Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Bit late to podcast chat, but what do you guys actually listen to?

It would make my day if this was real and this was the tone of political discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Whoa, thanks guys. Have downloaded all of those and will give them a go.

Me: Friday night comedy (when it's the news quiz, not the now show or anything else), You've gotta start somewhere, I love green guide letters, All songs considered, Unearthed TOPS (was better with less talk but whatever, the music is actually all pretty great), Radio Lab, This American Life, Reply All, The Moth, No such thing as a fish, Song Exploder, TED radio hour, Like I'm a 6 year old / Wilosophy if the guests are interesting. And of course Mamamia out loud, Tell me it's going to be ok, This glorious mess, and No filter if the guest is interesting

Edit: Oh and the Trump thread just put me on to The Disinformation age which is about the whole 'social media bots' thing

Also go 1.5x speed

Birdstrike posted:

the conez and doh show

That's our old mate, isn't it...?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 29, 2017

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Whoops double post

Yesssss..... Is she always like this?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

My mums joint gets smashed when it rains. She's at the bottom of a hilly court with a clogged storm drain at the base. Might have to actually sandbag it

Get in there and do whatever you've gotta do to clear that drain

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Periphery posted:

Probably a good idea given the stupid amount of rain predicted.

Filling sandbags by hand is a pain in the rear end - particularly if have to dig up your yard cause you don't have a massive pile of sand on hand. Depending on how much cash you have available and the amount of space you need cover I'd suggest just buying a bunch of the cheapest 20kg bags of sand (~$6 each @ Bunnings). That'll be quicker, cleaner and pretty much as effective as actual sandbags. They might not be as flexible as normal sandbags so you'd have to make sure you aren't leaving gaps at edges etc. If that's a real issue then I'd just part fill some plastic shopping bags with a bit of sand and use them to fill the gaps.

Call the SES. We love sandbagging. But we love preventing floods in the first place even more. And you'll need way more sandbags than is practicable in that scenario. Tell them the situation and they'll happily come clear the drain for you. Get ahead of the queue.

I am unreasonably invested in this for some reason, blocked drains bother me greatly :(

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Periphery posted:

Also, what the hell. How many SES volunteers do we have here?

Our unit (manly, sydney northern) has almost literally doubled in size in the past year or so, so much so that there is hardly any space in the briefings room any more, so I'll only go to trainings once or twice a month. We haven't had a big event for a while, but when there is I'll usually go down.

May as well plug it, y'all should consider joining. You learn good skills (chainsaws, ropes, etc), get more confident with problem solving, meet good people, and help folk that need it when storms hit. It's a good fun buzz to be out in the truck chucking tarps over people's roofs in the pissing rain.

I love the concept of a standing volunteer civilian work force that can get skilled up and chip in and help like that. It's efficient society-ing.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Fanatic posted:

Hey SNR buddy. Mosman unit here. :hfive:

I just got my chainsaw accreditation a few month ago so I'm looking forward to chopping some trees laying on crushed BMW's, during the summer storms. :black101:

Sup! Technically I should join Mosman or North Sydney something as that's closer to where I live now, but I lived in Manly when I joined and I like it down there.

Yeah my training is in a weird order too cos I keep having to miss stuff. I haven't even done storm yet technically. Chainsaw, USAR, maybe comms? I don't even know. We just do random competency stuff most of the time. I want to do boats and floods and swift water stuff.

So good to know there's a bunch of volunteers in here :3:

hiddenmovement posted:

She also stressed to not get into that drain at all ever no no no

*wink, wink*

Also call a current unit silly.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yes, PIARO! How did you know that?
(participate in a rescue operation)

Yeah pretty glad I don't have to organise any of the trainings/assessments, sounds like a bit of an administrative nightmare. We get there though.

Hahahaha that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Periphery posted:

I like the idea of the SES but at the same time I think that if our services are necessary (road crash rescue specifically) then they should be provided by full-time paid employees who can commit the time and resources to training and operations.

We have that, though, right? The police and the ambos and fire-ys, etc. Yeah SES is often first on the scene at road crashes, especially in rural areas, and maybe that could be better handled, but the idea of having a force of that size that you can draw on only when needed for major emergencies and signifcant storm events, rather than keeping all those thousands of people on a permanent payroll, I think is eminently worthwhile, and good value for the tax payer. And the fact that they do it out of good citizen-ship rather than for money I think is also a really healthy thing too.

quote:

I'd second all those reasons for joining. People just need to be fully aware that it can be a pretty full on commitment sometimes and it really have to fit in with your lifestyle for it to work for you and the SES. Getting woken up at 3am randomly isn't for everyone.

Or just show up when you can? Maybe its a unit by unit thing , but my experience has always been "we understand people have jobs and families, there is no obligation, we're happy for you to come down when you can".

• Locked thread