Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you guys like Metal Gear you should really be watching Project Itoh Genocidal Organ as it's very much Metal Gear rear end Metal Gear poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm glad the original voice actors are back in Life is Strange, gently caress non-union scabs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm glad the original voice actors are back in Life is Strange, gently caress non-union scabs.

Eh, the new actors do a decent job (a few are nearly indistinguishable from the originals, Joyce and Nathan for example) and the game's still good regardless (hoping it can manage to stick the landing though).

Plus the whole fiasco is really more Square's fault than it is Deck Nine's. Still nice to have the originals back for at least one episode though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 30, 2017

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Larryb posted:

Eh, the new actors do a decent job (a few are nearly indistinguishable from the originals, Joyce and Nathan for example) and the whole fiasco is really more Square's fault than it is Deck Nine's. Still nice to have the originals back for at least one episode though.

I don't care if the new voice actors are better than the originals, don't cross a picket line. Now read my diatribe about capitalism and the need for strong unions in every work force!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
No one even suggesting new thread titles? Shameful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't care if the new voice actors are better than the originals, don't cross a picket line. Now read my diatribe about capitalism and the need for strong unions in every work force!

Square wasn't even actually one of the companies struck by the SAG-AFTRA strike, it was their LA affiliate Backlight Studios that they contract out for voice work. Square could have signed all the original VAs to their own separate contracts but chose not to, and most of the non-union VAs didn't even know they were doing a Life is Strange game until they were already hired, as is the case with many projects in the industry. So yes unions are important, but the blame here is almost totally with Square since it was within their power to avoid the whole situation to begin with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My stance on supporting labor should be clear but the LiS situation got clouded by the fact that Ashly Burch, while not voicing the project, collaborated with the devs of Before the Storm. Like, she worked on the writing of Chloe, so if you have the union member crossing the picket line to write the dialogue performed by the non-union worker, things have already been compromised pretty hard

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

To be fair it's not like the developers probably had a choice in the matter, the whole project was just poorly timed. Though they could have probably negotiated some kind of deal with the original actors (I think Ashly Burch did another voice acting role for a seperate game while the strike was still going on for example).

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My stance on supporting labor should be clear but the LiS situation got clouded by the fact that Ashly Burch, while not officially working on the project, performed unofficial uncredited collaboration with the devs of Before the Storm

Actually, she's officially credited in the game as a writer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Larryb posted:

Actually, she's officially credited in the game as a writer.

Yep, corrected my original post!

The games situation is really fuckin' muddy, especially for a consumer who wants to support labor. A part of me feels bad for buying Injustice 2 because that was a struck game and it clearly shows in the voice lines and how they got reused

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nina posted:

The only good part about MGSV story was revealing how much Strangelove hated Huey and remained gay to the Boss until the end. Otacon is the Boss' meme son

the boss... what, loved anime? :henget:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of persona 5 and i finally got back to it and pushed through the annoying dungeon only to find the annoying dungeon's boss has an annoying boss fight that is timed hahaha gently caress you game

please tell me it doesn't get any worse than this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's been a few months but I cannot honestly remember what you might be talking about. I don't think I could describe any of the dungeons in the game as annoying so that doesn't help.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there is a timed boss but you have so long that it doesn't matter, and if you fail the fight you probably just died well before you ran out of time anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

there is a timed boss but you have so long that it doesn't matter, and if you fail the fight you probably just died well before you ran out of time anyway

that's good to know. yeah my whole party wiped in one round because of the stupid exploding gimmick

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

speaking of persona 5 and i finally got back to it and pushed through the annoying dungeon only to find the annoying dungeon's boss has an annoying boss fight that is timed hahaha gently caress you game

please tell me it doesn't get any worse than this

if you're talking about the businessman boss with the robots, that battle is so piss easy and the timer doesn't even matter, how on earth did you wipe from it? every robot has their own affinity weakness so just keep hitting them and you'll literally never take damage

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Keep Hrist in Christmas

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

that's good to know. yeah my whole party wiped in one round because of the stupid exploding gimmick

Is it the big burger bomb one? If a character has the hungry status effect, that attack heals them.

Playing on hard, I didn't find the time limit to be the real issue there, but that attack's pretty nasty if you can't block it or absorb it. That's the only timed thing, though, and if I remember correctly the couple of dungeons after it are pretty great.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the hardest fight was the artist, after that it was morgana doing mediaramas all the time and the high five baton passes

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Saint Freak posted:

No backlog November

Or, more realistically:

No game November

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's going to be december you dingdong

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
December Chat Thread: Wii Wish U A Merry Switchmas

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
there's december within, too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that one, go with that one

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cowcaster posted:

...You're not my Mum December.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
6/10 decentber

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Games (chat) of the year

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

December to Remember: Gaming Away the Holidays Again

Gamember Gamemas Gamechat

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Cowcaster posted:

I like this for a thread title.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Olive! posted:

I like this for a thread title.
Second

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This is a really good and chill video about why you don't cross picket lines, and it's centered around a game, too! (a fleshrealm port of Madden)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's beginning to look a lot like Switchmas

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that 99.99% of steam's userbase interacts with it the same way i do which is:

-never look at the discovery queue
-never read steam reviews
-never look at steam community
-never deal with steam cards

steam's functionality is to download games to my computer, and occasionally take screenshots

This is pretty much what I do, although I also wishlist stuff that's a "I'll buy this if it goes on sale low enough". I used to just log on and browse but you really can't now that it has become such a garbage tsunami.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like checking out the new releases, even if a bunch of them are garbage

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Purple Monkey posted:

So I've been playing Ni No Kuni and just finished Hamelin and a bunch of the side quests but, am kind of hitting a wall in terms of staying interested, does story take a turn any time soon or does it remain standard issue JRPG?

Ni No Kuni is just a kinda lousy game that skates by on charm. Gameplay-wise it's pretty much a really bad Tales game crossed with a really bad Pokemon game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They named the 12th month of the year December.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Sims ber

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ni No Kuni came out between consoles and if it wasn't basically the only thing available I would've dumped it. There is no reason to not play even a mediocre game released in 2017 over it.

That said I just learned the sequel has a Suikoden style management thing so I already preordered without thinking.

edit: at least watch all the cutscenes, they're fantastic.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I’m gaming on a white christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

That said I just learned the sequel has a Suikoden style management thing so I already preordered without thinking.

please stop

• Locked thread