Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

What is .hack GU?
the sixth .hack game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Franchise gets its start with 4 clunky, short (but full priced at $50) games. Gameplay is borderline menu-based, but the story while batshit is a fun little mystery about some sadsack programmer accidentally taking his obsession with some author and creating the next step in sentient artificial intelligence before offing himself. Oh yeah, the whole thing is set in an MMO. So the whole thing is a pseudo MMO. 2002-2003

The next big entry into the franchise (ignore the side games, if they even came stateside which I don't think they did) attempted to fix the whole clunky unpleasantness of the first four games' gameplay. Enter .hack//GU from 2006-2007. Combat is definitely improved, the grinding is slightly more palatable, but there's no far out charm with this one. It's straight shonen anime. Three games this time, so you pay $150 for the whole thing as opposed to $200, but overall the dip in story quality really hurt the series for me.

Add to all this a collection of various anime series, OVAs and such, as well as light novels and manga, and the story kinda exploded all over the place and lost a lot of focus. The first four games and its anime, .hack//Sign, focused on the mystery of this weird MMO everyone was playing. The next three games and its anime, .hack//Roots, focused on the advent of this even newer form of AI that would like...possess people, I guess? All it did in game was give them black eyes, so whatever. Also .hack//GU does have the one nifty moment of one of your antagonists being a lovely 10 year old kid IRL, I think.

I used to be really into .hack because I was a goddamn idiot with my money.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I kind of want to play Nioh again on PC.

Didn't get the DLC on ps4 either so there would be some new stuff to do too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

the sixth .hack game

I thought it was an HD re-release of three .hack games?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I've been hearing a lot of praise for AC:O so I think that will be my November game. I should probably try to beat something I bought in October first, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

al-azad posted:

It is plus a new fourth game they made for the G.U. series.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

yeah, the GU trilogy, 6, 7, and 8

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

why is 6 afraid of 7? because cyber connect 2 made almost a dozen distinct .hack games

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm surprised Capcom is rereleasing Apollo Justice

I thought they wanted that dark age of law relegated to the scrapbin of history

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

got to culmina crater and I've finally decided, 600 moons in, that this is a good game

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Not a single game i'm interested in this month.

I'll probably get Mario Odyssey

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I might play Nioh again if the PC port is good :pray:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/BangBangClick/status/925419429206380544

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Hey, I'm not saying I'm getting or want one, it's just funny to me that this is like MS last attempt at this and no one seems to give a poo poo that it's even coming out, though it's hard for me to tell if that's how it is everywhere or just around here.

Its not their last attempt its their way of getting a couple million people to trade up to a luxury model.

Rabbid blackface?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the Unity face bug

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol oops

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

yeah, the GU trilogy, 6, 7, and 8

What's the fifth game then?

.hack//fragment?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's good to see kaz hirai is still alive (and selling robot dogs)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

It's good to see kaz hirai is still alive (and selling robot dogs)

He was just recognized as the savior of sony and the mastermind of its new era of financial health for strangling off everything except ps4 and phone camera components

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon DLC in a week!!!

I am very excited for this. The other day I was thinking, I could buy the new Assassin's Creed, but wouldn't I rather go shoot more robot dinosaurs instead?

I actually have no idea what to expect from the DLC. I know there's a new area and new quests and stuff. Will there be new types of machines to fight? Any new weapons?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Playing this month: Horizon Zero Dawn DLC, Pokemon Ultra Sun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I am very excited for this. The other day I was thinking, I could buy the new Assassin's Creed, but wouldn't I rather go shoot more robot dinosaurs instead?

I actually have no idea what to expect from the DLC. I know there's a new area and new quests and stuff. Will there be new types of machines to fight? Any new weapons?

Here's the rundown based on everything I can find about it:

- Whole new subzone that connects to the main world.
- Can be done at any point in the story although it's expected you'll be near the end.
- Max level raised to 60, new skills like machine repair and flying mount strike.
- 10-15 hours of gameplay with an overarching storyline and side quests.
- At least 3 new machines, 3 new bows and 3 new outfits.
- Possibly a spear upgrade and new weapon types.
- Possible big bad robot endboss (a metal devil maybe?)

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Harrow posted:

It's an expansion with a new skill tree, new items, new enemies, and a new environment. It also has updates to the animation and camera when talking to NPCs. It looks about the size of Witcher 3's Heart of Stone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Here's the rundown based on everything I can find about it:

Sunning posted:

It's an expansion with a new skill tree, new items, new enemies, and a new environment. It also has updates to the animation and camera when talking to NPCs. It looks about the size of Witcher 3's Heart of Stone.

Excellent. I'm surprised there's even a new skill tree.

Horizon was probably the biggest surprise of the year for me--I expected to find it a bland Ubisoft knock-off with cool-looking monsters and instead got something like The Witcher 3, but with less-impressive quests and much better combat. So I'm certainly not going to turn my nose up at more of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are some neat extra effects that Guerrilla managed to patch into the main game as well, such as proper terrain deformation when Aloy stomps through snow and water ripples.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh boy i forgot okami was coming out this month and someone reminded me okami was coming out this month

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Been super-busy moving and setting up new house so not a lot of gaming going on the past few weeks- got to crack into Mario Odyssey for a bit so maybe I'll have time to finish it this month.

That's a lotta moons

Cowcaster posted:

oh boy i forgot okami was coming out this month and someone reminded me okami was coming out this month

like another HD remaster?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

like another HD remaster?

yeah http://store.steampowered.com/app/587620/OKAMI_HD/

also apparently it's not the end of this month but mid december, boo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

There are some neat extra effects that Guerrilla managed to patch into the main game as well, such as proper terrain deformation when Aloy stomps through snow and water ripples.

Oh sweet. I did notice there weren't any footprints in the snow when I played after it came out, but I suppose it makes sense they'd want to get that working before an entirely snowy expansion.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

yeah http://store.steampowered.com/app/587620/OKAMI_HD/

also apparently it's not the end of this month but mid december, boo

Look

It's Okami

It's the best dogwolf game ever

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I love that so many awesome games came out this year that people are relieved this month is relatively light so they can actually play their accumulated games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

I love that so many awesome games came out this year that people are relieved this month is relatively light so they can actually play their accumulated games

I got a Switch for Mario but now that I've played that I can't decide what Switch game I should get next.

Plus I already have a couple of other games but the switch is new and shiny and calling to me...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Nice typo, thread title

...what?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Regy Rusty posted:

I got a Switch for Mario but now that I've played that I can't decide what Switch game I should get next.

Plus I already have a couple of other games but the switch is new and shiny and calling to me...
Zelda would be the obvious other choice, if you didn't get it on Wii U. I also was kind of blown away from Mario Kart despite owning it on Wii U due to it finally having battle arena tracks and just kind of looking somehow amazing in handheld mode. I haven't played it yet but Mario+Rabbids would probably be the other big option.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I secretly edited it when I stickied it
:laughingNESdog:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Zelda would be the obvious other choice, if you didn't get it on Wii U. I also was kind of blown away from Mario Kart despite owning it on Wii U due to it finally having battle arena tracks and just kind of looking somehow amazing in handheld mode. I haven't played it yet but Mario+Rabbids would probably be the other big option.

A world does not exist where I don't play Zelda the day it is released.

Mario + Rabbids is probably going to be my top pick unless I go for some indie game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Oh. Thanks and sorry about that :blush:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My Switch is supposed to come in the mail today but it still hasn't shipped yet. :smith:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VideoGames posted:

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Regy Rusty posted:

A world does not exist where I don't play Zelda the day it is released.

Mario + Rabbids is probably going to be my top pick unless I go for some indie game
The Switch does have a pretty good indie-ish lineup for a number of games if one never got them on PC or elsewhere, like Sonic Mania, Axiom Verge, Cave Story, Stardew Valley, and Shovel Knight.

• Locked thread