Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Night in the Woods is supposedly coming to Switch soon as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Golf Story! Snake Pass! Puyo Tetris! Spla2n!

Was bomberman any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They managed to patch it into something resembling decency, yes.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The new CoD game has lootboxes that fall from the sky onto the beaches of Normandy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

A world does not exist where I don't play Zelda the day it is released.

Mario + Rabbids is probably going to be my top pick unless I go for some indie game

Steamworld Dig 2 is cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

:capitalism:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:lol: I thought maybe it would be like the care package from past games but it looks like some drat gatcha from a phone game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If only grandad had spent $9.99 on an phat epic purple vest he'd still be with us.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Feel like we're hitting the peak of shoehorning lootboxes into every big game lol

Has to stop/slow down eventually yeah?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Wamdoodle posted:

:lol: I thought maybe it would be like the care package from past games but it looks like some drat gatcha from a phone game.

Even better, the boxes are opened in a social space so a whole bunch of potential rubes can see when someone opens something good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

COD has had lootboxes since AW

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monkey Fracas posted:

Feel like we're hitting the peak of shoehorning lootboxes into every big game lol

Not until people stop buying them, and since loot box opening is now apparently an entire genre of streaming they're probably sticking around for a good long while.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
God loving dammit you loving shitbrains are losing us this match! I've been watching you GokuWeedLord69 you haven't bought even a single box! You're loving costing us the game!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

If financial reports are to be believed it's been very profitable for publishers for very little overhead, which means you'll probably see increasingly insidious forms of lootboxes until things reach a saturation point and some alternate way of fleecing nerds for money is discovered.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn’t get a job I didn’t want. How should I celebrate / mourn?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr Cheeto posted:

Even better, the boxes are opened in a social space so a whole bunch of potential rubes can see when someone opens something good.

There needs to be a confetti drop when you get a legendary

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Gun Skins of Navarone

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I didn’t get a job I didn’t want. How should I celebrate / mourn?

Play Super Mario Odyssey

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

haveblue posted:

Not until people stop buying them, and since loot box opening is now apparently an entire genre of streaming they're probably sticking around for a good long while.

This will never happen as these companies are only getting better at exploiting gambling psychology and there's always going to be a subset of gamers who are especially susceptible to those pressures.

The only thing that's gonna stop it is government regulation in a major market.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

If only grandad had spent $9.99 on an phat epic purple vest he'd still be with us.

Hey gently caress you my grandfather died in Auschwitz... he fell off a lootbox lmao!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Steamworld Dig 2 is cool

I didn't really like the first one because it felt kind of unfocused. Is the second one better?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't really like the first one because it felt kind of unfocused. Is the second one better?

You've always got a clear objective in Dig 2, but they're more spread out this time. There are multiple caverns to dig down through, with lots of little side rooms hiding a collectible or two.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Little brother, sitting on the couch next his big bro who just got back from Afganistan. Playing his murder sim, talking guns with the vet and learning that miltalk to use when he calls in his next kill streak reward. Little bro casually goes through the motions of opening a few loot boxes and big bro starts to furrow his brow, getting legit angry that equipment is literally falling out of the sky for this snot-nosed kid while he had to practically beg his mother to slip some ceramic inserts into his care package after watching his new best friend get chewed up by enemy fire.

"So," little bro starts to ask, "you ever teabag someone in real life?"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sorry to beat the lootbox drum again but this industry is finding increasingly effective ways to harness the power of pathological gambling to pad their bottom line.

Also this is gauche as gently caress even for this dumbass war game lol

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 1, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
A lootbox drops from the sky but you can't kill people with it, what a missed opportunity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

not until it stops making money. and right now they raking in the big bucks so it will probably only get worse

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Wamdoodle posted:

More importantly, other players can see your loot box drop and what items you get out of it. A lot streamers already make a spectacle of lootboxes/gacha summons so this seems like a natural step. Got to keep up with the digital Joneses.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Only a small amount of whales have to buy lootboxes to make them worthwhile. Most players play casually and do not spend money on microtransactions/loot boxes. Whales tend to be very specialized in what they play and treat their games as a 'lifestyle game.' So different games can have very successful monetization systems since there is little overlap in whales who make up the bulk of each individual game's revenue.

In a way, microtransactions can help smaller developers, such as Grinding Gear Games or Digital Extremes, compete with larger companies since they have dedicated fanbases to make up for their smaller size or lack of mainstream appeal. Most small and mid-sized developers were forced out of the market when their $60 game had to compete with EA/Acti-Blizzard/Take2/Ubisoft.

We can also see this in the Japanese gacha mobile game segment where games with niche appeal can compete with more mainstream brands in terms of revenue since the former attracts more power spenders. A licensed anime game with a hardcore fanbase can easily out earn a global brand like Sonic the Hedgehog. It's why we're seeing so many 90s anime revivals on mobile, such as DBZ Dokkan Battle and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links, do well since kids who grew up watching these shows are now working adults with money.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sakurazuka posted:

They managed to patch it into something resembling decency, yes.

That uh does not sound like what I would call “good”

exquisite tea posted:

Hey gently caress you my grandfather died in Auschwitz... he fell off a lootbox lmao!

:catstare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like Housemarque's done making the types of games Housemarque makes.

http://www.housemarque.com/arcade-is-dead/

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
My remake of Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks just purchases the $99.99 Unlimited Infantry Platinum Tier Booster Pack (Best Value!) and the entire movie is only 8 minutes long.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

Looks like Housemarque's done making the types of games Housemarque makes.

http://www.housemarque.com/arcade-is-dead/

Is it lootboxes?

gently caress, I knew I was forgetting a game last month. I need to get Nex Machina and make some time for that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dauntless, an actual free to play game, has apparently decided to drop loot boxes, which gets it more of my attention. I think it's a monster hunter clone with a neat art style so right up my alley, but I don't recall whether it's actually out yet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sunning posted:

Only a small amount of whales have to buy lootboxes to make them worthwhile. Most players play casually and do not spend money on microtransactions/loot boxes. Whales tend to be very specialized in what they play and treat their games as a 'lifestyle game.' So different games can have very successful monetization systems since there is little overlap in whales who make up the bulk of each individual game's revenue.

The end of lootboxes is probably either diminishing returns so they aren't worth it anymore (like you said above the more I think about it the less likely this seems since they're easy to implement and essentially free money) or federal regulation classifying it as gambling/regulating it as "basically gambling" and kinda creating a new class for it

Sunning posted:

More importantly, other players can see your loot box drop and what items you get out of it. A lot streamers already make a spectacle of lootboxes/gacha summons so this seems like a natural step. Got to keep up with the digital Joneses.

like I thought IRL unboxing videos were bad lol

this is some kinda new twisted consumerist low

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Dauntless, an actual free to play game, has apparently decided to drop loot boxes, which gets it more of my attention. I think it's a monster hunter clone with a neat art style so right up my alley, but I don't recall whether it's actually out yet.

There is absolutely zero chance I'm going to try a f2p hunting game when there's an actual new MH game coming soon

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Does anyone have some decent articles about the weaponized gambling elements of microtransactions?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

drat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aren't single player titles selling just fine though?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My gut reaction would that this would almost be satire or a headfake of some sort considering how closely it matches the wording and sentiment of the Visceral closure press release, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it lootboxes?

gently caress, I knew I was forgetting a game last month. I need to get Nex Machina and make some time for that

It's on sale this week so good timing on remembering that game

• Locked thread