Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Playing this month: Horizon Zero Dawn DLC, Pokemon Ultra Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Hard to do longform analysis on games on release, when most reviewers don't have access to review copies really early.

And releasing stuff like that later isn't beneficial to most consumers either, who want to buy the thing right now. Not to mention the site losing out on early review clicks that directly convert to more money.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

exquisite tea posted:

The new Horizon DLC areas look insane. Very excited for the future of vidya game aesthetics.

What I can't get over is how good the engine is. Not only is it pretty, it runs remarkably well, even on a normal PS4.

I was absolutely floored by how good blizzards look in the expansion zones. Albeit they also make life very difficult, because they limit visibility so well.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Palpek posted:

Wait, the expansion is out? How big is it, TW3 expansion big? Does it continue the story or is it something parallel?

Came out yesterday. Not entirely sure about the size, but I've seen 15ish hours quoted for it. It's a parallel sidestory. You even have Sylens berate you for going on a side adventure, rather than focusing on more pressing matters. Aloy quickly tells him off and goes anyway. :haw:

But even at first glance it does seem to connect to the main story, just not directly.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Sefal posted:

I've finally started Horizon Zero Dawn. I just got past the proving, This game so far has been amazing. Alloy is awesome.

game good

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Brought to you by MONTANA RECREATIONS!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
HZD is pretty harsh with the commentary on capitalism, and I love it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Palpek posted:

I really enjoyed the main story of HZD. On one hand it's your typical post-apocalyptic scenario but on the other it has great details and its own twists and I loved that they fully realized the post- part while giving enough exposure to the pre- part for it to be satisfactory.

I super enjoyed the more sombre tone it had with the pre-apocalypse stuff. The genre has been kinda oversaturated by fallout-styled irony and satire, and it was kinda :unsmith: reading and listening all the reactions different people had to the apocalypse in HZD. They felt a lot more realistic and sincere than the usual ones.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Really Pants posted:

The Talos Principle has lots of that too, if you like first-person puzzles.

I've played it, and it is also good. SOMA also deals with similar subjects. Been a good few years for this kinda sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I have never even heard of Sims Medieval, despite loving the series a lot during 1-3. I think they just fundamentally hosed up the marketing somehow, or intentionally played it cool.

• Locked thread