Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just had a look on some sites and I did actually see some terraced houses for £40k though most are a bit higher, but still. That's insane, is Stoke that much of a shithole? Good way to get on the property ladder if you work from home I guess. Or you could commute to Brum. A full time minimum wage job in Stoke means that house is like 2.5 times your salary. What the gently caress is going on in Stoke?

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Ninpo posted:

How well do you expect Stoke to be performing then, given their location, pulling power for good players etc? They never seem in any danger of relegation and they had a tough start to the season if I recall as far as fixtures go.

Not all manager posts are created equal, a record like that would be far more dire at Chelsea than at Stoke.

I want to see some progress. Stoke have been part of the premier league for 10 years now and both managers have been given a lot of time and patience to get the players they want in and get the team playing how they want to play. Getting a top ten finish would be nice again, maybe in the long term the occasional top 8 and european qualification would be fantastic and probably about as far as club the size of Stoke could go barring a massive fluke like what Leicester achieved. A cup run would be nice again but we failed to achieve that in the last two seasons, being knocked out by Hull(reserves), Wolves(reserves) and this season Bristol City(reserves) all within the first two rounds of the cup. It's not like I'm expecting a top 4 finish.

We only secured safety on the final game of last season so its not like relegation is completely unthinkable. We did have a tough start this season and we actually did a lot better than I expected yet we've followed that up with 1 win in our last 5 against teams that are pretty beatable, including losing against Palace who are rock bottom and Bournemouth who were in the bottom 3 when we played them. Next up is Liverpool tomorrow in which we'll get thrashed and a must win game against Swansea on Saturday or the chances are we'll be in the bottom 3.

I don't see how the location of Stoke is relevant at all. Most players live in mansions in Cheshire, just like most players at both Manchester clubs. They're millionaires, they aren't going to slum it in a 2 bed terrace in Abbey Hulton. Stoke-on-Trent might be a shithole but its 40 miles away from Manchester and Birmingham and 50 miles away from Liverpool. It's not like its a backwater a million miles away from civilisation.

In the last 18 months the results have been poor (we've averaged about a point per game), the football has been poor, there have been no cup runs and the vast majority of the signings we've made have been poor. No poo poo he'd be sacked if he was at Chelsea, most managers with his record haven't survived at smaller clubs.

At the end of last season Hughes decided that he was going to play a back three and wing backs despite having no natural wing backs at the club. He then signed 0 wing backs in the summer preferring to play a striker there. He should be sacked for that ineptitude alone.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just had a look on some sites and I did actually see some terraced houses for £40k though most are a bit higher, but still. That's insane, is Stoke that much of a shithole? Good way to get on the property ladder if you work from home I guess. Or you could commute to Brum. Surely even a minimum wage job in Stoke though means that house is 3 times your salary. What the gently caress is going on in Stoke

yes

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just had a look on some sites and I did actually see some terraced houses for £40k though most are a bit higher, but still. That's insane, is Stoke that much of a shithole? Good way to get on the property ladder if you work from home I guess. Or you could commute to Brum. Surely even a full time minimum wage job in Stoke means that house is 3 times your salary. What the gently caress is going on in Stoke?

They had a deal about 3 years ago where you could buy some ex-council houses for a quid as long as you sign up to a 20k loan to get the house back in livable condition. Shame it was in one of the grimmest areas of the city.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Honestly, location of a club is not the huge barrier it's made out to be. It literally is just money and the chance to win things. How else can you explain people willingly living in Manchester?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Meat Wagon posted:

At the end of last season Hughes decided that he was going to play a back three and wing backs despite having no natural wing backs at the club. He then signed 0 wing backs in the summer preferring to play a striker there. He should be sacked for that ineptitude alone.

lol

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Vinestalk posted:

Honestly, location of a club is not the huge barrier it's made out to be. It literally is just money and the chance to win things. How else can you explain people willingly living in Manchester?

easy access to prime real estate in Burnley?

Woodbine Road, BURNLEY, Lancashire
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51551649.html

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

That bathroom. Jesus wept.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Shrapnig posted:

Mortgage: 71 GBP/month.

I pay more for cable internet.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

I have seen far worse in Stoke. Thatcher did a job on everything north of London.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Nice being 2-0 up against Newcastle and then chucking it away with Pardiola about to take over

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vinestalk posted:

The trick to living in Manchester is to not live in Manchester - there's a tiny patch of Cheshire near the Peak District where all of the United/City players actually live and where everyone else is a tech millionaire.

Liverpool players have now realised that they can also live there and just commute an hour each way to work, which means not living in Liverpool and also not having to listen to insane rants about Bill Shankly any time you go to Homebase for some bathroom tiles

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

RideTheSpiral posted:

Burnley has to be hell on earth, there are just blocks and blocks of places like this. People in the 3rd world don't even live that way. I wonder how people can even tell which place is theirs sometimes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...feaa828ce73e4cb

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Probably by the smell of the delicious meal their wife is preparing for when they get home after a long day earning honest pay

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Burnley has to be hell on earth, there are just blocks and blocks of places like this. People in the 3rd world don't even live that way. I wonder how people can even tell which place is theirs sometimes.

I refuse to believe this is in a first world country.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

African AIDS cum posted:

This is bizarre. The houses seem to be occupied, but there are no people and no cars.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
People that live in places like that cannot afford cars and rely on public transport.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I do like how the street signs are immaculately white, the local government is at least doing something.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I do like how the street signs are immaculately white, the local government is at least doing something.

White right of ways matter.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

White right of ways matter.

I keep thinking about gentrification in the US and speculating on property blocks in the UK but there's nothing redeeming in these major cities.

It's like trying to gentrify the Midwest. What's the business plan for trying to displace white people so more white people can move in?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shrapnig posted:

I keep thinking about gentrification in the US and speculating on property blocks in the UK but there's nothing redeeming in these major cities.

It's like trying to gentrify the Midwest. What's the business plan for trying to displace white people so more white people can move in?

You get multicultural Londoners to move in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

You get multicultural Londoners to move in.

Not in Burnley.

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
Arsenal are 4th with a game in hand, these truly are heady days

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

quiet enjoyment posted:

Tottenham will likely be 7th by tomorrow night and I’m legit surprised by it

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Of course now that I’ve said that Pool will lose to Stoke 1-0 because you know, Liverpool

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

quiet enjoyment posted:

Anyone know what’s going on with Spurs? It’s tough to slide down the table when you have a striker who is scoring a goal a game.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

They've run Eriksen into the ground (with Denmarks help) and Alli has been awful. The rest of their midfield just hasn't been good enough to make up for it

Liverpool need to click off a bunch of wins the next five weeks. Arsenal is the only decent team they play through the end of the year

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

blue footed boobie posted:

Anyone know what’s going on with Spurs? It’s tough to slide down the table when you have a striker who is scoring a goal a game.

They are the spine of England's World Cup squad, so it is time for them to turn to poo poo

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Vertonghen is an arrogant coward who only looks good sitting next to other, competent defenders

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

When my cousin was thinking about where to get a house in the potteries she was priced out of where she wanted to go by people commuting to London each morning. Anywhere with a direct train line to London will be gentrified.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Commute from Stoke to London? :pwn:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

julian assflange posted:

Commute from Stoke to London? :pwn:

1h 30 on the train. Plenty of people do that.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

quiet enjoyment posted:

There are no words; I'm somewhat happy but also bricking it. I'm just anticipating some sort of fuckery.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
west brom are loving up big time and giving pardew a 3 year contract

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
pards, woy, allardycio, the boys are all back in town

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
imo it’s hosed up that there are only 5 managers in all of football

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

blue footed boobie posted:

Wembley

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Santi Cazorla has undergone another surgery on his achilles. It's looking more and more likely that he'll never play again.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/29/santi-cazorla-arsenal-return-ninth-operation-injury-achilles

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

gregbest90 posted:

There are no words; I'm somewhat happy but also bricking it. I'm just anticipating some sort of fuckery.

Usually they’re in the top 3 at this point, then they’re fighting by 4th by February. If anything, this puts them on track for 7th.

Shrapnig posted:

Santi Cazorla has undergone another surgery on his achilles. It's looking more and more likely that he'll never play again.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/29/santi-cazorla-arsenal-return-ninth-operation-injury-achilles

I thought he was done before this last setback, but yeah this absolutely has to be it. Hopefully they’ll be able to put his foot back on so that he can get a big payday in China or something before he retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He'll be lucky to walk. He's not going to play football in China.

• Locked thread