Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue80QwXMRHg

Given the broad consensus that Thor is the dullest of the Avengers, Marvel appears to be pushing his third movie even harder into comedy, which means that the foppish vampire from What We Do in the Shadows is making a big budget blockbuster. If he makes a movie consistent with his history, this could be a lot of fun. Or maybe he's going to have been strangled by the machine. Only time will tell.

In terms of plot, a bad person takes over Asgard, so Thor ends up on a quest to retake his throne and restore the status quo. I'm guessing he'll succeed. The film stars:

Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Tom Hiddleston as Loki

Cate Blanchett as Hela

Idris Elba as Heimdall

Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster

Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie

Karl Urban as Skurge

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / Hulk

Anthony Hopkins as Odin

The film started opening in various places on October 24th and opens on November 3rd in the United States.

https://i.imgur.com/suQteWs.gifv

As usual, I'll be updating the OP with non-spoilery goon reviews:

Wandle Cax posted:

Thor Ragnarok is very good.

Please use spoiler tags until November 17 to give a two-week window in which people can read spoiler-free reactions.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Thor Ragnarok is very good.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Thor Ragnarok is a thrill ride for all ages

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a good film for good people.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Thor: Memealot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Good, funny as hell film. We need more Cate Blanchett in heavy eyeliner vamping about.

I'm penciling in "I HAVE BEEN FALLING FOR THIRTY MINUTES" as the best line.

Oh, and Hulk and Valkyrie totally hosed at some point, right?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 3, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you remotely enjoyed this, you should watch Taika Waititi's What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

MisterBibs posted:

I think Thor's story about the time Loki tricked him by pretending to be a snake was the hardest I've laughed at a film all year.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Vegetable posted:

If you remotely enjoyed this, you should watch Taika Waititi's What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

I am stoked for all his follow-ups, including the werewolf-centered sequel, What We Do in the Shadows US TV series, and the proposed series/miniseries following those two somewhat clueless NZ cops investigating all the paranormal disturbances in Wellington.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Personally loved The Who is the grandmaster set to 'Pure Imagination' and all of Korg, "Oh mate! Your hammer pulled you off?" I'll admit I was afraid that We weren't going to get to see Skurge stand alone at Gjallerbru."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm not really a fan of the comedy MCU films, but I enjoyed this one a great deal. Especially Korg, the soft spoken Kiwi rock Lenin (who then turned into a monarchist at the end)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MisterBibs posted:

Good, funny as hell film. We need more Cate Blanchett in heavy eyeliner vamping about.

Oh, and Hulk and Valkyrie totally hosed at some point, right?

I wanna say Yes, since they definitely have a thing going, but no because of the physiology.

What was the stinger?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It waa fine, 7/10. I thought it could have transitioned between its plots better and the final sequence was a bit lacking but still pretty good!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain_Person posted:

I think Thor's story about the time Loki tricked him by pretending to be a snake was the hardest I've laughed at a film all year.

The way Hemsworth said that was what sold it. That was the funniest line, hands down.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a Seventies van painting come to life

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

The way Hemsworth said that was what sold it. That was the funniest line, hands down.

Yeah, and all the lines during the colosseum fight were a highlight too. Thor has a really good personality in this one

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
:haw: "Hey Loki, look who it is!"
:stare: "I have to get off this planet."

Unrelated, I love the animation they did when Hulk is turning back to Bruce. Hulk clearly knows what's coming, is punching himself and throwing himself against things in a desperate attempt to get angry, and its just wonderful.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 3, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Any reason to see this in Imax or is this like other MCU offerings where there's like 1-2 scenes enhanced by it but the rest of the movie is pretty much the same?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It was to be frank, half assed done with the special effects, no real consistent polish. The green screen Norway screamed reshoots and I don't get why so difficult to film on location. The opening was shaky and they couldn't keep Hela's make up or look consistent which is inexcusable. Anthony Hopkins deffo didn't give a poo poo nor did Idris really which is a shame.

It was definitely funny, goofy, silly and entertaining and I support that but it was all the Marvel stuff in a flick but that was well done. Taking the piss out of things was good.

Cate Blanchett owned and was badass going ham and vamping. I seriously hope she's in Infinity War. I'd get a kick of she and Hugo as Skull shared the screen. Ruffalo and Hemsworth did a good job.

EDIT: Tessa Thompson was fun too and Goldblum is always great. Miek and Korge and Skurge were fun too.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 3, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Gatts posted:

The green screen Norway screamed reshoots and I don't get why so difficult to film on location.

It was a reshoot apparently, they shot it on location on a NY city set in Brisbane but decided it would be better off set in a deserted field

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was briefly in love with Goth Blanchett in this movie and then Tessa Thompson showed up :swoon:

Did feel the whole Dr. Strange bit could've been left out though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wandle Cax posted:

It was a reshoot apparently, they shot it on location on a NY city set in Brisbane but decided it would be better off set in a deserted field

Ah this makes sense. It was bugging me because I swore there was a shot in the trailer where Hela broke Thor's hammer in an ally way.

Good movie this one. Also check out Hunt for the Wilder People which owns and has Sam Neill in it.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
why is one of the Norse gods an African guy?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently Korg was inspired by Maori bouncers who are often huge but soft-spoken.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Aliens.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Just saw this, it was great. Favorite parts were definitely goldblum and waititi’s characters, so funny.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I absolutely loved Goldblum in this. I mean, I love him in anything but he seemed to be having so much fun here. 100 ft hologram Goldblum was actually really cool, visually.

I've not seen What We Do In the Shadows, but Hunt for the Wilderpeople is really great and should be checked out.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Idris Elba is English.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve2911 posted:

I've not seen What We Do In the Shadows

Rectify this.

Immediately.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

because they're not real mate

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Inescapable Duck posted:

Apparently Korg was inspired by Maori bouncers who are often huge but soft-spoken.

Yeah, he reminded me of a bunch of dudes I went to school with.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Because the older myths described that particular god as dark skinned, and accounts of the Vikings by people attacked by them described some of the Viking raiding parties as "Dark Foreigners".

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 3, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
This movie Ragna-rocked my world - The movie reminds me of Heavy Metal meets Mad Max, and it's :rock: as hell

My only complaint was that the movie moves at such a brisk pace that sometimes certain moments that are supposed to be a big deal/dramatic get lost in translation/glossed over. But man, this was a gorgeous movie.

Breakout characters for me are Valkyrie (the drunk Han Solo of the MCU) and Korg.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Because the older myths described that particular god as dark skinned, and accounts of the Vikings by people attacked by them described some of the Viking raiding parties as "Dark Foreigners".

Regarding Heimfall it was the other way around. He went by The white god.

Marvel doesn't follow Norse myth to the letter so it doesn't really matter. Hel was Loki's daughter in myth. As long as it's good and funny, let them go hog wild.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 3, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Watching this tomorrow. So, I'm ready for the always welcomed beefcake Thor scenes.

Also Taika Waititi.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Someone in the comics movies thread was asking about Kirby Krackle and when Hela first appears she steps out of a magic portal surrounded by Kirby Krackle.

CelticPredator posted:

Ah this makes sense. It was bugging me because I swore there was a shot in the trailer where Hela broke Thor's hammer in an ally way.

Also there's a bunch of set photos showing Anthony Hopkins dressed up as a homeless guy in New York which isn't in the film at all.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

My only complaint was that the movie moves at such a brisk pace that sometimes certain moments that are supposed to be a big deal/dramatic get lost in translation/glossed over. But man, this was a gorgeous movie.

Yeah there are a few scenes that should have had a bigger emotional impact but just weren't given room to breath, but that's about my only complaint. It's a big fun rollicking movie.

Also an easter egg I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet is that the Grand Master's tower is decorated with huge metal sculptures of the faces of arena champions and one is Beta Ray Bill.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Donnerberg posted:

Regarding Heimfall it was the other way around. He went by The white god.

Marvel doesn't follow Norse myth to the letter so it doesn't really matter. Hel was Loki's daughter in myth. As long as it's good and funny, let them go hog wild.

Some of the comics also have Hela as Loki's daughter, but the reboots/rewrites make following that a fool's errand.

The "White God" thing for Heimdall had to do with the whole Light/Dark aspects of his personality when describing him, also he was a Jotun/Vanir mix that took up with the Aesir, not actually one of the Norse Gods by birth/whatever.

As far as Marvel comics go, the Asgardians are aliens, not even human beings, so their skin color is a moot point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the Norse myths in the Marvel universe are meant to be the garbled and mostly made up cultural memories of the Asgardians running around, and telling their own stories of how things went. And probably mostly bullshit from Loki anyway.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
A couple of spoilery questions:

1) Is Bruce Banner stuck in Hulk form permanently now? Bruce implied that if he were to change into the Hulk again, that he might not be able to switch back. That would be tragic if so :(

2)One more Hulk question - how did he get to Saakar? Did the Quinjet he was on seriously travel through space and somehow get pulled into a wormhole or something?

3) So Loki totally stole the tesseract, right? This would explain why (who I would assume to be) Thano's ship meeting them in the first post-credits scene. He probably senses the infinity stone onboard.

4)Where the hell was Sif? I'm kind of glad she wasn't in it for the sole fact that she would've probably been killed off like the others in an unceremonious way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Jonny_Rocket posted:

4)Where the hell was Sif? I'm kind of glad she wasn't in it for the sole fact that she would've probably been killed off like the others in an unceremonious way.

I read an article the other day that said unavoidable scheduling conflicts with another movie. Could have used some story reason though

• Locked thread