Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

timrenzi574 posted:

I read an article the other day that said unavoidable scheduling conflicts with another movie. Could have used some story reason though

Unavoidable scheduling conflicts with another supervillain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Doctor Strange felt completely shoehorned in for the sole reason that Marvel Studios thinks he should have one contact among the Avengers before Infinity War. All he does is tell Thor where Odin is, because Odin didn't leave a sticky note on the fridge.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I went to see this basically just to see more Hulk in a Marvel movie. I was a little disappointed that the movie didn't touch on the conflict between Hulk wanting to stay on a planet that adores and celebrates him, and Banner wanting to get back home. I feel like there could have been more weight to that in terms of Hulk/Banner feeling accepted. As it stands, there's no consequence to anything Hulk does in this movie and that feels like a letdown. Especially after the whole conversation of him maybe never being able to turn back into Banner once going Hulk again.

Aside from that, what an entertaining movie. The rock dude and his scissor-hand friend were perfect comic relief, and the whole movie oozes with style, humor, and self awareness.

Also, the end where Asgard is being destroyed is one of the most death metal moments ever shows on film.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

ShoogaSlim posted:

Also, the end where Asgard is being destroyed is one of the most death metal moments ever shows on film.

So was the intro, in that regard. Perfect use of Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song"

Kurzon posted:

Doctor Strange felt completely shoehorned in for the sole reason that Marvel Studios thinks he should have one contact among the Avengers before Infinity War. All he does is tell Thor where Odin is, because Odin didn't leave a sticky note on the fridge.

As a big Doctor Strange fan, I loved his inclusion. It didn't feel shoehorned in to me - he had a purpose and wasn't thrown in for no reason.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 3, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jonny_Rocket posted:

As a big Doctor Strange fan, I loved his inclusion. It didn't feel shoehorned in to me - he had a purpose and wasn't thrown in for no reason.
It's a tiny purpose that could have been written out by Odin leaving a note on his fridge saying "I'm going on holiday in Norway for a while."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kurzon posted:

All Doctor Strange sequels should be about as long as that cameo. He's the Sorceror Supreme now, no need to gently caress around.
"Does something dangerous need addressing? Here's the right spell, okay off with you, goodbye."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kurzon posted:

It's a tiny purpose that could have been written out by Odin leaving a note on his fridge saying "I'm going on holiday in Norway for a while."

Nah, you're forgetting what else he did. He trapped Loki because Dr. Strange is protecting the realm. So about five minutes after Loki arrives, he captures him. It shows that Dr. Strange is actively protecting Earth from big threats. It was a good inclusion.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Like, if you think about it, Dr. Strange was probably having to do a lot of Doctor Stuff on people injured during Loki's previous earthly shenanigans. It'd be almost personal for him to keep that guy contained. Or falling. For THIRTY MINUTES.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
For someone who didn't get around to seeing Dr Strange like me because I'm not that into origin movies, it was a perfect intro to the movie character.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm really sad that the warriors 3 got chumped so loving hard. I would have at least appreciated a fight scene, or something to show SOMETHING. They've been in three movies. Uh. Also, are they dead-dead? It seems like it? Which is a shame. I also wish Sif could have gotten a mention, quelling a rebellion on another world or something.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Very good movie. Funny, colorful, great designs, a little disjointed with all the random marvel movie continuity crap but other than that a really good movie. The stupid rear end foam space outfits were, truly, amazing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Definitely the best Thor movie by a longshot, and only not in my top 5 MCU movies because there have been so many stupidly good ones at this point, it's probably #6 for me. Only homecoming rivals it in comedy, just a solidly comedic tone throughout and then you'd get insanely funny stuff that they managed to keep out of the trailers, on top of all the funny stuff that was in the trailers.

For me homecoming is ahead of it just because I enjoy Spider-man as a character more, I felt like Holland and Keaton were both knocking it out of the park in it, and it felt like a better told story overall (less CGI per minute helped there too). All the MCU movies have comedy moments in them, and both Guardians movies and homecoming kicked it up a notch and did it well, but Ragnarok just throws some huge Hulk-sized comedic punches and for me they all landed, plenty of laughs in the theater and I had to reign myself in from just laughing super-loud and ruining the theater experience for everyone.

This was a fun goofy palette cleanser before everything goes to hell during Infinity War. 8.5/10 for me. Oh, and good visuals and music too, even with near-constant CGI everything was colorful and fun to look at and the synthy soundtrack fit the tone well.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Skipping the spoilers because I'm seeing it on Tuesday (next day off). I just wanted to say I love Taika Waititi's stuff and seeing Hunt for the Wilderpeople convinced my wife to go to New Zealand for our honeymoon, which was amazing.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The alien planet in this movie was bladerunner 2049 if nerf designed everything instead of The Wallace Corp & the BAWWWAAAHHHHH synths were replaced with, I'm pretty sure I heard at one point, a synth version of pure imagination from charlie and the chocolate factory (????) this movie was dope.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

That was really good and entertaining. It was "if someone made heavy metal album art into a movie" in the best possible way.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 4, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
As a superhero movie it was as generic and beat-by-beat as they all are, who cares what character growth/pathos they have it'll just get thrown away in the next teamup, but as a vehicle for waititi's comedy and some pretty sweet cartoon fights it was excellent
best line was tell her she's dreaming, best acting was matt damon, best bit was hulk when thor tried to walk out of the room

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Work Friend Keven posted:

The alien planet in this movie was bladerunner 2049 if nerf designed everything instead of The Wallace Corp & the BAWWWAAAHHHHH synths were replaced with, I'm pretty sure I heard at one point, a synth version of pure imagination from charlie and the chocolate factory (????) this movie was dope.

The definitely reused the whole pure imagination track for the 'who is the grandmaster' bit and then yeah I think they sampled it here and there for other scenes involving him

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Desperado Bones posted:

Watching this tomorrow. So, I'm ready for the always welcomed beefcake Thor scenes.

Also Taika Waititi.

You'll have your fill then. :haw:

howe_sam posted:

It's a Seventies van painting come to life

This. There are so many scenes that almost look like spray-painted van art, particularly when the Valkyries fight Hela.

Also, during the beginning, was that a goddamn JET dragon? :frogon:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah there are a few scenes that should have had a bigger emotional impact but just weren't given room to breath, but that's about my only complaint. It's a big fun rollicking movie.

Thinking about this now, the scenes I'm thinking of seem to be the scenes that got changed around in reshoots since they ended up looking different to what we'd already been shown in the trailers. I'm thinking specifically of things like the brothers finding Odin and Thor's injury in his final fight with Hela.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It was lighthearted but flowed mostly well. Fun on the big screen. 3/4

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
This film ruled. I was pretty surprised at just how funny it was. It scratched the same itch that Guardians did, and at points did it better. Loki's line after Thor gets smashed in the ring had me rolling.The only part I had any problem with, and a minor one at that, was the "your weapon doesn't define you" arc that they already walked down in Iron Man 3.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

As far as lines go, I liked "Are you the God of Hammers?" and "30 minutes!"

edit: oops

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Baronash posted:

The only part I had any problem with, and a minor one at that, was the "your weapon doesn't define you" arc that they already walked down in Iron Man 3.

On the other hand, Thor probably won't be getting his hammer back, so it will probably be different. Or maybe it will just be completely ignored like Tony's arc.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
...but, Monster!

And drat, Pure Imagination actually happened.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yeah all the previous things in black bars are highlights, but also

Hela's "Did you not hear anything I just said?" after Hogun's response to her speech on Asgard.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Thinking about this now, the scenes I'm thinking of seem to be the scenes that got changed around in reshoots since they ended up looking different to what we'd already been shown in the trailers. I'm thinking specifically of things like the brothers finding Odin and Thor's injury in his final fight with Hela.

I'd almost go so far as to say that's all stuff Disney edited for the trailer to throw off 'spoilers'.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This isn't really a spoiler because of the trailers, but goons... I loved how they weaved elements of Planet Hulk into this without directly doing Planet Hulk. Its one of my favorite Marvel stories, but drat the ending is dark as gently caress. So this was a good compromise.

loving :lol:'d at Matt Damon. Goldblum's best moment was the post-credits scene. "Good revolution everybody. So, lets call it a tie..."

I really loved Banner jumping out of the plane, only to land on the bridge not transformed into the Hulk. It was a joke I saw coming from the second he got up, but it still cracked me up.

Someone was asking before if Hulk was permanently Hulk now. If they are mirroring the comics, at this point, Hulk or Banner basically have to let the other take over. Its possible to force a change, like you saw in the movie when he sees Nat, but outside of some shocking and major thing, the Hulk or Banner have to voluntarily let go.

Also, my biggest laugh was from Korg kicking and telling the ghost to go away.

And yes, Loki has the tesseract/infinity stone. The only other option is that it is floating in the debris of Asgard, which seems incredibly stupid to do since you had a shot of Loki double taking the stone.

edit: I could have sworn I heard a line about Sif being off world for a mission.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

timrenzi574 posted:

I read an article the other day that said unavoidable scheduling conflicts with another movie. Could have used some story reason though

I hope it was because of a good movie and not because of that awful TV show she's in about her crime-solving tattoos

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I hope it was because of a good movie and not because of that awful TV show she's in about her crime-solving tattoos

According to IMDB, I have bad news for you...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Just came back from seeing it. It was a great film. I thought it was a lot funnier than GotG. I know GotG is supposed to be funny but I’ve never laughed during either one. I laughed several times during Ragnorok.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Aquasnake posted:

On the other hand, Thor probably won't be getting his hammer back, so it will probably be different. Or maybe it will just be completely ignored like Tony's arc.

But then how will we get Captain America lifting a hammer for the final showdown against Thanks?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
WTF that was Matt Damon and Sam Neill in the play scene?!

Chieves posted:

But then how will we get Captain America lifting a hammer for the final showdown against Thanks?

Beta Ray Bill shows up (since Ragnarok established he's in the MCU anyways) and viola, another awesome hammer.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 4, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Bill Dungsroman posted:

That's a good show

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Beta Ray Bill shows up (since Ragnarok established he's in the MCU anyways) and viola, another awesome hammer.

Even with those two that you mentioned, I still liked who the third person in that scene was most of all.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Without spoiling anything serious, I'd say the movie glosses over all the bad things Loki did in previous movies, both to the people of Asgard and Earth. He's one of their worst criminals yet Thor and Dr Strange treat him like a bratty teenager.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 4, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yep. The first guy is best friends with Chris Hemsworth (their families go on holiday together) and the second guy is a friend ofTaika Waititi's.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The third guy also knows Chris hemsworth I think

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kurzon posted:

Without spoiling anything serious, I'd say the movie glosses over all the bad things Loki did in previous movies, both to the people of Asgard and Earth. He's one of their worst criminals yet Thor and Dr Strange treat him like a bratty teenager.

You can say Thor does. But Dr. Strange treats him as a threat until he gets Thor's word to control him.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Listen absolutely the only thing I give a poo poo about is if Skurge's face turn and last stand are in the fuckin film or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Smiling Jack posted:

Listen absolutely the only thing I give a poo poo about is if Skurge's face turn and last stand are in the fuckin film or what

You probably won't be disappointed.

swickles posted:

You can say Thor does. But Dr. Strange treats him as a threat until he gets Thor's word to control him.

And given Strange was a doctor in NYC during the invasion, I imagine it's a bit personal for him having treated plenty of victims.

• Locked thread