Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like the effect from the Odin's-in-New-York version where Strange unfolds Thor's hair into a street map, pity they had to cut it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't get how people think Thor is a totally different guy in this film. He's in wackadoo world rather than being sad about his beloved brother betraying him and stuff. He's always been a himbo idiot and this just leans into it hard which owns.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Finally got around to watching this and overall enjoyed it a lot, but man what a pathetic way for the warriors 3 to go out. Does Thor even notice that his old comrades-in-arms are mysteriously missing when he gets back?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Person Dyslexic posted:

Finally got around to watching this and overall enjoyed it a lot, but man what a pathetic way for the warriors 3 to go out. Does Thor even notice that his old comrades-in-arms are mysteriously missing when he gets back?

Yeah it felt like they forgot to put those characters in the script but the actors turned up for work one day so the writers quickly wrote up an extra 2 pages where they died

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The lack of sif is weird too.

And why is Natalie Portman in contract dispute? Same reason as Chris Evans?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Billzasilver posted:

The lack of sif is weird too.

I thought it made sense that Loki would get rid of the two people in Asgard who have their poo poo together enough to figure out he's not who he says he is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JBP posted:

I don't get how people think Thor is a totally different guy in this film. He's in wackadoo world rather than being sad about his beloved brother betraying him and stuff. He's always been a himbo idiot and this just leans into it hard which owns.

He does feel a lot jokier in this film, but it's in line with how he was in the other movies. Those movies were more serious so he came off more serious. This movie is goofier, so he comes off goofier.

Better to play to Hemsworth's comedy strengths than keep Thor as loving boring as he was before, anyway, idk why anyone would complain about him being different here, though I do think he's a fair bit different when you're comparing it to his first movies.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
It's a little incongruent but who cares, the other 2 Thor movies were dour as gently caress and this is a good direction for the character that plays to the actor's one other strength besides looking like Thor

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All of the silly fish out of water comedy was basically the only thing I liked about the first Thor movie, I thought it was a pretty cute and sometimes funny, if boring, movie. Never watched the second and he was pretty boring in both Avengers outings.

Ragnarok Thor is much better and I'll be happy if he continues to be jokier going forward. It's yet another quippy Marvel lead but it's better than he was before, so whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Billzasilver posted:

And why is Natalie Portman in contract dispute? Same reason as Chris Evans?

Evans stopped making noise about his contract when everyone got much better paydays beginning with Age of Ultron (which was because RDJ, who had fulfilled his original Marvel contract with the three Iron Man movies and Avengers, went movie-to-movie and said he wouldn't do Ultron unless everyone else started getting better money). His directorial debut a while back went over like a wet fart in church, too, which I imagine makes him more grateful for the Marvel checks.

Portman got madder than hell when Patty Jenkins--who was going to craft the movie as more of a tragic love story than anything else--got sacked from Thor 2 and replaced with Alan Taylor, whose claim to fame was directing a few Game of Thrones episodes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Two guys in a glass elevator talking.

Yup.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
You were my brother Loki. I loved you.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If Obi-Wan had Get Helped Anakin the Republic never would have fallen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I thought it made sense that Loki would get rid of the two people in Asgard who have their poo poo together enough to figure out he's not who he says he is.

It also means that Sif could return without having to deal with her story of survival.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Also Jaimie Alexander was busy shooting the TV series she stars in and wasn't available for Ragnarok

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The look of the film is extremely consistent in this regard (whether you think that's good or bad is a matter of taste). Most seem to be a plain medium shot, straight on as if the character is talking to the audience, with busy backgrounds and periphery.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've fallen into a hole of Taika Waititi interviews and I can't get out. He's just so charming that I want to see more.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

SirSamVimes posted:

I've fallen into a hole of Taika Waititi interviews and I can't get out. He's just so charming that I want to see more.

You've seen What We Do In The Shadows and Boy, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least his TV PSAs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cptn_dr posted:

You've seen What We Do In The Shadows and Boy, right?

What We Do In The Shadows and Hunt For THe Wilderpeople, haven't watched Boy yet but intend to.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've got Boy recorded and planning to watch that, and I keep meaning to watch the other ones. I really liked the clips of him directing a scene with Korg in. Mo-cap suits are the greatest.

Also every so often Thor doing a Psycho Crusher pops into my head and I am impressed every time. I dunno who decided he needed to do one of those on the Bifrost, but they were right.

I hope Thor is still funny in Infinity War. And that he does something badass with the inevitable new hammer he's gonna get. Also he has to meet Peter Parker. Everyone does.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
SO if Loki hadn't taken the space stone would it have gotten destroyed in Ragnarok? Would Infinity War even happen if Thanos can't complete the gauntlet?

Anyways, just saw this for the first time :lol: and Korg absolutely lives up to the hype.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect it would've survived. I don't think you can destroy an infinity stone.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It would have just floated through space or fallen through a crack in space-time until someone found it again. The usual deal.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
In a desperate bid to save itself, it would've spat out Red Skull again. In deep space.

"Achtung! The Red Schkull lives ag- *choke*"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MikeJF posted:

I suspect it would've survived. I don't think you can destroy an infinity stone.

They destroyed one in Infinity War

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It probably would have regenerated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I rewatched Thor Ragnarok with my mom because she hadn't seen it. She liked it.

But one thing I noticed: there's this short sequence when the camera goes from the Bifrost to Sakaar while crossing the Galaxy and it's a neat little sequence that feels a bit like a much less ambitious version of this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhQbsy72IgI

My mom also liked the ship designs as it reminded her of old franco-belgian comics.

• Locked thread