Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Strange is that dude in the comics. He's probably one the most powerful characters in Marvel. Strange would and should totally show up if he senses Loki on Earth. Unless he is off fighting Mephisto or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still wanna see Strange have a run-in with Spidey.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Codependent Poster posted:

Even with those two that you mentioned, I still liked who the third person in that scene was most of all.

I had to hunt down who it was, but I don't watch that show so it is a bit of a bummer it had no affect on me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I got some issues with this movie.

1. It's doing that thing that Marvel movies do where it undercuts too many of its serious, dramatic scenes with jokes. The jokes that are there at the moments for them to be there are already funny, they don't need to sabotage the moments of drama by cramming in more. Having said that, this didn't bother me nearly as much as it did in Ultron. In Ultron, it basically ruined the movie for me (along with all the other gigantic flaws in Ultron but, y'know, neither here nor there), here I just kinda grimaced a couple times but dealt with it.
2. The pacing felt janky at times. It felt like we were flying from Asgard to Earth to Dr. Strange to Norway to dead Odin to oh poo poo here's the Goddess of Death in freaking record time. I really, really wish the scene with Odin had gone longer and gotten more time to breathe.
3. Everything with Skurge....I dunno. The whole time I was like "okay get to the part where he turns into a good guy and does the machine gun thing. Okay, come on, come on, come on." and when we finally got there, it felt...pretty underwhelming. Like, it was cool, but, I dunno, his whole arc felt kinda lacking to me, it wasn't as satisfying as, say, Valkyrie's.

It was still pretty darn enjoyable and it does feel kinda unique within the MCU because of its aesthetic, which is definitely welcome. Valkyrie flashback scene was just goddamn beautiful. Holy poo poo. I just wish Marvel trusted their material enough to let it have a little more gravity.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Additional thought: The entire surviving population of Asgard is on that one spaceship. How many toilets are on that thing?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I went to see this at the insistence of friends despite not being a big superhero movie fan. I'm still not (just not my thing), but the snake story was funny as hell. "And he turned back and was like, 'RAGH! IT'S ME!' and he stabbed me.

Also of note: When we left the theater, there was a dude in full assault gear by the door holding semi-auto with a suppressor. We thought it was a costume thing until we got close and he just ominously told us to exit to the left and to not enter the parking garage. Turns out there was an armed robbery and two of the dudes fled into the parking complex. Cops were everywhere and no one could retrieve their cars. And that's how I wound up with friends at a pancake house at 2 am on a work night.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Please replace Cumberbatch's character with Steven Strange, his identical cousin from England.

Codependent Poster posted:

Even with those two that you mentioned, I still liked who the third person in that scene was most of all.

Yeah, the cameos in that scene are fantastic and that was my favourite one of them.

Especially since when watching Westworld previously without knowing who he was my girlfriend said he looked like a budget Chris Hemsworth.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 4, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just saw this and it was great fun, agree with many of the black bars, I didn't even notice who the play actors were at the time, and one of my favourite lines was "Piss off ghost!" because that voice he did for Korg was both familiar from real life, and an amazing choice

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I just saw this and it was great fun, agree with many of the black bars, I didn't even notice who the play actors were at the time, and one of my favourite lines was "Piss off ghost!" because that voice he did for Korg was both familiar from real life, and an amazing choice

I spent the entire movie thinking he was voiced by Rhys Darby because I can't apparently tell the difference between New Zealanders.

Overall the jumping between literal comedy and heavy dramatic scenes were a bit jarring in some places, but when it worked, it worked. Given the subject matter and settings, I think halfway through I became more and more ok with the levity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That Thor really likes snakes is something that is somehow fitting and hilarious.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Saw the movie and loved it. Only thing that I think was done really poorly was Odin's stuff at the start.

I don't recall if I saw Thor 2 which might of helped(?) but Thor shows up. "dad come back." "no im die" "no dad" *dad explodes into fairy dust* felt ultra rushed and super, super stupid. It doesn't help literally 2 seconds later Hel shows up and is like "dang did I miss it w/e lets fight now."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't recall if I saw Thor 2 which might of helped(?) but Thor shows up. "dad come back." "no im die" "no dad" *dad explodes into fairy dust* felt ultra rushed and super, super stupid. It doesn't help literally 2 seconds later Hel shows up and is like "dang did I miss it w/e lets fight now."

It wouldn't have helped, it's like that regardless.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The way I saw it was that Odin and his power was holding Hela back from entering Earth realm. Once he dies, she can finally break through.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Why was Odin so needlessly cryptic and pointless? Did he die from some kind of preset expiration date? What are the actual physical limitations on the Asgardians? Can you kill Thor with punches? If you do, does he also turn into orange dust? If his stab wounds heal, can he regrow an eye? How did his dad come back in a dream to remind him he has lightning powers?

For real, that was some Batman V Superman storytelling and inconsistent logic.

VJeff posted:

3. Everything with Skurge....I dunno. The whole time I was like "okay get to the part where he turns into a good guy and does the machine gun thing. Okay, come on, come on, come on." and when we finally got there, it felt...pretty underwhelming. Like, it was cool, but, I dunno, his whole arc felt kinda lacking to me, it wasn't as satisfying as, say, Valkyrie's.
He didn't have an arc. Don't think he even had any dialogue after his initial joke scenes in the first act. He worked with Hela because she'd obviously instakill him if he didn't, proven over and over by her doing that to 100s of others. At one point he almost crosses a moral line of executing a civilian (even though if he didn't, again - Hela would instakill him and execute the civilian anyway) but is conveniently stopped.

At the end he gets a chance to actually accomplish a goal against her (destroying the spike things so the rescue ship get away), so he does. Sacrificing himself and not gaining any redemption because he never did anything wrong to begin with. He's then instakilled, and the movie and all the other characters never bring him up again.

His arc is "avoiding being killed until he could be useful".
It's super empty, unsatisfying and could've been edited out altogether.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Saw the movie and loved it. Only thing that I think was done really poorly was Odin's stuff at the start.

It felt like they had Anthony Hopkins on set for one day and just rushed that whole scene, it wasn't well done at all.

The movie was extremely entertaining, had that Waititi irreverence and humor, but I almost felt like it would have been better if they cut a few plot threads and focused on just a handful fewer things. I would have enjoyed a film that was set almost entirely on the battle planet, or spent some more time exploring Hulk/Banner's conflict. As it was, all of it got some attention, but felt short-thrifted a bit.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I wonder if Hela originally killed Hopkins/Odin in that NY alley and the reshoots were because that would've made the tone way too dark for colourful synth planet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I wonder if Hela originally killed Hopkins/Odin in that NY alley and the reshoots were because that would've made the tone way too dark for colourful synth planet.

I assumed that it's where the Asgard refugees are headed for.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love that Odin just dies and just goes away. It was so :effort:

Waititi clearly wanted to just get rid of the dumb stuff from the previous movies and do his own thing. I'm fully on-board with good films paying little attention to their lovely predecessors.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I had a lot of fun watching this.

My takes on the characters:

For the titular character, I thought Thor was pretty great. Hemsworth's always had good comedic timing in the Thor movies and it's on full display here.
I'm pretty sick of Loki. I had a feeling they were going to put him in Infinity Wars as the "Mephisto" character so I don't expect to be rid of him any time soon.
Korg and knife hands guy were great and I'd say they stole the show except there were so many fun characters.
Banner was great when he was freaking out but Hulk was the best.
Jeff Goldblum's Grandmaster was flat-out hilarious. He didn't have a line that fell flat. I especially loved his little "it's my birthday hologram on his orgy ship".
Cate Blanchett was a really fun and frankly sexy villain. It was pretty cool to see her throwing around knives and spears all the drat time.
I thought Grandmaster's lackey (and Valkyrie's rival) was a fun little role.
Speaking of Valkyrie, Tessa Thompson is mesmerizing.
I was a little disappointed on what they did with Skurge. I would have liked to see him be less of a joke (although jokes were the order of the day) and more of a threat, to make his turn and sacrifice seem more badass. My ideal intro to him would be him and Thor crossing weapons early in the movie and yelling about how this will be their last fight.
Of all the characters I knew would be in it that surprised me with how fun they were, Surtur! Apparently voiced by Clancy Brown too. Also him being mountain sized and laying waste to Asgard was great. I'm also a sucker for "unleashing a villain to take out another villain" as a plot point.
I totally didn't recognize any of those cameo actors lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Welp, now we get space faring alien Asgardians lead by a God of Thunder. Hopefully they bump into Sif and Beta Ray Bill along the way and Asgard is reborn at the end of Infinity War. That was obviously Thanos' ship at that point they ran into as he's coming for the Tesseract Space Gem that Loki has which is how he escaped. But real talk...is Cate Blanchett in Infinity War?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The beginning was rushed but I loved the rest.

Guessing the post credit scene was Thanos, or...?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I really enjoyed the rock man, Thor telling the story about Loki and the snake, and Thor doing the Psycho Crusher/Raiden's tackle from Mortal Kombat. Great movie, I'm glad they made the last Thor movie (I'm assuming) interesting.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Why was Odin so needlessly cryptic and pointless? Did he die from some kind of preset expiration date? What are the actual physical limitations on the Asgardians? Can you kill Thor with punches? If you do, does he also turn into orange dust? If his stab wounds heal, can he regrow an eye? How did his dad come back in a dream to remind him he has lightning powers?

For real, that was some Batman V Superman storytelling and inconsistent logic.
He didn't have an arc. Don't think he even had any dialogue after his initial joke scenes in the first act. He worked with Hela because she'd obviously instakill him if he didn't, proven over and over by her doing that to 100s of others. At one point he almost crosses a moral line of executing a civilian (even though if he didn't, again - Hela would instakill him and execute the civilian anyway) but is conveniently stopped.

At the end he gets a chance to actually accomplish a goal against her (destroying the spike things so the rescue ship get away), so he does. Sacrificing himself and not gaining any redemption because he never did anything wrong to begin with. He's then instakilled, and the movie and all the other characters never bring him up again.

His arc is "avoiding being killed until he could be useful".
It's super empty, unsatisfying and could've been edited out altogether.

Lusting for civilian death

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gnome de plume posted:

Additional thought: The entire surviving population of Asgard is on that one spaceship. How many toilets are on that thing?

I was wondering about this too! I decided Eh, they're aliens, they probably don't need to poop.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

swickles posted:

According to IMDB, I have bad news for you...

Ooof

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I loved seeing all the Kirby inspired guard uniforms. I suspect a good number of them are straight pulls from the comics. Good movie, the cameos threw me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How long was Loki Odin? I thought I heard Thor reference it being two weeks but he also mentions it has been two years since Age of Ultron.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the fight at the end where Thor goes full God of Thunder and starts throwing lightning bolts everywhere. We went from the fighter, to a Buff Wizard, casting spells from far away while closing the distance to Cast Fist.

I also liked Loki showing up with the giant ship and the rebels going "YES! IT IS I, LOKI! You're SAVIOUR!" and finally getting to play the good guy for real for a bit. That was a hell of an entrance for the final battle. Also I liked the Doctor Strange scene. Loki getting incensed at 30 MINUTES was great, but I loved the immediate aftermath:

Loki: *draws his knives and charges Strange*"So, you fancy yourself a Sorcerer, do you?"
Strange:"OK, Bye bye!" *Loki and Thor are now in Norway*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its a hoot and a half. The perfectly engineered blockbuster. I heard numerous folks not geared/tired of superhero movies audibly exclaiming how much they loved it. And wizards and death gods are also involved.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Movie had me from the moment I heard Clancy Brown speak. :kimchi:

This was a definite shift in tone from previous Thors, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Also, Jeff Goldblum and his nail polish were perfect.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
It feels like half the films visuals were inspired by Kirby’s concept art for Argo (the 70’s one) and the other half was inspired by Mœbius’ work on Dune.

Movie good.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I also like how they went and finally explained how asgard's weird cosmology fits in with the gotg universe as a whole. :D

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Wow,

So I don't know where I would rank this among the other MCU films, but pretty drat low.

There really wasn't any kind of plot structure, more like a series of loose vignettes. I mean, admittedly they were good vignettes -- I laughed at a lot of it -- but the overall story left me pretty underwhelmed. This is definitely a Taika Waititi film through and through, which I thought would be awesome, but in the context of the MCU as a whole not so much. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of heavily improvised dialogue in movies -- unless your cast is really super good at that sort of thing the end result usually means sacrificing character consistency for cheap laughs. Hemsworth is a funny guy, sure, but he didn't seem able to keep in character. Hiddleston was pretty weak, too.

And the thing is, I like fun. I like funny movies. I loved the 80's. If the vibe you're going for is a live-action gonzo Saturday morning cartoon, then I'm all in. But if that's what you want to do, then please do not loving kill your entire supporting cast in the process. Bah.

I can not believe this is getting credited as the "best reviewed superhero film of all time".
Well, obviously I can believe it, it happened. But how it happened absolutely escapes me.

Anyway, I haven't read through the thread yet and I'm going to guess I'm in a minority here, but I left the theatre pretty bummed out.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I thought New Funnier Thor worked as a consistent character in this movie, the old "he's adopted" humour undercutting arrogance was always part of his character, they just focused on it a bit more. Bigger issue is, like Skurge, and like everyone else in the movie - he didn't have any kind of arc.

His dad "goes away", Hela breaks his hammer and he ends up trapped on Goldblum planet wanting to save Asgard. He doesn't even seem that bothered about the hammer, he spends most of the movie just trying to escape the planet. He does and he fights Hela again. He's learned no lessons, he hasn't overcome any issues or grown, or changed or developed at all. It's just a DELAYED fight, the result of which is his ghostdad comes to him in a prophetic dream and reminds him he has another superpower. Oh and also tells him that Asgard's people matter more than the city, which is brought up only now and then repeated twice more in the ending as if it was a theme.

You could recut the movie, strip out the entire Goldblum planet that is the film's middle act, just have an absent Thor suddenly arrive late to Asgard with reinforcements - and the ending would be the same. It's ridiculous flat and unsatisfying.

but yeah the snake story was p funny i guess

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The marvel universe forgets character arcs between movies anyway, so this movie just didnt bother with them at all and went full saturday morning. I like it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really was soured on the film by its seeming genuine fear of allowing dramatic moments to stand without undercutting them with comedy. Some of the comedy was really funny but sometimes it just felt like they were scared you'd think they were taking things too seriously. The ending in particular was soured for me because they couldn't seem to take even half a moment to let a pretty amazing visual stand on its own.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 5, 2017

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

VagueRant posted:

I thought New Funnier Thor worked as a consistent character in this movie, the old "he's adopted" humour undercutting arrogance was always part of his character, they just focused on it a bit more.

I liked the idea of Thor being unintentionally funny -- I'm not into him actively cracking jokes. The opening scene bugged me especially and it took me a while to get into the movie because of it.

VagueRant posted:

Bigger issue is, like Skurge, and like everyone else in the movie - he didn't have any kind of arc.

His dad "goes away", Hela breaks his hammer and he ends up trapped on Goldblum planet wanting to save Asgard. He doesn't even seem that bothered about the hammer, he spends most of the movie just trying to escape the planet. He does and he fights Hela again. He's learned no lessons, he hasn't overcome any issues or grown, or changed or developed at all. It's just a DELAYED fight, the result of which is his ghostdad comes to him in a prophetic dream and reminds him he has another superpower. Oh and also tells him that Asgard's people matter more than the city, which is brought up only now and then repeated twice more in the ending as if it was a theme.

You could recut the movie, strip out the entire Goldblum planet that is the film's middle act, just have an absent Thor suddenly arrive late to Asgard with reinforcements - and the ending would be the same. It's ridiculous flat and unsatisfying.

No arguments from me.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Yeah this movie is composed of good to great scenes which form no cohesive whole. Pretty disappointing in that regard and a drat shame since the settings, acting, and dialogue were quite a bit better than most Marvel movies. Hell, better than any comedy I've seen in a long time.

Also, I wonder why most scenes just look really dull in terms of contrast and lighting? It's like the cinematographer was under insane pressure and could only plan things through for half of the scenes. You'd get a completely flat shot of people standing around in drab monotone lighting and the next scene is Hel and the Valkyries fighting and it looks like a painting. Really confusing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I thought it was a really fun, entertaining movie. I love the humor, though I agree with the criticism that it bounces too fast between humor and drama for the dramatic bits to carry much weight. Everyone who dies is just kind of like "welp, that sucks, off to the next joke".

Yakmouth posted:

I liked the idea of Thor being unintentionally funny -- I'm not into him actively cracking jokes. The opening scene bugged me especially and it took me a while to get into the movie because of it.

It might have gotten a little into Austin Powers territory there, but I thought it did a good job of setting the scene - for all of Surtur's bluster, we all know exactly how the opening scene for this kind of movie is going to go, and Thor knows it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

The ending in particular was soured for me because they couldn't seem to take even half a moment to let a pretty amazing visual stand on its own.

That I kind of agree with, the effects were great but the cuts were so janky you couldn't stop and appreciate them.

• Locked thread