Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah and that's why his character is one of the few redeeming things of this whole thing. He's a gigantic manbaby that cosplays Vader. I mean, it's pretty transparent about that

honestly my biggest issue with the movie was: how many god drat transport ships did they have going to that planet

kylo ren is saved by a good actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah and that's why his character is one of the few redeeming things of this whole thing. He's a gigantic manbaby that cosplays Vader. I mean, it's pretty transparent about that

honestly my biggest issue with the movie was: how many god drat transport ships did they have going to that planet

Like 30 something. They said it like three times

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

kylo ren is saved by a good actor

he's supposed to be a whiny bitch. The actor is good, definitely. But I mean, that's intentionally been his whole character arc the whole time. I love it because it pisses people off that he's not Vader....and that's the point of it all. I mean who knows what happens next film

McNally posted:

Like 30 something. They said it like three times

I was just joking because for a long time there it kept switching scenes to mother fuckers getting blown out of space, switch scene, back to oh hey more of them getting blown up

also is this the first time we've ever seen the royal guards actually do something

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 18, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Kylo Ren could have easily been whiny anakin episode 2/3 style

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
it seems like it went out of its way to do the opposite of what you expect.

O Carrie Fisher gets a reason not to be in movie, nope, time to be Super Woman.

The new commander is a coward, we need to unite against her, jk , she's a loyal jihadi.

Rey is a Skywalker, lol nope, shes somehow is the most powerful jedi without training for no good reason.

The kylo ren turn on Snoke was unexpected, cool and good.

Did anyone else get the feeling that they condensed this down from two separate movies ?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sacrist65 posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that they condensed this down from two separate movies ?

:homebrew:

agree on all points

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

it seems like it went out of its way to do the opposite of what you expect.

O Carrie Fisher gets a reason not to be in movie, nope, time to be Super Woman.

The new commander is a coward, we need to unite against her, jk , she's a loyal jihadi.

Rey is a Skywalker, lol nope, shes somehow is the most powerful jedi without training for no good reason.

The kylo ren turn on Snoke was unexpected, cool and good.

yeah it really did. And as I said earlier it shits all over all the alley-oops episode 7 tosses it. The entire cliff hanger is wasted for no god drat reason. I'm honestly not sure if the fault of this lies at the feet of director, writers, or what but god drat.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 18, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm honestly not sure if the fault of this lies at the feet of director, writers, or what but god drat.

The director is the writer here. Which is a drat shame, because I loved the cinematography.

TFA gets a lot of flack for its own plotholes, and JJ Abrams tends to get saddled with the blame, but only co-wrote the script. Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote Empire Strikes Back, did most of the writing work on TFA. TLJ's Rian Johnson has no such excuse. I wish he'd stuck to directing and let someone else write the script.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Just saw it with some of my kids. They loved it (no surprise).

Luke getting to be a badass and then ascending into the Force was awesome. He had just the right amount of humor, and Hamill nailed it (to the surprise of no one). His force ghost had better be all over the next movie, because I need me some Mark Hamill.

Loved the Yoda text text text cameo. It was cool to finally see a force ghost give a sample of just how powerful they are. I was expecting Obiwan and/or Anakin to show up as well.

The Kylo/Rey subplot was really well done. Both actors did a great job at selling the tension, and the team-up before they split is a great bit of action.

The master codebreaker subplot was the weakest bit, both because of the lack of payoff, and because Rose is terrible and Finn is the worst of the new hero trio. For a janitor, his knowledge is way too convenient as an expository/plot-driving device.

To that end, they should really use Poe more where they use Finn. Oscar Isaac is great. He's got the Han swagger that is needed on those side adventures. His first scene was one of my favorite parts.

Snoke's death text to make spoiler longer was great in that it was unexpected and a gutsy move from a story standpoint, and it fit Kylo's arc. On the other hand, it doesn't satisfy a lot of curiosity from TFA and leaves a big villain gap, since Kylo still comes off as too young and inexperienced to squash the heroes on his own.

Overall, it's a fun ride. For someone my age, it's worth it just for Hamill's bits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sax Offender posted:

Loved the Yoda text text text cameo. It was cool to finally see a force ghost give a sample of just how powerful they are. I was expecting Obiwan and/or Anakin to show up as well.

I was waiting for them to show up in some capacity as well. Wonder if they'll be in the next one

Need a second viewing but about all the force poo poo:

so pretty much they realized they're a bit of fanatic/cultists and simply extreme on one end of the spectrum? It's not sustainable? I suppose a light Jedi mindset is too arrogant and just not having the mindset of failure as an option? Old dog new tricks? I know the expanded universe has a gray jedi or some poo poo that is a balance between the two, which is where this is going I assume; which some predicted. When the poster dropped everyone was arguing whether Jedi was plural or not, (i know it's mentioned to be plural at some point somewhere)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Star Wars except Luke doesn't care about politics and just wants to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkgohG9lTM

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just got home:

Overall, as a kid who grew up with star wars and being the nerdiest star wars fan I was partially disappointed as the star wars nerd but also in terms of just a good movie.

The biggest, general issues that I have with the movie are essentially why did we seriously build up snoke to be such a cool character to have him die like a bitch like that? I suppose that it could lead to something now that Kylo is essentially the strongest jedi in the galaxy as far as we know.

Also The whole Leia scene after the ship's deck got hosed up and she does this hand wavy thing where she force super womans herself to an airlock door was pretty annoying. I don't know why, It felt so cheesy and cring-worthy though. . There's more that I wasn't happy with but it's just nit-picking poo poo you all have said already.

Overall it wasn't TOO bad, just wasn't super good. I still think TFA and R1 were much better than this but the end of this movie does make me a bit hesitant and interested to see what the third movie is gonna provide for us

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 19, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Did anyone ever watch the fan edits for episodes 1-3?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I read this article, and I pretty much agree entirely with the authors take on the movie.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense/

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

My takeaway is that while 7 and 8 are enjoyable star wars-y visual spectacles, I read the Thrawn Trilogy back in the day and I just feel like that was straight up better. Better villains, heroes, fewer plot holes, etc etc etc.

My main problem with the new movies is that I think the First Order is crap (and for ep 8, BSG did it better).

I'll probably eventually get the last three movies to watch now and then with my brain turned off for the visual spectacles and sound track and lightsaber and blaster noises, but just engh when it comes to them actually being any sort of capstone to 4-6.

E: Rogue One was effing great though.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 20, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the Thrawn saga with all those great characters like Luuke Skywalker.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 20, 2017

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

also is this the first time we've ever seen the royal guards actually do something

No kidding.

I know Palpatine dismissed them in Return of the Jedi but it's kind of funny how they just disappeared. Like, instead of just going into the next room where they could still hear/see things it's like they went down to the Death Star cafeteria for lunch.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

E: Rogue One was effing great though.

yeah if when I rewatch all of the originals i'll be starting with rogue one

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Justin Godscock posted:

No kidding.

I know Palpatine dismissed them in Return of the Jedi but it's kind of funny how they just disappeared. Like, instead of just going into the next room where they could still hear/see things it's like they went down to the Death Star cafeteria for lunch.

That fight was awesome. And yeah, glad we finally got to see them in action. Although would it really kill either of the force users to give someone a force push when someone is getting all up in their grill?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

yeah if when I rewatch all of the originals i'll be starting with rogue one

Totally.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

B-17s in space were rad as gently caress, hyperspace ram was rad as gently caress, everything in between and after was weak to just OK.

I do appreciate that Rey's parents are nobody, and that there wasn't some big reveal where Snoke turns out to be some guy from one of the books or something. Way too many nerds working out ~*theories*~ trying to related things to the extended universe when it's pretty obvious that they're explicitly not doing that.

Movie definitely should have been trimmed down by at least half an hour.

I'm really looking forward to the Plinkett review.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Look, the movie doesn't SPECIFICALLY rule out my theory that Rey's dad was Boba Fett and her mom was the Sarlacc Pit...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We all know bad guys don't lie.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

B-17s in space were rad as gently caress, hyperspace ram was rad as gently caress, everything in between and after was weak to just OK.

I do appreciate that Rey's parents are nobody, and that there wasn't some big reveal where Snoke turns out to be some guy from one of the books or something. Way too many nerds working out ~*theories*~ trying to related things to the extended universe when it's pretty obvious that they're explicitly not doing that.

Movie definitely should have been trimmed down by at least half an hour.

ehhh I dig the Rey angle but tbh I think they're just hand waving that away for now so they can bring it back later. There's no way they're just going to leave the Rey parents bit with that. She's still somehow Obi-wans kid or some bullshit. Also snoke coming and going without fanfare is cool but I'd still like to know who the gently caress he was and everything between

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's how they've treated all the villains except Vader. It's nothing new.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I came in expecting a space soap opera with some questionably executed space magic and space tactics, and that's exactly what I got. Every star wars movie has stupid logic that suggests loopholes in the force, lightsabers, hyperspace, lasers, etc. So I don't understand the problems people have on this go-round.

In fact I liked how much this film made fun of those tropes with some self-awareness in the form of very tired characters putting the new protagonists in their place with some history and wisdom. And I liked how things went on to essentially reset, by wiping out most of the resistance as well as destroying the FO's biggest ships, retiring Luke, and so on. It really sets the stage for the protagonists to "properly" fight the war against the FO, starting from scratch, having finally been disabused of their notions for needing the jedi and/or being cowboys to get the job done. If 7 was the callback to the OT and nostalgia, then 8 was the goodbye to the OT and retiring the nostalgia train. And 9 will be something totally new...therefore people will hate it more than any other star wars they have seen so far.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Godholio posted:

That's how they've treated all the villains except Vader. It's nothing new.

Other villains never did anything. Snoke was prominently featured whereas Darth Maul, for example, didn't do anything and showed up briefly at the end of TPM.

Jar jar loving Binks got better treatment than Snoke and, arguably, Luke.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 23, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm really looking forward to the Plinkett review.

Close enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I literally just finished watching it, haha. Pretty much echoes exactly how I felt about the movie.

One thing that pissed me off is why didn't admiral pinkhair explain her plan to Poe? The whole time I was thinking that she was deliberately not explaining things to him because she thought he was a mole, and that's why they the bad guys were able to track them. But instead she had a plan all along but she just didn't tell anyone about it because ???

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How often do flag officers explain to O-3/4s what's going on? He was also on the poo poo list at the time.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I really enjoy RLM, but some of this was contrarian/obtuse. The legit criticisms have mostly been mentioned in this thread already.

Godholio posted:

How often do flag officers explain to O-3/4s what's going on? He was also on the poo poo list at the time.

I only know this from playing X-Wing back in the day, but Commander is just a grade or two below General for the rebels. Luke was a Commander in ESB, and he was described as the leader in the opening crawl. Granted, Poe had just been demoted, but that whole plot was just bad.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 23, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Godholio posted:

This has been my go to explanation for people who get all up in arms about why Poe wasn't brought in from the get go.

Yeah he's a commander but he's still junior to an admiral and I can't imagine she really wants to take the time to explain to her subordinate who's shown to be bold but a bit reckless what's going on when he'd just as likely disagree with that plan and attempt to do his own thing.

Also if she explained to him the ultimate plan there goes that bit of tension that helps move things along.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This will never not be the funniest thing about the sequel trilogy.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

This has been my go to explanation for people who get all up in arms about why Poe wasn't brought in from the get go.

Yeah he's a commander but he's still junior to an admiral and I can't imagine she really wants to take the time to explain to her subordinate who's shown to be bold but a bit reckless what's going on when he'd just as likely disagree with that plan and attempt to do his own thing.

Also if she explained to him the ultimate plan there goes that bit of tension that helps move things along.

"We have an escape plan, but it will require stealth and discipline, neither of which you have exhibited recently. Dismissed."

That makes Poe look like he needs to learn something in the end. As written, it looks like he's the only one even trying to save the resistance until the sudden reveal.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Leia should have killed poe IMO

Poe does nothing but gently caress things up and gets literally 95% of the people killed, but he is still this lovable rogue who is going to lead the rebellion instead of some idiot who deserves to be executed

PookBear fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 23, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sax Offender posted:

"We have an escape plan, but it will require stealth and discipline, neither of which you have exhibited recently. Dismissed."

That makes Poe look like he needs to learn something in the end. As written, it looks like he's the only one even trying to save the resistance until the sudden reveal.

A big theme of the movie is how dumb/blind hubris can make you and Poe is certainly guilty of that. He thinks because he's such a hot shot pilot he needs to know everything or influence every decision. In the old movies, he'd be given an assignment or a front row seat during the planning process to help move things along.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Leia should have killed poe IMO

Poe does nothing but gently caress things up and gets literally 95% of the people killed, but he is still this lovable rogue who is going to lead the rebellion instead of some idiot who deserves to be executed

Yup. Everyone in this one takes turns carrying the idiot ball to make the contrived plot work, but Poe in particular gets a fuckton of people killed and leads a mutiny.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Poe's got a spy on the bridge. She cold habe just told him what the plan was. It was up on the big screen and the Resistance is terrible at opsec.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This is actually making the whole mess seem more plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The sequel trilogy’s message is there are no heroes, just idiots on to which we project our hero fantasies. I’m cool with that. We are simultaneously shown this by the young protagonists being let down by the the OT heroes and also by the viewer being let down by double deserter Finn, suicide plan ruiner Rose, Poe centerofattention Dameron, and sweet baby bbq bad parents Rey

Zeris fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 23, 2017

• Locked thread