Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Like who? I'm hella glad they killed off Snookie. The "all-powerful, mysterious, over confident sith lord" has been Done. To. Death.

Admiral Ackbar was my guess for minor but popular OT character that was killed. Also like I posted previously I felt like Luke going ghost was a bit abrupt, considering he basically said hi to Leia, chewie, and the droids and not much more. Could have gotten a little more dialogue with them. Han’s death also didn’t play into much. “Han died? Bummer. Well anyway.” - Luke

Also are we requiring spoiler tags in this thread ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

So... it's true to life?

yeah but real life doesn't make for an entertaining space opera.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Dead Reckoning posted:

Like who? I'm hella glad they killed off Snookie. The "all-powerful, mysterious, over confident sith lord" has been Done. To. Death.

That Vice Admiral and the stormtrooper commander among others. Don't really care about Snoke but the constant, confusing storytelling to get there was terrible. I also didn't understand Lukes death. "Oh hey can't kill me!" Dies anyways. If the rest of the story wasn't so poorly told it would be fine or even good but as it is I didn't get it.

McNally posted:

Over 80% of the Resistance is dead and it's all Poe's fault

This was the first thing that came to my mind. Poe really started to irritate me towards the end, especially since if they focused less on Poe and more on Holdo or the Asian sister it might be more interesting.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 27, 2017

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Don't forget that Boba Fett was also a very hyped up character who was "killed" after some brief on-screen time. For Ackbar to go away as abruptly as he showed up seems fair

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Suicide Watch posted:

Don't forget that Boba Fett was also a very hyped up character who was "killed" after some brief on-screen time. For Ackbar to go away as abruptly as he showed up seems fair

Yea you right. The other two I mentioned feel pretty valid though. I’m sure they’ll come back around in some way for some closure in IX but there was definitely missed opportunity here

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lightpole posted:

I also didn't understand Lukes death. "Oh hey can't kill me!" Dies anyways. If the rest of the story wasn't so poorly told it would be fine or even good but as it is I didn't get it.

It seemed that Luke channeled the force so strongly he didn't have anything left in the tank; he burned out and became one with the force. His force apparition was visible to every person (and droid) present, and presumably showed up on the AT-AT targeting sensors. It also had some aspect of teleportation; Luke brought Leia the space dice he cribbed from the Millennium Falcon. That presumably took more out of him than lifting something heavy.

I had a whole lot of problems with the film, but I like the way the Luke/Kylo fight was handled. When Kylo asks if Luke is going to offer forgiveness, Luke says no in a way that makes it clear (to the viewer) that Kylo isn't the one who needs to be forgiven. Luke then says that if Kylo strikes him down in anger, Luke will be with him forever. Metaphorically, I'd think, rather than actual force-ghost haunting. He then completely denies Kylo the chance to strike him down. On his last day among the living, when he already knows that he's about to die, Luke makes a point of acknowledging his failure as a teacher, and dies saving Kylo - a man already struggling with the death of his father - from the burden of also killing his uncle. Then, when he's accomplished his task and saved the Resistance, he props himself up, meditates a bit, and dies with dignity. It's the most zen-like, self-assured death in Star Wars since Obi Wan bought the farm. I dig it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

lightpole posted:

That Vice Admiral and the stormtrooper commander among others. Don't really care about Snoke but the constant, confusing storytelling to get there was terrible. I also didn't understand Lukes death. "Oh hey can't kill me!" Dies anyways. If the rest of the story wasn't so poorly told it would be fine or even good but as it is I didn't get it.

This was the first thing that came to my mind. Poe really started to irritate me towards the end, especially since if they focused less on Poe and more on Holdo or the Asian sister it might be more interesting.

Luke was stuck on his planet so he couldn't actually show up to the show down.

The director fooled us so we could follow along with Kylo's surprise at being fooled, which otherwise would've been a very boring plot move to watch.

The reason it's all meaningful is that Luke knows the most powerful message he can send to Kylo is to do exactly that - chump him and deny him even the cheap satisfaction of murdering Luke. It's a win/win; either Kylo is so destabilized in rage that the good guys can take the upper hand, or Kylo finally hits rock bottom and realizes how much of a fool he is*.

*Not that this would actually unfold in the movie but it's smart to leave as a "what if" to keep the saga interesting. Same as how most of TLJ felt as though Kylo could turn to the light and/or Rey could abandon the light.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

:siren: No more spoilers required after this post :siren:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Zeris posted:

The reason it's all meaningful is that Luke knows the most powerful message he can send to Kylo is to do exactly that - chump him and deny him even the cheap satisfaction of murdering Luke. It's a win/win; either Kylo is so destabilized in rage that the good guys can take the upper hand, or Kylo finally hits rock bottom and realizes how much of a fool he is*.

Luke knows that he'll never own anyone as hard as he just punked Kylo. Thus, he goes out on a high note.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Snape kills Dumbledore, the cake is a lie, Kylo comes out of the closet, the whole movie turns out to be a fever dream of Luke's as he descends into dementia in the old folks' home and Rey is his niece who doesn't visit because the place smells funny.

Also, the rebels are ruined when the senior leadership dies from severe food poisoning (thanks for all the fish) after a command and staff.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 27, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't want to get too political, but Chewbacca murdering and eating one of the puffin/seal hybrid things from the trailer was entirely too obvious as a ham-fisted metaphor for the 2016 election.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i mean this is pretty much the entire reason I hate the movie. The entire plot hinges upon them being loving incompetent instead of anything the empire does.

Yeah, just seems like it's the writing school of "my job is to create drama and string together the big setpiece visual scenes that we already know will be in the movie. I will accomplish this by having various characters be idiots to whatever degree necessary."

I hate it when actual plot and characterization is subordinate to a need for drama. If I want that I'll pick up a romcom.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't want to get too political, but Chewbacca murdering and eating one of the puffin/seal hybrid things from the trailer was entirely too obvious as a ham-fisted metaphor for the 2016 election.

unless this is an injoke I don't get, you're loving retarded

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Dead Reckoning posted:

A loud, aggressive creature with crazy hair devouring the only decent and innocent things left uncorrupted by the collapse of social cohesion?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

this is an injoke

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17weg7weEkQ

someone edit this but with luke instead of homer and ben instead of bart

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Arc Light posted:

It seemed that Luke channeled the force so strongly he didn't have anything left in the tank; he burned out and became one with the force. His force apparition was visible to every person (and droid) present, and presumably showed up on the AT-AT targeting sensors. It also had some aspect of teleportation; Luke brought Leia the space dice he cribbed from the Millennium Falcon. That presumably took more out of him than lifting something heavy.

On a rewatch I noticed Kylo say “you’re not doing this, it would kill you” when him and Rey first meet in the Snoke induced whatever

I figured that was a bit of foreshadowing to Luke’s death. I mean, Rey’s not Luke, but yeah

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Boba Fett phenomenon is hilarious. Did anyone give a gently caress about him until like 1995? I bought into it but I was 9 and he had cool armor and a jet pack. Plus they always found a way to weasel him into the video games

lightpole posted:

the Asian sister it might be more interesting.

:thunk:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I bought the bounty hunters short story anthology as a kid because I thought fett was cool but I ended up like some of the other dudes in it more, dengar in particular for some reason. IG88’s story had him copying himself to create a secret army and taking control of the second Death Star. Zussk (short fat dude with gas mask from ESB bounty hunter scene) and his robot bro (forget his name) were cool too.

Prequels destroyed any appreciation I had for fett.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FastestGunAlive posted:

Prequels destroyed any appreciation I had for fett.

GET 'IM DAD!

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
https://youtu.be/K-Zmuoze65U

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The Boba Fett phenomenon is hilarious. Did anyone give a gently caress about him until like 1995? I bought into it but I was 9 and he had cool armor and a jet pack. Plus they always found a way to weasel him into the video games

:thunk:

On, no--people were super into Mr. Dangerous Mysterious Man the moment he showed up as a cartoon in the Holiday Special.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

On a rewatch I noticed Kylo say “you’re not doing this, it would kill you” when him and Rey first meet in the Snoke induced whatever

I figured that was a bit of foreshadowing to Luke’s death. I mean, Rey’s not Luke, but yeah

They show the dice fading away

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yes, I look at this and think "total badass."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wanted to talk about the force poo poo so copy/paste

so pretty much they realized they're a bit of fanatic/cultists and simply extreme on one end of the spectrum? It's not sustainable? I suppose a light Jedi mindset is too arrogant and just not having the mindset of failure as an option? Old dog new tricks? I know the expanded universe has a gray jedi or some poo poo that is a balance between the two, which is where this is going I assume; which some predicted. When the poster dropped everyone was arguing whether Jedi was plural or not, (i know it's mentioned to be plural at some point somewhere)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arc Light posted:

Yes, I look at this and think "total badass."

Hey man, I can't explain it either, and I was there.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
He looked cool and had a jetpack. That was pretty much it. I wasn't even totally sure of his name until years later. The only time it's said out loud in the original trilogy is by Han on the skiff, and he blurts it out so fast that I thought he said something like "bola attack" because of that rope thing.

Remember that books and TV shows--except for a couple of really bad cartoons (Droids and Ewoks) around 1985--were not a thing for a long time by kid standards.

Star Wars was a huge hit and phenomenon for my generation, but it got weird in the 90s.

For context, I mostly watched Star Wars on Betamax as a kid.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wanted to talk about the force poo poo so copy/paste

so pretty much they realized they're a bit of fanatic/cultists and simply extreme on one end of the spectrum? It's not sustainable? I suppose a light Jedi mindset is too arrogant and just not having the mindset of failure as an option? Old dog new tricks? I know the expanded universe has a gray jedi or some poo poo that is a balance between the two, which is where this is going I assume; which some predicted. When the poster dropped everyone was arguing whether Jedi was plural or not, (i know it's mentioned to be plural at some point somewhere)

Gray Jedi was a convo option in KOTOR I think? Basically saying that trying to cut things like "love" out of the human psyche because it might lead to anger being loving stupid. Basically, it embraced emotions while saying you should still be the master of them, not vice versa, because emotions are what make people people.

My take on Luke wanting to burn down the jedi order was basically more that it was too ossified and beholden to tradition, witness their inability to stop poo poo like the Emperor when they had the resources of the entire republic at their finger tips. And that generally the force seeks balance, so if you have a a bunch of super hardcore light side Jedi, you will get a bunch (or a few REALLY powerful) dark side Sith to balance them out.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

this thread need more midichlorians

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

midochlorians are the powerhouse of the cell

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

midochlorians are the powerhouse of the cell

Pretty sure that's mitochondria.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

this thread need more midichlorians

Agreed, but the Jedi Party kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8&t=547s

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

Pretty sure that's mitochondria.

you must be fun at social gatherings

Crakkerjakk posted:

Gray Jedi was a convo option in KOTOR I think? Basically saying that trying to cut things like "love" out of the human psyche because it might lead to anger being loving stupid. Basically, it embraced emotions while saying you should still be the master of them, not vice versa, because emotions are what make people people.

My take on Luke wanting to burn down the jedi order was basically more that it was too ossified and beholden to tradition, witness their inability to stop poo poo like the Emperor when they had the resources of the entire republic at their finger tips. And that generally the force seeks balance, so if you have a a bunch of super hardcore light side Jedi, you will get a bunch (or a few REALLY powerful) dark side Sith to balance them out.

oh poo poo yeah I completely forgot about the love part and no marriage etc, everything else you said makes sense. Regardless, the EU being non-canon is great because I'm having a laugh at all the nerds--hell could have happened in the EU I suppose, I didn't read that poo poo--losing it. ALL THOSE YEARS AND BOOKS READ :cry: As much as I nit-pick this space soap opera I do like the above angle, as I'm sure it surprised most. As well, they killed everyone in Rogue 1, which was cool and surprisingly unexpected, especially for Disney. Kylo is the anti-antagonist whiny manchild cosplaying Vader. I could have done with a proper Ackbar farewell and Snoke explanation but I'll not beat the dead horse of the latter

At any rate do people really think there's nothing more to Finn and Rey? Like that's it? The one storm trooper to ever defect (that I know about) and feel emotion and become a rebel was taken from his parents at a young age and there's nothing more? Come on. This is likely just hand waved for the story but he also whooped on Captain Phasma, and fought Kylo with a saber; Rey was knocking fools out on Jakku before becoming a jedi

And Rey is just a nobody? Pfff. Both back stories are already written and will be expanded about in the future i'm sure. Hell, we're gonna have Star Wars-esque movies for the rest of our lives. My completely random thought is that Obi-Wan is somehow involved, but I have no idea how. idk, there has to be something there from the previous movies related to both of them

Also Rose sucks and Finn should have died/sacrificed himself with the cannon. At the end Rey and Kylo still have that force connection but Snoke is dead? I know he said he bridged their minds, but I assume we'll be seeing more of that, and the 3rd installment will be Kylo turning at the last second and saving the day a la Vader

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 28, 2017

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

you must be fun at social gatherings

Straight men are an essential part of comedy. ;)

quote:

oh poo poo yeah I completely forgot about the love part and no marriage etc, everything else you said makes sense. Regardless, the EU being non-canon is great because I'm having a laugh at all the nerds--hell could have happened in the EU I suppose, I didn't read that poo poo--losing it. ALL THOSE YEARS AND BOOKS READ :cry: As much as I nit-pick this space soap opera I do like the above angle, as I'm sure it surprised most. As well, they killed everyone in Rogue 1, which was cool and surprisingly unexpected, especially for Disney. Kylo is the anti-antagonist whiny manchild cosplaying Vader. I could have done with a proper Ackbar farewell and Snoke explanation but I'll not beat the dead horse of the latter

At any rate do people really think there's nothing more to Finn and Rey? Like that's it? The one storm trooper to ever defect (that I know about) and feel emotion and become a rebel was taken from his parents at a young age and there's nothing more? Come on. This is likely just hand waved for the story but he also whooped on Captain Phasma, and fought Kylo with a saber; Rey was knocking fools out on Jakku before becoming a jedi

And Rey is just a nobody? Pfff. Both back stories are already written and will be expanded about in the future i'm sure. Hell, we're gonna have Star Wars-esque movies for the rest of our lives. My completely random thought is that Obi-Wan is somehow involved, but I have no idea how. idk, there has to be something there from the previous movies related to both of them

Also Rose sucks and Finn should have died/sacrificed himself with the cannon. At the end Rey and Kylo still have that force connection but Snoke is dead? I know he said he bridged their minds, but I assume we'll be seeing more of that, and the 3rd installment will be Kylo turning at the last second and saving the day a la Vader

I like the grey Jedi angle, I'm not sure that's where they're actually going. Rey stole/saved the texts, after all. And it's the middle of the trilogy that they seem to be modeling a fair amount on the OT, so it may just be the downer ending episode that sets you up for victorious comeback in the next one.

I'm not really sure they have an actual "plan" for Rey or Finn. Like, I like that Rey's parents aren't anybody special because I don't think the Force should only be about a few select awesome bloodlines, but Ren is pretty much the definition of an unreliable narrator. Besides, 8 pretty clearly shat on a a bunch of setups 7 was working on, so there's no guarantee that 9 won't reverse course again with a different writer.

I liked Rose, but her stopping him from sacrificing himself right after Holdo sacrifices herself and just before Luke does the same is just a super muddy message. I think they cared more about the dramatic tension of "Finn's gonna die! Psych! Dramatically saved by spunky Asian lady! Oh, and a KISS!!! Romantic interests, ooooohhhh!!!"

Not sure if anything else is really going on with Finn. I think he may just have beat down Phasma because he had his protagonist halo on.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The kind hosted by the number one DJ in the galaxy, DJ Dooku?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBpdKkbvrko

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Crakkerjakk posted:

The gray Jedi from KOTOR II was just a light side Jedi who was old and bitter. Yeah, his "Force-o-meter" wasn't all the way to the light, but his dialogue was all good guy with some old painful memories. He was married as a Jedi; it wasn't forbidden--at least not back then. His wife fell to the dark side, and he couldn't bring himself to kill her at the end of a duel. She went on to kill a bunch of people during the civil war. The reason he left the Order was because they didn't punish him for sparing her life. He was bitter that the Jedi masters were not cold and calculating about his actions.

Honestly, most internet nerds can't stop slobbering all over KOTOR II because "Oooooh, Gray Jedi. Kreia so edgy and cool. A real mature plot that recognizes the importance of balancing light and dark." Putting aside the rushed, half-finished second half of the KOTOR II, the first game was still much better in terms of story.

Or at least that's how I remember it from...however long it's been since the original Xbox was the console du jour.

Crakkerjakk posted:

And that generally the force seeks balance, so if you have a a bunch of super hardcore light side Jedi, you will get a bunch (or a few REALLY powerful) dark side Sith to balance them out.

This was only explicitly stated by Snoke. The idea that the Force wants/needs more dark side users to balance the light and vice versa is not as dumb as midichlorians, but it's pretty dumb. The pseudo-Buddhist philosophy behind the Force has usually been portrayed with Jedi trying to be in tune with it and achieve one-ness with the universe while the Sith try to twist and master the Force for their own passions and ambitions. It's less "hot vs cold" and more "harmony vs discord". If they're trying to change that starting with TLJ, it might be more interesting for older viewers, but it won't really be the same fantasy tropes as classic Star Wars.

Crakkerjakk posted:

I like the grey Jedi angle, I'm not sure that's where they're actually going. Rey stole/saved the texts, after all. And it's the middle of the trilogy that they seem to be modeling a fair amount on the OT, so it may just be the downer ending episode that sets you up for victorious comeback in the next one.

I agree. In addition to the preservation of the texts, there's Yoda, who is still portrayed as the wisest character in the series. He didn't mind burning the tree, but when Luke told him "It's time for the Jedi to end" his reply was "It's time...for you to get your head out of your rear end and get to the problem at hand." He didn't endorse the "end of the Jedi" point of view, and regarded any failures of the Jedi (including Luke's) as valuable sources of wisdom rather than a justification for giving up.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crakkerjakk posted:

Not sure if anything else is really going on with Finn. I think he may just have beat down Phasma because he had his protagonist halo on.

Phasma whooped his rear end, but was beaten with the ol fall-onto-an-elevator-instead-of-into-a-pit trick

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Sax Offender posted:

The gray Jedi from KOTOR II was just a light side Jedi who was old and bitter. Yeah, his "Force-o-meter" wasn't all the way to the light, but his dialogue was all good guy with some old painful memories. He was married as a Jedi; it wasn't forbidden--at least not back then. His wife fell to the dark side, and he couldn't bring himself to kill her at the end of a duel. She went on to kill a bunch of people during the civil war. The reason he left the Order was because they didn't punish him for sparing her life. He was bitter that the Jedi masters were not cold and calculating about his actions.

Honestly, most internet nerds can't stop slobbering all over KOTOR II because "Oooooh, Gray Jedi. Kreia so edgy and cool. A real mature plot that recognizes the importance of balancing light and dark." Putting aside the rushed, half-finished second half of the KOTOR II, the first game was still much better in terms of story.

Or at least that's how I remember it from...however long it's been since the original Xbox was the console du jour

I mean, it's been forever since I played it, but I was talking about the convo options that were more "grey Jedi"-y. Basically, you had paladin (Jedi), rear end in a top hat (sith), and "guy who isn't above premptively shanking people with a laser sword just cause they're assholes.". Plus usually one more or so? I dunno, as you say it's been a while.

But i recall a lot of the more roleplay-y conversations there was an option that rejected the Jedi disengagement with loved ones and broader events and was basically "choosing not to act is also a choice that you own the consequences for.". In both KOTORs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really weird to me that this movie and the previous one combined take place over a couple days at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

If memory serves, it was also a bullshit excuse (even in-game) for Kreia to act all high and mighty. Like, if you gave money to a beggar, he got mugged for the money and Kreia dogged you out for being too nice. But if you refused to give the beggar money, he got angry and beat up another vagrant, so Kreia yelled at you for being mean. Whenever anyone called her out on her bullshit she just kind of deflected.

But it was probably the only RPG to effectively justify you *and* your companions growing stronger as you progressed through the game, so all is forgiven.

• Locked thread