Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Watched it for the second time tonight. I understand and agree with a lot of the complaints levied against it but I quite enjoyed it because it was still true to the spirit of Star Wars (although I am fully in camp “should have cut Finn and rose side quest to save on run time”. Benicio hamming it up wasn’t appreciated for once- does he have a contract w Disney to do this in all their franchises? Etc etc with that whole storyline)

The luke/ren/rey parts were great and I like this interpretation of the force and the willingness to “kill” off some of the mythology related to the Jedi/sith and the force. Genuinely did not know what to expect with Rey or Ren possibly changing sides up to the very end of their time together.

Bomber part at the beginning felt like a direct homage to WW2 air combat movies, which I believe were a big influence on Lucas.

Agree with you lightpole with killing people off. Hey remember fam favorite admiral ackbar? Let’s just write him out real quick. Could have given skywalker a few more tender moments, especially with his OT cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Like who? I'm hella glad they killed off Snookie. The "all-powerful, mysterious, over confident sith lord" has been Done. To. Death.

Admiral Ackbar was my guess for minor but popular OT character that was killed. Also like I posted previously I felt like Luke going ghost was a bit abrupt, considering he basically said hi to Leia, chewie, and the droids and not much more. Could have gotten a little more dialogue with them. Han’s death also didn’t play into much. “Han died? Bummer. Well anyway.” - Luke

Also are we requiring spoiler tags in this thread ?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Suicide Watch posted:

Don't forget that Boba Fett was also a very hyped up character who was "killed" after some brief on-screen time. For Ackbar to go away as abruptly as he showed up seems fair

Yea you right. The other two I mentioned feel pretty valid though. I’m sure they’ll come back around in some way for some closure in IX but there was definitely missed opportunity here

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I bought the bounty hunters short story anthology as a kid because I thought fett was cool but I ended up like some of the other dudes in it more, dengar in particular for some reason. IG88’s story had him copying himself to create a secret army and taking control of the second Death Star. Zussk (short fat dude with gas mask from ESB bounty hunter scene) and his robot bro (forget his name) were cool too.

Prequels destroyed any appreciation I had for fett.

• Locked thread