Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

My takeaway is that while 7 and 8 are enjoyable star wars-y visual spectacles, I read the Thrawn Trilogy back in the day and I just feel like that was straight up better. Better villains, heroes, fewer plot holes, etc etc etc.

My main problem with the new movies is that I think the First Order is crap (and for ep 8, BSG did it better).

I'll probably eventually get the last three movies to watch now and then with my brain turned off for the visual spectacles and sound track and lightsaber and blaster noises, but just engh when it comes to them actually being any sort of capstone to 4-6.

E: Rogue One was effing great though.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Justin Godscock posted:

No kidding.

I know Palpatine dismissed them in Return of the Jedi but it's kind of funny how they just disappeared. Like, instead of just going into the next room where they could still hear/see things it's like they went down to the Death Star cafeteria for lunch.

That fight was awesome. And yeah, glad we finally got to see them in action. Although would it really kill either of the force users to give someone a force push when someone is getting all up in their grill?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah if when I rewatch all of the originals i'll be starting with rogue one

Totally.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Leia should have killed poe IMO

Poe does nothing but gently caress things up and gets literally 95% of the people killed, but he is still this lovable rogue who is going to lead the rebellion instead of some idiot who deserves to be executed

Yup. Everyone in this one takes turns carrying the idiot ball to make the contrived plot work, but Poe in particular gets a fuckton of people killed and leads a mutiny.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

i mean this is pretty much the entire reason I hate the movie. The entire plot hinges upon them being loving incompetent instead of anything the empire does.

Yeah, just seems like it's the writing school of "my job is to create drama and string together the big setpiece visual scenes that we already know will be in the movie. I will accomplish this by having various characters be idiots to whatever degree necessary."

I hate it when actual plot and characterization is subordinate to a need for drama. If I want that I'll pick up a romcom.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wanted to talk about the force poo poo so copy/paste

so pretty much they realized they're a bit of fanatic/cultists and simply extreme on one end of the spectrum? It's not sustainable? I suppose a light Jedi mindset is too arrogant and just not having the mindset of failure as an option? Old dog new tricks? I know the expanded universe has a gray jedi or some poo poo that is a balance between the two, which is where this is going I assume; which some predicted. When the poster dropped everyone was arguing whether Jedi was plural or not, (i know it's mentioned to be plural at some point somewhere)

Gray Jedi was a convo option in KOTOR I think? Basically saying that trying to cut things like "love" out of the human psyche because it might lead to anger being loving stupid. Basically, it embraced emotions while saying you should still be the master of them, not vice versa, because emotions are what make people people.

My take on Luke wanting to burn down the jedi order was basically more that it was too ossified and beholden to tradition, witness their inability to stop poo poo like the Emperor when they had the resources of the entire republic at their finger tips. And that generally the force seeks balance, so if you have a a bunch of super hardcore light side Jedi, you will get a bunch (or a few REALLY powerful) dark side Sith to balance them out.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

midochlorians are the powerhouse of the cell

Pretty sure that's mitochondria.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

you must be fun at social gatherings

Straight men are an essential part of comedy. ;)

quote:

oh poo poo yeah I completely forgot about the love part and no marriage etc, everything else you said makes sense. Regardless, the EU being non-canon is great because I'm having a laugh at all the nerds--hell could have happened in the EU I suppose, I didn't read that poo poo--losing it. ALL THOSE YEARS AND BOOKS READ :cry: As much as I nit-pick this space soap opera I do like the above angle, as I'm sure it surprised most. As well, they killed everyone in Rogue 1, which was cool and surprisingly unexpected, especially for Disney. Kylo is the anti-antagonist whiny manchild cosplaying Vader. I could have done with a proper Ackbar farewell and Snoke explanation but I'll not beat the dead horse of the latter

At any rate do people really think there's nothing more to Finn and Rey? Like that's it? The one storm trooper to ever defect (that I know about) and feel emotion and become a rebel was taken from his parents at a young age and there's nothing more? Come on. This is likely just hand waved for the story but he also whooped on Captain Phasma, and fought Kylo with a saber; Rey was knocking fools out on Jakku before becoming a jedi

And Rey is just a nobody? Pfff. Both back stories are already written and will be expanded about in the future i'm sure. Hell, we're gonna have Star Wars-esque movies for the rest of our lives. My completely random thought is that Obi-Wan is somehow involved, but I have no idea how. idk, there has to be something there from the previous movies related to both of them

Also Rose sucks and Finn should have died/sacrificed himself with the cannon. At the end Rey and Kylo still have that force connection but Snoke is dead? I know he said he bridged their minds, but I assume we'll be seeing more of that, and the 3rd installment will be Kylo turning at the last second and saving the day a la Vader

I like the grey Jedi angle, I'm not sure that's where they're actually going. Rey stole/saved the texts, after all. And it's the middle of the trilogy that they seem to be modeling a fair amount on the OT, so it may just be the downer ending episode that sets you up for victorious comeback in the next one.

I'm not really sure they have an actual "plan" for Rey or Finn. Like, I like that Rey's parents aren't anybody special because I don't think the Force should only be about a few select awesome bloodlines, but Ren is pretty much the definition of an unreliable narrator. Besides, 8 pretty clearly shat on a a bunch of setups 7 was working on, so there's no guarantee that 9 won't reverse course again with a different writer.

I liked Rose, but her stopping him from sacrificing himself right after Holdo sacrifices herself and just before Luke does the same is just a super muddy message. I think they cared more about the dramatic tension of "Finn's gonna die! Psych! Dramatically saved by spunky Asian lady! Oh, and a KISS!!! Romantic interests, ooooohhhh!!!"

Not sure if anything else is really going on with Finn. I think he may just have beat down Phasma because he had his protagonist halo on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Sax Offender posted:

The gray Jedi from KOTOR II was just a light side Jedi who was old and bitter. Yeah, his "Force-o-meter" wasn't all the way to the light, but his dialogue was all good guy with some old painful memories. He was married as a Jedi; it wasn't forbidden--at least not back then. His wife fell to the dark side, and he couldn't bring himself to kill her at the end of a duel. She went on to kill a bunch of people during the civil war. The reason he left the Order was because they didn't punish him for sparing her life. He was bitter that the Jedi masters were not cold and calculating about his actions.

Honestly, most internet nerds can't stop slobbering all over KOTOR II because "Oooooh, Gray Jedi. Kreia so edgy and cool. A real mature plot that recognizes the importance of balancing light and dark." Putting aside the rushed, half-finished second half of the KOTOR II, the first game was still much better in terms of story.

Or at least that's how I remember it from...however long it's been since the original Xbox was the console du jour

I mean, it's been forever since I played it, but I was talking about the convo options that were more "grey Jedi"-y. Basically, you had paladin (Jedi), rear end in a top hat (sith), and "guy who isn't above premptively shanking people with a laser sword just cause they're assholes.". Plus usually one more or so? I dunno, as you say it's been a while.

But i recall a lot of the more roleplay-y conversations there was an option that rejected the Jedi disengagement with loved ones and broader events and was basically "choosing not to act is also a choice that you own the consequences for.". In both KOTORs.

• Locked thread