Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just got out. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Very few of these, actually

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

My theatre clapped at least a half dozen times. I'm usually too grumpy for that poo poo, but I couldn't stop myself from enjoying it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

There is just something special about what star wars does to people, jfc

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah nobody is required to like anything, also I strongly agree that the leia space flying was stupid, not gonna firebomb hollywood if they don't do thing i love/hate in the next one though?

One thing the new trilogy has been missing is a person with a lightsaber sending blaster shots back at stormtroopers/droids/rebels, so hopefully there's some kind of actual ground battle that Rey will participate in.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I didn't even notice that

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I came in expecting a space soap opera with some questionably executed space magic and space tactics, and that's exactly what I got. Every star wars movie has stupid logic that suggests loopholes in the force, lightsabers, hyperspace, lasers, etc. So I don't understand the problems people have on this go-round.

In fact I liked how much this film made fun of those tropes with some self-awareness in the form of very tired characters putting the new protagonists in their place with some history and wisdom. And I liked how things went on to essentially reset, by wiping out most of the resistance as well as destroying the FO's biggest ships, retiring Luke, and so on. It really sets the stage for the protagonists to "properly" fight the war against the FO, starting from scratch, having finally been disabused of their notions for needing the jedi and/or being cowboys to get the job done. If 7 was the callback to the OT and nostalgia, then 8 was the goodbye to the OT and retiring the nostalgia train. And 9 will be something totally new...therefore people will hate it more than any other star wars they have seen so far.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The sequel trilogy’s message is there are no heroes, just idiots on to which we project our hero fantasies. I’m cool with that. We are simultaneously shown this by the young protagonists being let down by the the OT heroes and also by the viewer being let down by double deserter Finn, suicide plan ruiner Rose, Poe centerofattention Dameron, and sweet baby bbq bad parents Rey

Zeris fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 23, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The proper to answer to "Why haven't they always used that tactic" is that star wars is a soap opera for nerds, shut up idiot. No battlefield outcome or tactic has ever weighed upon the plot in Star Wars; it's always been about the intentions, actions and struggles of the villains and heroes. A dozen X-wings making it anywhere near the death star is dumber. An imperial admiral accidentally coming out of light speed too far from Hoth is dumber. A moon-borne shield generator that exists purely so Han Solo, Carrie Fisher, and Ewoks have something to do in Act 3 is dumber. Droid control ships. Clone troopers that can shoot down giant colony ships, but can't see Count Dooku's escape pod. Obi-Wan chasing a robot battle lightsaber general on lizardback. Wahhh my star wars is unrealistic!!! Episode 8 will fight right in with its peers, and it's totally OK. There have never been universal sensible rules or physics to the universe. Plot is priority.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Beautiful

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

BB8 takes over the new death star (you know there's gonna be one) and chases what's left of the first order back into the unknown region, ending on the cliffhanger of BB8 meeting his twin droid brother...the first droid jedi

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

McNally posted:

Over 80% of the Resistance is dead and it's all Poe's fault

That would actually be funny if 9 opened with him on trial.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

lightpole posted:

That Vice Admiral and the stormtrooper commander among others. Don't really care about Snoke but the constant, confusing storytelling to get there was terrible. I also didn't understand Lukes death. "Oh hey can't kill me!" Dies anyways. If the rest of the story wasn't so poorly told it would be fine or even good but as it is I didn't get it.

This was the first thing that came to my mind. Poe really started to irritate me towards the end, especially since if they focused less on Poe and more on Holdo or the Asian sister it might be more interesting.

Luke was stuck on his planet so he couldn't actually show up to the show down.

The director fooled us so we could follow along with Kylo's surprise at being fooled, which otherwise would've been a very boring plot move to watch.

The reason it's all meaningful is that Luke knows the most powerful message he can send to Kylo is to do exactly that - chump him and deny him even the cheap satisfaction of murdering Luke. It's a win/win; either Kylo is so destabilized in rage that the good guys can take the upper hand, or Kylo finally hits rock bottom and realizes how much of a fool he is*.

*Not that this would actually unfold in the movie but it's smart to leave as a "what if" to keep the saga interesting. Same as how most of TLJ felt as though Kylo could turn to the light and/or Rey could abandon the light.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

:siren: No more spoilers required after this post :siren:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

On a rewatch I noticed Kylo say “you’re not doing this, it would kill you” when him and Rey first meet in the Snoke induced whatever

I figured that was a bit of foreshadowing to Luke’s death. I mean, Rey’s not Luke, but yeah

They show the dice fading away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Cut him some slack he’s just mad Finn didn’t die.

HAha gently caress

• Locked thread