Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
So it's my birthday in a few weeks and my partner has said he'll take me to London for the day (we live near Birmingham UK). Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere fun and not too expensive to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
What's fun to you? Most of the big museums in London are free: The British Museum, V&A, Natural History, Tate, Tate Modern, National Portrait Gallery, and probably lots of others. You could spend a week in the British Museum and not see it all. I spend a day just in the Ancient Greek and Rome, Egyptian, and Asian sections alone. Tower of London is pretty cool if you havent been before. Costs ~£15 iirc.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Go to Ye Olde Mitre, the greatest drat pub ever

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Get the 2-4-1 Days Out thing from National Rail and do the Tower then find a lunch special somewhere. Also you can book to go to the Sky Garden inside the Walkie Talkie building for free (but book well in advance) for a really awesome view of the city around sunset.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
If you're like me and like schlocky horror, dumb theme park stuff, and tourist traps, the London Dungeon is fun and has combo tickets with the London Eye. The Eye is open until like 8 PM depending on day, and it's totally worth going after dark to see the skyline.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

There are some pretty weird museums in London. Postal museum (incl a tunnel ride), crime museum, surgical tools, all kinds of things. Just google "unusual museums london" and the like. The usual ones like British Museum are lovely- I saw the terracotta army exhibit there years ago- but if you're not a museum person it would be boring. You could also try non museum places like Highgate cemetery, though you might have to book tickets to the fancy part in advance in that case.

It does really depend on your definition of fun. London has so much stuff it's almost better to ask 'what kind of fun place do I want to go' and start from there. Like if your type of fun is farm animals, go to one of the city farms and luxuriate in animal poo.

If you like chinese food head to chinatown in soho for dinner- the Wong Kei is big and affordable and delicious!

QuantumTanuki
Oct 28, 2002
Apart from the museums, you can:

- Ride a Santander cycle along the Thames from near Bank Station all the way to Westminster.

- Take the water taxi to Greenwich and get off at each stop to sightsee.

- Go on a graffiti tour through the East (shoreditch, hackney, etc) and combine it with a pub crawl.

- Picnic in Hyde park (or the Regent's park or Hampstead Heath).

- Have lunch along the Canal in little Venice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

skoolmunkee posted:

There are some pretty weird museums in London. Postal museum (incl a tunnel ride), crime museum, surgical tools, all kinds of things. Just google "unusual museums london" and the like. The usual ones like British Museum are lovely- I saw the terracotta army exhibit there years ago- but if you're not a museum person it would be boring. You could also try non museum places like Highgate cemetery, though you might have to book tickets to the fancy part in advance in that case.

It does really depend on your definition of fun. London has so much stuff it's almost better to ask 'what kind of fun place do I want to go' and start from there. Like if your type of fun is farm animals, go to one of the city farms and luxuriate in animal poo.

If you like chinese food head to chinatown in soho for dinner- the Wong Kei is big and affordable and delicious!

There's an inredible prison museum I forgot the name of but it has a real chopping block from the past and all sorts of cool things like that.

• Locked thread