Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

What is Blood Bowl:

Bloodbowl is a turn based strategy game based on Warhammer Fantasy Battle and (loosely) American Football. Or maybe rugby. Better people than I have better summaries of why Bloodbowl is great, so I’ll link those:
http://meeplelikeus.co.uk/blood-bowl-2016/
Or, a video or three:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1espf8R_KMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBhFto3yfdY

What context is this played:

This is a tournament team for the GROONBOWL 1: a no holds barred 1000 TV tournament. The thread that organized it is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837631

I will be playing through with this team and doing my best to win with it, providing videos of my matches, and a text summary of the other matches in the tournament.

I will also be going through my logic for how I play out turns, and how I pick skills. If you want to convince me to pick a different skill, post a well-reasoned argument and I’ll read it. I’m experienced, but there are plenty of more experienced players out there. That’s part of the fun of playing on discord with friends - you learn a lot from a diverse and competitive play group.

We tend to play in comms, so I’ll be uploading videos of that with the live discussion, and going through strategy on both sides afterward.

Links to Games go here
Week 1: vs Randomus’ Orcs
Week 2: vs Tim’s Amazons
Week 3: vs Lawinator's Ogres
Week 4: vs ProZock's Norse
Week 5:
Week 6:
Week 7:
Week 8:

KaoliniteMilkshake fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Necro Team Overview:

Necromantic is a team which is good at a whole lot of things, but not necessarily the best at any one of them. It has some skills, some strength, some fast pieces, and enough agile pieces that it’s not terrible at handling the ball. It is a regeneration team rather than one with an Apothecary. This means you don’t get to reroll an injury on a chosen piece, so you’re less likely to save them. However, for no cost, you will always get a 50/50 chance of cancelling the injury. It lacks a big guy, but has a lot power in its positionals. Each piece needs specific development to bring the team to its full potential.

Werewolves:

These guys are great - they’re your stars, and you get 2 of them. We’re starting with both. They have Agi 3 and Move 8, so they start as phenomenal ball runners. They tend to build into very strong blitzing killers, given claws and frenzy, so their role changes as you pick up levels

Normals: Block first, they need it to do any of their jobs. Dodge next, it’s a bit too good to keep them mobile and alive. After this there are a range of utility options I’ll think about when I get there.
Doubles: Mighty Blow is huge. Probably worth taking over block
Stats: AGI, STR, or MA would all be strong

Player Summaries:
Water: Has block now!
Wind:

Franks/Flesh Golems:

Here are the team’s ‘big guys’. They’re only Str 4, but starting with Stand Firm helps you wall off a part of the field much, much better than a lot of other starting pieces. It also means they can work the sidelines safely, though it’s pretty rare these slow boys will end up there. They desperately want block and get it on normals, thankfully, but out the gate they still have a powerful skill.

Normals: Block first, they need it to do their job. Guard next. Mighty Blow is a solid pickup third
Doubles: Probably still block first. Dodge makes these guys harder to hit, and AGI 2 means dodge isn’t entirely useless, even.
Stats: Definitely STR, block probably wins over every other stat, though MA/AGI are fine

Player Summaries:
Ice: Has Block now!
Gravity:

Wights:

The utility piece, these guys do it all. They start with block, making them very useful pieces to blitz and base with early. They have Agi 3, so they can touch the ball, and with MA 6 they can even move it OK. They’re likely the first guard on the team, as they’re not mandated to take block first, so they’ll be helpful for bashing through holes or weaker teams.

Normals: Guard, then it opens up. These guys might be some of the first Tackle on the league, depending on the meta.
Doubles: Dodge seems really good. Maybe not better than guard, if it would be the first guard, but block/dodge is amazing. Past that, it opens up.
Stats: STR, AGI, or MA would all be very, very good

Player Summaries:
Clasts: Has Guard... and a niggle. Has to die eventually.
Matrix:

Ghouls:

Dedicated ball pieces, these guys are fast at MA 7, start with dodge, have AGI 3, and explode, as they have AV 7 and no regeneration. Dodge only helps so much, so any ghoul development is short term. We don’t have any of these right now because the werewolves will be the ball pieces to start.

Normals: One ghoul getting block so it can survive better as a ball runner is great. The other ghoul is going to get wrestle into tackle/strip ball, so it gets better at popping out the ball. First ghoul’s second skills will likely depend on what the team needs. Fend, Tackle, Sidestep, Sure Hands, there are options.
Doubles: There’s a world in which i take guard on a ghoul, but it’s probably just going to be another normal skill
Stats: Any of STR, AGI, or MA would be great.

Player Summaries:
None yet!

Zombies

The disposable, regenerating linemen of the team, these guys exist to provide tackle zones, take hits, and foul anything valuable lying on the ground. They’re filler, and we get another for free if we kill anyone who isn’t too small or too beefy. We start with 5 because we needed to fill out our lineup.

Normals: Block, Kick, or Dirty Player, to make the zombies better at hitting/taking hits, manipulating the kickoff, or fouling, respectively. If a zombie somehow lives to level 2, I’ll cross that bridge when it comes to it.
Doubles: Guard, basically every time.
Stats: I probably wouldn’t say no to Str, but that’s a piece that will live fast and die young.

Player Summaries:
Clay:
Silt:
Sand:
Gravel:
Pebbles:

Stadium Upgrades:
These will come up if I somehow have enough money to buy the 3rd reroll and both ghouls. They’re a BB2 thing that makes the game prettier, and provides a minor bonus to both sides, possibly negating kickoff events. The long-term bet is pretty much always ‘no more throwing rocks’ Squig Sandwich Shoppe but there’s a whole host of neat ones.

KaoliniteMilkshake fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 24, 2017

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

GAME 1: vs Randomus Namus' Orcs

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4DmfE2zxOs

Thoughts on the results:

Well, I got pretty lucky to murder a piece and pick up a trophy zombie. My biggest weakness was failing to screen properly during the first half, giving up the ball. I think I made proper risky plays during the second half, and I'm pretty happy overall with this result.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
You guys are in for a treat with my game against kyle, let me tell you

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!
I endorse this effort

e: My only point of substantial disagreement is that I would skip MA or AGI on a Frank under almost any circumstance.

For non doubles I would take all of the following above it: Block, Guard, MB and maybe even Break Tackle

For doubles, Dodge is king, though it can be painful on a first level without already having block and really slow down Frank development. Sidestep is also worth considering over either of those on a second pair of doubles for extra super annoyingness.

A blodge frank is one of the best pieces in the game.

I might condone AGI if you already have dodge. But even then, I think BT could effectively do you the same thing, but at a lower TV cost.

RustySeabutter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 6, 2017

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

RustySeabutter posted:

e: My only point of substantial disagreement is that I would skip MA or AGI on a Frank under almost any circumstance.

For non doubles I would take all of the following above it: Block, Guard, MB and maybe even Break Tackle

For doubles, Dodge is king, though it can be painful on a first level without already having block and really slow down Frank development. Sidestep is also worth considering over either of those on a second pair of doubles for extra super annoyingness.

A blodge frank is one of the best pieces in the game.

I might condone AGI if you already have dodge. But even then, I think BT could effectively do you the same thing, but at a lower TV cost.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm definitely fishing for dodge on doubles, but I think you're right about MV and AGI being too poor. I'll also likely just take block first over anything that isn't STR.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Game 2 vs Tim's Amazons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-gP76fEKc

Results and Thoughts:

The dice put me in a bad spot, but I just don't do a great job of digging out. It gets ugly fast but I had a few opportunities to protect my control that I don't take well enough, particularly when I let him take a risky, overextending blitz to hit my ball wolf rather than just hanging back. This also tells me how much tighter my screens have to be vs dodgy elf-y teams because you can see he plainly doesn't give a poo poo about what I'm doing, and he's right not to.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Game 2 vs Tim's Amazons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-gP76fEKc

Results and Thoughts:

The dice put me in a bad spot, but I just don't do a great job of digging out. It gets ugly fast but I had a few opportunities to protect my control that I don't take well enough, particularly when I let him take a risky, overextending blitz to hit my ball wolf rather than just hanging back. This also tells me how much tighter my screens have to be vs dodgy elf-y teams because you can see he plainly doesn't give a poo poo about what I'm doing, and he's right not to.

Yeah, you really need to get better dice

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I for one am absolutely tickled that you got an extra zombie in the first game.

All these Bloodbowl LPs are making me consider picking it up and running stupid teams for fun.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

dscruffy1 posted:

I for one am absolutely tickled that you got an extra zombie in the first game.

All these Bloodbowl LPs are making me consider picking it up and running stupid teams for fun.

The one caution to that is that you'll need to learn to actually play the game with a real team first. The stupid teams are fun, but unless you know what you're actually trying to do you'll just fail horribly every time, as opposed to only some of the time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TimNeilson posted:

The one caution to that is that you'll need to learn to actually play the game with a real team first. The stupid teams are fun, but unless you know what you're actually trying to do you'll just fail horribly every time, as opposed to only some of the time.

And failing all the time is no fun. I'd say play some Orcs or Humans up to like 1700 TV so you understand how things work and have some idea of the risks for actions, then start looking at the dumb gimmick teams.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Veloxyll posted:

And failing all the time is no fun. I'd say play some Orcs or Humans up to like 1700 TV so you understand how things work and have some idea of the risks for actions, then start looking at the dumb gimmick teams.
I would recommend Orcs over Humans for the very first few games, so you can learn things like how 4 strength is really good, not having block is bad while not having to deal with 2 strength or being tricked into attempting a passing game.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

gonadic io posted:

I would recommend Orcs over Humans for the very first few games, so you can learn things like how 4 strength is really good, not having block is bad while not having to deal with 2 strength or being tricked into attempting a passing game.

Humans have a few skills, which makes them somewhat more forgiving than a lot of the elf starts. They teach using positionals well and screening properly, a thing I demonstrate on video that I am still bad at - I started with Dwarves and Orcs, and thus mostly know proper combat positioning and math.

If you like dumb gimmick teams, oh man, the next match is for you.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Game 3: Vs Lawinator's Ogres:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwR8M96QnN0

This one is my own damned fault. Lawinator plays well and I get way too greedy. I absolutely should not have stalled T15. I'm happy with my use of zombies and hunting his Gnoblars, but my screening, once again, isn't good enough, and I need to count movement more. It's still a fun match.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Game 4 vs ProZock's Norse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D-8ZtRZFhE

Here, it's a combination of things. I get behind, and then I think my series of risky bullshit just puts me further behind. I think this is a good demonstration of how to play BB as a series of mitigated goals - try to win, then try to get/preserve development, and ultimately, try to not die. I come out even, with a game loss, and a desperate need to learn to screen better.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

What is this heresy?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

What is this heresy?

Something that angers people that know that push is 3 and 4.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

How does someone know enough about blood bowl to make that, but not enough about blood bowl to know that a 1 always fails and a 6 always succeeds?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Gentlemen, I fear we've been trolled.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

Gentlemen, I fear we've been trolled.

It is possible whoever made it felt that way. I’ll see if I can update it with proper numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

How does someone know enough about blood bowl to make that, but not enough about blood bowl to know that a 1 always fails and a 6 always succeeds?

Shadowing disagrees!

• Locked thread