Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so what is this all about. more uber wealthy child abusers got exposed by convicted criminal julian assange?

did anyone go to jail because of the panama papers the other year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Last I checked, it's against the law to send rich people to jail.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thing I have learned since creating this thread:

- the queen is a major embezzler
- the piss tape is real
- twitter and facebook take russian KBG money
- Lord Ashcroft, who I have written about for years, is a criminal, as I have been saying for years

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Trying to dig through the coverage to get to the actual bombshells is a pain in the rear end

If folks find any decent articles that actually summarize the poo poo with actual details please post them here thx

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Twitter and Facebook colluded with the Russians according to this

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The major money laundering offshoring firm has conducted an investigation of itself and surprisingly found no wrongdoing

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Trying to dig through the coverage to get to the actual bombshells is a pain in the rear end

If folks find any decent articles that actually summarize the poo poo with actual details please post them here thx

Speaking of bombshells, the reporter responsible was killed with a car bomb.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

viral spiral posted:

"Wow, I like money. Sure!"

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
that neoliberal sack of poo poo bono is in there too, not that its any surprise.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paul_soccer10 posted:

The major money laundering offshoring firm has conducted an investigation of itself and surprisingly found no wrongdoing

quote:

Appleby says it has investigated all the allegations, and found “there is no evidence of any wrongdoing, either on the part of ourselves or our clients”, adding: “We are a law firm which advises clients on legitimate and lawful ways to conduct their business. We do not tolerate illegal behaviour.”

We're a LAW firm. It's in the name!!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LostRook posted:

:hellyeah: thats what im talking about, this is the good stuff, not boring rear end "the queen has money in the caymans"

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Topic of conversation: Are both tax evasion and tax avoision acceptable in your opinion? how strongly do you feel about this

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
avoidance and avoision are apparently both words

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol gently caress u justin

https://www.icij.org/article/justin-trudeaus-chief-fundraiser-linked-offshore-tax-maneuvers/

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.icij.org/investigations...campaign=buffer

quote:

In all, the offshore ties of more than a dozen Trump advisers, Cabinet members and major donors appear in the leaked data.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mčre
College Slice

paul_soccer10 posted:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

donald trump is a pee man. he loves piss. he can't get enough of that hot yellow peepee

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

LostRook posted:

And the president of Malta isn’t at all suspicious about it and claims it’s his wife that did most of the laundering anyway not him so why would he help kill her

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I remember when the panama papers leaked, and the entire front page of the guardian was full of articles detailing how much data there was, and how hard they worked to go through it all. I never actually found any information of the actual leaks, because the guardian wouldn’t stop writing and publicizing articles about all the data and journalism they were doing, while failing to publish and publicize the actual results of their investigations.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Womens Jeans posted:

I remember when the panama papers leaked, and the entire front page of the guardian was full of articles detailing how much data there was, and how hard they worked to go through it all. I never actually found any information of the actual leaks, because the guardian wouldn’t stop writing and publicizing articles about all the data and journalism they were doing, while failing to publish and publicize the actual results of their investigations.

Yeah this is all the coverage right now and it's just loving unreal

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41877932

Here's like a 10 page article that says absolutely, positively, nothing. 10 pages of "We are so awesome for doing these investigations" and no details on what is being found

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah this is all the coverage right now and it's just loving unreal

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41877932

Here's like a 10 page article that says absolutely, positively, nothing. 10 pages of "We are so awesome for doing these investigations" and no details on what is being found

I was actually in South Africa a bit after the panama papers leaked, and I saw a South African paper with the front page as a political cartoon showing journalists overthrowing corrupt african leaders, using the panama papers as their weapons. I looked inside the paper, and the article was entirely about how large the data was. Absolutely zero information about any african politicians sneaking their ill-gotten gains out of the continent.

I also remember the guardian posting a gigantic D3/interactive javascript flowchart that we could manipulate to see how much data there was, and of how many different types of data. Then they included a 5 minute video that repeated all that information. It was incredible how self-fellating the media was, while still doing absolutely nothing to threaten the rich people in power.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Womens Jeans posted:

It was incredible how self-fellating the media was, while still doing absolutely nothing to threaten the rich people in power.

I don't see why it's so incredible.

Who owns that kind of thing?

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tallgeese posted:

You would have thought they had at least a small sliver of self awareness.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

1987 critics: this phil collins song is hokey and lame

2017 critics: we're the girl who can't walk but we're trying

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

loving lol at the Queen's money, much of which probably comes from tax payers, being put into a tax haven.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Poor rich people though. :qq: Why can't they just have their money in peace? :qq: They earned every buck? :qq:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Grevling posted:

Poor rich people though. :qq: Why can't they just have their money in peace? :qq: They earned every buck? :qq:

Quite a bit of that in the reddit thread. Lol at this world.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

paul_soccer10 posted:

thing I have learned since creating this thread:

- the queen is a major embezzler
- the piss tape is real
- twitter and facebook take russian KBG money
- Lord Ashcroft, who I have written about for years, is a criminal, as I have been saying for years

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I know people love to jump over themselves declaring this is not a surprise but it's important to say that this is real and also the people named here are crooks.

"Everybody knows" but the proof of things everybody knows is still important and valuable.

For instance, everybody knew the Democratic Primaries were rigged and Bernie would have won, but actual evidence is still valuable not least to protect against the attacks of people eager to smear you as a conspiracy theorist

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

viral spiral posted:

Maybe this will be the year everyone learns that corporations don't care about ANYTHING except making money.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I know people love to jump over themselves declaring this is not a surprise but it's important to say that this is real and also the people named here are crooks.

"Everybody knows" but the proof of things everybody knows is still important and valuable.

For instance, everybody knew the Democratic Primaries were rigged and Bernie would have won, but actual evidence is still valuable not least to protect against the attacks of people eager to smear you as a conspiracy theorist
This post started out good but got real sad :( Hope you feel better

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tallgeese posted:

This is a dangerous question to start asking

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BBC News seem to think it's earth shattering news - enough to break out the size 44px font reserved for special occasions at any rate - that three members of the poo poo tier sitcom Mrs Brown's Boys were in on this, using random screen caps from the show where they look vaguely smug in the headline for good measure. :confused:

Durzel fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 6, 2017

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

It revealed that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is a majority stakeholder in a shipping company with direct ties to the Putin. He is 31 percent stakeholder and is trying to convince people that he doesnt associate with the other Russian Oligarch stakeholders lol

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It's kinda funny how the more money you have, the greater your access to this kind of stuff. I mean no one on an average wage would pay for or even probably qualify for these sorts of schemes, and the people who do are technically the people least in need of extra cash. Basically what I'm saying is - eat the rich.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Gonna need a machete and a barbacue fork to eat these fat cats lol

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

friendbot2000 posted:

It revealed that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is a majority stakeholder in a shipping company with direct ties to the Putin. He is 31 percent stakeholder and is trying to convince people that he doesnt associate with the other Russian Oligarch stakeholders lol

Which means he lied under oath about it. So we have Flynn, Manafort, Ross, Sessions, and probably someone I've forgotten who all lied under oath about Russian meetings. Odd to have so many people lying if everything is legit.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

EVERYTHING IS FINE NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If we just cut the taxes on the rich then they'll stop using these tax havens, right?

• Locked thread