Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I remember when the panama papers leaked, and the entire front page of the guardian was full of articles detailing how much data there was, and how hard they worked to go through it all. I never actually found any information of the actual leaks, because the guardian wouldn’t stop writing and publicizing articles about all the data and journalism they were doing, while failing to publish and publicize the actual results of their investigations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah this is all the coverage right now and it's just loving unreal

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41877932

Here's like a 10 page article that says absolutely, positively, nothing. 10 pages of "We are so awesome for doing these investigations" and no details on what is being found

I was actually in South Africa a bit after the panama papers leaked, and I saw a South African paper with the front page as a political cartoon showing journalists overthrowing corrupt african leaders, using the panama papers as their weapons. I looked inside the paper, and the article was entirely about how large the data was. Absolutely zero information about any african politicians sneaking their ill-gotten gains out of the continent.

I also remember the guardian posting a gigantic D3/interactive javascript flowchart that we could manipulate to see how much data there was, and of how many different types of data. Then they included a 5 minute video that repeated all that information. It was incredible how self-fellating the media was, while still doing absolutely nothing to threaten the rich people in power.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tallgeese posted:

I don't see why it's so incredible.

Who owns that kind of thing?

You would have thought they had at least a small sliver of self awareness.

• Locked thread