Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is Oliver:

He’s a rescue mutt that I’ve had since 2014 or so. He’s a great dog, quiet, mostly listens, doesn’t tear anything up or get into anything he shouldn’t, etc. the rescue organization told me that he was found on Miami Beach emaciated, with fleas, and an infected compound fracture of the right rear femur, likely from a car impact. A local vets office took him in and righted all his wrongs on the condition that he go to a no-kill shelter. I adopted him shortly thereafter, and he’s been my sidekick since then.

He’s kind of a doofus.

So, he has a couple problems. He’s easily frightened, and extremely wary around new people and other dogs. He also has an extremely sudden “gently caress this poo poo” reflex, where he’ll go from mildly scared to snapping and growling in a heartbeat or two; Way faster than most other dogs I’ve known. It’s a non-issue for anyone that he knows, and dogs he’s familiar with, but it’s a concern when I take him out in public, particularly around children, because he has a very boopable nose.

Lately, I’ve been suspecting more and more that a great deal of his issues are due to two factors. A: He was obviously neglected as a puppy. Not abused directly, or at least not badly, but certainly neglected. B: I think he’s blind. Not totally world-is-black, but bad enough that he almost certainly couldn’t get a drivers license. He doesn’t track toys when you throw them, he runs into things, bangs his head (sometimes shockingly hard) when he turns around, can’t find the open part of the sliding glass door to go in and out sometimes, and per the thread title, has repeatedly fallen into multiple swimming pools.

He does look dashing, though.

My question is in two parts.

First, does anyone have any suggestions on ways I could make his life easier? He doesn’t have issues finding food or water, but my heart breaks every time he slams his head into a doorframe, table leg, or wall corner.

Second, I’ve been pondering getting a second dog. I have the room now, the time, etc, and honestly, I would like a second pupper, but I really don’t want to add any stress to Oliver’s life. Part of me thinks another dog would be helpful to him, but another part of me doesn’t want to complicate things. Oliver has my new place figured out, mostly, and I don’t want to ruin a good thing.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noisetank
Mar 16, 2010
*this advice is from my friend whom is more of an expert on the subject than I am:

"1) BAT training and counterconditioning are the key ways to help a fearful/reactive dog. (I just woke up and am too sleepy to link anything rn but if u want more info on those training methods I can dig them up)

2) I encourage ppl w blind dogs to involve their dogs in nosework games. Dogs actually are capable of navigating their environment mostly on smell alone, but it can require more focus to pull that off. Encouraging scent tracking may help the dog use his nose as a navigation tool. If he has corners he regularly runs into in the home, they can try to mark them with some kind of scent (I’ve heard of someone using scented markers, putting different scents on like sticky notes to mark certain areas of the house)"

pretty clever stuff! let me know if you need more and I can try to get them to provide articles.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

That IS one dashing looking pupper. Mine's just had an eye removed and the remaining eye has cataracts so going through a not too dissimilar situation. Our dog has lost her depth perception so frequently headbutts things but is slowly adapting.

I've taken to clapping my hands loudly whenever she is about to tumble off something or walk into something much thicker than she is. She is slowly learning where hazards are again and remembers where she got 'clapped', but given your puppers nervousness I don't think this would help.

Keep us updated OP

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
That fellow IS super dashing! Assuming the thread title is not a joke, only supervised directly outside and try to get fencing or something around it; I’ve heard of a few people who have had drowning incidents.

I hope you’re handy or know someone who is; I link this article to everyone: [url= https://www.handicappedpets.com/blind-dog-hoop-harness]Once he gets used to it you should get some good use out of it.

• Locked thread