Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
So how much longer before the Saudis finally make their move on their longtime destiny of destroying those drat dirty Irani dogs? Poster al-Saqr, do you live in the KSA? What's the word on the street there.

My Iranian in-laws are getting very agitated by all of this. The amount of times I heard soosmar-khor and taazi thrown around this weekend was lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Soon my friend the great ghazwa will begin and the sword of Saad bin Abi Waqqas will deliver the final blow to the Safavid/sassanid/rafidi/Khomeini hydra!! Just like the good old days at the battle of Nihawand!

*ululates wildly*

Anyways, but seriously saudi is never going to actually confront Iran head on unless they really have run out of options, right now they're busy doing reactionary moves against Iran in multiple theaters so who knows what might happen.

I don't know what those two Persian words you said mean, but looking it up on google it seems like it's some kind of racist slur, you should sit down with your in laws some time and tell them that's no good.

Yes, they are certainly racist terms. I'm Ghanaian/Irish-American so all I've ever heard about are those drat pesky Nigerians but that's kind of like squabbling sibling levels of xenophobia. My fiance, however, is from an Iranian family, and getting close to all of them has shown me a whole new level of sectarian/ethnic beef. I lived with Punjabis for several years and their contempt for Pakistanis is made to look tame by what I've been hearing from my in-laws and their relatives and friends.

My point is I've known them and their relatives for a long time and they weren't anywhere near this angry last year when Iranians were banned from making their Hajj. To see (on social media) people I know who live in Tehran so riled up is making me nervous about the situation over there.

So thanks for being a Saudi goon and not being freaked out, it makes me feel better. Though I feel like regardless of what the governments do, if the animosity gets too strong between two countries there's a certain point where conflict is bound to happen.

E: Also, I was supposed to make an Iran thread a while back but then I got depressed and stopped visiting this site for a while. If anyone has any ME politics related questions they wanna refer to old Iranian people or younger ones living in Tehran LMK.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 7, 2017

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

Is there a good summary of the Saudi leadership change / purges that could get me up to speed? If it explains their regional moves in more detail than my current understanding*, that's cool too, but not necessary.

*:supaburn:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-arrests-princes-ministers-in-sweeping-purge/articleshow/61514144.cms

Beyond the arrests, two noteworthy Princes died in a helicopter crash, the son of the previous King as well as the son of the man who was Crown Prince before the line of succession was changed to make Muhammed bin Salman, the current Kings son, the new Crown Prince. Muhammed bin Salman is accusing the Iranians of giving the Houthis the missile they fired at King Khaled airport in Riyadh, and said that could be considered an act of war against the KSA by Iran. They are also further cracking down on Yemeni ports, which at this point probably means medical/food shipments getting cut off because pretty much everything else already was prior to this.

Oh, the Prime Minister of Lebanon resigned, broadcasting his announcement from Saudi Arabia. He said he did it because he was afraid the Iranians would assassinate him. I think that covers everything noteworthy in the past 2 days.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Ok.

These old Iranians-- how do they feel about Iran's allies/proxies in the region? Assad, Hezbollah, PMUs, Houthis? Do they like these arrangements or no?

Just as a precursor, my fiance's parents have been in the country for several decades and are non-practicing, if they're still religious at all. They were very excited that Rouhani was re elected over Raisi and that his re election was a show of resistance to the fundamentalists still controlling the Iranian state (I don't think Rouhani is THAT much of a reformer, but that was the impression Iranians had of the election as far as I can tell). I'll go in order.

Assad: The United States should've gotten involved and forced Assad to peacefully give up power, but now the sunni islamists will take power if Assad is deposed so he needs to stay in power until Iran can clean out the islamists. They also think that the story of Assad just randomly opening fire on protestors is unlikely and that they head from Moji back in Iran that there were Sunnis releasing jihadis from Syrian jails and that's how the whole conflict really started, or w/e.

Hezbollah: I'm assuming you're just curious what they think about their recent actions in regards to Syria. It is, like with Assad, something to the effect of "they're overdoing it and they're brutal people, but if they aren't forceful against the islamists nothing will change"

For the Kurds in general, they have a high opinion of them. It seems like Persian Iranians in general have a high opinion of the Kurds. I have no idea if this is genuine or if it's more like a Donald Trump "I love the blacks" type thing considering what the post 79 government did to Iranian Kurds with no outcry from the rest of the Iranian public.

Houthis they think are great but I also think they know as much about them as I do which is not a ton.

I'm sure these are all that types of views you imagined. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to ask them around dinner time tonight in EST.

I think the most unique factor I've seen with Iranians, at least with the Iranians in my life, is that they feel very unfairly hated. That they were on the travel ban but Pakistan wasn't, the hate they hate they get from the rest of the Muslim world with few exceptions, and the fact that their country is a theocratic state based on a religion their Persian ancestors (which they're extremely proud of) were brutally forced onto. Obviously I'm only working off anecdotes here, but Iranians do seem to be in a uniquely unfortunate position.

Hope some of that was useful info. I am late on my coffee so apologies for it not being succinct.

mediadave posted:

I also have Iranian in-laws , but they don't really talk (to me) about Iran or the middle east except to moan about family drama and the ownership of the carpet factory (yep...)

Oh, and that Arabs are uncivilised camel herders who will surely learn their rightful place and did you know the whole Middle East used to be part of the glorious Persian Empire.

lol

Lol gotta have that family drama. At least your father in law isn't constantly showing off his beshkan skills to your side of the family.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 7, 2017

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it, but am I crazy or is this escalating insanely fast?

Torke khar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Count Roland posted:

No, its been years in the making. Turkey has threatened to do exactly this for months and now they're finally doing it.

Oh I know they’ve wanted it, just like Saudi Arabia eventually wants to murder Iran. It’s just surreal to see them actually go literally all out as soon as the opportunity came.

I’m also curious if this is the first time one NATO country has fired at another intentionally and pretending it was an accident.

It hasn’t been a week and things are already entirely hosed. Insanity.