Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Duckbox posted:

Some of the PYD people are dedicated/dangerous PKK lifers from Iraq and Turkey. They're lurching toward a one-party state the Ocalan portraits are apparently loving everywhere. There's been conflict between Kurds and Arabs and allegations of Kurdish chauvanism and shameful collaboration with the Assad regime.

So they have problems and big ones, but I've never seen anything that made me say "welp, gently caress them forever" and I'm still willing to count them as the "good guys" in Syria even if I maintain my reservations.

Öcalan loving rocks and I would be lurching with them under that portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I still don't know what Syria is and I will never graduate

öcalan is the light

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
manly turkish sperm is go space

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Monty Python makes a surprise return with a dramatic live action presentation of the Milkman sketch, starring Saad Hariri and the boys locked in that closet except theres gaddafi and mubarak and mossadeghs bones

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42020959

quote:

Russia has vetoed a UN Security Council resolution that would have extended an international inquiry into chemical weapons attacks in Syria. It is the 10th time Moscow has used its veto powers at the UN in support of its ally since the conflict began. US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, accused Russia of undermining the organisation's ability to deter future chemical attacks. The Russian ambassador dismissed the criticism.

So what does this actually mean? Russia can't actually shut down the investigative committee with this, can it? Or is this just more political theater?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
oh good

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trumps promises of doing something have always been contingent on someone not dangling anything shiny in front of his eyes. Which is probably why Erdoman went public with the call right away.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello this is your daily reminder to continue procrastinating on writing that OP

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spaceships posted:

hezbollah is not going to switch teams.

They be Bashars homeboys

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Let's not pretend there's any thread zeitgeist except talking past eachother and constant ad hominems

So long as we acknowledge that as prelude to the upcoming civil war in the western world, sure.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Houthis probably saw this one coming months in advance. THey always despised Saleh and he tried to kill them all before so yeah. Why would Slahe do this while literally inside the capital of the Houthis I cannot fathom.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al-Saqr posted:

people say Hideo Kojima's ideas are far fetched but the fact that we're 16 years into afghanistan and the taliban now got fresh help and now Erik Prince wants to turn it into his mercenary playground with no end in sight.

who knew that afghanistan was unconquerable? it's a surprise for everyone

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Taliban is essential to the military regime of Pakistan domestically as well. Remember who they used to kill Benazir Butto?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TildeATH posted:

Your dad sounds like a grade A jerk.

Anarchist grade cool? idgi

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spaceships posted:

my dad's a leftist lol

e: sorry he's not parroting american regime change propaganda

you should tell your dad a bunch of people on the internet think he's cool. i hope i get to meet him someday

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Preen Dog posted:

What should Egypt do? Go to war? Have the newscasters offer thoughts and prayers?

Material support for Palestinian dreams gets them nothing, and risks conflict with Israel or loss of US aid. Do you feel that Egypt is obligated to P. solidarity on race and religious grounds?

I respect your wider knowledge on the topic, but my naivete was impressed that they refrained from the usual hollow condemnation. :words:

Their bribes from the Americans were on the line, so of course they had to cave in. I mean, what would've been the alternative? Without that American "military aid" the regime would collapse in a couple of months. So when Trump says that he'll cut off aid from anyone who makes a fuss, it's actually really just reasonable to go along with it. Heroic, even.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now imagine those things mass produced and networked with independent targeting AI.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's gonna be a fun fun decade for AI programmers. All kinds of new and interesting ways of killing people.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What Clancy territory? :confused:

Autonomous drone warfare is in the books regardless, the question remaining is will it make an appearance in Syria already. Being that the physical tech seems to me capable of supporting it, imho the only thing standing in the way is designing and teaching the neural network software itself. How difficult that's going to be is an open question.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

We have that already, it's called smart missiles / smart bombs / smart shells.

If you consider all those four things to be the same thing in military / technological terms, then sure. But then, we've had gunpowder for 700 years or so and all technological innovations are actually just based on stuff we already knew and therefore aren't worth discussing and won't change anything since change is constant and life is a river.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Technology is a klesha anicca, an illusion of change in the world. There is in reality no change in the world because there is actually nothing to change. I've given up the harmful idea that technology can progress incrementally and achieved ideological samsara.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

They form sort of a hierarchy / tree of contextually specialized methods of accurately delivering payload at a distance, small grenade carrying drones may be strictly speaking a new technology, but they provide no benefit over the previous ones, they do not form a new specialized branch of the tree, and are only practical as a last ditch effort where more sophisticated and efficient weapons are not available, so they are hardly a military revolution. Full-fledged armies have vastly better weapon systems, and insurgents don't have the capacity to utilize them in a way that would matter much - while drones get publicity, the actual heavy hitters of insurgency bombardments are mortars and missiles.

An autonomous drone 1/100th the cost of a guided missile, or whatever comparison you wanna draw, that fulfills the same purpose is in of itself a military revolution. Whether imperial armies drowning funding choose to adopt them first isn't relevant. It's always been the question of how cheap you can arm a single soldier that has changed history, not who's got the heaviest plate armour or the biggest tank.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

at that point we would probably be talking about prohibitively sophisticated technology for insurgent guerrillas...

Would we now.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, considering it's something major militaries have been unable to implement with billions of dollars worth of research into sensors, software etc.

Well go on, consider it for us then. Make an argument already, jesus loving christ. What do these mystical billions out there in major military fantasyland have to do with AI programming?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Surely if some technological innovation like a cheap, easy to produce weapon mattered it would've happened already because the american army has spent billions of dollars on guided missiles and bombs. And they're basically the same thing.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Saladin Rising posted:

Well this puts a bit of a halt on any warming of Turkish/Syrian and Turkish/Russian relations:
https://twitter.com/HaidHaid22/status/951405909980442624

Turkey is stuck in a very unenviable position here (though they kinda did it to themselves), and I really don't this will do much more than delay the inevitable unless actual Turkish forces start getting involved in the fighting.

They could also be doing this to convince Russia that's what they'd do unless they come to the negotiation table.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Radio Prune posted:

Please explain the Houthi Nation and how they are a distinct people.

You're asking us to debate what is and what isn't a legimate identity for a people to receive a degree of moral protection against being murdered en masse.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Count Roland posted:

Being murdered en mass is bad, obviously. But the definition of genocide requires some specific group of people to be targeted.

You can't make it to a genocide by just killing enough people. I oppose the war in Yemen with ever fiber of my being, but from what I've seen it doesn't constitute a genocide.

I don't acknowledge a meaningful difference.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's genocide, homer.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

https://twitter.com/ClaudiaAlMina/status/954065474047836165

It's going to feel real bad if we end up having to watch Turkey roll through Kobane after the heroic battle against ISIS the YPG won (with US support) there.

Edit: After the Coalition said we're staying the hell out of it, the US State Department just called on Turkey not to attack Afrin.

I rather doubt Turkey is going to rolling through anything. They'd be launching an invasion through Kurdish areas of Turkey into territory they have exactly zero friends in, Arab or Kurd. It'd turn into a total quagmire right away and require an inhumanely oppressive occupation. Not that Turkey isn't capable of repression, but I don't think it'd be that simple considering all the other actors running around in Syria. They'd be forcing Rojava into a definate alliance with Assad with an invasion, and ensuring that the war for independence spreads again to Turkish territory.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42747702

quote:

Turkish Defence Minister Nurettin Canikli said the shelling was the "de-facto start" of a planned invasion of Afrin.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not an invasion yet

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, we'll see won't we. But let's be honest here, absolutely everybody knew this was coming, YPG/SDF most of all. I'm guessing they've used every penny available to those fronts fortifying Afrin and Manbij since the day they took them. That's 5 years for Afrin Canton forces to pour concrete into bunkers. It'll be a real fight for Turkey, that's for sure.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm wondering whether he actually got clearance for this from Trump, because if not holy poo poo you can trust that guy to do something unpredictable.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

axelord posted:

I never said that they are the bad guys. Though they are not good guys either at best better than other factions in a civil war.

Um, actually they are the bestest of guys and have never done anything bad.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

icantfindaname posted:

He’s not really wrong though. If you think that the insane fascist junta that would have been produced by a successful coup wouldnt have been as bad as Erdogan you’re nuts

So you're saying it's a race war.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looking more and more like Turkey didn't get permission for this from any of it's allies. Here's to hoping that Erdogan overplayed his hand wrt relations with NATO. Who knows, maybe some MANPADS suddenly and untracably find their way to Afrin if he doesn't pull out or something equally plausibly deniable. They're not going to be walking in that's for sure, plenty of time for all kinds of reactions.

Al-Saqr posted:

how nice of turkey to intervene only when it comes to its own selfish needs vis-a-vis the kurds and only after the Syrian revolution was thoroughly defeated, holy crap Erdogan sucks.

you remember when I told you that Turkey was the reason PYD didn't join in the attack on Assad? Yeah.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Assad's interests are what makes me wonder here. On one hand, he must be happy his only remaining real threat inside Syria is getting buttraped, on the other hand if the turkish mercenaries take over the whole of afrin and manbij, they'd have a position that'd be very hard for Assad to dislodge them from in the future. So question is, to give mandpands or not to give manpads? hm

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

If he does, Turkey will just give them to Nusra, so that doesn't seem like a good idea. Assad's best move is probably just waiting for the Kurds to come to him, because he can't fight Turkey.

You're saying that after pissing off NATO by launching an unauthorized invasion, Erdogan is going to give American manpads to al-qaeda in response to the SDF acquiring missiles of unknown origin? Well hell, I hope he does. That'd really piss off Trump, and more importantly the imperialist military establishment.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wouldn't underestimate Trumps ability to get pissed at any perceived slight or disrespect. Couple of dead observers should do the trick