Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's currently the fifth most deadly earthquake this century. Hopefully it will stay that way because the death toll would have to almost double to overtake the fourth most deadly quake.

That's incredible, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

When I visited Yerevan a few years ago there was EU sponsored celebrations in the main plaza so a few years ago there was at least some EU org that thought it would be good to be closer to Armenia.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

I mean you're free to believe whatever you like, but the reality is they were regularly hitting ships neither owned by or headed to Israel.

I'm not sure how some you keep ignoring that.

No one is saying there was no collateral damage, it is inevitable, some say that Israel has inflicted some unintentional collateral damage in Gaza even if the IDF internally probably doesn't think so.

The real test is comparing the population of all ships using the straight and the ratio of announced targets vs all ships using the straight against the same ratio for ships that were actually targeted. I haven't counted the ratio of hit ships, I understand more than 50% had a link to Israel in some form (ignoring the Houthi claimed they ignored calls ships)? I don't think 50% of all shipping using the straight has such links to Israel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

Whataboutism, yay.

You could just go look, you know?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Red_Sea_crisis

So prior to the January bombing campaign, there's a list of some 19 ships attacked. Using the apparent criteria at the time of "Israeli owned or headed to Israel", and based on the information in the table, I counted 5 "Israeli-linked" ships. One or two more may have been incorrectly thought to be Israeli-owned, but they weren't. Sorry, no credit for bombing weddings you claimed were Taliban meetings, Amerikkka.

So the Houthi attacked 19 ships but only 25% were 'valid' targets. They either couldn't correctly identify Israeli ships or simply didn't care about the rest. A targetting policy that hits the wrong target 75% of the time is, in effect, indistinguishable from indiscriminate. Even 50% would still indicate the Houthi regularly attacked ships with no links to Israel. Keep bombing those weddings, eventually you'll hit Taliban, Uncle Sam.

I don't excuse the US when it bombs a wedding, then says they thought it was a Taliban meeting. Why should anyone believe what the Houthi claimed when they just kept regularly attacking 'neutral' ships.

Anyhow, this is basically a repost from not that long ago in this exact thread so like I said, I see little point arguing with people still simply repeating the Houthi claim any further.

Way to avoid the guts of the post by claiming whataboutism.

Anyway, another way of looking at it is that for one target hit for three collateral damage is a fantastic performance in modern industrialized warfare. That is outperforming the US, Israel, Russia, Ukraine, RSA in Sudan or nearly any example I can think ok. Ok if you go back to WWI and American Civil war I think soldier deaths outnumbered civilians? There may be another outlier or two.
That alone tells you they are going above and beyond the normal expectations of belligerents and not the sort of performance you luck into.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

Hitting a neutral ship 75% of the time counts as "fantastic performance"?

Do you do guided missile target selection for the Russians in Ukraine or something? 'Hospital, primary school, orphanage, airfield - glorious success, General!'

Like I said, it is outperforming the US (who use much nicer PGMs than everyone else and just awesome C3I capabilities to target them) IDF (leveraging US assets and capabilities), as well as significantly more resourced (than the Houthies) Russia and Ukraine as well as the smaller nations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

420 Gank Mid posted:

"Whataboutism" as a defense against anti-imperialist critiques has its roots in white supremacy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

To be fair, they were using the phrase as a defense long after the US had stopped routinely "lynching negros" but in this instance, Israel is looking like shaping up to launch their most destructive phase (with an expected scale in the 10's of thousands of civilian casualties) of their operations yet and here we are devoting pages to what must be one of the only kinetic operations in the Middle East by a state level actor that isn't killing people most times a weapon is launched.

Weaponised whataboutism for me is the evoking of an injustice that is historical or of a vastly smaller scale with the intent to distract or otherwise prevent discussion and/or action on an injustice in the future of the much larger scale injustice. Basically a parallel of recognizing the imbalance of power.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

420 Gank Mid posted:

What year did this happen in?

The important word was "routinely" in the early 20th century it was more than 150 (once every two days is routinely for me) a year but was less than 30 a year by the 30's and much less since about the 50's. The Soviet Union was using that nasty history as a cudgel in the 70's and 80's. To my shame, I just Wikipedia-ed to confirm my memories so can't link you to the appropriate sources offhand.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

Or maybe the Houthi could just announce safe passage to Sudanese aid traffic themselves since it's clearly the moral thing to do.

Collateral damage is the price of doing business so can be discounted up to a certain point. This is not just my opinion but the international norm.

E) and I like how while those posters were discussing the efficacy of Yemen's actions in trying to reduce the amount of killing of Palestinians you leap in and go "whataboutSudan?", then the very next post, "I don't like whataboutism". I bet you reported him too for it haha.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Yeah, it would be a good look if Yemen could carve out as best it can the ships delivering aid to Sudan. It would probably need to do that in conjunction with the third party such as China. Saying that, I think there is many fingers in pies in Sudan as well so not sure if China would be on board with that.