Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im thinking by page three thousand of this thread we'll have peace in the Middle East. That's something to think about toxxing for :)

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's a nice thing to strive for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Hahaha very accurate

People like Haidar Sumeri (IraqiSecurity) are Zoya
Partisangirl is obviously Layla
Charles Lister is like a mix between Aidan and Habibullah

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

In 100% serious, not-joking honesty Iran would/will very likely be a much better steward of the Middle East than the USA and its allies ever were or will be

Would piss off most of the Arab world though. Not that the USA doesn't do that already.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Westerners obviously sympathize more with Shi'ites since Sunnis are the ones committing most terror attacks in the west, and Shi'ites are often the target of terror attacks in Muslim countries too.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Ah yes, another round of infighting.
At this point, anyone who believes the opposition can still win the war must be completely delusional.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

I'm at least glad to see that in that huge mess, there are still many people who simply want to live a normal life free from violence.

Only thing you see from Libya, Yemen, Syria, etc is suffering, war, or extremist religious views. Usually all three.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Elyv posted:

this has apparently killed over 100 people, mostly in Iran

Oh wow, I have friends in the area and they are giving blood. Not a good situation.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Mosul Eye revealed his identity.

https://apnews.com/cdc0567f7bf34958b914b15869392a84?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Isn't there a video that allegedly shows it being intercepted?

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Saladman posted:

Also shouldn’t they all be slaughtered anyway since they are infidel sub-Jew taqiya scum?

Saudi would call them Rafidah and begin by demolishing every Shia masjid in Iran

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Warbadger posted:

Ghouta appears to have been a shitload more deadly so far than Raqqa, Mosul, or Gaza incursions so I'm really not sure what your point here is. Killing thousands because you don't give a gently caress and shell/bomb indiscriminately is actually worse than killing hundreds accidentally while trying to minimize civilian casualties.

Definitely not even close to as deadly as Mosul. Mosul even makes Raqqa look like a joke in comparison. And lots of the estimates about civilian casualties in Mosul were way off, they're still digging people out from the Old City.

I remember in March 2017, the USA killed more than 278 civilians in a SINGLE air strike in Mosul. And in the week before, there had been 500+ civilian deaths in Mosul al-Jadida (a SINGLE district) from the air strikes and fighting. The Old City, al-Zanjili and al-Shafaa were pretty much completely flattened too.

Ghouta is extremely bloody, but still not anywhere near the level of Mosul.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Warbadger posted:

Ghouta isn't over yet. And yeah, so far Ghouta is producing a pretty drat high death toll in comparison. Hint: scale is a factor!

I mean, have you ever considered the life choices that led you to argue that hitting reported enemy positions precisely with small bombs in a city during a ground assault is actually the same as imprecisely lobbing a fuckload of small bombs all over the city blocks the enemy is in while troops encircle them?

Haha, 'small bombs'. Good one.

Also I never said anything about the government 'tactics' or whatever, I just said that Mosul was more bloody. And if the civilian casualties for Ghouta and Mosul are the same despite these vastly different tactics - indiscriminate (Ghouta) vs. 'precise' (Mosul) - then that really says something about how 'precise' the US was during the Mosul battle.

And in my post I also took statistics of the civilian death toll from a single city district in a single week of the Mosul battle. So yeah, I took scale into account.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Warbadger posted:

The casualties aren't the same you twit, the urban areas of Ghouta aren't the focus of the ground offensive at this point. They have been encircling the built up urban areas, shelling them in the process. You are comparing the casualties from assaulting and capturing a city district with the casualties from an extended bombardment ahead of an assault. You did not see anything approaching these casualties in the lead up to Mosul and I'm guessing that when the assault on the urban areas comes it's going to show a similarly awful comparative result.

And yeah, the bombs used in urban areas in Mosul were intentionally "small", often without explosives to minimize the impact on surrounding structures/people. But I guess that's all wasted effort, should have just bombed and shelled it all flat the week before the attack right??

The urban areas of Ghouta are also much smaller than the entirety of Mosul. You'd do better to compare the districts of Mosul and in this case, al-Jadida hadn't seen a ground incursion by the army yet, so in that case it was bombardment ahead of an assault.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Sinteres posted:

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights seems to have it a bit over 200, which is really low for how long this has been going on and how much territory has been captured.

Isn't SOHR usually quite unreliable? Especially considering it's run by a single British guy sitting in Coventry?

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Uyghurs are one of those strange ethnicities that are incredibly mixed and are both Asian and Caucasian.

Pashtuns, Uzbeks, Hazaras, Tajiks, etc. are like that too. The whole central Asian region is like that.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

As a German, WW2 has been haunting us for 70 years and it's just so amazing to me that the Brits and Americans got off scot free without any repercussions despite the genocides they committed. I mean, Churchill is on the drat £5 note...

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Cable Guy posted:

"I am a donut."

It's an urban legend... but I want to believe.

I don't think anyone in Germany itself has ever even heard of this urban legend (I personally never have). "Ich bin ein Berliner" is completely grammatically correct.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Volkerball posted:

Oh right, today's Zaman. Forgot about that one.

Unrelated depression fuel.

https://twitter.com/muhammadnajem20/status/977192814286180353?s=19

:smith:

Bana 2.0?

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

fishmech posted:

Should have told this to Saddam in August 1990.

Saddam was an idiot who destroyed his country forever, much more than the 2003 invasion or ISIS ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Volkerball posted:

https://twitter.com/Hassanvand/status/979999419264372736?s=19

Telegram is where the large protests recently were organized.

Wow Telegram is by far the most widely used social media app in Iran