Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

veni veni veni posted:

I don't have a pic of Aartrek on hand but just imagine this post is an image of him being a goofball.

2-in-1.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Breakfast Feud posted:

Goof is/was a synonym for bitch in prison here in Canada. Not sure if that's changed or just local to the prairies but when the corrections officer came to talk to us at cadets he said the worst thing you could ever call someone in prison is a goof.

I remember vinyl being lame/weird poo poo in the 90s and only having a resurgence in the 00s. Isn't vinyl's sound better/different because it's mixed to sound bigger/more full? Wasn't the late 90s early 00s the time record companies wised up to headphones being the dominant way of listening to music and then they mixed it to sound louder accordingly.

It means child molester in prison here in Ontario

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Beaten

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:randstare:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Sid Vicious posted:

It means child molester in prison here in Ontario

I'm having a hard time figuring out the etymology of this

"Dude you hosed kids?? Haha what a goof!"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

:aatrek:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

most people younger than 90s kids have no idea what this picture on the save button is

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

The_Franz posted:

another thing kids who grew up in the new millennium will never experience: fuzzy analog tv reception

Hell, a decent amount of 80's kids wouldn't have had to deal with broadcast tv. I grew up way out in the woods. Cable didn't come around till '91 or so. Before that we had one of those giant directional roof antennas strapped to the chimney. It was attached to a motor and there was a control box in the living room to adjust it. We also had the proper direction for each of the 5 or so channels we could pull in written on a piece of tape next to it. I hated when I wanted to watch something on the little TV in the bedroom but my parents had the antenna turned to a different direction for the news or something.

Cable was a goddamn revelation after having to use that thing. Even though there were only 40 or so channels at the time. The old antenna got some use after that though. It worked great for FM radio. We were in South Central PA and could pull in stations from Philly and Baltimore with that fucker.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes! Except 8 year old me had only enough computer savvy to run dos doom on singleplayer, and none of my friends had the means nor the interest in playing online with me :qq:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Also, how the gently caress was this indigo?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

hoooooooooooly poo poo

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

That strange guy posted:

Goof is the term for a child molester.

It's true, on the mean Canadian streets this is how fights get started

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

That strange guy posted:

Goof is the term for a child molester.

lol wow so did Disney just not bother exporting Goof Troop up to Canada or were things pretty awkward in some Canadian households when it came on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5wNX_mIraA

also goddamn talk about 90s as gently caress

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

we had goof troop

that isnt his real son

#woke

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I collect and trade old audio gear, so I have a amongst other things a Sony TC-D5 Pro II cassette recorder, a Pioneer 3-head tape deck, a portable Sony minidisc recorder and a Sony hi-fi minidisc deck. I've also been through about 20 record players in the last two years. What all of these things have in common is that if I get media of great quality, I manage to hook up some good connections and dial in the record levels just right and I wait for a couple of hours while the recording is made at the speed of regular playback, I can listen to the result and think to myself "Wow... This sounds almost as good as a regular CD!"

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I traded a N64 with 4 controllers, the ram pak and all the good games to EB for one of these. Cause my AMD K6 2 550 ran like poo poo with the ATI rage board I had. Sure, it ran half life really well but I wish I had that N64 now.

[img]Voodoo3 https://imgur.com/gallery/1WTMP[/img]

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:same:

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

most people younger than 90s kids have no idea what this picture on the save button is

It's a Microsoft Windows Window Pane. Just because we use apps now doesn't mean we don't know what came before them :rolleyes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HELLBITCH posted:

It's a Microsoft Windows Window Pane. Just because we use apps now doesn't mean we don't know what came before them :rolleyes:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thinking about those school fundraisers where kids would sell wrapping paper or other poo poo no one wanted and were baited with crappy prizes. Anyone else remember how everyone would get the lower tiers except for some kid who had a dentist or something for a parent and had them do all the work.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Yeah, I've been there. Anyone who used tapes on a regular basis had a few that got lunched. Vinyl is a different animal. Hipster or not, It sounds different than a CD or digital. For better or worse It's subjective. That's an argument for another thread cause vinyl was gasping it's last in the 90's. Tapes and CDs were more portable, and recordable. CDs sounded great, and were also portable. So that's what we liked.

It's weird that knowing what records were was treated as an unheard of anachronism by 90s media and now they're back.

Also lol at CDs being portable. Barely touching a Discman made it skip.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Race Realists, age 12, PE Class, 2001 posted:

did you know theres a way you could play Playstation games on your computer? i do it all the time! :downs:

Classmate posted:

ni**a you lying

Race Realists, age 12 posted:

but its true!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Maybe if you had a crappy one. And even then you could fit dozens of discs into a case to carry around

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

super sweet best pal posted:

Thinking about those school fundraisers where kids would sell wrapping paper or other poo poo no one wanted and were baited with crappy prizes. Anyone else remember how everyone would get the lower tiers except for some kid who had a dentist or something for a parent and had them do all the work.

I was barely able to convince my parents to buy enough for that first tier which was usually something stupid like a button or a couple stickers.

super sweet best pal posted:

Also lol at CDs being portable. Barely touching a Discman made it skip.

I had a portable CD player, I think it was an RCA, and I had this purse thing that had a compartment for 3 Jewel Cases, plus a zipper on the bottom for the headphones. I tell you, that CD player was a beast, I'd lug it around in that purse at high school and it never loving skipped with the 4 second skip protection off. I think I forgot to pack it when I moved 5 years ago, otherwise I'd still have it because drat that thing was still ticking last time I tried it.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I love everything about this:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

And then you’d miss the couple of channels you wanted to see and have to wait for the whole thing to cycle through again…

This is one of the many reasons I thought the satellite tv at my grandmother’s house was badass. “I- I can scroll through the guide at my own pace? I can JUMP TO SPECIFIC CHANNELS? Yesss.”

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

It’s 10 pm and Hotel Erotica, Emmanuel in Space, and Red Shoe Diaries coming up next on the movie channels. Choices, choices... :circlefap:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lemon-lyme disease posted:

And then you’d miss the couple of channels you wanted to see and have to wait for the whole thing to cycle through again…

This is one of the many reasons I thought the satellite tv at my grandmother’s house was badass. “I- I can scroll through the guide at my own pace? I can JUMP TO SPECIFIC CHANNELS? Yesss.”

That reminded me that there was a ~2 year period from about 1994 to 1996, my parents had a service that did that. I think it got bought out and rolled into the DirecTV system.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Iron Crowned posted:

That reminded me that there was a ~2 year period from about 1994 to 1996, my parents had a service that did that. I think it got bought out and rolled into the DirecTV system.

That’s awesome. I had no idea that was a thing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I miss that good-rear end paid programming like AMAZING DISCOVERIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSB4BvLSrjU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

hell yeah lancelot link, secret chimp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d5dKBMK5mo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lemon-lyme disease posted:

That’s awesome. I had no idea that was a thing.

Yeah, the remote for it had a basic thumbstick for navigation and a couple buttons. You could set it up universal remote style to change the channel for you (it would input the channel number). Of course we also still had TV Guide like everyone else back then, I still cringe whenever I see the new magazine sized TV Guides.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6lk3XRp8c

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
This is the earliest music video I remember seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-8CugsMdP8

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPS5J9_GNw

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I was too old by a couple of years when Tamagotchis became a thing but I gather if you were in the right age group, it was something most kids had, but of course, they turned out to be just another fad that hit the clearance shelves the next season. I also remember when the newspapers and magazines ran articles the year after Tickle Me Elmo was the hot holiday toy (apparently ignited thanks to Rosie O'Donnell mentioning on her very 90s talk show that her kids loved it) claiming that the next step in talking dolls, the Furby, a "smart toy with a personality that develops and learns about you" was THE future of kids' toys. Nope!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, the remote for it had a basic thumbstick for navigation and a couple buttons.

That reminds me: shallow thumbstick-style buttons on remotes. I remember from the mid-90s onward that was a hot design for the latest components but haven't seen a remote with that for a while and I think the last time I did was for the last VCR we had.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
furbys were the most retarded thing imaginable

but you know what wasn't? talking fish. big mouth billy bass is timeless

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Going even further back, right to the edge of the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SmTv7PqMUE

Those line-squares changing at 0:50 have been permanently etched into my 4 year old memory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Pastry of the Year posted:

I miss that good-rear end paid programming like AMAZING DISCOVERIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSB4BvLSrjU

https://youtu.be/sstCC7T0Do4

• Locked thread