Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Yeah, I've been there. Anyone who used tapes on a regular basis had a few that got lunched. Vinyl is a different animal. Hipster or not, It sounds different than a CD or digital. For better or worse It's subjective. That's an argument for another thread cause vinyl was gasping it's last in the 90's. Tapes and CDs were more portable, and recordable. CDs sounded great, and were also portable. So that's what we liked.

Vinyl also has the advantage of the cover art. If it's in good shape it sounds much better than a cassette and it's like you get a small print too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
You know what sucks about kids these days, is their acceptance of 128 kbps as a bitrate, as heard through their hissy screechy tinny little earbuds, or just blasting out of the sorry-rear end toy speaker on their phone like who gives a poo poo?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Vinyl also has the advantage of the cover art. If it's in good shape it sounds much better than a cassette and it's like you get a small print too

Be careful. If you say it sounds better the dickwads come streaming out of the walls to call you an idiot. I love vinyl but I go with "different". The album art thing is true though. A couple of the Led Zeppelin albums we're especially creative.

Physical Graffiti gas a super cool sleeve. The guy in this video is a schlub though..

https://youtu.be/KEn6ozb_ok0

And Led Zeppelin III...

https://youtu.be/Dy8HfXZEL3o

Besides that you could use them to shake the seeds out of your weed.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I still maintain that metal tapes never actually existed and that tape deck manufacturers just put that switch on there to mess with people.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
vinyl does sound better i grew up through 8 tracks and all that other bullshit i know what im talking about

fight me

let me put on my back brace first tho

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The_Franz posted:

I still maintain that metal tapes never actually existed and that tape deck manufacturers just put that switch on there to mess with people.

????

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone that is infatuated with tapes was too young to actually have to grow up with them. Same with vinyl but it's defiantly a cooler novelty than tapes.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Media play was my favorite store as a kid. poo poo ton of books, VHS, bideo games, cassettes and cds. When cassettes were being phased out in the mid 90s I was digging through a clearance bin of, as far as I felt as a 12 year old mostly poo poo.

There was a bikini kill cassette and I mumbled that it was a cool name to myself. So some 20s I guess, woman covered in tattoos who was looking through it too took it when I put it down. She paid for it and brought it back to me.

Thank you 20s punk woman. You're $2 went a long way and saved me from listening to nu metal a couple years later. I also bought a dead kennedys cassette because the cover looked cool.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Tapes were pretty 80s though. Minidiscs were the more 90s media.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

a busy tone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I knew one kid in my life that used minidiscs. It was all tapes till like 95 and then cds. Then the biggest dork you knew had a minidisc player.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

minidiscs were basically required if your band wanted to have a way to record jam sessions

namaste

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So Netflix added this show called "under arrest". Apparently it was a 90s cop show from Canada. Netflix has helpfully cut every episode down to 20 minutes flat and only shows the confrontations. 90s Canada was a magic place apparently. So many mustaches and 50 percent of the suspects they deal with are wearing a denim jacket and jeans. I also learned that Canadians like to say "buddy" and "guy" a lot, and that "goof" is the meanest thing you can say to someone. So if you want some of that good 90s Canada poo poo check it out.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

most of that is still true

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Untrustable posted:

So Netflix added this show called "under arrest". Apparently it was a 90s cop show from Canada. Netflix has helpfully cut every episode down to 20 minutes flat and only shows the confrontations. 90s Canada was a magic place apparently. So many mustaches and 50 percent of the suspects they deal with are wearing a denim jacket and jeans. I also learned that Canadians like to say "buddy" and "guy" a lot, and that "goof" is the meanest thing you can say to someone. So if you want some of that good 90s Canada poo poo check it out.

:lol: I'm sold

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

It's just hilarious to watch a super drunk dude yell, "gently caress you oval office you're the biggest fuckin goof I've ever seen." And the goof part is what makes them mad. I'm gonna have to start calling people goofs. It's also early 90s police work so not a lot of tasers and they're really big on grabbing people by the throat which nowadays is pretty frowned upon. I was watching an episode earlier where they knocked on a door and the occupant came rushing out at them and the cop grabbed him by the throat and put him in a wall. Like literally there was a hole in the hall made by the force of the cop's choke slam.

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

boner confessor posted:

cassettes are poo poo compared to CDs even. all the advantages cassettes had have been replaced by better medium. i've seen some indie music being released on cassette now along with vinyl, and i dont get it. vinyl still has a lot of appeal for listening to music at home, it's excellent for your living room stereo. cassettes aren't good for anything today except retro nostalgia

Dont roll your eyes too hard but classic hip hop sounds really good on cassette, the drums get all "crunchy" in a way that really suits the overall lo fi sound. In fact, it's a way hip hop producers today will emulate the sound they achieved back then: track the drums out to a cassette, recording it slightly hot, and track it back into whatever recording software they're using. Kinda like how an overdriven guitar tube amp distorts in a pleasing way.

The other advantage of a cassette tape is that you can't really play individual songs .. gotta listen to the whole tape through.

For the record I own 0 cassettes but this is how it's been explained to me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cut my student film on 16mm color reversal with a razor blade and double perf splicing tape, did sound sync with a caseette tape in a boombox and a tracking sync line i draw on the leader. shot it on a wind up bolex. i could change film in the camera bag in like 30s, blind. this is my bolex, there are many like it, but this is mine.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my class was the last (EVER!!) on campus that shot on film. at the time i thot it was retard poo poo for idiots since i cut my frag vids on finalcut or whatever, but hell, now, as an old piece of poo poo,.... i honor it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
smoking weed in the car listening to jamiroquai - only 90s kids remember this.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I knew one kid in my life that used minidiscs. It was all tapes till like 95 and then cds. Then the biggest dork you knew had a minidisc player.

minidics were aids fail since inception. i called it as an idiot teen and ridiculed the fucktards while sporting my epic 256mb diamond rio 500 with ultima online soundtrack on it. they said i was a moron, a single minidisc could hold 999999999999999999 mninutes of music u transferred oiver (in real time?) via the Optical Cable. Meanwhilw the pro tier diamond rio 500 mounted as a USB mass storage and you just dragged your napster mp3s on it. Simple. They all called me a moron... then? remember the ipod? heh. owned cunts. Easy victory. Chalk up another win for this YOSPOS Lord.

then again i thot mp3 cds were the future, anbd have been wrong about everything ever since. whatever.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I think I only ever owned two MiniDiscs in the 90s, and I remember out PC had a tiny cut out for it in the CD Rom drive that I used to wonder what the gently caress was for as a kid.

Remember LaserDisc though? poo poo owned.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Untrustable posted:

wow canadian police are a lot more polite and patient.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Jim Barris posted:

wow canadian police are a lot more polite and patient.

That's what struck me the most about it. It's like, "ok you're drunk driving. We're gonna confiscate your license for 24 hours and you'll have to pay a 40 dollar fee to get your car out of hock. We're gonna give you a ride home". They're just so chill.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Smythe posted:

smoking weed in the car listening to jamiroquai - only 90s kids remember this.

I too, have traveled without moving.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Before cell phones were commonplace we used grimy handsets placed in strategic locations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htky_qRk0qc

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Before cell phones were commonplace we used grimy handsets placed in strategic locations

You have a collect call from "COMEPICKMEUPATSCHOOL!"

Will you accept?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Goof is/was a synonym for bitch in prison here in Canada. Not sure if that's changed or just local to the prairies but when the corrections officer came to talk to us at cadets he said the worst thing you could ever call someone in prison is a goof.

I remember vinyl being lame/weird poo poo in the 90s and only having a resurgence in the 00s. Isn't vinyl's sound better/different because it's mixed to sound bigger/more full? Wasn't the late 90s early 00s the time record companies wised up to headphones being the dominant way of listening to music and then they mixed it to sound louder accordingly.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

That's what struck me the most about it. It's like, "ok you're drunk driving. We're gonna confiscate your license for 24 hours and you'll have to pay a 40 dollar fee to get your car out of hock. We're gonna give you a ride home". They're just so chill.

Double posting, but my older coworkers who were in the 20s in the 90s remember cops pulling them over for both underage drinking and drinking and driving and all that happened was the cops gave them a talking to and poured out all of their beer. Before they *tightened* the rules I don't think there was even a 24 hour rule. You got a ticket, car went to impound and you could pick it up when they opened. It's actually insane any of us are here now seeing as our parents drunk drove with no airbags.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Breakfast Feud posted:

I remember vinyl being lame/weird poo poo in the 90s and only having a resurgence in the 00s.

Vinyl was popular in the 90's for punk bands because it was cheap to produce and punk has always had a thing for vinyl, and hip hop obviously because of DJ'ing. Outside of that it was nearly a dead format for a while. When I sold all of my records a while back almost all the most valuable stuff ended up being late 90's to early 2ks because they barely pressed any of those records.

The funniest thing is that vinyl used to be the cheap option. Like 8 to 12 dollars for a new record. Then it picked back up and they are priced like they are made out of loving gold now. Now it's like "get rolling stones exile on the main street on Vinyl for $60 new. You know, that record that has been in every used bin for $1 for the last 20 years.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

The funniest thing is that vinyl used to be the cheap option. Like 8 to 12 dollars for a new record. Then it picked back up and they are priced like they are made out of loving gold now. Now it's like "get rolling stones exile on the main street on Vinyl for $60 new. You know, that record that has been in every used bin for $1 for the last 20 years.

And most new vinyls are likely taken from digital masters, mostly defeating the purpose.

Along similar lines, something 90s kids probably don't remember is seeing a movie in the theater that didn't have something digital done to it. Late 80s/early 90s is when digital compositing, digital intermediates, and digital animation colouring started being used.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 12, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The late night informercials for the CD-I gaming system.

All of them. From the "Timmy's gonna break the family computer" to "A Big Brother/God-like entity wants you to buy a Philips CD-I. SUBMIT."

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

another thing kids who grew up in the new millennium will never experience: fuzzy analog tv reception

edit: actually, there still is an analog channel in this area, but it's on low-VHF channel 6 which means that getting it is a pain since antennas made after the digital transition generally dropped the long elements needed for low-VHF reception since in most markets that portion of the spectrum was left vacant.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 12, 2017

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

JediTalentAgent posted:

The late night informercials for the CD-I gaming system.

All of them. From the "Timmy's gonna break the family computer" to "A Big Brother/God-like entity wants you to buy a Philips CD-I. SUBMIT."

I already posted the first one, but the Wall infomercial is also worth posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dV9nAx0TOo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Breakfast Feud posted:

I remember vinyl being lame/weird poo poo in the 90s and only having a resurgence in the 00s. Isn't vinyl's sound better/different because it's mixed to sound bigger/more full? Wasn't the late 90s early 00s the time record companies wised up to headphones being the dominant way of listening to music and then they mixed it to sound louder accordingly.

vinyl fell out of mainstream popularity but it was still big among collecters and djs. a lot of electronic music in the 90's came mostly on vinyl, so you could mix with it, because you could get really cheap turntables but digital turntables were hugely expensive. so they never really stopped pressing vinyl, which made it easy for people to start releasing their albums on vinyl again if they wanted to

i dunno if vinyl sounds better. you generally have it hooked up to a better sound system instead of just headphones. the real advantage of vinyl is that it's like a book, you can open it up and look at it and experience it in a way that you can't do with digital files or CDs or anything. it's much more pleasant to browse through someone's record collection than to poke through someone's laptop file structure. kids also really like vinyl, a friend of mine got a record player recently and her kids won't leave it alone. it's much more of a social experience than just listening to files on your phone or computer

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The last audio cassette company in operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMTpvr9HXeI

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.
Goof is the term for a child molester.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
https://youtu.be/QvK0lKksIuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That strange guy posted:

Goof is the term for a child molester.

I don't have a pic of Aartrek on hand but just imagine this post is an image of him being a goofball.

• Locked thread