Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

What are some of the worst game preorders you’ve ever made? Was it a cheap game, or a big fancy special edition? How bad do you regret it?

For me, the worst would probably be the N7 Edition of Mass Effect 3, which I ended up dropping halfway through out of boredom. A more recent one would probably be Quantum Break, which I had hoped would be Alan Wake+time control powers, but ended up being nothing but boring cover shooting through levels designed WAY worse than in either Alan Wake game, and 1/3 of the game being taken up by boring hammy FMVs. The time powers were really weak and uninteresting, too, which is pretty shameful- I was hoping for something crazy like what we’d eventually get from that one Titanfall 2 level.

Side note: I also preordered the special edition of Duke Nukem Forever, but ended up cancelling it a couple months out to buy some concert tickets instead... Crisis averted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i've never preordered a game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Someone gave me a free copy of Starbound when it prereleased and its still the game I regret the most

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Last game I preordered a physical copy of was Final Fantasy VII. My mom took me to pick it up at Funcoland and the guy there was all, "that game is awesome, there's a part where a girl practically gets raped!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Last game I preordered a physical copy of was Final Fantasy VII. My mom took me to pick it up at Funcoland and the guy there was all, "that game is awesome, there's a part where a girl practically gets raped!"
lmfao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

P-Mack posted:

LOL

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

P-Mack posted:

lol

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

P-Mack posted:

video game employees that would try to warn parents and poo poo like that should be hanged in town square

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

jet Li Rise To Honor or whatever on ps2

Soral
May 30, 2009

i pre-ordered spore

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

P-Mack posted:

Lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Soral posted:

i pre-ordered spore

No Man's Sky here lol . Old enough to know better

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

natural selection 2, now i refuse to pre order or buy early access

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

the only game i ever pre ordered was metal gear solid 5

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Brad Wardell's Elemental, War of Magic

a game so bad that the ceo sent out a letter apologizing to everyone who'd bought it

he also sexually harassed his employees and released bees in the office to test whether employees who claimed to be allergic actually were, so, really just a great person to send my $50 to

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

P-Mack posted:

funcoland ftw

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
FuncoLand forever.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
FuncoLand and ebgames were cool. I remember a FuncoLand clerk sold me halo when I was 15 years old even though it was M for mature. My dad ended up noticing the rating when I walked out and he went inside to give the clerk a lecture and get a refund. It was so embarrassing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only thing I can remember ever pre-ordering was the New Nintendo 3DS XL and that was good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I preordered Metroid: Other M and it came out on my birthday and it's still the worst birthday I've ever had.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I preordered Metroid: Other M and it came out on my birthday and it's still the worst birthday I've ever had.

playing The Third Birthday was the worst gamer birthday i ever had

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

P-Mack posted:

classic archetype: funcoland sexual predator

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I pre-ordered Starbound and haven't bought an early access game ever since

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

i've never preordered a game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

P-Mack posted:

ahhahahahahehaahae

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I started using the preorder discount at best buy this year and I'm definitely gonna get burned at some point, but not this year because every game is good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

an actual dog posted:

I started using the preorder discount at best buy this year and I'm definitely gonna get burned at some point, but not this year because every game is good.

Gamer's Club Unlocked? You don't have to preorder to get a discount, it's 20% any non-used game period no matter how old it is

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yea I waited instead of preordering samus returns cause I was nervous, didn't have to be tho I love SR.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
A character action game, when those were becoming rare. RPG elements before every game became overwrought with The Grind. A potentially interesting twist on already underused Norse mythology. A studio that had made one decent game before. I believed in the dream of Denis Dyack.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

classic archetype: funcoland sexual predator

please dont leak my new shadowrun modules

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

IdealFlaws posted:

FuncoLand and ebgames were cool. I remember a FuncoLand clerk sold me halo when I was 15 years old even though it was M for mature. My dad ended up noticing the rating when I walked out and he went inside to give the clerk a lecture and get a refund. It was so embarrassing.

Your dad is a big pussy.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Fargield posted:

Your dad is a big pussy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oblivion Collector Edition with that stupid loving coin

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Cube world

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Good god

https://www.reddit.com/r/CubeWorld/comments/7at2h9/found_this_on_the_no_mans_sky_reddit_and_it/

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Cube world

Oh my God.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I preordered Brink, which is now known as "getting Brinked".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nitevision posted:

I preordered Brink, which is now known as "getting Brinked".
What even was Brink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

FactsAreUseless posted:

What even was Brink?

One of Splash Damage's several attempts to make another Wolfenstein ET. It shipped with a bunch of bugs and balance issues and after touting that it was developedto be easy to patch, never patched it. Instead they released a paid DLC while it was dying, a handful of months after launch. Requiescat in pace.

• Locked thread