Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You could just pair the new watch and see what happens. I bet that will suffice.

If you wanna make sure, unpair your old one (this creates a backup) and then restore from said backup while setting up the new watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I read that the stainless ones have displays that are harder to read in direct sunlight for some reason. But maybe that only applies to the OG watches.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I had a similar issue where the phone would keep buzzing even though I was looking at it and wearing the watch. I think I solved it by unpairing and re-pairing the watch, which generally fixes most problems (lovely battery life after an update and others, too).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah that bit is annoying. Also nobody do that unless you got a way to charge your watch because on my old S0 it’ll nearly kill a full battery.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s only for updates, yeah.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

cowofwar posted:

I'm a fairly lean guy, my wrist is around 17cm. What is a good watch band that gives a fairly even pressure distribution over such a squashed cylinder (4.5cm/6cm) shape and breaths well enough to not get gross/smelly/uncomfortable when running? I imagine the Nike one with holes is best? Although I feel like a more flexible fabric band might work better since I hate tight watch bands.

I doubt the Nike band is gonna help with the sweatiness, but probably better than the regular sport band. Sport loop is probably the most comfortable of them all.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

fair. I don't know what she does to it or if it's just worn down worse, but she'll put it on at the beginning of the day and at the end of the work day it's dead. Whereas my S3 is usually at about 75% at bedtime.

Does she scribble a lot? Whenever I extensively use my S0 watch to answer to texts it doesn’t last the day.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

nope. she uses it pretty much exclusively for notifications.

Weird. Did ya try unpairing and pairing again yet? Usually does the trick for me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Re: the guy looking for not looking at your phone advice

Yeah it’ll help ya look at your phone less, at least it did for me. What also helped was turning the phone screen black & white in the accessibility settings.

Also I‘d recommend the aluminium watch because I’ve heard the polished steel on the stainless steel one scratches easier. Dunno about the screen though. I’d get Apple Care and just forget about it. Or do what a colleague of mine does and wear the face on the inside of your wrist.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I'm fairly sure Flat Tomato does exactly that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Get one of the pride bands then, duh.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

bawfuls posted:

My watch constantly sends notifications for my own texts in a conversation when I send them from my phone. Is this normal behavior or a setting or?

It’s a weird bug I think. Comes and goes on old and fresh installs. Haven’t had it go on for longer than a couple messages though.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

While we're at the subject of fitness apps, what's the deal with Health data? Somehow something always gets borked when I try apps other than the stock Activity app. After I upgraded to a 3 GPS, I decided I'd give Nike Run Club another chance (it constantly crashed on my old watch) and at first it worked fine but then completely refused to show my last run in the app. It shows up in Activity on the phone, calories get logged etc. but I can't view it in the NRC app which sucks because I was gonna get a medal :saddowns:

So I switched to Strava which seems pretty cool with the highscores for run segments but was rather puzzled when my first run showed up as zero calories in Strava (but the activity ring still filled up) but assumed that Strava runs somehow don't count. It logged pace and time fine. Then I ran the second time and once the run uploaded to the phone, it updated the calorie count by about 200ish calories and is showing calorie count. The first run however is still shown at zero calories (but 500ish calories logged in the stock app still). I dunno if that makes any sense. All I'm doing is starting a workout on my watch, running without the phone and then stopping the workout, then waiting for it to upload to the phone.

I wonder if it's even worth the hassle to use apps besides the stock app for measuring workouts.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It reports everything, pace, time, heartrate - just not calories. Weird but eh, I can view my stats in the app otherwise.

I’ll give iSmoothRun a shot, thanks!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Well gently caress, if it has trouble staying in the foreground that’s kind of a dealbreaker. Guess I’ll still try it out.

But jeez how hard can it be to have the apps access the activity data and just use Activity and then view your stats in whatever app?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The Apple store clerk told me it’s fine regarding the 3. dunno if it’s official policy tho but it didn’t seem very nudge nudge wink wink

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It should back up the data when unpairing. I don’t know how to manually backup or check for backups though.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Pauses any workout.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Our warranty periods are backed by legislation for the life of the product.

So no matter how old, you get a new one? Huh, that’s generous consumer law. I thought two years were bordering on good.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Gotta use the Strava app. It’s kinda dumb, other fitness apps should just access Health data and be done with it but apparently that’s not how it works. Bleh.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Thinner watches would be neat but I like it as it is. I just hope they don't sacrifice wristband backwards compatibility for thinness down the line. As such I'm super glad they're apparently keeping the wristband compatibility with the 4.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

My plan is to get this stand for my S0 and just be done with it: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MYNE2BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4DDMBbSNCSB5V - honestly I’d feel bad selling it at this point because anyone buying it would have to pay €97 or whatever to replace the battery first.

Also not upgrading my S3, I’m kinda mad I upgraded just this spring but it’s gonna be good enough til the next upgrade.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That and the backside which you’ll never see while in use got a little Nike logo somewhere but other than that, it’s the same.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Seems they outsourced translations or something. The weather complication in 5 shows the current weather as “ungesund”, which translates to “not healthy”. I’m stumped as to what they actually mean. Did they hire Carrot’s translators?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you sure the complication is from Weather and not Health??

:laffo:

fourwood posted:

Sounds like an air quality comment?

Not sure what the complication says, but I’ve seen “unhealthy for sensitive groups” on the iPhone weather app.

A friend of mine pointed out he saw it in the stock phone weather app too. Just now it's showing "Ungesund/Empfindlich" which translates to "Not healthy/Sensitive" (although it kinda sounds like "touchy" to be quite honest) and the phone app says "Ungesunde Luft für empfindliche Gruppen/unhealthy air for sensitive groups" so that's an explanation. Really weird tho. We had a kinda hot summer and that never ever popped up. Also a weird way to show it on the watch because it's useless, but eh, makes sense in a roundabout way.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I guess you could double-click the crown or other button (I dunno which) to switch between Activity and Stopwatch?

Also maybe look into how Activity handles intervals now, it was a double-tap on the display but it wouldn't show how long the interval went on in watchOS 4, I think. No idea how it is in 5.

edit: you should definitely be able to access the standalone stopwatch, yep. Pressing the crown in Activity should take you back to the watch face and from there you can start whatever.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yep, that toggle should be in the watch app’s settings under “code”. Failing that, try a re-pair.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get that the challenges are tailored to your own activities but I guess I expected there to be an upper limit. Being asked to do an impossible task isn’t exactly a motivator.

Eh, it's not that impossible if you walk around a lot and like you said, professional athletes shouldn't have any trouble achieving that. I sometimes think my custom monthly achievements are impossible but then I start working on them and they get a lot more reasonable. Upper limits would be kinda lame because everyone's different.

OTOH the activity app refused to track my Strava workouts last month so I couldn't even make the "do 4 workouts" achievement I got in September. v:v:v

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

You need an extra app if you wanna record stuff in the stock activity app and export it to other apps later on so I just track everything from Strava right away. Some people start their workouts from the phone but I always just use the watch app.

Strava has been pretty reliable for me even if synching can take a bit after a run/ride. Be advised that it’ll sometimes actually detract (though maybe my bike game is just weak) calories from bike rides because it does some kinda magic that also makes it add calories to runs.

The Nike app has straight up swallowed workouts so I’m wary of that one.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That was me! Yeah on the watch it’s weird but on the phone it makes a lot more sense though it doesn’t really say who’s affected, just “certain groups”... glad it seems to be a global problem at least :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Neat, looks rounder, too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

My October challenge is 900 exercise minutes :negative:

lol you can achieve that by doing 29 min every day and go out with 30 minutes on your last day, haha

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

FWIW the stock weather complication keeps loving up too. Sometimes switching between watch faces or tapping the complication fixes it but not always.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Won't tell you how well those apps "replace" phone apps, though. The YNAB app for instance just shows you the budget balances with no way to edit anything. From my experience most watch apps are similar - you can view some info but in most cases you can't really do anything with the apps on the watch.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Eh, get a 3 or a 4 or whatever is available at the store, test drive it for a week and see how you feel about it. If it's bleh, return it. It's gonna be a huge upgrade coming from a 0 but if you just don't care about the watch as a whole you might just as well call it quits.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s exactly my usage pattern - that and workouts. The upgrade was worth it alone for the fact that I didn’t have to charge it twice daily anymore.

If you can wait you’ll certainly get some cool deals in December I guess!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Is it just a regular popup like "hi this event is happening now" or is it "hi it's time to leave"? Because I get those notifications when I enter an address for an event because that automatically activates the "alert me when it's time to leave" thingie.

Failing that, have you tried re-pairing? I remember alerts loving up for me one time just like you described, but for a different app, and re-pairing fixed that. Drove me nuts until I re-paired.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Weird. No idea then. It's disabled in the events themselves, too?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yep, third party stuff is all over the place sometimes and most certainly doesn’t register as „workout“ in most cases even though it shows up in activity.app perfectly fine with regards to most data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The trick is to build up surplus stand credit so you can slack off when the detection gets wonky :v: