Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Any news on putting downloaded Spotify tracks onto AW? The Spotify + Hulu bundle was too good for me to pass up but I'd like to be able to go for a run with just my AirPods and Watch.

I know there wan an independent developer working on it about a year ago, but he got scooped by Spotify before releasing his app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My S2 has been acting really wonky (software is up to date), consistently losing connection to my phone when I am not on WiFi. A restart seems to re-connect it, but this gets a little frustrating have to do it every other day or so.

So I think I need to unpair the watch completely and then re-pair it. I did this a year ago (and was running iOS 11 beta at the time on my phone) and lost about 8 weeks of Activity / Health data. How can I verify the last Watch backup or Activity / Health backup date?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Any of my duders rocking the 38mm 🤔 messed around with it a bit and thought I’d dislike it more but it’s actually more dainty and still perfectly serviceable

I (male) used a 38mm for about a year and a half before switching to the 42mm about a year ago. I have smaller wrists so the 38mm fit was totally fine, but overall I definitely like the rectangular shape of the 42mm vs the more square 38mm.

And if they released a bigger one I would probably go for it as long as the weight wasn't noticably more than the 42 mm.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
AirPods are great, but the ear detection could be improved. I am on and off my office landline a lot during the day, so I'm frequently taking them in and out. I probably have to duck into the BT settings 2 or 3 times per day to manually pair them.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Their documentation says the watch will be fine, but certain bands may be damaged by the salt water. Use a sport band.

Personally, I'd be more worried about sand possibly scratching up the watch as well as getting all in it and stuff.

The marketing materials have always been really weird about whether or not the water proof/resistance applied to salt water. I remember in the S3 LTE reveal there was a girl surfing (or paddle boarding?) but there were no waves whatsoever and it looked like a lake.

Having said that I've only ever taken my S2 into pools and fresh water lakes. Never into the ocean.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Walkie talkie is a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping it'd be more like Voxer where it'd queue up the received messages and you could review them at leisure or if you missed what they said. It's literally a walkie talkie, with no 2018 benefits other than range not being an issue.

Plus, unless I want messages to come in when I'm at work I have to manually check available on and off. Just doesn't seem very well thought. Doing a voxer so it was asynchronous but fast enough to feel like real time would have been the best IMO.

Also on my S2 battery life suffered considerably when keeping myself available on Walkie Talkie.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there seriously no way to not sync photos to my watch. What the gently caress.

The only photos that sync to my AW are ones that I favorite in the Photos app on my phone.

Watch.app --> Photos--> Photo Syncing. Change the synced album to favorites or whatever album you want. You can also limit the number of photos synced.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RoboCop 3 posted:

The activity tracking really does seem off in Watch OS 5. I’ve done almost nothing but lay in bed today (it was a rough week), and I’m at 82% of my move goal and 91% of my stand goal. I met my “stand” goal 11 times while I was sleeping.

Getting my S2 is record exercise has been near impossible. I regularly go jogging on my lunch break and I would always hit my exercise goal during it. Since updating I am lucky if I get 2 or 3 minutes of exercise credited.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

I asked yesterday but I’m gonna ask again today...with pictures. It was said to be a database error, but it’s like, two days after now and poo poo.

So, anyway, on Sept 28 I ordered a SBSS watch through AT&T and was given an expected delivery date of Nov 5 - 12.

However, if I browse AT&T for the same watch, the estimate is late Oct.

So like, what the hell.

Order it again and then return the one delivered in November.

Apple and ATT are notoriously conservative with their delivery estimates. If you miss the initial pre order batch (whether it be a phone or a watch) they usually give you some date 4 - 6 weeks out then actually deliver in 2 - 3.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Of all the things you can day about the Apple Watch; saying that it doesn't replace a watch is quite wrong. It literally tells you the time on every screen of every application, except the App cluster (which still shows the time in the center to return to the watch face).

I think you are looking for a more specialized device for activity tracking. This is meant for the mass market. 99.99% of people are not interested in putting a chest strap on every morning to check their heart rate. It just needs to be good enough.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RoboCop 3 posted:

I asked this before, but I didn't get any replies. Does the watch need to be "in range" (Bluetooth range, I assume) of its parent iPhone in order to use things like Siri? Can a cellular watch access Siri via cell connection? I ask because Siri almost never works for me on my watch if I leave my phone upstairs. This happens even though my watch has a wifi connection.

If the phone is in range then it off loads a lot of the processing to the phone. If the phone is not in range Siri will work about 10% of the time (when connected to WiFi) on my S2.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are a ton of Couch to 5k apps available, what's the best one?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe worth a trip to the fruit stand for that. My S2 still gets at least 24 hours.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When my S2 didn't have a charger in the box they wanted me to return the whole thing rather than give me a charger off the shelf. I just emailed Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com), got a call from some concierge, and had a charger overnighted. If you have an issue with some arbitrary Apple Store rule this is the best course of action.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

In the workout app, the running distance is shown in blue during a workout now. I swear it used to be a different color and don’t know how I changed it. Am I losing my mind?

Try rolling the digital crown.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think it has something to do with your heart rate.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know about the Milanese but I bought a generic sports band and you can absolutely feel the difference.

Apple uses a very high quality silicone for the watch bands. The difference between them and randos on Amazon is night and day.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finally upgrading my aging S3. What are the chances I can get one at the fruit stand on 10/15? Is it like the phones where there is some in store inventory?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jabro posted:

You can still preorder for release day pickup so I say a pretty good chance.

Weird. It’s showing unavailable for pickup at every store within 60 miles of me (Connecticut). I will check throughout the week.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got my son an Apple Watch with cellular for his birthday, primarily to use so we can contact him when he's away from the house and see his location in the neighborhood. Family sharing is set up properly, his watch has location services and share my location turned on, and whether he is connected to the WiFi in our house or LTE all Find My says is "No Location Found".

Getting the same error while looking for him in Find My on iPhone, Mac, my own Apple Watch and iPad. Is there a fix for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dc3k posted:

is he actually sharing his location with you? having share my location on only enables the ability to share a location. you have to specifically share your location with someone after that's turned on. perhaps that's what you meant by "family sharing is set up properly" but just making sure (i've never used that feature since i dont have a family :lol:)

I figured this out and I am officially old.

I was tracking his location (which is tied to an old, long since dead iPhone) and not the Apple Watch.