Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife just got me an Apple Watch that has cellular. However, when I try to set it up, it says that it cannot log in (I can log into the app, no problem but when I tried to set up the Verizon shortcut, it would never recognize my info).
I then tried to register it and it gives me a “your number is invalid” message.
Any ideas on how to set it up or what could be causing it? (My wife’s phone is the main phone number for the account)
This is the first error message:

Second error message:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Awww, I just remembered the “buy an Apple device and get a year of AppleTV for free” promo and got happy.

Then I read that it does not cover the Apple Watch (boo!).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have had my Apple Watch 5 44mm for a week now and I love it. I just have a question:

The band that came with it is nice but it has already came unclasped twice while I was working at school. I am looking at a new band but I see so many with bumper cases for the watch.

Are bumper cases worth it or does it cause more problems? When I bought the watch, I bought a screen protector to go with it. Unfortunately, it caused interference with the top left of the screen (would not recognize my hitting the area). I returned it and instead got a Luiqipel screen protector which has been working great.

I don’t want to get a bumper case if it 1) is not really worth it or 2) if it is going to cause interference but I do not want to risk the watch if it is known to be fragile when it comes to the casing.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have only found it to allow one alarm. I have it set for a 5:30-5:45 wake up time frame and a regular alarm at 5:45

I am more surprised that the regular alarms on the watch do not allow you to repeat them. As a teacher, I use the alarms to remind me when to stop teaching and be ready to switch classes.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I activated my cellular a few weeks ago but today was the first time I truly tested it out. Drove to the store and decided that I would not bring my phone.

It was amazing that I could text my wife or call her (using my AirPods) without having the phone. Technology can be pretty cool.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I do not use too many shortcuts but this will be useful. I can have it set up a certain face when I get to school, one when the school day is over and one for when I sleep at night.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Are anyone else having issues with their battery draining? A week ago, I could use my watch regularly throughout the day (no always on, no cellular, just checking the time and the basic complications) and when I would go to charge it at 9pm, it would be around 50 percent used.

Last night, when I went to charge it, it was at 37%. Today, at 12:30, I am already down to 60%. Nothing else has changed but my battery is draining fast.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Mine comes and goes. Most days it works without issue, especially if I have went into the app on my phone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stand recognition is there solely to piss you off I think. I stand most of the day and I'm always struggling to close that ring. I haven't noticed it getting any worse than it's always been.

I will be up all day while teaching and as soon as I sit down, I get the “you have been sitting too much recently” message.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Time shared can hopefully fill your grief with happy memories.

Onto watch chat: with everyone talking about AOD, I decided to go all day with it. I never use AOD and my watch reminds me to charge at 9pm every night. Most nights and with normal use, it is at 55-60% left. Tonight, with AOD and normal use, I am at 35%.

Does 20% lowered battery make it worth it? I guess I will keep using it and trying it next week while teaching to see if it is more useful.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So weird. Even on my heavily documented lovely S5 I had, the AOD made a negligible amount of difference over the course of the day. Like maybe 2%, if that.

Hmmmm, well poo poo. I thought that 20% was a normal amount. I guess I was wrong.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I really like the fireworks I can do on my watch for New Years. My young daughters keep coming over and asking if they can watch it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I tried a case for my watch but it caused my watch to not recognize touches at the top of the screen. Instead, I got this stuff called Liquipel. It is awesome.

I have long gangly arms that have a tendency to hit things as I move around. My watch has hit into doors, cabinets, classroom desks, etc. No scratches at all.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/liquipel-liquid-screen-protector-for-glass-screen-smartwatches-transparent/6382334.p?skuId=6382334

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I used liquipel and it did awesome.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/liquipel-liquid-screen-protector-for-glass-screen-smartwatches-transparent/6382334.p?skuId=6382334

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone having battery issues with the Apple Watch? I have a series 6 and over the last two days, I am at 10% by 20 hours. Before the last two days, I was usually in the 30s by 22 hours.

I cannot figure anything has changed with my watch settings and the days before that we’re just like the last two days.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks, I will try that tonight and see if it helps out tomorrow.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I had posted the other day about my battery being under 10% after 20 hours (when it was normally around 30%) the days before.

Took the advice of a couple of posters and I rebooted my watch and the next day it was at 19% after 22 hours.

I decided to test it out with the always on display turned off. After 21 hours today, I am at 56%.

It is looking like I need to keep always on display turned off if I want to keep my watch lasting at least a day.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It just surprised me the difference between always on display and not. I would not have expected it to have that much of an effect on the battery life (especially when Apple specifically mentions that they set it up to “preserve battery life”)

Also, I may not be able to get home and charge it at a regular time. For example, if I had not rebooted my watch the night before, I may have had my watch die on me while I was at school working on sub plans last night.

Going from less than 10% to over 30% (or even in the 20s) before charging just gives a little more security in case I cannot make it home at a regular time.

Edit: As was mentioned above, I do sleep tracking so I charge it right before bed and wear it while I sleep (also, it is easier for me to wake up with my watch vibrating).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Violator posted:

That is a really nice feature and really the only reason I may try wearing it again over night in the future.

I wake up much easier. I use AutoSleep for my app (purchased it before Apple introduced their own sleep set up). I set my time that I want to wake up and for the 15 minutes before that, it does small vibrations every two minutes or so to wake me up at the time.

That is a much better way for me to wake up.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 20, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am a teacher so #MuteCrew from day one. In fact, I forgot what my ringtones are until I had my airpods in and got a call.

I missed a lot of things with my phone muted (and sitting on my desk) but my watch keeps me up to date really well.

I am waffling back and forth about doing the beta test for the watch so I can use the watch unlock for the phone. It would be extremely useful in the classroom but I am guessing that it will not be public until summer time.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am trying to go on more walks and the AirPods work great for this. However, I wish that Apple Watch allowed you to stream from more apps by themselves.

While I download a book in audible and podcasts in Overwatch, I would love to be able to stream SiriusXM or Amazon Music.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Please let Amazon music allow this!!! Keep competing with Spotify.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I got my watch last year and put a liquid screen protector on it (Liquipel). It has been awesome but it has apparently worn off. I have noticed some small scratches (only noticeable at certain angles). I am good right now but if I wanted to get those gone, is there a scratch filler that the thread has used?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I know that I have noticed an extra 10-15 percent daily drop on my battery since joining the beta. But I already do not use Always On Display because of previous issues where it drained it by an extra 30%.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do you do sleep tracking? If so, breathing rate enabled already, and is it useful?

I use AutoSleep to track my sleep. It does not have a breathing rate function.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Updated to OS8 and I noticed my battery dropped today more than usual. I know someone mentioned before checking to see if certain apps were hogging the system, is there a way to check that?

Also, I noticed these two symbols when I swipe up. If I click on them, I get this screen but I cannot do anything with it. Does this mean that my phone is constantly doing location checks?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My S5 I got back in June 2020 is at 91%

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have noticed that half of the time, I can no longer control music playback from my watch now. It shows that something is playing on my iPhone but when I click on that item to bring up the controls, nothing happens.

Also, I had to do two 45 minute presentations yesterday to other teachers (history presentation on sundown towns) and it registered the entire time of me walking around the room as exercise. Apparently, my heart rate was high enough that it saw it as exercise (most days at school, it does not).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Amazon Music can now be streamed directly from the Apple Watch.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I got my Covid booster shot yesterday (Moderna) because I am a teacher (39 year old male). Today I felt tired and ended up taking a 3 hour nap. When I got up, I was eating and for the first time ever, my Apple Watch alerted me that I had an elevated heart rate while it looked like I was resting.

It said I was over 120 bpm. I have ran the heart rate check up and they all have been 130 or higher. Just now, while sitting on the couch, it had me at 120 bpm and “inconclusive”. Other than that, I feel fine (just tired).

I found an article that increased heart rate is somewhat normal (peaks around 2 days and is done by 6 days) so I guess I will just keep an eye on this for the next several days.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33972954/

Without my Apple Watch though, I would not have even known that this was happening.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

After looking around, my wife and I are looking at getting our daughters (9 & 11) apple watches (SE).

We thought about getting our 11 year old a phone but she really only needs something to be able to message us or call us.

I saw that if you buy an SE with cellular through apple, you can get a $100 Verizon gift card. I was wondering if those promos work in store or only online. I was also wondering if that would get us 2 gift cards for 2 watches or if it is only 1 and done.

Also, are there specific bands for kids that are recommended?

Edit: We are also using this as a test run for my 11 year old getting a phone. If she can take care of this for a couple of years, then she could be ready for a phone.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 10, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, they just introduced it. We were looking at an phone for the 11 year old but that would be $55 more a month for her being added to our plan.

I then read about family set up which means that we could get them both watches and they would be able to message us. It would only add $20 our monthly bill.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Just saw this, just general fyi , it’s the watches however via apple , then the promo is online or over the phone with Verizon.

It’s $5-10 a month per Watch depending on your plan. The $100 is per watch activated. Setup fee is $35 per.

If you need help activating them , PM me.

Thanks! My wife was looking and she saw that through Verizon, they have a “Buy one and get the 2nd one for $250 off” which would be a better deal.

1) Do you know when that deal ends?

2) Would your referral link from the 13pro deal work with that as well?

3) The $250 off comes with “adding an additional line”. Activating the watch would count as that additional line, correct?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 12, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It is like the preprogrammed buttons on a roku remote. No, I do not have Sling but if I accidentally sit on the remote, that is where my tv is going.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I use my Apple Watch as a fitness tracker and my indoor fitness activity is Supernatural VR.

My watch helps provide my heart rate to the set up. It works pretty well. The only issue I have had is that as soon as I turn on the Supernatural app to track my heart rate, it counts everything as exercise. One time I started the tracking but my daughter needed help with her homework. 45 mins later, I come back to work out and I have 45 minutes of exercise done.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I do not use Spotify but I am liking Amazon music on my watch. I just wish that they allowed you to download a playlist because our cell service sucks in this area.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone ever go camping with their Apple Watch? If so, what do you do(besides using a battery pack) to help conserve battery power on your watch while camping? My daughter’s scout troop is about to go on their first camp out (Friday night through Sunday morning) and if she can get through the weekend with just a single charge, that would be awesome.

Also, any recommendations for hiking or camping apps for the watch?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks for the info.

I will make sure that she has a battery pack and her charger.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

She has an SE which usually does well (only down to 50%) but over the last couple of weeks, she has been down to 10% when we charge it at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My daughters like Coloring Watch. They body use it to help calm down.

Other than that, they love the walk-in talkie feature.

I am able to do this and they think I am hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbohoPItpqs