Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

buglord posted:

Dissenting opinion but for some reason the Nike Sports band got insanely uncomfortable and sticky compared to the bog standard silicon band. Maybe it was a defect or something but I dunno.

420 buy Milanese knockoff loops and laugh at the genuine buyers everyday

It’s the same thing that can happen to the other sport bands, or silicone too; I recently increased the amount of exercise from 30 Minutes a day to about 2 hours, and I always wear this same Nike band and the smooth coating is wearing off to expose a "sticky" feeling bit, especially where the band loops under and probably rubs the most. Same thing happened to the silicone case I usually have on the phone when I’m working out.

Bands I don’t work out in feel good, now paranoid about my Not Shiny but new silicone phone case and want a case for my case.

Think I’ll just let that wear down instead of worrying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I never had that issue with my OG sports band even after two years of wearing it.

My old 2015 sport band is wearing at the “loop under" bit, and the Nike is even looking discoloured or a bit green here:

Almost like there’s a Dark green under that grey. It was "fine" when I didn’t work out as much, but YMMV depending on movement or maybe even climate. I can’t wear the normal sport style without getting extremely sweaty and gross, need that breathable band in Australia.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

Apparently the series 2 won't pair w/ a 5/5c, though it did last year when the series 2 launched?

I guess it’s cause watchOS 4 needs iOS 11, Which won’t run on 32 bit hardware

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
If you want the watch protected from gym weights and other similar things; search amazon for “Apple Watch bicep” or armband… a friend uses this and apparently gets even better heart rate measurements than at their wrist. There’s even one that looks like a very long Nike strap from Tefeca that looks like it won’t get too gross.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Can’t stand the weird service on the watches, it feels like it’s not an apple product. Never had a good Genius Bar experience with any watch or store.. now only going to the AASP instead; they don’t have the same sort of weird disconnect and treat it as any other apple product.

So bizarre when a third party does better than apple themselves but seems to be the New Normal in Australia at least...

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
This was kind of acceptable during the launch of the very first model and the expensive gold ones.. not now though, and if someone has a smashed screen or whatever it is not possible to repair. Apple/care have added or kept an unneeded step or delay to the process which infuriates most people..

I could find the emails my father in law sent to all the apple people he could find; as he’s not used to this sort of service (especially from apple) and is *quite the entitled generation * if you understand my hints, he apparently had quite a tantrum at the Genius Bar when they would not swap his smashed watch quite recently.

They need to make it more of an apple product now or something as it is causing people to not buy it, or abuse the 14 day return window instead of using Normal apple care. Another person here got about 8 s4 watches returned until they got one with a good screen. That’s bad!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Can confirm it's fully functional and insane. Here's to future days.

lol just realised I know them, slightly mentored! And can confirm they are talented for sure.

Though they’re using some framework everyone hates it’s still working. Well enough!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Still, this is the best watch and a good Wikipedia app

Works without phone, and finds nearby POI too if you’re not searching...

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/v-for-wikipedia/id993435362?mt=8

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
I am going to see if it is possible for him to make a Discord rich notifications reply app because I’m sick of having to grab a phone or something and it would be very handy make it how slack does it.

Independent of the phone ideally but their API and stuff is developer / user hostile. :(

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Zero One posted:

You've got the Apple monkey paw!

Announcing the Watch5! With no crown or buttons! All features controlled by FaceID! Just roll your eyes to scroll!

Shh my uncle at Nintendo tells me

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/rainbrow/id1312458558?mt=8 this guy will be in control of the new watch!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The nike style silicone band with all the holes is great for summer heat. Breathes better than solid silicone and doesn't absorb sweat like sport loop.

Think I have around 5~ bands or so, the only bands I can ever wear are these Nike ones; living in a hot and humid climate ...

Went to a wedding in a far colder state and was able to wear Leather! Was glad to return the classic buckle in time so it was effectively free though.

Apple should probably adjust the range for the climate or I’m just a very sweaty person.. the Sport Loop is extremely comfortable, but not for a humid or sweaty workout.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wish I could delete the dumbass Breathe app.

It has one real handy feature, getting your baseline or HRV if you’re using the autosleep app; though most of the time I don’t feel or want to do it as I wake it’s a good way for the heart monitor to do some sort of magic...

Doing one minute of breathe as soon as you’re getting up out of bed sets it well

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Yeah it does but getting a reading on when you wake up is ideal.

Somehow using breathe on waking up (whether you’re using AutoSleep or not) sends that to Health.app

Apparently if you get a good rating you can push yourself a lot harder at the gym or other exercise and get good results I find with just basic aerobic training I do burn a lot more calories when my whatever it’s called value is good.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Hard to say what’s going on, but for me my heart rate goes down into the 40’s when sleeping so having a resting rate set this low is either accurate or better than the usual 50-60 it determines from walking around

OTOH, I don’t really appreciate doing Breathe first thing either so I barely use this feature either.

I have observed clearer or smoother curves on heart rate if I do manage to breathe on wake up and then work out later on, especially cardio exercising. So it could be a bit of both; good for you and better calibration for the biorhythms or measurements, who knows but results wise you can see it quite clear.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Apparently the developer is able to push themselves a little harder when this “Readiness” figure is high. Right now for me it’s low, I’m trying to shake off a virus and not getting out of bed easily. Readiness score is low; once I feel a bit more well I’d expect it to be higher too

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Lol I have a very strange one but it is on beta, so I’m not too surprised or anything
Every time I go to wash my hands in my kitchen sink, it’s hearing “hey Siri” from the noise of the water or the sink, not sure which but it is bizarre. Not triggering the Raise to Speak, actually hearing those words.

Haunted pipes/tap or beta bug?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does the beta have the new watchfaces? I'd like some new watchfaces.

On the series 4 a bunch of cool ones, new complications as well.. built in Loudness warning which is pretty nice.
I love this new Solar one and another infographic thing which utilises the larger screen quite well.

S3 and under gets about 3 or so, no loudness app either.

;__… the clown has left my pipes since the latest beta update. I miss you, ghost clown.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’m not on beta how do I meet the ghost clown

Well.. if I don’t report it, and you are cooking chicken you’ll get to meet him!

(I was just grilling up some nice chicken on a pan; white noise from the Range Hood is now triggering Hey Siri..)

Or the ghost-clown got cold in the water pipes and has now moved into the nice warm spot above the stove. Either is equally possible!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
If the s3 hasn’t been charged much it probably has quite an aged battery too.

The 4 has a lot more faces now on watchOS 6, the noise warning app, and aFib detection if you’re lucky enough to have fast moving medical device approvals...

At this point I’d say definitely wait until (assume) September 10th or so before committing to anything; and you might see some fire sales of the 3 and 4 from stores around the place too.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is anyone running the iOS 13.1 beta AND the WatchOS 6 beta? Are you getting the drain issue that others are reporting if they're running iOS 13.1 and WatchOS 5?

Only issue with this combination is “the ghost clown” or Siri activating from white or pink noise. Weirdest part is only in my kitchen; nowhere else.

Cooking or running water tricks the device but no noticeable difference in battery or back to non-beta performance. Still, if you have waited this long I’d wait another few weeks for the final public full versions.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

These new two-color loops are dope and I’m gonna spend money I don’t need to spend.

Oo I *like* these.. was using different nylon bands before they did the loop, similar effect.

drat I’m tempted to spend some money too now.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Guarantee that Apple is going to restrict that to the 5 because reasons.

during the beta the noise app was only on 4, not series 3..

In the past they’ve had features (swimming workout for example) on the s0, during beta season but once the s2 came out the function went away.

Would not be shocked if it’s 5-only but I highly doubt it will get onto the series 3..

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Nothing useful; I am hopeful the next watchOS let’s developers do more on it.

I only have 4-5 apps on mine, and barely use those ones too. Apple has not allowed developers to use the best API’s on the watch which means a lot of apps are not Great. Or possible...

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

obi_ant posted:

For some reason I have a 38mm stainless steel Milanese Loop; unfortunately I have a 44mm Series 4.

I do not wish to pay $99 for a Milanese Loop. How do you guys feel about the bootleg Milanese Loops on Amazon. Anyone better than another? Also, are the sport loops washable?

I’ve seen people cut (impressive work with some sort of metal grinder) down the 44mm band lugs to fit the 38/40 size, and people using the smaller bands in the larger chassis. It’s not ideal but it fits..

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Anyone ever work out with the official Milanese ban? Is it as bad an idea as I think?

It really depends on the weather and how much you sweat

I wouldn’t advise it I’ve ruined the lug-connector by putting too much strain maybe doing push-ups or something I don’t know on the s0 version.

Apple was nice enough to give me a new one since they deemed it ‘their fault’ and it’s sat in a box ever since. I don’t go to fancy events enough!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

peanut- posted:

Anyone else having GPS accuracy issues with OS6? I've done four 10k runs since upgrading and all of them have lost about half a KM of distance and the route accuracy on the map is just garbage. Had no issues at all on OS5.

I changed from an SE to an 11 Pro at the same time so I guess it could be phone related, but I run with my phone in a belt where it can't see the sky.

During the watchOS beta I noticed a lot of weird GPS behaviour, I hope they didn’t bring it out to the final.. was sometimes over counting and then also randomly not able to tell Pace.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Man, I've been working from home all this week, hardly any activity, and my Series 5 still loving dies at 9-10pm.
Not that I can really bring it in right now anyway, but I already did and they sent it back saying it passed diagnostics. It's probably a waste trying to send it back again, but man does this piss me off.

Mine is real irregular too; some days it’s dying by 8pm and others it will make it through til 1am or later...

Same sized s3 or s4 would nearly get through 2 days without much trouble, and the same basic usage. Then I hear other people saying they get 2+ days out of theirs with even more use.

Not sure if I have a bad battery or something else but when it comes to AppleCare and the watch it’s never been a great experience here in Australia

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Fairly early; I think I ordered the Nike version and got it pretty much as early as possible.. they came out around a few weeks after the normal s5 models; before this model I didn’t even need to check the battery level on the watch at all or have any concerns about it lasting..

Done a few pair - repair to make sure it’s not a weird synch issue with the phone, got rid of nearly all third party apps in case it’s one of those but nothing seems to help on the software end. Starting to think it’s the battery for sure or something related to it

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
They do log it, and the UI loading too.. I’ve had one bad watch fixed after having them diagnose it over the phone and the Support person even sounded a bit. Freaked out about it

“I. Don’t know how the watch is working at all, it should not be; it has too many crashes to even begin” sort of talk

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Big Taint posted:

I just clicked a link in this thread from somebody saying “I ordered from these guys and they were good” but that’s probably 20 pages ago now...

A heap of these will change in that time frame ; I have not found any consistent lugs in third party bands myself... some **very** nice bands but the sticker is the quite important part of Not falling off, or even worse warping or bending the watch chassis or body. There’s two areas which are incredibly thin on the bottom and top edges of the watch and if you use a non OEM or lug which is too thick; you might end up damaging the watch permanently..

I had some real nice leather bands from e3 motorcycles NYC; but same issue as the other third parties. Nobody seems to be able to get the lug parts to match Apple; especially when they are made of steel.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I used to wear my watch on my left-hand as a left hander because I hated using a mouse with my watch on. Now that I exclusively use a trackpad, I'm glad I can wear it on my right wrist.

I'm also in the "Wear your watch without a screen protector, get Applecare+, and if in 2 years your display is dinged to hell and you want a new one, just go swap it out for $69" camp. I definitely wish there were more arm bands for the Series 5 - even with a screen protector, I don't trust myself to not destroy it when I'm swinging a kettlebell around.

After enduring a *lot* of mocking for their horrible watch cases and protectors; a dude I speak to occasionally had found a bicep or band designed to put the watch far higher up your arm or even around your leg if you want ; perfect for the gym and other activities where you are likely going to damage your watch or something..
They are on amazon and if you can’t find them I can ask which ones are best; they look similar to those Phone straps for jogging but are a bit more compact for the watch...

They still can’t seem to figure out which way to put the normal style Bands on correctly but so far so good. Isshhh.. I’d link their twitter here or if I can make some of their best mixups anonymous I’ll post them here. You would think they are trolling or something but no they just cannot seem to work out up-down-left-right. I still have doubts they know how to put on shoes without trial and error or some sort of label. :(

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I used to do AASP stuff and repairs for other OEMs. The procedures for handling, installing, returning batteries, swollen or not) is crazy because of the risk.

Yup ; and was it Dell, Samsung or HP who nearly managed to get all lithium devices banned on passenger aircraft a way back; to the point where the UN? Or some subdivision needed to quickly make it a nightmare to send your mate in another city or country any sort of second hand device..

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
The gentleman’s method is pretty basic and guarantees SUCCESS.. and rage / questions...

Every day at about 10pm-12am force press Activity app on your watch. Set the target to about 5 calories or KJ... wait a few minutes then set it back to your normal target. Will drive away friends, family and anyone else who foolishly tries to beat your amazing point target.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

Henrik’s watch has been super hosed from the start sadly. I’ve had mine since launch and it’s been fine. Usually about 36 hours total.

Right before bed I’m usually at around 45% if I worked out that day. If I didn’t workout, usually 55-60%.

E: to be clear - I don’t think this is Henrik’s fault. Just clarifying that his experience with the 5 has been poor. Mine has been great.

Mine is similar but a little better. Unpredictable though.
Some days it’s dying at 6-8pm others it can make through til quite late; after midnight or more ;; I think I just got a bad battery cause there’s no way to get it regular.

I’ve tested it vs a s4 with way older battery, nothing seems to help it; I think they just have a lot of s5 out there with cooked batteries.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I am honestly confused at how people are bothered that they have to charge their Apple Watch everyday when they have to do the same with multiple other electronic devices.

Around dinner time

I don’t mind charging it daily ; just the random nature of it..

Think the most annoying one was during a 90 minute workout one afternoon I had the thing die or force Low Power Mode .. which cut off my music or whatever I was listening to..

I’m messing with the beta right now and the older s4 on the 7 beta has used 2% since 10am ; the newer s5 has used 18% in the same time, on the latest watchOS final stable version. That is weird...

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
https://daringfireball.net/2020/09/more_adventures_in_solo_loop_sizing Jonny Fireball’s got some good sport band to solo loop size charts here

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

jink posted:

Wait ... you mean this release has problems?

But they gave ample time to discover those bugs, iterate with developer feedback and provide ample betas with time for developers to prepare.

Oh wait. That wasn’t Apple at all this time around.

Weird; cause before June i did not know how to wash my hands, and thanks to the watchOS beta now i use less water and keep my hands so clean the Rona is almost clear out of this state :-)

(Semi serious as i used to not rinse the soap off enough; my hands have never felt so clean and not dry even if i need to wash them a heap from exposure to outside ⓔⓣⓒ

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

jink posted:

I am laughing at the hand washing graphs; of course Health would chart that!

I made a little shortcut called “you disgust me” ; runs at about sundown and checks hand washing and tooth brushing data. Unfortunately at this point you cant access that from the Shortcuts app but soon I’m going to solve world hygiene with a few lines of .. pre packaged code chunks

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

jink posted:

Hahaha. How are you getting tooth brushing data? An IoT brush?

Nothing quite that high tech - just have a 2 minute timer on my Braun thingy ; and I’d be entering that manually or with another shortcut if i ever figure out this health data. Its not so important that i have dedicated more than 2-5 mins but i might even have another try now iOS and all is final 14.whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
You might be able to do it with Autosleep ; thats a fairly great statistical and sleep tracking app but I’m not sure if the s0 can pair with later versions of iOS if that is an issue