Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

XBenedict posted:

The new Sleep app is a pretty good implementation of Sleep Cycle, but it's useless with a watch since you lose the audible alarm on your phone. Who thought that not even being an option was a good idea? I have to choose between sleep tracking and actually waking up?
I haven’t been using the alarms through Sleep, but if you set a normal alarm on your phone it’ll still make noise if you’re sleep tracking with no Sleep-specific alarm. If you’re looking for a work-around, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've never had an issue with the haptic alarm waking me up.

Same but not having the option for an alarm is stupid. There is no reason for it. If my gf used tracking there would be no way in hell she would wake up from the watch haptics.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For some reason my phone and watch alarms went off this morning. I did change my wake up time last night but I'm not sure if that is the reason.

On another note I finally got my first VO2 reading in months this past Saturday. It took a slow 90 minute walk with my 70 year old mother to register something. :iiam:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
AutoSleep is king

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone know how to stop zombie meeting change notifications? I have my work Exchange account linked to my iPhone calendar to give me notifications on my watch. A couple of meetings have had the details change and I’ve accepted those but they keep notifying me at least once a day. I’ve had it happen before but I can’t remember how I fixed it.

I’ve tried to the reset button but that didn’t seem to work.

Sorry to quote my own post. Any ideas on this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Still no workout location tracking on iOS 14.1, I paired a brand new watch to my phone this week and it's only recording the place the workout starts

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Are anyone else having issues with their battery draining? A week ago, I could use my watch regularly throughout the day (no always on, no cellular, just checking the time and the basic complications) and when I would go to charge it at 9pm, it would be around 50 percent used.

Last night, when I went to charge it, it was at 37%. Today, at 12:30, I am already down to 60%. Nothing else has changed but my battery is draining fast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Are anyone else having issues with their battery draining? A week ago, I could use my watch regularly throughout the day (no always on, no cellular, just checking the time and the basic complications) and when I would go to charge it at 9pm, it would be around 50 percent used.

Last night, when I went to charge it, it was at 37%. Today, at 12:30, I am already down to 60%. Nothing else has changed but my battery is draining fast.

Yeah I have noticed that too, I have a series 4 and now I am always getting reminders to charge it before going to bed @11 because it is dipping into the low 20s. Before it would always be 50plus.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It seems there's a bug in the Health app that could be causing this. I've just been googling around because my wife's phone is reporting Health taking up 57 petabytes of data, which is why she can't back up or transfer her poo poo to a new phone. It sounds like this may be related to battery issues?

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/ixqu0n/ios_14_significant_battery_drain_from_health_app/

Super loving annoying.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It seems there's a bug in the Health app that could be causing this. I've just been googling around because my wife's phone is reporting Health taking up 57 petabytes of data, which is why she can't back up or transfer her poo poo to a new phone. It sounds like this may be related to battery issues?

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/ixqu0n/ios_14_significant_battery_drain_from_health_app/

Super loving annoying.

It almost certainly is, and it is enraging.

Workouts haven’t synced for me in over a month, and my health kit data is corrupted now.

Apple don’t know if they can fix it, or if I’ve lost all maps data for every workout I’ve done for... 5 years.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeast posted:

Apple don’t know if they can fix it, or if I’ve lost all maps data for every workout I’ve done for... 5 years.

I had missing map workout data when I updated to iOS14 I think it was. I followed Apple’s instructions for wiping the watch and phone and that fixed it. I assumed I was just missing map data for the week or so between the update and fixing it and that data was lost because it recorded it wrong. But I now realize I’m missing all map data from all of my workouts ever. LOL like five years of map data is just gone. I guess it doesn’t really matter because I rarely looked at it but drat I hate losing data.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Wow, gently caress you Apple.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Violator posted:

I had missing map workout data when I updated to iOS14 I think it was. I followed Apple’s instructions for wiping the watch and phone and that fixed it. I assumed I was just missing map data for the week or so between the update and fixing it and that data was lost because it recorded it wrong. But I now realize I’m missing all map data from all of my workouts ever. LOL like five years of map data is just gone. I guess it doesn’t really matter because I rarely looked at it but drat I hate losing data.

This was exactly my experience and I assumed the same. But checking, yeah all maps workout data is gone back to December last year when I got the watch...

Thankfully third party stuff (which I care about more) seems OK.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey real cool Apple, not like I occasionally looked back on fun hikes I went on with my wife and dog during special trips; it’s really no problem that you can’t do even the most elementary QC on your flagship products’ software updates.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Wait ... you mean this release has problems?

But they gave ample time to discover those bugs, iterate with developer feedback and provide ample betas with time for developers to prepare.

Oh wait. That wasn’t Apple at all this time around.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

jink posted:

But they gave ample time to discover those bugs, iterate with developer feedback and provide ample betas with time for developers to prepare.

I'm no fan of WatchOS 7, but this actually was the first year that a public watchOS beta was available in addition to the developer track.

It's just lovely software.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Glad I’m not the only one whose health data is measured in petabytes! I’m at 56 PB myself.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm no fan of WatchOS 7, but this actually was the first year that a public watchOS beta was available in addition to the developer track.

It's just lovely software.

Fair. iOS was a shitshow.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

jink posted:

Weird; cause before June i did not know how to wash my hands, and thanks to the watchOS beta now i use less water and keep my hands so clean the Rona is almost clear out of this state :-)

(Semi serious as i used to not rinse the soap off enough; my hands have never felt so clean and not dry even if i need to wash them a heap from exposure to outside ⓔⓣⓒ

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Is it possible to use an Apple Watch without location services enabled at all? I want to get into collecting the health data but I swore off location data after that NY Times series a few years ago.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

fivehead posted:

Is it possible to use an Apple Watch without location services enabled at all? I want to get into collecting the health data but I swore off location data after that NY Times series a few years ago.

I doubt it. It leverages your phones location constantly.

You’d probably be better off with a Garmin or Fitbit. Garmin only uses GPS during commanded activities (like runs or bike rides). Even then, you can still record said activities without GPS (using the built in accelerometer for runs or speed sensors for biking).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fivehead posted:

If it’s the same article I’m thinking of, IIRC the data was leaked from weather services. None of the Apple services should leak or sell data like that, but Apple uses weather.com or something for weather info and they sell it all.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

stirlo posted:

Weird; cause before June i did not know how to wash my hands, and thanks to the watchOS beta now i use less water and keep my hands so clean the Rona is almost clear out of this state :-)

(Semi serious as i used to not rinse the soap off enough; my hands have never felt so clean and not dry even if i need to wash them a heap from exposure to outside ⓔⓣⓒ

I hear the little chime from across the house when my SO washes her hands. "Achievement unlocked!", haha

I am laughing at the hand washing graphs; of course Health would chart that!

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

jink posted:

I am laughing at the hand washing graphs; of course Health would chart that!

I made a little shortcut called “you disgust me” ; runs at about sundown and checks hand washing and tooth brushing data. Unfortunately at this point you cant access that from the Shortcuts app but soon I’m going to solve world hygiene with a few lines of .. pre packaged code chunks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All my workouts for the last three years are missing location data now
:shrek:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I've been considering swapping my 3 series for an SE and using the $80 trade-in value... The 3 is 'fine' but it is a bit laggy and has to use smaller complications. I also use it for intense activities such as sleeping or working on the card/yard.

Has anyone made the jump from 3 -> SE? Was it worth the $220?

(I already have a Series 5, so I have the 'good stuff' the SE is missing)

stirlo posted:

I made a little shortcut called “you disgust me” ; runs at about sundown and checks hand washing and tooth brushing data. Unfortunately at this point you cant access that from the Shortcuts app but soon I’m going to solve world hygiene with a few lines of .. pre packaged code chunks

Hahaha. How are you getting tooth brushing data? An IoT brush?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

jink posted:

(I already have a Series 5, so I have the 'good stuff' the SE is missing)

Why would you own two Apple watches?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I went from a 3 to an SE and am incredibly happy with it. My 3 was fine but having a larger screen is nice and I’m probably going to get a few more years out of this SE so I’ll see what the 8 has to offer.

Nothing really made me jump at getting the 6 and the SE is a great stop gap till a feature I really want comes out.

The SE is much snappier too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

quote:

I also use it for intense activities such as sleeping or working on the card/yard.
:shrug:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

:hmmyes:

Bob A Feet posted:

Battery life is poo poo on the 5, I swap it out with the spare. The 3 does fantastic sleep tracking with Autosleep and has held up well with car work and yard work... I don't want to bust up the 5 doing those activities (I finally got a SS after getting a nice career 'jump').

How did I get two watches? I didn't trade in the 3 when I got the 5...

MarcusSA posted:

I went from a 3 to an SE and am incredibly happy with it. My 3 was fine but having a larger screen is nice and I’m probably going to get a few more years out of this SE so I’ll see what the 8 has to offer.

Nothing really made me jump at getting the 6 and the SE is a great stop gap till a feature I really want comes out.

The SE is much snappier too.

Ah, I feel the same way about the 3... it's fine. Apple is offering $80 trade-in right now and that won't last much longer, so the debate has been "is it worth that $80 savings to make the jump?".

Larger screen is nice, tactile crown, brand new battery... but it's pretty much a 4 without EKG, right?

I'm holding with my 5 until the 7 or 8, if I can. The AOD eats batteries like crazy and will not do a full 24 hr day without complaining fiercely.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If I hadn’t gotten $95 to trade my 3 in I wouldn’t have done it. If I had waited for say the 7 my 3 would be nearly worthless and end up in a drawer.

I’m quite sure when I’m ready to upgrade I’ll get a decent amount for this SE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Will the Series 3 work with the upcoming Fitness+ work outs ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Will the Series 3 work with the upcoming Fitness+ work outs ?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Can I use an old series 0 for sleep tracking functions? I have one since it was too old for trading in and just thought hey that might be a good use for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nice I’ll take it.

Depending on how the Fitness+ works , I’ll considering finding a deal on a S5 and keeping the S3 for my wife to use for the Fitness+.

Neither of us work out or go to the gym (we did years ago), so if this is enough to get us in light shape I would be for it.

My wife has never liked wearing an Apple Watch, but I wouldn’t care that much on keeping one on a charger just for her to potentially do work outs (since it’s not a large trade in anyway).

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

jink posted:

Hahaha. How are you getting tooth brushing data? An IoT brush?

Nothing quite that high tech - just have a 2 minute timer on my Braun thingy ; and I’d be entering that manually or with another shortcut if i ever figure out this health data. Its not so important that i have dedicated more than 2-5 mins but i might even have another try now iOS and all is final 14.whatever

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

priznat posted:

Can I use an old series 0 for sleep tracking functions? I have one since it was too old for trading in and just thought hey that might be a good use for it.

Nah, requires watchOS 7

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
You might be able to do it with Autosleep ; thats a fairly great statistical and sleep tracking app but I’m not sure if the s0 can pair with later versions of iOS if that is an issue

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

All my workouts for the last three years are missing location data now
:shrek:

I’m sorry that really sucks and I hope you can fix it.

To avoid this from happening the future download HealthFit. It runs seamlessly in the background (on the phone) and will auto export everything to your choice of cloud providers. I just completed a run and I just got a notification from HealthFit saying it’s been exported to 6/6 of my backup places (GPS/GPX data to iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Strava; and metrics data to Google Sheets). I can view the GPX files in any of those cloud drive and I’m pretty confident I won’t ever lose that data.

E: For other people who are already using HealthFit you might want to open the app again and check that health permissions and auto exporting is turned on. Because of QoP’s post I checked my iCloud Drive and noticed my last GPX data was July. Opened HealthFit and it prompted me for health data access and the auto syncing was disabled. Not sure what happened there but I’m assuming it’s cause I updated iOS versions?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

I keep my older one around (currently S3) with a case for sports stuff where it might get trashed.

Course it's semi bricked right now after trying to update to OS 7. Wasn't enough space to update, so just reset it and when trying to pair and update the phone app gives the ol "update failed because you are not connected to internet" error. I'll try again when I update to 14.2 I guess.