Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Are the chargers on amazon ok to use or should I need to stick with Apple/Anker like the phone cables?

Also, any cool recommended, cheap-ish docks for nighttime charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

birds posted:

Which watch face do y'all use? I'm using the Siri one and it's just "ok". It'd be better if it could connect to ESPN, Dark Sky, things like that.

Utility, with weather and battery in upper corners, date on watch face, and calendar on bottom.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How do I get my watch to stop showing playback controls when I watch a video on my phone?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After the first day or two of having the watch, my notification Haptics have stopped working. I get the screen notification but it doesn’t buzz. I have Haptics turned on, max intensity, and it’s not silenced. Am I missing a non-obvious setting or something? A reboot didn’t fix it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A reboot of my phone fixed it. Weird. 11.2 beta so :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

is anyone else using Dark Sky and finding the complication on Watch OS 4 just says "Dark Sky" instead of the actual weather?

Just bought the app a couple days ago and I had that happen yesterday. Opening the app on my phone fixed it.

I'm also seeing an issue where it says "rain soon" on the watch complication, but when you tap on it, there's no indication that rain is coming. It doesn't give the time bar graph of the rain %. For as much as everyone raves about this app, I'm actually kind of disappointed :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

ATT for the Apple Watch are loving garbage. 60$ in activation fees and surcharges. I'm loving done with them and switching over to Tmobile.

Activation should have been free, right? It was for me, at least. May want to call them, especially if you're on a corporate discount.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Not on a corporate discount, called, got hung up on, called again, denied. I just said gently caress it and switched to Tmobile and I didn't activate the watch. I don't think I used cellular more than once or twice the whole time and this is saving me money. I've been with them for 10 years and I've never been this pissed.

That seems odd. Maybe it's my corporate discount that gets free activation on the watch. That sucks.

On another tangent, I'm having an issue with starting a working on the Strong app in my phone, but the watch not recognizing it was started, and starts a fresh new workout on the watch. Vice versa as well. If I start a workout on the watch, the phone app won't see it as started as well.

This led to me getting workout data on my phone, but it has no heart beat data, despite the data being on the watch. It's not syncing between the 2 for some reason.

It had been working last week, but ATT had me re-pair my watch since I was having cellular activation issues. Could it be related to that? I keep getting messages on the watch saying my routines are updated, but it can't see my session in progress from the phone, nor get a rest timer screen on the watch.

e: I did do the "reset apple watch" thing in the Strong settings.

e2: Blah, re-installing the watch app made it work again.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 13, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just for shits and giggles, I put the Dark Sky complication in the upper corner, and along the bottom. Both of them are telling me different temperatures. What the hell? Also, why does it take 10 seconds to get my forecast when I tap on the complication? If background refresh is on (which it is for complications), shouldn't it have the temp already?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

Because the Dark Sky watchOS app is hot garbage?

Seriously - use Carrot Weather. You’ll be way happier.

It looks like carrot uses the dark sky data. And also on top of the $5 for the app, you have to buy “premium” for the watch alerts. Ehhhhh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that’s true. I was most balking at having to pay extra for watch notifications. I can’t find where it shows the IAP prices in this new and improved AppStore.

e: nm found the IAP. Is it a one time purchase or lame subscription?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 18, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

It will go away after a while? What does that mean?

Have you seen Terminator 2?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

My watch has been on silent since day-one. Haptic only forever.

Same. How people live with their watch dinging notifications all day baffles me.

My phone has been on mute since day 1 of the iPhone 3G. Not even sure which ringer I have anymore.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just stuck with Dark Sky, despite the notifications only coming through like 10% of the time. Didn’t really like the snarky weather blurbs of Carrot Weather not the stupid subscription service for notifications

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there any way to lock the screen? I've been doing a generic HIIT workout in the Workouts app when I play hockey, and half the time, the workout gets ended randomly, by I guess a ton of sweat and moving my wrist around a lot or whatever during the game. It's kinda lame to look down and see that it stopped 15 mins ago.

I tried theater mode, but any button seems to activate the screen. Anything else I can try?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh neat, thanks!

On a side note, it's pretty funny to see the exercise ring spin around a ton after I get done playing for an hour and a half.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

4.2 is out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just used my S3 LTE on a run for the first time. Absolutely love only needing to bring my headphones and watch instead of lugging my massive phone around with me.

Couple questions regarding the Strava watch app though. It seems broken as hell.
- It kept auto-pausing and resuming on the first quarter-mile of my run or so. I assume this is because the GPS was trying to get a lock after it disconnected from my phone? Also, after a few miles, it would just straight-up not auto-pause when I stopped to wait for a traffic light.
- I tried swiping to a different screen mid-run, and it auto-paused. Is this really how it's designed to work? If I touch the watch, it auto-pauses? I was hoping it would just auto-pause if I'm stopped.
- After the first mile, it stopped giving me auto-cues about my distance and split time. It worked fine after mile 1, but I never got any subsequent audio queues.
- The run isn't showing up in the Activity app as a workout at the bottom, like it would for Strong (strength workout) or anything started in the Workouts app.

Anyone else seeing these issues with Strava? Is it just a piece of poo poo app?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 8, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can easily have segments on runs. There's a billion of them in my town for Garmin. I don't really care too much about segments, but anyway...

It sounds like the standalone Watch app is just garbage.

I was hoping to use Strava, since that's what most of my friends use. I can just try RunKeeper next time to see if it's less garbage and use Taparik to sync them. Kind of annoying to have an extra step to sync, but whatever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I totally forgot about Nike+. I’ll give them a shot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Depends how much you value a faster CPU. I have a S3 and love it, but this was my first AW.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don’t really like navigation on my watch. I’d rather glance over at my phone in its mount for a second than try to focus on a tiny screen on my wrist. It’s less time I have to take my eyes off the road. I also drive a stick shift, so raising my wrist takes my hand off the shifter. The buzzes in the watch are fine though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The LTE owns for running and not bringing a bigass phone with me, but yeah $10/month is silly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You don't have to activate the LTE.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Probably but it's not that much money and I am full of dread and anxiety when I don't have access to my cell phone so I feel like it's going to be the kind of thing that seems like a total waste of money 99% of the time and then 1% of the time I will be very glad I have it.

Am I terrible for agreeing with this?

I think $10/month is highway robbery for using data I’ve already paid for. But I got the LTE version. I don’t use LTE 95% of the time since I have my phone with me, but for the 5% I don’t (outside, on a run, whatever), it makes me feel like it’s kind of worth it. It’s still a ripoff though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mattfl posted:

Also I received my knockoff nylon sport loop and holy cow these things are awesome. Very soft and comfortable you can barely tell the watch is there.

This is the brand I got -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VKCD7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow that’s a lot of sport loop colors. Nice! I don’t like how the Apple black is like a little black with a bunch of random colors sprinkled in, so I went with the olive when I bought the watch. It’s cool, but having a real black sport loop would be rad. Thanks!

e: on closer inspection, it does look like the black is the exact same thing as the Apple one. Bummer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I did my first swimming workout when I was swimming with my kids this weekend. It’s cool as hell that it tells you how far you went with each stroke.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My only complaint about activity tracking are the apps.

Strava sucks balls as a standalone app. It pauses if you raise your arm up to check your distance, unless you keep your arm moving. It seems that it links the auto-pause to the gyros only and not the GPS, which is stupid. It keeps good distance and path data, however.

RunKeeper takes like one data point every 20 seconds, so the maps look all jagged, has no auto-pause option (WTF?), and can't link data to Strava directly.

Nike Run Club just plain sucks balls and you have to go through like 8 steps to get your data outside of the Nike sandbox, which involves exporting it to Run Smash or some bullshit first.

Strong is a good lifting app, but I literally have to do a Reset Apple Watch every single time I start a workout, or it doesn't put the watch into companion mode, and I get no heartbeat data. It works, but having to reset the watch connection every time I go to start a workout is incredibly annoying. And about 80% of the time, the rest and workout timers don't move at all on the watch.

Any other run tracker apps I should check out?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well the obvious question is what is the stock Workout app missing for you?

It doesn't track GPS data from what I gather, just distance, correct? I want to be able to sync with Strava and see my maps/pace/other poo poo online.

Thwomp posted:

I've started using Strong now that I'm lifting again and I've literally never had this happen to me. S3 if it makes a difference.

Are you starting the workout from within the Strong watch app or the Workouts app?

Yeah I'm using a S3 LTE. I am starting the workout from my phone. Sometimes the watch will kick into companion mode on it's own, but most of the time I have to do a Reset Apple Watch to get it to see a new workout was started on the phone. I've tried re-installing the app and whatnot, and nothing.

fourwood posted:

Strong doesn’t seem like you can do much adjustment to a routine from the watch in the middle of a workout (like is it possible to add/delete a set? Haven’t found a way yet, at least.) If I stay within the bounds of the workout I have setup already it’s mostly okay.

I don't start a workout from the watch because, as you mentioned, there isn't very many ways to customize your workout. I like to track it on my phone better, unlike when I run, but if the companion mode on the watch doesn't activate, it doesn't get any heartbeat data.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 26, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Creature posted:

It does track GPS data. Your route map is saved in the Activity app, along with heart rate, avg pace, weather and so on.

Oh neat, didn't know that. I assume the answer is "lol no," but is there a way to get routes to sync with Strava? I typically use tapiriik to sync everything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

I'm going to quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Ah yes, this is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Dave posted:

I kind of take back what I've said. Today I was getting a PR on my front squat and my watch called 911 during it, that was good.

I had to flip my face around to put the crown on the opposite side (facing away from my wrist) because my wrist kept pushing buttons while I was lifting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s great to read because I was feeling the same way. I bought iSmoothRun a couple weeks ago but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Same happens to me on my S3. Siri is loving terrible. The same thing happens on my phone a lot too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kohl's has $60-70 Kohl's cash on the S3 (LTE version as well), plus 3X yes2you rewards if Kohl's is your jam.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sportloop is the best band. Cash in Apple gift cards. Get all the colors.

Just lol if you pay $50 for a sport loop.

Amazon knockoffs all day. Get all of the colors.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mine is like... maybe 1mm thinner than my OEM sport loop that came with the watch. It's honestly not a big deal. Now, how repeatable that is across multiple orders and sources, who knows.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/28/apple-watch-skiing-snowboarding-tracking

quote:

Apple has announced that skiers and snowboarders can use Apple Watch Series 3 to track their activities starting today. Apple Watch apps snoww, Slopes, Squaw Alpine, Snocru, and Ski Tracks have each been updated to take advantage of custom workout APIs released in watchOS 4.2 that enable tracking of specialized metrics:
Total vertical descent and horizontal distance
Number of runs
Average and maximum speeds
Total time spent
Calories burned

Neat! Anyone use any of these apps and want to tell me which one is the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why the heck are my reminders lists not showing up on my watch? They’re all in iCloud and a few are shared with my wife.