Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that the elago one, or one of the 3d printed versions floating around? How well does it hold place?

I went for the orzly one without looking into it and hate it, the ad copy says it has a grippy base to keep it from sliding but it turns out you actually have to use an adhesive to anchor it and gently caress off with putting stickers on my nightstand.

Something with a rubberized base with some dead weight in the bottom should be plenty to keep the thing from jostling too bad, but I guess that's not going to be a thing in the sub-$20 market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pro tip: nightstand mode won't enable unless it's connected to power so when you see the face turn green you know you got it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the option to delete the breathe app and send a mail directly to tim cook to berate him for foisting such garbage on us?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Run apps for the watch are feces in code form. Not a single one of them does their job competently, choosing one comes down to deciding what features you can live without.

They're pretty bad on the phone too, but the watch has unveiled a new tier of halfass development.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, ismoothrun is the least bad. But none of them are able to handle a treadmill run which is my default exercise in winter. The watch saves stride and distance measurements to Health and the apps are all "herpa derpa you ran 0 feet but somehow had a max heart rate of 175!"

To get stride I have to use my ant+ chest strap and foot pod like it's still 2010.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The watch gps is bad but good enough that you can get a sense of your route. The phone gps a fair bit better so if you need more accuracy you gotta lug the brick.

If that's still not enough accuracy get a survey crew to follow you around. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a phone app, but look up Healthfit for a zillion export options. It takes any workout saved to health.app and turns it into .fit format and uploads it to one of a dozen different services.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife traded her Fitbit in for the watch when the 3 came out, says she would never go back.

Don't get the watch expecting perfect accuracy, I find the heart rate tracking and step counting pretty inaccurate, mostly when doing exercises. My chest strap and foot pod are way better for that. But I don't consider this a deal breaker, I just wanted ballpark numbers and don't really care if it reads 5,000 steps a day when I really did 5,500.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't used a 38mm for any length of time but by eyeballing my wife's watch and comparing to my 42mm, I can't see any difference in screen usability between the two.

Choose the one that fits best. Also note that wrist bands come in two lengths, the one in the box will be the shorter version but if you're trying them on in the Apple store they're probably fitted with longer bands. So make sure to ask about that.

And yes, if I do no workouts my watch will lose about 35% of its charge per 24 hours. If I track a workout it'll lose 60% or more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Versa looks like a 1950's television.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The hockey tracking app indicates I am a bad player unfit to play the game, so frankly it's not worth any money until they fix that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

buglord posted:

I'm having the exact opposite experience. Siri begins listening, then right as I speak my first word, I get the three haptic bumps and she cuts me off with "sorry, can you say that again?". I have to repeatedly do this until it lets me finish an entire statement. Does anyone know whats up with it?

I have the best luck when I put the watch up to my face.

But I commonly have three things listening: my phone, carplay, and my watch. The watch only triggers when its the closest device to my mouth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are a billion 0-to-5k plans out there and they all do teach basically the same process. It's super surprising how fast you improve when you stick to one of them.. the intervals seem like they ramp up way too fast and there's no way you can keep up but then you hit week 7 or 8 and are doing uninterrupted 20 minute jogs and holy poo poo it works.

Hardest part is ignoring how fast/slow you're actually moving. All that matters is you finding a pace that lets you complete the workout. Once you're doing 30 minute runs that's when you start obsessing over how fast you're going in those 30 minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iSmoothRun is the least bad run tracking app that supports intervals.

Seconds Pro is my favorite interval timer for the watch, but it doesn't support distance tracking at all which is a thing runners care very much about.

Pretty much everything else comes tied with a subscription IAP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there an app that tracks rhabdo yet? Because that's pretty integral to the experience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

The band is worth $50 so I wouldn’t expect a much larger discount than that.

Actually the band is $100 because the stock band is sweaty cruddy garbage so you end up buying a second actually good band immediately. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sport loop best loop.

This forums poster knows what's up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fourwood posted:

Is this true? I still have a sport band. I am curious about how it compares to the sport loop and the woven nylon, though. What are the pros/cons?

Doesn't stick to your skin like rubber does. Dries pretty fast when it gets wet (though obviously not as fast as rubber).

Only downside is it loosens just a little when damp.

No death smell for me, but I run it through the shower with me a couple times a week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set up a default reply in the watch app and spam that poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe it's a new timey IoT butt vibrator and it's linked to his wife's butt vibrator. Tingle his, tingle hers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The watch is unrepairable so any issues with it they give you a new one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warmth from a watch is due to charging, like if you go play around with the watches in the apple store they feel like ovens because they're constantly being recharged.

In your case I'd assume something is going on with charging the battery, if it's too hot to comfortably touch it's a fire hazard and you should 100% take it to Apple.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My Apple sport loop has no wiggle at all. My overpriced piece of nylon is perfect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do you track weight lifting?

I use Strong and it seems to work fine. I enter my poo poo on my phone and have the watch app in companion mode to record my heart data.

Select the "Other" category and that's pretty much it.

Or because I don't really care I just leave it on 'indoor run' after I do my treadmill warmup and go move heavy chunks of metal around. It's all "wow your pace is crappy bro" but joke's on you Apple, I don't care about my pace!

But getting credit for running a mile while doing leg curls is pretty funny.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rumor sites have started spinning up about a watch refresh this fall, main feature is supposedly going to be a smaller bezel so they can get a bigger screen in the same form factor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It does have a nice look but the animation is kinda lovely. You tap the screen and it goes blank and redraws. Some kind of guitar strumming interaction would have made it kicking rad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't buy anything but the series 3 at this point.

Or hold off until fall if you can because people are thinking a new revision is due.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was an article a few weeks ago about the potential for a bigger screen, same physical size. So basically a smaller bevel watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now everyone's rumoring the series 4 won't have physical buttons. It's all haptics baby.

This confirms series 3 is the best because a capacitive crown sounds terrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Could wrap a piece of tape or maybe a rubber band to try to keep it from peeling off when situation warrants.

Or wear a band that tucks the tail of the band when doing courses.

My sports loop is a little too willing to give up too, it seems designed for gym workout type activity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've reverted to using the Activity app because it's the only thing that just works and doesn't require a ton of fussing. It's bad when I want to do intervals, but apparently intervals are REALLY loving HARD as every single app I've tried has had some deal-breaking failure.

iSmoothRun does technically "work" but it has problems staying in the foreground on the watch, setting up intervals is some excel spreadsheet type data entry poo poo, and has no haptics.

So I turn on a run tracker in Activity and watch the clock if I want to do intervals. :geno:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No clue. Best guess it was related to the wake screen settings I had, but I didn't care enough to get to the bottom of it. Activity works correctly so I moved on. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do you think they're paying for that time warner acquisition?

They've raised prices on a ton of stuff the past few months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of the spring rumors about a new watch this fall suggested a smaller bezel is in the cards. So basically you might be getting the 42mm screen in the 38mm format.

If that's important to you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The scary part is that even though literally everyone hates at&t, Comcast still scores worse at every customer service rating out there.

That said at&t does have a decent cell network, coverage is pretty good throughout the us as long as you're in range of an interstate and they seem to have fewer dead spots in urban areas. At least based on purely anecdotal evidence traveling with friends on different networks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm suddenly tired of America turning itself into a third world country, wife and I took a vacation to Europe this month and contactless just being a thing that works makes me feel like I crawled out of a cave.

There's a lot more cool with Europe but it's not really suitable for this thread. Not gonna be one of those "gently caress America I'm moving out" type people but man it's hard to be home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not on you to determine, though I guess it'd make the conversation at the apple store a little shorter.

They'll take one look at it and be all "yeah poo poo's hosed, here's a new watch."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not what I would have expected either. When we bought our watches the sales person was all "applecare is basically a new watch guarantee because they're unrepairable so anything that goes wrong we give you a new one".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Watch face looks like someone installed java and forgot to uncheck the toolbar install option.

The bigger display is a big draw but not enough to trigger an upgrade.. if the health tracking is light years improved, that'll push me over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Me too, that's why I usually have the modular watch face going.

But I draw the line at my watch looking like a 2005 winamp reskin. :colbert: