Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Question for the cross section of this thread that's also into Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo's experiment in tricking gamers into exercising;

Is there a good Workout that covers the game? Nothing really tracks because it's varied and stop-start, and obvious choices like Fitness Gaming or HIIT or Mixed Cardio or Other all seem to just arbitrarily continue adding active calories even when I'm not moving resulting in an estimate that's like triple what Ring Fit says. What's with this? Some of them say it'll treat it as a brisk walk if sensor data isn't available, but the available sensor data should be telling it I am literally stationary. But also;

Question for everyone else:

Is there a way to have a Workout session without activating any additional special logic? I've found that not activating a workout at all results in an active calorie Activity count that about lines up with what Ring Fit says I'm getting, and I'm broadly inclined to think Ring Fit is vaguely accurate because despite Nintendo's less advanced sensors they have the advantage of actually knowing what exact movements I'm doing. What I really want out of Apple here is the heart rate tracking and just to log this stuff as a Workout. At this point I could take or leave the exact calorie count, I don't really need to know, the exercise is getting done either way, I'd just like if it could be logged more elegantly.

Question not about workouts:

In the scenario where I do whatever usual sleep schedule I had planned and then in the morning decide gently caress it I'm going to sleep for another two hours, is there actually a way to have it continue doing sleep tracking? If I keep mashing snooze every nine minutes (how is this stupid skeuomorphic holdover still in place) it tracks correctly all the entire seconds of sleep I rack up between snoozes but there doesn't seem to be a way to push the time back further without acknowledging the alarm and ending sleep focus. What gives here. If I go to bed late, deactivating and reactivating the sleep focus works how it should, not apparently not for waking up late?

These irritations aside I'm very pleased with my S8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW, I'd trust the device that's actively monitoring your heart rate than the one that is estimating calorie use based on statistics for your height and weight.

There's a "Fitness Gaming" workout type I used when I was doing Ring Fit. Somehow I lost the cart. Probably when I sold my original Switch. Whoops.

That was how I thought it was going to go, but the device that's actively monitoring my heart rate is also telling me I'm racking up active calories when I am in fact standing stock still (when a workout is enabled). The reason I am currently more trusting of Ring Fit than Apple is because Apple doesn't actually know what I am doing with my body, although usually it has enough information to puzzle it out as long as I tell it I'm doing a particular workout and then continuously do one thing for half an hour, while Ring Fit knows that I am X tall and weigh Y and can make a reasonable estimate of the energy expenditure of Z squats (unless I cheat, but, then all bets are off anyway), and generally knows what actual motions I'm supposed to be making. I tried leaving Fitness Gaming on while playing Ring Fit, and when I was done, Ring Fit had me at 200 calories and Apple had me at like 550. I'll grant Ring Fit actively counts zero when you're not physically in motion, which isn't quite how it works, but... a discrepancy of nearly triple the total amount of calories? What am I to believe? Especially considering that when I don't activate a workout, Apple's readout seems to agree with Nintendo's by 10% give or take? There seems to be a broad consensus that Ring Fit underestimates while Apple overestimates, but, by that much?

(One thing is certain though: I am losing weight, what I am doing is working. This is really a matter of record-keeping and wanting to trust in the numbers that I watch going up, because I am above all else a gamer)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apple uses your body measurements for the estimate, as well as the determined resting heart rate. What seems to be irritating some people is that Apple shows two values while tracking. Active calories and total calories, latter which is active and basal. So one values always increases, even if you're still. Of course, if for some reason your heart rate is way higher than resting, and you don't move, your burn rate is still higher. Post workout burn, stress, whatever. Whether the tracking getting irritated by that is still accurate, YMMV.

In my posts I am specifically citing active calories from Apple. I am aware it also shows total calories which obviously will continue to burn when I'm not doing anything. It's the fact that specifically active calories are ticking while I'm doing nothing.

hypnophant posted:

there’s no reason to believe either is close to accurate. Apple claims to have done some validation on their estimates but that means precisely zip when determining if the estimate is accurate for you. Nintendo makes no particular claim to statistical accuracy as far as i know. The difference could also be that ring fit is estimating excess calories and apple is estimating total calories. Or they could both be totally made up bullshit numbers which you should ignore

A big part of the difference is definitely that Ring Fit freezes the counter any time you are not moving and purports only to show the calories you are burning through the exercises, and lowballing it at that.

MarcusSA posted:

How high is your heart rate?

This happens going at 80-90 before I do any exercise. Obviously if I'm coming out of an exercise it'll be up anywhere from 130-160 depending, and I can understand why it might continue ticking up calories after motion has stopped in those cases.

I'm getting obsessive about the numbers because I'm just Like That and I like to know what the perspective on what what the gadgets are telling me is, and I'd really, really love to be able to get the magic number on my wrist to at least be in the right ballpark. But I should repeat; the bottom line is that I bought this thing to help trick my brain into doing exercise, and accurate numbers or not it is working according to the scales. So there's only so annoyed I can be.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
After collecting a lot more data and especially after comparing ring fit readouts with walks of the same length I'm now satisfied that Apple is broadly not totally inaccurate about this. So that's nice to know.

New question: it's become apparent that my otherwise excellent braided solo loop is maybe a size too big. I'm vaguely aware of Apple having an exchange program but the coverage of this I've found is all mid-lockdown and I have to think it would be preferable to walk into a fruit stand, spend five minutes with samples, and walk out with the correct band. Is this a thing you can walk in and do, or do I have to initiate through customer service first?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Thanks. Chatted up support. They told me I can't return the strap at the store without returning the whole watch and need to do it online (but can still try straps on at the store). Then ten minutes later the same guy told me that maybe I can swap it out at the store, possibly. Guess I'll find out! It's a rich world of mystery out there.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I can see how the clusterfuck of corporate procedures might resolve down to the point where officially you can't trade in a band that was purchased with a watch. But also, like, man, if officially they're supposed to have me wipe my watch and take it and give me a new one, and they just, like, didn't and said they did, who would even care? I have to think individual store people will be deploying this logic constantly to make literally everybody win.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sadly they weren't willing to swap the strap in-store because I was just past the official window but they are still willing to do the mail-in replacement? I don't understand this logic at all but whatever, I'm getting the new strap. Funny thing is that the guy in store took one look at me and was like "why tf did you get a 9, you're obviously a 7" and I was like "i'unno I used the tool" and we used the tool right there and it said 9 and yet 9 clearly does not fit me properly and 7 was perfect. Man knew better than Apple.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
But when you buy a watch with a strap you literally just get a box with a box with a watch in it and a box with a strap in it in it!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It is frankly unbelievable how buoying it is to be able to do essentially the same things at the same level
of difficulty but also watch a number go up while you do it (or one number in particular go down).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, trading in my braided solo loop for a smaller one turned out to be an adventure, since Apple refused to just swap them in a store and insisted on wasting my time and their money doing the full mail-in replacement, then sent a UPS guy to me, but didn't let me choose when he would show up, so of course he came when I was at work, and I had to retrieve the labels and mail it back through UPS myself, and then UPS lost it, and also Apple broke my order page so I couldn't access any tracking through Apple, so I had to chat to Apple again and they politely asked UPS what the gently caress and UPS suddenly found it and started shipping it again. From there it turned around fine though. The new loops a tiny bit tight but not really problematically so and this will probably fix itself over time.

So, like, 1 month watch trip report: I love it? I wasn't really expecting that. I basically got the thing for two reasons; my birthday had passed and I wanted a shiny toy, and also I wanted some kind of fitness tracker so I could get to work on getting something resembling in shape. But it turns out a ton of little integrations are just really nice. When walking around in a city using Maps it excels because it's 100x easier to check your wrist than to check your phone, and frankly I don't even need to do that most of the time since I can just take the next turn whenever it sends a tap. Sleep tracking was a pain to set up at first but now that it's working it's producing data and the Sleep app itself is just barely enough of an improvement over Alarms to have replaced it (sidenote: none of you understand how hilarious it is that even now, after over a decade of Alarms.app, 15 iOS updates, two entire original product lines of which one explicitly focuses on timekeeping, the ejection of Scott Forstall, the rejection of skeuomorphism in iOS, the addition of a new dedicated Sleep app, and Apple's decision to embrace sleep tracking and sleep health as a system function, we still, still, are limited to exclusively a 9 minute snooze on ringing alarms with no customisation or configuration possible - a convention that dates from mechanical alarm clocks. I have a little mental breakdown each time I think about this). The Torch feature took me completely by surprise for how useful it is; that screen gets plenty bright, and the light is attached to me and I don't have to hold it. The timers are great for when I need them and I love that it can alert me basically silently. It works great as a remote for Apple TV or when I'm just playing music to whatever speaker from my phone. Also, the buoying effect of being able to watch fitness numbers go up inspired me to do so much exercise that I gave myself tendonitis. Whoops. Also, what the gently caress do you even do with blood oxygen information? It's cool that I have a toy that can tell it to me but, like, seriously, what is the point of this.

I'd like to fill it out with cool Watch apps but it's my understanding that there basically aren't any, and I can't think of any obvious use for it. The most specific I've got is I put Authy on it because it makes it 5x faster to quickly grab a 2FA code vs using the phone. Any App Store sleeper hits I should know?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Faces with monographs sound useful here. There's somewhere in settings where you can set what your monograph says.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Speaking of the right band to cost more than an Ultra, did the Link Bracelet get a price drop? I see it for £299/399, and I swear it used to be £349/449? Y'know, because lord knows I've been itching to spend as much again as my S8 on a strap and a £50 discount could really cinch it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That's a pretty wild discrepancy, depending on your age that could be from deep into the lowest category all the way to a decent way into Above Average. The way I think about it is, the Apple reading may be a ways off the real one but probably trends in the same way, so if Apple says I'm improving I'm probably actually improving by about that much. Maybe some day I should have a lab done.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

OK, I've been using watchOS 10 for the last couple hours and I'm not a fan of the UI changes. I know Apple is going all in on widgets for what I assume is a tie in with the headset, but did we need to change the controls to add two separate ways to access the same stuff most people won't even bother messing with?

Came here to post this. wOS 10 striking the whole goddamn way out so far. Why the gently caress can't I swipe between faces anymore? I had a couple set up with nice little purpose-based groups of stuff which was nice and also 100x more usable than the tiny app grid or alphabetical list for quickly getting to some app if I needed it, with the Infograph being like a central hub of eight things. So that's all thrown in the garbage now, and apparently for literally nothing, swiping left and right just does nothing now, so, that's nice. Control Center was very convenient on the swipe-up, the side button is kinda awkward to press, especially if your watch band is not vice-like on your wrist. So now swipe-up gives you widgets... but turning the Crown also gives you widgets! But turning the Crown doesn't get you to notifications! What I wouldn't give to put Control Center back on swipe up, use the Crown to access widgets and use the side button... to do literally anything else, but we can't have that because I guess the action button is a designated luxury feature. The actual widgets themselves I could possibly see myself liking eventually so time will tell on that, possibly they'll make a convenient way of keeping apps handy at least. Though I don't like that the first chunk of the widget screen appears reserved for a clock, which is, y'know, the only thing literally guaranteed to have already been visible on literally every screen on which you can open widgets. But the apps... I opened the new Weather app, and boy is it pretty, and boy am I mad that there used to be a single scrollable heads-up view that gave you the conditions, temperature, forecast, warnings if any and all the UV, AQI, wind, humidity, etc, all there together, whereas now you have to make two taps for each thing you want to look up, so I have to say the apps are not off to a great start. Similarly there are separate Weather widgets for all the available metrics and no Weather widgets that just loving give you an overall heads up about what the loving weather is like right now. That said I think the standout greatest widget innovation is the one that's literally just a shelf for three circular complications so maybe there's hope yet for people who just want a wrist full of glanceable information within the easiest possible reach?

One day, there will be custom watch faces.

E: It appears you are allowed only one shelf of complications in your widget? What the gently caress? Come on.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 19, 2023

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh since I'm on such a complaining roll. I have Heart Rate as the top middle complication in Infograph so it gets the text add-on. I never really liked how it would almost always say "XX BPM - Y minutes ago", which was a lot of text that would never change when all it actually needed was, like, "XX BPM, Ym" or even no time listed at all since as I understand it's supposed to only update if you start or stop moving or if one minute's reading is very different from the next's. But if there'd been a reading recently, it'd say "XX BPM - now" which was tidier. But now, it says "XX BPM - in 0 minutes", for several minutes after a reading. Please be serious, Apple. OS releases this year seem comically half-baked.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Grumbles posted:

I really like the new widget thing and am surprised to see a couple of people in this thread ranting about it with such vitriol. I guess changing how a phone works is one thing, but there's something that feels a lot more personal and intimate about a wristwatch where it's a jarring and invasive concept for someone to swoop in and redesign how it works. But truth be told I like it much better and find it way less fiddly (and more watch-like!, with the focus on the crown) to navigate.

So like. The thing is, it's well and good to try and change the popular paradigm for how to use a thing, and it's worthy to try to innovate, and Apple in particular has a history of being able to tell people what they didn't know they wanted all along. But where this gets really fucky, and people get really mad, is when you start explicitly prohibiting certain modes of use, especially if you don't offer any kind of way to do the same things. So already we're in the weeds.

The thing about watches in particular is that they are and have always been items that are designed not to have to be operated. You set them up to display an atomic piece of information and from then on you have access to that information at a glance, instantly. The prototype Apple Watch was never particularly interesting, it was literally just an iPhone strapped to a band, there was never any question that the OS would work or that the package wouldn't eventually be made small enough, but the whole thing they needed to do for it to not instantly become a joke was make it work for its basic purpose without having to be touched, like every other watch does, which is the whole reason we have raise to wake and later the always-on display. As a direct analogue to or notional replacement for an iPhone, the Apple Watch is garbage, how can it not be, it's tiny, fiddly, massively less powerful, you only have one hand to operate it with, and it kinda occupies at least your other arm anyway so that's kind of a wash. The purpose of the Apple Watch is to keep sensors pressed against your skin at all times and as transparently as possible, and to float such information as you choose to the screen with as little operation as possible. The other purpose is to look good and be a fashion object. There is a tiny bit of tension between these purposes but for the most part the watch serves them together while not even trying to compete with the iPhone every owner necessarily also has, which is better at 99% of the number of things the watch can, technically, do. But that 1% is things that a phone really sucks at, and which a lot of people want done, a lot of the time.

There are basically two kinds of faces; the ones that are designed to have complications (Infograph, Modular, etc) and the ones designed to be pretty (Photos, Liquid Metal, Motion, Artists, etc). By necessity the informative faces aren't exactly artful (not that there's no charm to Infograph, but) and the pretty faces don't really do much, so technically everything sucks. But this is a problem for exactly 0% of users, because you can set up as many faces as you want according to whatever logic you want and literally flick between them on a whim (or set them up to automatically switch with Focuses and Shortcuts). I would love to see Apple's focus groups and thought process but I think what's happened is they've determined that people were eschewing the pretty faces a lot and sticking with cramming the screen full of stuff to glance at, and the Widget system is pretty transparently an attempt to include maximum functionality within the shortest distance of an otherwise non-functional pretty watch face that people might otherwise have liked but been unwilling to use. This is a solid theory with only one real problem: it was already possible to set up information-rich faces alongside pretty ones and reach them with one swipe, and Infograph/Modular faces still pack more information into a better shape on the screen than two widgets do, as far as I can tell Widgets are identical to large rectangular complications anyway, and you have less control over how they're arranged and need to trust Siri to arrange them for you, but also there's no increase in speed or decrease in amount of operation required to access them. Swiping on the screen is a better interaction if you have to concede to requiring Exactly One Operation to do something because the screen is nice and big and the four swipe directions are easy to do, easier than pressing the side even - this is why Widgets, which Apple wants to prioritise, have taken it from Control Center. But swiping left and right has just been killed and replaced with nothing; the time it takes to swap faces has increased by like 30x for absolutely no reason. What this means is that anyone who had a lot of information faces has suddenly had their experience disrupted for no gain, and maybe they could have been convinced to switch to a Photo face or something and use Widgets but now this means making all their other faces practically inaccessible, so what has actually happened is they've now been entrenched further and embittered because the way their Watch used to work is now broken and now they have to construct a facsimile of it out of Widgets. This is the group of people whom, I conjecture, Apple are targeting with wOS10, whom I think Apple think are a majority of users, whom I think Apple wants to convince to use their Watches in a different way, and I think wOS10 will do nothing except piss these people off by permanently reducing the perceived functionality of their nice watches.

I think my Weather App concerns are wholly separate from this, the Weather complications are unchanged, it's just that in the app I used to be able to get the temperature, H/L, precipitation, humidity, wind, UV and AQI with one tap and a second of scrolling, maybe three entire seconds of operating the watch, and the new app adds a tap, a scroll, and another tap, for each thing I want to look up after whatever is the first the app displays.

Fundamentally, all Widgets does is act as a less capable and frankly worse looking version of what you could already accomplish by setting up and scrolling between faces. It was always going to be a tough ask to get me to ditch my Infograph, but I used to occasionally use other faces in certain situations, and now I won't be doing that anymore, so, as I see it, wOS10 cannot have failed any more completely at its flagship purpose.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 19, 2023

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm still incandescent that it takes like eight taps to consume four pieces of current weather data (eg, temps, humidity, wind, UV) when they used to all be on a single scrollable panel together unless you fill an entire face with weather complications (and then they don't work lol). They aren't thinking these things through on the level of how real people use them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think it'd be pretty neat if Apple would Sherlock Gentler Streak and generally just introduce literally any nuance into their long term fitness tracking. I love Gentler's theory of TRIMP For Normal People, especially now that I am basically through my weight loss stage and into fitness maintenance although I think it should acknowledge kcals measured outside of workouts and that the subscription is a little much for what it actually gives you (which is the shocking ability to see the history of your streak and specific workout length suggestions as opposed to simply working out until the dot moves into the Good Zone and stopping before it hits the Bad Zone). I find Apple's rings kind of psychotic as an attempt to actually guide anyone towards anything that could be called fitness, like, meeting an unchanging arbitrary kcal goal every single day is an approach that serves literally nobody, whether they're a layabout or a literal pro athlete, like, it is astonishing that Apple has all this gear and software and doesn't seem to have any interest in suggesting to someone how much to work out, or at least acknowledging that rest days, injuries, illnesses and holidays exist. What is even with the stand and exercise goals anyway? Stand I at least get as far as posture is concerned but it seems disconnected from the rest of fitness and again the actual metric of clock hours with one continuous minute per day seems to me to be wildly arbitrary. If I were in charge I would close the rings... permanently.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sorry, I figured more people in a dedicated Apple thread would know about Sherlocking.

Also, TRIMP (TRaining IMPulse) is a set of algorithms that takes workout data from fitness trackers and computes values to represent your overall state of fitness. It produces a staggering amount of incomprehensible data that's great for literal pro athletes who need to powergame so they hit peak form on competition day, and nerdery for everyone else. Gentler Streak is a well liked but somewhat divisive app that tries to abstract TRIMP into something comprehensible to normal people who just want to stay or get fit (which basically means it tries to show you when you're doing the optimal amount of working out and when you're doing too much, and also recommends when you should take rest days). The biggest objection to it people have is that when they start it up without an existing data history it skews extremely cautious and tells you to rest all the time, which is understandable if you know how it works but not really an ideal first time user experience.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 4, 2023

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right, what's going on with heart rate complications anyway? It used to be I'd always see a reading from at most 5 minutes or so ago, or sooner if it changed in the last minute. Now the complication is always showing 20-60 minute old readings, except if I open the actual app, it will show there was a reading from 5 minutes ago or more recently, which was just not being surfaced. By all indications the sensors and the actual passive recording are all working correctly, it's only the complication that's busted.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

eightysixed posted:

I know I'm double posting here, but I just noticed... how did you take a screenshot directly from the Watch? Where does it even go? :stare:

You have to enable it in Settings but if you hit the crown and side buttons together it'll take a screenshot and push it to your phone.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I believe in the dream; someday we'll get custom faces.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Opposite of a critical issue but my watch has not recorded wrist temperature data for several days now. I haven't changed how I use it and all other sleep tracking functionality appears to be working correctly. I want to say this started on the day I installed 10.1 but I can't swear to it. Anyone else encountered this?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm delighted by this (see: my previous complaining) but also surprised. I wasn't aware there was any particularly vocal backlash about this, I figured this feature was gone, and it doesn't seem like this can have been planned from the beginning because why would they not have made it a toggle from the start? Whatever, my quick faces are back.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not sure if watch thread question or iPhone thread question but question.

I went on a hour's walk but messed up the workout tracking and paused early on and forgot to unpause for like 40 minutes. Going into the workout data in Health I can see the pause and unpause events in the workout log and it feels like I should be able to just remove the first pause or add an unpause in but I can't seem to find a way to do that? Is it possible or should I just nuke the workout and write in a new one with eyeballed numbers? (It's a regular routine so I'm quite sure of these numbers)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Previously on My Posting, I lamented the kind of blunt approach Apple (and, I guess, Google) take to the recommendations their fitness tracking apps make, on the basis that while generally moving more is good, their basic offerings make no allowances for breaks or rest days and rely on you inputting an arbitrary calorie target and then judge you for not meeting it every day. I also broadly approved of Gentler Streak, an app that likes to do away with numbers and instead give you a visualisation of whether you're broadly doing enough work to maintain or improve your fitness while noting that it's really just a skin on top of TRIMP, an algorithm anyone can use, and it charges a goddamn subscription to let you do things like... see your past data.

Another fitness app I have installed is HealthFit. It's a one-time purchase and it aggregates data from a variety of sources, notably Apple Health and anything that writes into that, but also some other apps directly. It functions well as a browser for the surprisingly dense data that your watch can generate from a workout because sometimes it's fun to dive into that stuff. It also, of course, can run everything through TRIMP to plot a lot of graphs. Basically, it's for nerds. The thing is, though, it added a new visualisation lately. It looks like this:

You'll note that this is basically identical to the visualisation Gentler Streak gives you, if you're familiar. In other words, they're starting to catch on. You can even see the complete history of the sweet spot bar for as long as you have workout records (it's all retroactive), no subscription required.

I have a theory: the only thing 99% of people who want to use a smartwatch and phone as a fitness tracker actually want from it besides a readout of calories is an estimation of whether they are working out a) probably not enough, b) probably enough, or c) probably too much. Especially if you're starting out and don't actually have a solid plan yet, you're not going to want to nerd out over a bunch of graphs but also picking a high number of calories out of the air and trying to burn that every single day is a great way to get injured. Closing your rings is nice but by far the better motif is simply keep the bar in the Good Zone. If you're a beginner, it's going to be a while before deeply optimising your exercise is going to matter more than just getting your high heart rate time up to a good amount but you're the most at risk of injury if you just push hard all the time. You have a simple goal, but that goal has nuance and requires pacing.

Basically, none of this stuff is quite there yet but I hope Apple in particular, the platform holder, the OS maker, figures out a way to bring all these ideas together and get the Watch to live up to the dream a lot of people have before they actually use it - that they can put it on and be immediately given meaningful fitness advice. There's a lot of room for nuance but I think it will basically look like this; a bar you have to keep in the middle. Until then, I'm going to keep recommending to anyone who's buying a new watch and who doesn't already have some particular fitness subscription to use Gentler Streak instead of the default workout app. Right now, it still does a lot of really good, well integrated things you can't replicate with other apps; of course it has the Enough Working Out bar, but it also has a workout tracker that lets you see that bar update in real time as you work, the ability to recommend certain workouts based on how much you want to move the bar, and a basic but quite functional wellness check that will do things like proactively recommend you take a rest day if you've got a bunch of metrics indicating badly. Overall it's the kind of thing I expect Apple to some day replicate, as standard.

...now, all of that said. I got this watch when I decided "gently caress it, I'm gonna lose the weight". This was in March. I have now, in so many words, done that, I have turned this ship the gently caress around, I have done it in literally half the time I thought it was going to take, and 80% of the time I was using only the stock Fitness apps, so I guess they aren't that bad. I will say, though, that for almost all of that time I had the Move goal set very low because my brain didn't like not having a streak of closed rings and would simply quadruple-close it most days. Brains are weird. But also, I literally did injure myself doing too much at first, and in my retroactive TRIMP data, you can literally see the graph rocketing up into that red zone right as it happened. It could have saved me from a month of achilles tendinopathy. I would have heeded the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I feel like maybe I just got lucky with my S8 battery based on anecdotes? Or maybe they just all got unlucky. After a year, it finishes the most intensive days (which will include up to all of; sleep tracking overnight, AOD on, 2 hours walk tracking, 30min-1hr other workout tracking that doesn't use GPS, no audio) with like 10-15% left in the tank when it goes back on the charger for an hour. I've had approximately this usage pattern for the whole year. Health readout shows 92%.

If I ever do get an Ultra it will absolutely be because of the ludicrous battery that'll let me straight up forget to charge it some nights.