Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Dissenting opinion but for some reason the Nike Sports band got insanely uncomfortable and sticky compared to the bog standard silicon band. Maybe it was a defect or something but I dunno.

420 buy Milanese knockoff loops and laugh at the genuine buyers everyday

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How does the Apple Watch nightstand mode know how to pick up taps? I just tap the corner of my bed and the watch on the nightstand knows I did something. Is it some super fine movement detector or mic listening for a thump? It’s really cool.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Pebble spoiled me with an always on display. I'm not asking for the whole thing with all the colors to be lit up, just a simple 9:13AM.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Or what I did because :goonsay:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

xzzy posted:

Is that the elago one, or one of the 3d printed versions floating around? How well does it hold place?

Yeah it’s the elago. I wouldn’t say it’s “weighted” but it’s sturdy and full enough to where it doesn’t slip and slide around. Feels pretty quality for :10bux:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is there a way to mass delete messages off the Apple Watch? The Messages app is super sluggish and im not sure if its because I have so many messages on it. This is a Series 2 if it matters. I wish the watch in general wasn't so sluggish.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

RoboCop 3 posted:

I'm really surprised at how much more I use Siri now that it's on my wrist. For whatever reason, I just never bothered when it was on my phone, but when it's right there on my watch, I use it all the time for all kinds of little things. Being able to set reminders and timers without getting out my phone is really useful. It's obviously in need of improvement. (You're telling me I can't create a simple note without my phone?) But it's still really helpful as-is.

I'm having the exact opposite experience. Siri begins listening, then right as I speak my first word, I get the three haptic bumps and she cuts me off with "sorry, can you say that again?". I have to repeatedly do this until it lets me finish an entire statement. Does anyone know whats up with it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My S2 is getting progressively slower and less functional. How in the world do I fix this aside from getting a new watch? Takes a silly amount of time to do anything.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

eddiewalker posted:

Did all that hoop-jumping, got my replacement watch running on my most recent backup up.

Like, whoa, same model replacement feels like a hardware upgrade. Apps open faster, Siri face actually shows me things besides the weather for the first time EVER. Siri actually does something besides “I’ll tap you when I’m ready.” The workout app lets me change activities without stuttering and freezing.

I only got a swap because the crown button broke, so I guess moral of the story is: try restoring your watch if you haven’t done so since 2016. It might fix all the poo poo.

Yeah my S2 watch feels like a S3 after I wiped and restored. I've only had this watch for one WatchOS cycle, and I figured that Apple devices don't need to be nuke-and-paved anyway, but I was totally wrong. Its a pain that I have to actually janitor my watch more than my phone now, but hey at least its actually performing tasks in a reasonable time again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
S2 owners, how often do you have to unsync/resync to keep watch performance up? I feel like I’m doing this twice a month now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Whoever said restarting their watch periodically as a way to fix bad performance was correct. Thank you goon. Its literal night and day.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can anyone else running iOS 12 public beta 2 on their phone not update their watch to whatever was released today? I just constantly get the “cannot connect to Apple Watch” error despite rebooting, toggling airplane mode, etc.

Yeah I ended up performing a factory reset on the watch to get it to work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I thought it was a S2 and older issue. That's pretty drat inexcusable if its happening on a S3. Feels weird to janitor my watch more than my phone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is it weird to want a thinner watch? Maybe the 42mm is too big on my bird wrists but id love if these things had a slight contour like the Pebble classic. For all the things I like about the apple watch, it just feels like a little metal brick on my arm and I'm never not aware of it being there.

e: Also ive never worn a real watch before. maybe I should use a G-Shock for a little white and then go back?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

xzzy posted:

The way it bulges the sensor cluster so it can press into your wrist makes it look like it's always hovering uncomfortably over your arm. It doesn't contour to the human body at all.

Yeah that explains my gripe perfectly. Maybe it's a heart rate thing because my old fitbit HR thing felt just as unnatural because the sensors were bulged out.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

Isn't battery another limiting factor to thickness?

I like my battery life as it is (my watch can tolerate me forgetting to charge it a few nights) so I would begrudgingly prefer the thickness should it come to that. I do wish it contoured to the wrist instead of simultaneously floating onto and digging into my wrist.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I still feel like I made out like a bandit buying a $10 Milan ese loop. I've gone through two, admittedly, but $20 is still a lot less than official pricing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dugong posted:

I should not have updated my s2 before going on holiday. The battery drain is real.
Maybe I was using my watch more after watchOS 5 dropped, but my S2 battery seems to have stabilized now. I'm still able to go about 24-30 full hours without a charge. But also, I dont engage with the watch very much, only to read texts, scribble the occasional reply, and set timers.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, I never knew the challenges were different for each person. My October is to reach the daily Move goal 18 times, which is probably slightly lower than my average each month.
I had a stint where I was biking 10 miles a day, then I got a desk job and then my watch was very angry with me suddenly becoming sedentary. Now im at the baseline, factory default goals.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 5, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
On the other hand I've scratched my S2 to hell during office jobs. I underestimated how much I scrape my wrist against walls and doors and corners. To the poster with a wife, did she shatter the screen both times while wearing it? Thats what terrifies me the most.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
while the sellers are sorta ephemeral, it seems like whoever is supplying them stays the same because all the loop replacements I've had have been largely identical.

Thinking of going from a S2 42mm to a S4 40mm. I have small wrists so it seems like going smaller while still getting a bigger screen seems logical. My only hangup is battery life. Because i'm getting the smaller of the two S4s, does that mean i'm going to get worse battery life than my S2? My current experience with the S2 battery is fine. It tolerates me forgetting to charge it overnight and maybe takes 2 days before giving up the ghost. I'd rather keep that as a baseline when upgrading.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That sounds about in line with my S2 overnight when its on my wrist. General usage, no sleep tracking apps or anything.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Trying out the S8 for a few weeks but I got a question: is there a way to get “total calories burned (resting and active)” displayed on a complication, through Health/Activites or a a third party app?

There’s so many health apps but so many of them also have subscriptions which I’m tired of.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Shame about that.

Also I tried out apple fitness+ using my iPad as the screen and my first HIIT session today. Having all your data displayed as an overlay while the routine is going feels incredibly cool. The three trainers doing various levels of intensity for the same exercise is a great touch too. Let’s see how long I can stick with this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Wellll since we’re on the subject of batteries again…

Does the background app refresh toggle do anything significant, battery wise? It seems like whatever is on the watch face (in my case, weather, now playing+, activity, messages) will be refreshed regardless. But for all the other apps, does it change how fast they option or how they function? And if the setting is disabled, is there any appreciable difference to battery life on my S8?

And what about Always On Display? Reddit says (Reddit says a lot of things) that setting doesn’t actually amount to much in terms of consumption, but I dunno.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Okay I have a question i cant seem to figure out:

Is there a way to have my Apple Watch do sleep tracking but NOT use its built in haptics/alarm to wake me up each morning? Problem is that I have my watch haptics disabled (since I cant seem to eliminate vibrations for notifications). And because my haptics are disabled, the wakeup alarm won’t vibrate on my wrist. To remedy this for now, I’ve set multiple non-wake-up alarms a minute before/after my wake-up alarm, since my phone will still fire those off at full volume.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

You’d have to turn on sleep mode manually before bed each night. And then off when you are awake.

Kind of annoying, but it does ensure you track your sleep.
Even if I have selected the “Don’t use this Watch for Sleep” option in the Watch>Settings>Sleep menu?

Let’s see if it works tonight if I have that disabled but turn on Sleep focus before bed,.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I would have considered an ultra if I didn’t have little bird twig wrists. I would have found a way to justify it even if my most action packed activity is indoor HIIT.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are showers…bad for your hearing? Whenever my watch comes with me it complains about detected noise levels of +100dba. I figure it’s a fluke it’s just funny that it gets triggered 100% of the time each time it goes in there with me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’m interested in it for the same reason as one of the Accidental Tech Podcast hosts said. It likely won’t be accurate to begin with but you can at least use it to maybe see when you’re far above/below your average, and that might be useful for some people who aren’t diabetic?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Painfully dumb q but since we’re on the subject, there’s not like…lead or anything in my $10 Amazon-sourced milanese band?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve been doing the fitness+ stuff since getting my watch and although the tech is cool and they’re good workouts, most of the instructors are just obnoxious and awful.

Hah. I enjoyed a lot of the instructors but as an urban Californian I guess I’m completely numb/unaware of the culture at this point. I do enjoy the “showing up is what counts” attitude because I think the overall goal is to get people to exercise in any fashion, as long as they do so consistently, since the alternative is being sedentary. It’s why I’m trying to get my mom to sign up. She’s one of those people who could benefit from exercise as she’s getting older and is self conscious about keeping up with the fitness class and is allergic to meathead “one more rep” types.

That all said, yeah California culture is a trip and about as shallow and contradictory as the celebrities. I don’t blame anyone for taking a whiff of it and gagging.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
There’s also uhh…hmm… https://www.nerdfitness.com/ if you want to Level Up your irl STR stat with your favorite heroes, right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

I have set my contact under Settings -> Siri -> My Information, and on my phone Siri can tell me my address. On my watch, it tells me that I haven’t set My Information. I’ve tried rebooting the watch, to no avail. Anyone know what might be up?

On my phone Siri will randomly forget it has my address on file even when it gave my directions earlier in the day. Is it happening repeatedly on your watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Anyone having trouble getting the weather complication/watch app to show weather? My watch has no idea what’s going on and just has been saying “—“ for days now.