Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thwomp posted:

Wasn't the heart-rate monitoring a thing that only the Series 3 had? Or was that like notifications of abnormal rhythm?

Nah, they added that in watchOS 4, along with heart rate variability. I think only the Series 0 is unsupported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

Anyone have band recommendations for fashionable goons? I want a leather band but overwhelmed by the options on Etsy.

Coach, or Hermès if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cozmosis posted:

https://www.weargustin.com/store/6053 Ordered this beauty but hasn't come in yet

Oh man, I forgot about Gustin, even though I've been wearing a pair of their jeans for a few years now. I should order more poo poo from them; the jeans are well worth the price.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's pretty much the Milanese Loop, swap the buckle with a magnet. Don't let that scare you, it works really well.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Grassy Knowles posted:

No, it doesn't, and it weakens with time. It's fine, not great. It loosens over the day and many of us have noted it needing to be adjusted and unlocked again with each adjustment.

Mine's still fine after a year plus of wearing it snug, but knock on wood.

Does anyone know what Apple says to something like that? As expensive as that band is, I wonder how they'd treat out of warranty claims at the fruit stand.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just for shits and giggles, I put the Dark Sky complication in the upper corner, and along the bottom. Both of them are telling me different temperatures. What the hell? Also, why does it take 10 seconds to get my forecast when I tap on the complication? If background refresh is on (which it is for complications), shouldn't it have the temp already?

The entire Watch experience (complication and app) are poo poo for me, too. Sucks, because I bought it specifically for watch use. Im glad the iOS app is at least good, otherwise I probably would've looked into a refund.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

What was the consensus on the best Black Friday deal for series 2 watches?

I don't recall any Series 2 Black Friday deals, just Series 1. I think retailers are trying to clear out Series 2 stock, actually. They've been discounted at Best Buy for a while, now. $30 off the aluminum models and $120 off the stainless steel ones.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

I’m happy with my S2 cause all I want is to passively view notifications on my watch. I have yet to answer a call on the watch. Do I talk into it and I hear people on speaker? Seems weird.

Yea, but in my experience you do have to hold the watch at least around chest level for good outgoing reception (or just talk really obnoxiously loud.) Sound quality is actually really good compared to typical cellular.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Delzuma posted:

My wife has a Dye Sublimation setup (small Etsy store) and I’ve just come to the realization that there are watch bands out there that are printable.

Do you guys think there would be a market in custom watch bands? They would (from what I’m seeing) be more traditional watch band styles but I could put literally any image anyone wanted on them. It’s a few hundred bucks for one hundred bands so I’m waffling a little. But if you guys think there may be a market for it I may give it a try.

Here’s what I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/5eZkFJCq-sw

Depends on the overall quality, I'd think -- of the band itself, and the print. If it looks like Babby's First Screenprinted T-shirt, then it'd probably be a hard sale. If it's a quality-looking print that you could imagine buying in a store, and lasts indefinitely, then that changes things. Hard to tell from that video. If the quality is there, I could imagine plenty of people being interested in the novelty of having whatever image/pattern they wanted printed onto a band.

What's the competition (or lack thereof) like? Are there already people doing this on Etsy? That might be a good barometer.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yea, standby time has been a killer since like watchOS 3. I willingly left my charging puck at home from the Wednesday before Thanksgiving until Saturday night, and made it home with 15%.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Taima posted:

They can't justify it. We have both the real one and generic ones at the house and the real one is basically indistinguishable.

However the space black milanese has the DLC coating and it shimmers with its own weird dragon-steel glow. It is good if you feel like dropping the $

I bought mine (Space Black) because my knockoff started stripping paint within a month and started tearing at the lug within another month. I could've gotten over the stripping paint (it was mostly just where the magnet clasp was) but I obviously couldn't look past the tearing lug. I liked the band style a lot, so I just bought the real thing. Do I wish it wasn't so expensive? Of course, but mine's over a year old now and still as good as new.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mine doesn't, but apparently it's a thing that happens to even the Apple band. Something to do with that little rubber gasket wearing out or getting damaged.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gah, I took off my band to give my watch a deep cleaning, and caught a series of light scratches along the top of the back casing consistent with the pattern of the Milanese Loop links. The Space Black Milanese Loop definitely scratches poo poo (even the Space Black Watch,) so be careful.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I ended up getting an S2, black stainless with Milanese loop for $569. I don’t really need or like the Milanese loop so I’ll probably sell it with my S0.

If you're able to return it & interested, Best Buy has the 42mm black stainless steel S2 with sport band for $429. Might work out better in the end; adding a Milanese Loop to a S0 probably won't bump the resale value +$150.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Three Olives posted:

I'm trying to decide which Apple Watch to pick up, I don't think I need cellular or GPS, I rarely use Siri, I really just want it for notifications. Any reason in particular I should choose a Series 1 or Series 3 over the 2?

Nope! For once, you're not wrong. (Sorry I had to, old thread title and all.) Just don't go through Apple refurbished, and check out places like B&H Photo and Best Buy for heavy Series 2 discounts. Stainless steel Series 2 is especially discounted.

If you're set on aluminum, and can find a Series 1 for less than a discounted Series 2, then that wouldn't hurt, either. All you'd be sacrificing is the GPS, slightly better waterproofing, and a brighter screen (not that big a deal; I went Series 1 -> Series 2 and didn't have any major trouble seeing the Series 1 in direct sunlight.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Apple Watch is part of Best Buy's deal of the day today; a couple of stainless steel S2's on sale. 42mm Space Black with sport band is $349. 42mm silver stainless steel with Milanese Loop is $449.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Some of the Coach bands are currently 50% off for their winter sale. I own the Rexy band and it's well worth the current sale price of $75. Good leather and construction if anything strikes your fancy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

Those are all women sizes? I fit a s/m sports band. Wonder if it will fit.

Yea, it's cool -- the 42mm bands are plenty big. I eyeballed mine next to the S/M and M/L sport bands, and the holes fall between those two. Doesn't look like a woman's band at all. Dunno about the 38mm bands, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

spaced ninja posted:

I really wish there was a small complication as well. I really don't care what song is playing I'd just like a simple play/pause button on the face I can tap when someone comes over to bug me while I'm working.

It used to be like that before watchOS 3. Now, it's all hosed up, and the only way to recreate that convenience (without resorting to using one of the few watch faces with a large complication slot) is to buy AirPods. What a coincidence!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Dave posted:

I kind of take back what I've said. Today I was getting a PR on my front squat and my watch called 911 during it, that was good.

"911, what's your emergency?"
"FOUR PLATES FRONT SQUAT! FOUR PLATES! PR"
"Sir? Please calm down, stop yelling, repeat your emergency?"
"SHUT THE gently caress UP YOURE DISTRACTING ME"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dugong posted:

I wish I didn’t go for a black watch. The majority of bands look so much better on the silver version.

Actually, the midnight fog loop looks pretty cool. Thanks Apple!

The only thing I have against Space Black is, Apple doesn't make a single leather band with black lugs for whatever reason.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is it expected that the black stainless will be more scratch proof than the other two colors? In terms of the body.

If it's still the same DLC coating, then yes, absolutely.

Just a word of warning if you happen to pair a Space Black stainless with the Space Black Milanese Loop -- the band gets the same DLC coating that the watch case does, and the band will scratch the case if you let it drag along the edges/sensor/screen. Other than the light scratches on the underside of the case from the one time I flubbed up and did the aforementioned cautionary tale, my Series 2 Space Black stainless is flawless.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does watchOS 5 do anything worth mentioning for anything older than the brand new watches? This is the update that allows homemade/custom watch faces, right?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pants Donkey posted:

I briefly considered the 40mm until realizing it would render obsolete the $200 or so I’ve spent on watch bands.

(Yeah, I have problem.)

I kinda wanted to do the same until I found out that important note -- as far as band compatibility is concerned, 38mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 40mm, and 42mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 44mm. I mean technically all bands fit all models, but nobody wants gaps or protruding lugs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I had no idea that watchOS 6 finally came out for Series 1 & 2 nearly a week ago. I guess my phone has been trying to download it ever since then, but I haven't remained on wifi for long enough for the ~800MB file to (for whatever ridiculous reason) get piped straight from the phone to the watch in realtime.

I finally gave it the three-or-so hours it needed to update, looking forward to maybe getting one or two new watch faces, and... they suck. :P No complications on either of them, really? Is this Apple trying to gently coax me into upgrading from a Series 2?! (Not gonna lie, I've been waiting to see if the Series 4 go on any deep clearance at big box stores, but no luck yet. I bought my Space Black stainless Series 2 in this manner for like $250.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My Series 2's battery is still on some Nintendo-level black magic poo poo. I don't do hardly anything with it besides Homekit queries and checking the time/notifications, but I'm often putting it back on the charger after a full day with at least 95% battery life left.

If I use it more intensively -- say, turn-by-turn GPS for an hour, and wearing it to bed on occasion for sleep tracking, it'll still be above 70% by the morning. I wore it home for Thanksgiving, 3 days without a charge, and got back with 42%.

I skipped out on the pretty decent Series 4 closeout pricing this Black Friday, so I'm hoping it doesn't spontaneously poo poo the bed any day now.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 3, 2019

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Trying to pair a Series 3 with an iPhone 6 on 12.4.3 or whatever the latest is. The watch says I have to have at least iOS 12, but when I go to pair it, it says I need to update the phone first. But the phone is up to date. What the poo poo?

I imagine some combination of force-closing the Watch app and restarting both devices should fix that. When it comes to pairing and updating, the Apple Watch can be pretty finicky in my experience.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Didn't figure that setting would be present on my Series 2, but it was, and I disabled it. Looking forward to an extra couple of weeks of battery life between charges on this warlock.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Honj Steak posted:

Do you know a decent knockoff version of the black Milanese loop? I know the Apple one is probably the best, but I feel like 99€ is a bit much for something I would only wear once in a while.

If you're really, truly only going to wear it once in a while, any knockoff is probably good enough. I had two knockoffs before I gave up and shelled out for the real thing, but my intent was to wear it all the time.

Problems I had with the knockoffs include simply being painted black (that chipped away pretty quickly,) the magnetic closure not being shielded at all on its outer side, and the lug openings being too wide for the band, causing it to constantly shift back and forth, feeling like it may have been a notification vibration when it wasn't.

A petty downside in retrospect: they just looked like black bands and neither of them looked as nice as the real band, which has a beautiful gunmetal glow/shimmer to it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Apple's black link bracelet is $450 so I went looking for a quality replica. Got it a few days ago, and it's great. Closes the same, and the links are removable in the same way. Anyway, here it is if you're looking for one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969552133.html

I think I'll bite on that, thanks. I looked up some reviews/pictures of that band and it looks great. I've always wanted to give the link bracelet a go, but the price is just ridiculous.

Plus, given the real (Space Black) band is susceptible to scuffing and chipping its coating, there's no way I could justify spending that much. The real Space Black Milanese Loop has held up perfectly in that regard, and I've been pretty mean to it over the years.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jose Oquendo posted:

Say what? I have a space black link bracelet from my launch S0 watch and it’s still in great shape. I still use it on my S4. Absolutely worth the premium I paid for it.

Oh alright, I suppose it's up to the owner to treat it with some care, then. I briefly looked through some used bands on eBay and some of them are looking pretty haggard (unless this seller is trying to pass off fake extension links posed next to a retail box or something.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the SS & Milanese Loop is quite a bit heavier than the aluminum model with a sport band, but if you have no frame of reference, it's not that heavy by traditional watch standards. At those price points, SS S4 all the way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

Whelp. In other news...

Nasty shiny scratch on my black S5 Ti casing. Thought the black DLC coating wasn't supposed to do that. Apple is sending a coffin. Never had any scratches with my black SS. Sucks :(

You don't happen to be using a black Milanese loop or link bracelet, do you? I learned the hard way that DLC-coated SS watch case vs. DLC-coated Milanese loop... loop wins. Thankfully it's on the underside of the case that only I can see, but I swear, all it took was a touch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought of a very valid reason to passcode your Apple Watch -- in the event you get mugged for both your phone and your watch, the mugger now has unfettered access to your Apple Pay credentials via the watch. This comes with some caveats, though:

- that WatchOS does not restrict Apple Pay usage on Apple Watches that don't have a passcode set
- the mugger is also a huge nerd that knows how to use Apple Pay on an Apple Watch
- you haven't already cancelled any applicable credit cards because your wallet was probably stolen as well

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fly Ricky posted:

AutoSleep is a goddamn top tier app. It's sister app, AutoWake is as well. I would even say they are two of the absolute best apps I've ever used in the iOS ecosystem. And they use surprisingly little battery power. I pop the watch on the charger and it's at 100% in minutes.

What of the cousin app, though? (AutoDeath)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kefkafloyd posted:

Coming back to this, I got mine in the mail today and I agree that it's a very nice replica. Looks and feels just like the one I tried at the apple store. I won't feel bad if it scuffs or wears on a $50-ish band either.

I find that having one less link on the pinky side seems to center the clasp better on my wrist, but YMMV. Since there's no half-links it may make more sense to have an asymmetrical number of links.

Same here! I'm quite pleased with it as a whole. Fitment is 99% perfect, and it feels great on the wrist. It's just missing that DLC coating (on the black one), which isn't worth another $400 to me. The brushed steel look is nice in its own way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

In a now-deleted blog post, Apple stated that watchOS 7 would only be coming to Series 3 and newer watches. Dang! I was really looking forward to sleep and dance-specific exercise detection; moreso than anything else announced since after the watch first came out. Don't think those two things are worth the upgrade, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sorry if this is old news, but I just got a car with Bluetooth capabilities! It seems my Series 2 Apple Watch is causing an egregious amount of interference with music playback in the car using my iPhone. When I leave the watch at home, everything's perfectly smooth. I've got the watch pretty locked down when it comes to background involvement (e.g. no syncing of music/photos/etc, virtually no apps besides stock, no complications, plain watch face) I do keep GPS on, but stuttering persists without active navigation going. It's stainless steel. Phone is iPhone 11 non-Pro. Not sure what other relevant information I can provide.

I figure I'll try putting the watch in airplane mode next time I go out, but I was wondering if there were any more convenient solutions if this has been a common problem over the past handful of years. Also thinking an IFTTT routine to automate airplane mode toggle when connecting to the car's Bluetooth, if it would let me do such a thing.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 19, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Without sounding like an rear end, how.... large are your wrists?

It's AC Slater. Dude has been powerlifting and wrestling competitively since the early 90s. Tree trunks for wrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jink posted:

I bought a SS S5... finally... after owning many models. I set it as a goal, and bought one when I got a new job.

I never thought the aftermarket price would hurt, since I finally 'owned it'... but OUCH

I upgraded from an aluminum S1 to a SS S2 when they went on clearance, which really just meant about 40% off. Even that price stung a bit at the time, but it has held up extremely well (black DLC coating!) and I'm glad I splurged every time I reach to put it on. Splurge a little more on a nice band that complements it, and you'll find yourself having a hard time upgrading it in 3 or 4 years. A Series 5 is in much better shape to be futureproof, too.