Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

kimcicle posted:

Why does strava my watch is telling me to log in / sign up on my phone? I've tried reinstalling the app on my watch and on my phone, logging out and logging back in, and it still tells me that I need to log in on my phone. Anything else I can try before I give up? The Uber and United apps work fine...

I’ve had this happen as well. The way I fixed it was open the Strava app on your watch, then open your phone app, log out of the phone app, log back in, close out of the phone app completely (force close it) and then reopen. Strava has some janky issues pop up every so often - like sending multiple push notifications that my activity is ready to sync at once (I’ll sometimes get 3-4 at a time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Weather app chat: I’ve been using Wunderground and it works great and has a decent complication. Pretty sure the app was free; watch support definitely is.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Matt Zerella posted:

The wunderground watch app is slow and annoying and it makes me sad because I love wunderground.

E: I'm on a S3

Seconding this. For some reason it takes a while (relatively speaking) to update when you open the app on the watch (S3 as well).

But, haven’t found another weather app I like.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh neat, thanks!

On a side note, it's pretty funny to see the exercise ring spin around a ton after I get done playing for an hour and a half.

I ran a marathon and my calories ring spun around like a top and was oddly satisfying (ring was set to like 400 and watch said I burned 4000 🤣)

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Re:Strava - I use it almost every single day for cycling and running and while there are a few annoyances, overall it’s great for both.

The Good:
-I can leave my phone at home and go run and get my Strava tracking with the convenience of glancing at my wrist for quick pace/HR/distance checks
-Audio cues have been working fine for me, both thru Bluetooth headphones and if I don’t have headphones connected
-Auto pause for cycling works like a champ

The Bad:
- Auto pause for running is worthless so don’t bother
- for some reason I get multiple alerts that my “activity is ready to sync” on both my watch and my phone even after I’ve synched my activity and it’s annoying as gently caress

Honestly it works just fine for my needs, calls out my splits while running. I just use it to track my cycling and don’t actively check my watch while riding. I wait until it’s uploaded to my phone to actually check the activity data.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Dugong posted:

I wish I didn’t go for a black watch. The majority of bands look so much better on the silver version.

Counterpoint: nah, they don’t.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I originally bought the 38mm because I have tiny wrists. I then saw a 42mm, tried it on, and traded up. The 42mm isn’t huge and just seemed to fit better. Plus it’s nice having the larger screen.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Matt Zerella posted:

I just want to say it's so loving nice going out for a run with just my watch and airpods and apartment key.

Also I'm just a beginner runner who's trying to run away unemployment depression and my god it just kicked my rear end.

Come join our running thread, because no one gives a poo poo about running

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522054

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Pants Donkey posted:

This is a weird edge thing, and I dunno if it's new to WatchOS5, but just a heads-up: if you got airpods directly connected to the watch and take the pods out and put them in case mid-song, you'll have the Now Playing dot on your watch face until you pull the pods back out, put them on, and stop the song normally.

Like I said, a REALLY edge case sort of deal, but it was driving me nuts til I figured it out.

Nah, it seems to be any Bluetooth headphones (and maybe speakers as well?). I ran this morning and turned off my Bluetooth headphones afterwards like I always do and the now playing dot has been there all day. Was wondering wtf. Good to see it’s not just me.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

bort posted:

You could probably exit Now Playing using the side button/swipe left

That didn’t work :/

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Is there anyway to force my watch to use its own GPS when my phone is nearby?

Use case: I use Strava on my S3 watch to track my runs. Sometimes I bring my phone along to use Spotify (loving gently caress loving gently caress on the no watch app bullshit) and have a camera (I run in pretty places). Trouble is, when I have my phone, its GPS is not accurate at all and my run data is crap. Headphones and my heart rate monitor are Bluetooth so I don’t think I can kill that.

I usually just run with my watch, a downloaded playlist, and Bluetooth headphones, and BT HR chest strap and it works marvelously. But sometimes I want new music and don’t want to go thru the hassle of converting a Spotify playlist into something I can put into iTunes.

I’m starting to think maybe the Apple Watch isn’t for me ☹️

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I would think the phone GPS would be way more accurate than the Watch? Bigger battery, better antenna design.

FWIW, I thought the watch Strava app gave me jagged routes all the time, which is partially why I switched to iSmoothRun, then just have that export the data to Strava.

I think what is happening is since I’m running Strava off my watch, my phone is not decreasing time between GPS pings; ie it doesn’t think anything is relying on location so it’s in a more dormant GPS mode? I have no idea if that’s a thing, just my guessing.

If Apple and Spotify would just make nice, that would totally solve my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

nwin posted:

Looking at the apple 3 watch gps version for my wife, but we have a question: she’s a Spotify user and a runner.

Without cellular data, will she be able to load a playlist from Spotify on her watch and go for a run outside?

Not yet. Spotify says that’s coming tho. Of course, it took them forever to just release the app so ... ?