Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

if i just want an apple watch for running (so I can listen to my apple music without a phone), should i just get an SE2? or should I get a 7 or 8?

I'm not into buying outdated hardware, so whatever is the cheapest option with GPS accuracy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you plan to train for, or run a marathon distance, I’d highly recommend the Ultra. The battery on a non-Ultra only lasts 4ish hours with GPS/music/cellular while tracking a run.

If you just run a few miles at a time, any will work just fine, battery-wise.
Oh, well, that’s some real poo poo. I had no idea :( dunno how I feel about spending so much on an ultra

E: maybe I’ll just buy a cheap one and not use it for run tracking, just music, and hang on to my current running watch

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 6, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Grumbles posted:

dying of heat stroke in the cascades because my watch is frozen on the snoopy face

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

if i bought an apple watch to use while running, but only to listen to apple music, is the watch going to get mad at me if i don't have it on my wrist?

in other words, does an apple watch still do its thing if i don't have the back of it against my skin

i just want to run without my phone, and i can shove a 41mm apple watch in the integrated pocket of my running shorts.

essentially a modern ipod shuffle, but with the ability to use apple music and bluetooth

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

MarcusSA posted:

Why don’t you want to wear the watch?

It should work as long as you don’t set a passcode.

i already have a running watch

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

SlowBloke posted:

Do like every athlete do and wear one per wrist, unless you only have one(in which case condolences). Apple watch will quickly revert to standby/lock screen unless it detects a pulse.
I considered this, but I wear a sweatband on the other wrist

The Apple Watch doesn’t work great for running/hiking, or I’d just use it. I know people have opinions about that. That’s fine

This is so silly. I just want to listen to music without my phone and the waist belt required to use it :(

I’ll probably end up buying some cheap Bluetooth mp3 player and ripping my playlist to it, idk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i do run with a hydration pack sometimes, but obviously none of this is an issue in such a case. ~ten miles or less, i don't wear a pack, and i like to have a little on me as possible.

i was hoping to find something that would work with apple music so i didn't have to remove the DRM on files and all that, which is a pain. apple music only works with apple products, and the smallest apple product that works with apple music is the watch. but alas.

i honestly didn't think the answer to my question would be "no." :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah I have a Suunto watch that has a massive battery life even when I use the most accurate gps. It’s perfect, I don’t want a new watch. There’s a whole thing with this watch, Suunto tried to get people to upgrade by dropping support for it and they got reamed and coerced into adapting the software to work basically forever. They made a watch so good no one ever needs to upgrade unless they want a fancy screen. I don’t want a new watch for running, a new watch will make my running life worse. This thing is set up exactly for what I do and can make it a week of 80 miles running and not need charging. It is the most important part of this setup and won’t change until it dies, and then I have another one new in box ready to go I got on sale.

I have apple everything else. Computer, phone, earbuds, whatever. It’s great.

Sounds like my options are ‘deal with it’ or otherwise find a way of tricking the Apple Watch into thinking it’s next to my skin. Maybe wear it on my dick, idk. I don’t generally like arm bands, but maybe I’ll look into that.

Thanks for the ideas.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Apple Watch cock and ball torture machine

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

…so this would work? It literally just needs to play music. I don’t need to interact with it at all. I don’t care if if requires a literal physical key to unlock it. I control the music with my beats fit pro. I would select the playlist, hit play, put it in my little pocket, and only interact with it again when I’m home.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Is there an app that displays sunrise/sunset as a complication that works without WiFi/cellular/any data connection? As in, in the middle of nowhere while backpacking

Lots of watches from garmin/Suunto do this, but I guess the Apple Watch will not natively do this? So… is there an app

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the website reads like it works without a data connection, and it looks nice; i've emailed the developer.

Other garmin/suunto watches will also track barometric pressure and give a warning when it's dropping quickly, indicating a storm approaching; is there anything like that for apple watches? obviously has to work offline and with the internal barometer only

it's hard to search for these things because there are a million "tornado alert" apps or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

hi, i'm the guy who asked a while back about using an apple watch without it being on my wrist so i could listen to apple music while running, hence inspiring the thread title

my old watch broke, so i bought an ultra 2 about two months ago. good watch. thanks.