Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

enojy posted:

I think I'll bite on that, thanks. I looked up some reviews/pictures of that band and it looks great. I've always wanted to give the link bracelet a go, but the price is just ridiculous.

Plus, given the real (Space Black) band is susceptible to scuffing and chipping its coating, there's no way I could justify spending that much. The real Space Black Milanese Loop has held up perfectly in that regard, and I've been pretty mean to it over the years.

Also ordered one of these. I like the look of link bracelets but $450 is absolutely way too much. I'll take some potential scuffs and keep $400 in my pocket. Even my actual Citizen watch's stainless link bracelet gets scuffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Any suggestions for a unit conversion app? You'd think the calculator app would be able to do it, but nope.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
That does not work in areas where one cannot talk to one's watch.

Someone suggested pcalc lite, and the unit pack's only a buck, so that seems like a good pick.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

enojy posted:

I think I'll bite on that, thanks. I looked up some reviews/pictures of that band and it looks great. I've always wanted to give the link bracelet a go, but the price is just ridiculous.

Plus, given the real (Space Black) band is susceptible to scuffing and chipping its coating, there's no way I could justify spending that much. The real Space Black Milanese Loop has held up perfectly in that regard, and I've been pretty mean to it over the years.

Coming back to this, I got mine in the mail today and I agree that it's a very nice replica. Looks and feels just like the one I tried at the apple store. I won't feel bad if it scuffs or wears on a $50-ish band either.

I find that having one less link on the pinky side seems to center the clasp better on my wrist, but YMMV. Since there's no half-links it may make more sense to have an asymmetrical number of links.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It also meshes well with a space gray aluminum case, which I have.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Apple refurbs also qualify for AppleCare. I bought AppleCare for my refurb Macbook Pro.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Well, Fitness+ counts as an initiated workout. Any workout you initiate (even without fitness+) from the workout app will count towards the ring.

If you're going out for a walk, specifically, you can guarantee your ring credit by just starting a walk workout from the app.

In my experience the auto-detection is kind of hit or miss, so I got in the habit of initiating it.

Hell, I use the 'winter sports" workout for shoveling snow.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

fourwood posted:

Yep, this, I did a 50-ish minute walk today and got about 4 minutes toward my ring. If you’re really slow-poke-ing it won’t register as minutes toward your ring.

Wow, that's bizarre. It's never happened to me, but admittedly my "walks" are more like jogs (3 miles, pace around 15-16 minutes per mile with no stops or breaks, heart rate between 110-125). I guess it makes sense that they don't want people cheesing it but I wonder where the threshold is where it won't "count."

Even when my heart rate is clearly elevated on an indoor exercise bike I'll occasionally get a 'are you done with your workout?" prompt when doing indoor cycle. Of course I'm not done yet, it's 125 BPM and my resting heart rate is usually between 60-65!

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 30, 2020

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Endless Mike posted:

No way to designate rest days or even like "I'm sick and not moving a whole lot please don't break my streak," which is a bit annoying.

If I want a rest day, I cheese it by setting the sit/stand/exercise goals to the minimum and doing a "mind and body" workout.

I shouldn't have to do this—rest days/sick time should be part of the routine—but it's the best workaround I know of.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Martytoof posted:

That's pretty hosed tbh. There's no way to win this game and I should just give up. The gamification of this kind of feeds an unhealthy obsession to complete these despite maybe not being super safe to do so, and I think I need to keep that in mind. Still sucks to drop a year+ of good momentum, because, let's be honest, it's total mood killer when you have to break a great streak.

I'm going to TRY for this near-400 goal just because I seem to be frontloading enough right now to make it "reasonable" for the second half of the month, but I think this is basically my limit. After this it's like, I have to quit my job to walk more, or start at 3am.

Once the escalating monthly goals got too much, I just ignored them. My goal is to set a reasonable move value and close all three rings every day. 600 cals move, 30 mins exercise (which I usually do 45 minutes of a walk or ring fit, or half an hour of exercise bike) and the 12 hour stand.

I wish Apple would allow people to schedule rest days or more “focused” days (e.g. some days have higher ring goals than others).

The point of a workout regime is to (IMO) do something that you can stick to on a routine basis. Challenging yourself is fine, but don’t set yourself up to fail. A goal like that is setting you up to fail. So just tell the watch to gently caress off and just complete your rings, because that’s really more important (IMO).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I’ve been using Fitness Gaming for Ring Fit and it’s been fine. Your heart rate doesn’t immediately go down to idle inbetween things, even if it’s not as high when actively doing the exercise.

Generally a 45 minute session for me ends up being around 350 active cals. Ring Fit would usually report around 200 cals in-game. I don’t lollygag between levels.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Also double-press on the crown to get the recent apps list back. This was a big one for me since i constantly used that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Even with AOD my average usage on the Ultra II seems to be about 30-40% a day. If I had AOD off I could probably go three days between charges and still have 30%+ left.