Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really hope the competition committee takes a look at it this offseason.

Nah, the touchback rule is fun and interesting and doesn't happen enough to warrant a big change imo; the chicago touchback would noto have even been called if they didnt challenge. I think we've seen a lot of touchbacks this year but overall I think it adds a bit more drama to the game. If you dont want to have a touchback dont fumble out the endzone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

EmbryoSteve posted:

Nah, the touchback rule is fun and interesting and doesn't happen enough to warrant a big change imo; the chicago touchback would noto have even been called if they didnt challenge. I think we've seen a lot of touchbacks this year but overall I think it adds a bit more drama to the game. If you dont want to have a touchback dont fumble out the endzone.

It's really dumb for the defense to get the ball when they didn't do anything.

All this does is encourage players not to do suicide dives at the pylon... which own. So, change the rule.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Earl Thomas has twice taken advantage of the touchback rule by karate chopping the ball out of the arms of a runner. Defenses can absolutely take advantage of it.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Kalli posted:

It's really dumb for the defense to get the ball when they didn't do anything.

All this does is encourage players not to do suicide dives at the pylon... which own. So, change the rule.

Dunno, I generally think a fumble results from the defense doing something. It's not too often we just see a dude simply drop the ball. When a QB cant handle a snap and the defense recovers should the offense get the ball back since the defense didnt really do anything?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

EmbryoSteve posted:

Dunno, I generally think a fumble results from the defense doing something. It's not too often we just see a dude simply drop the ball. When a QB can handle a snap and the defense recovers should the offense get the ball back since the defense didnt really do anything?

The example from yesterday as well as the Jets example from a month back are both examples of fumble touchbacks when the defense did nothing.

In your example, the defense did a thing, they recovered the fumble. The offense had to offer it up to them like a Brock Osweiler floater, but that did a thing. The Packers / Patriots did nothing to get a turnover.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

EmbryoSteve posted:

Dunno, I generally think a fumble results from the defense doing something. It's not too often we just see a dude simply drop the ball. When a QB cant handle a snap and the defense recovers should the offense get the ball back since the defense didnt really do anything?

the operative words here are "the defense recovers"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Nice! posted:

The touchback rule is different from other fumble rules because the end zone is a special place. A lot of rules change specifically when you're dealing with the end zone. I think it's a good rule and incentivizes people to hold onto the drat ball near the goal line plus gives the defense one last chance to save the day.

You can't put it on the 1 or 5 because teams with holy roller it from time to time to skirt the rules.

I agree.

Plus, the bears shouldve known the rule already
https://youtu.be/67o31JA2m5E

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Here is an idea, secure the football when you are close to the end zone. You know if you fumble there you have a good chance of being hosed. Don't fumble there.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Why is it simply not based on who recovers, the same way it is everywhere else? If the offence recovers it, replay from the line of scrimmage (to avoid holy roller situations), if the defence recovers, touchback. If it rolls out of bounds, same thing as if offence recovers. That poo poo with the jets not-touchdown demonstrates just how dumb the rule is as stands.

e: ^^^^^ that’s a risk with fumbling literally anywhere on the field

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 13, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If a Lions QB runs out the back of the endzone, why is it a safety? The defense didn't do anything.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Bears dude fumbled at the 2 and it went out of bounds in the end zone

Bears should get the ball at the 2 just like if the ball out of bounds literally anywhere else

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
if a butt fumbles...

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The current rule disincentives diving for the end zone. Diving for the end zone is cool and good and should be preserved. The rule should be changed.

Also, John Fox should be fired.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Counterpoint, the rule is funny and therefore good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s like 70% Seahawks fans defending the stupid nonsensical rule, hard to imagine why.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mr. Nice! posted:

The touchback rule is different from other fumble rules because the end zone is a special place. A lot of rules change specifically when you're dealing with the end zone. I think it's a good rule and incentivizes people to hold onto the drat ball near the goal line plus gives the defense one last chance to save the day.

You can't put it on the 1 or 5 because teams with holy roller it from time to time to skirt the rules.

I agree with this. Considering all you have to do is get the nose of the football over the goalline with control to score a TD honestly if the offense can't do that poo poo correctly without flopping the ball around they don't deserve all these extra chances. Also getting rid of the rule would fail to punish Leon Lett and Desean Jackson type of plays. And its not like it happens all the time so I say keep it and lol at the bears.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

solarjetman posted:

the broncos are 0-5 in utterly embarrassing rear end-kickings since 5 weeks ago
And it all started with getting their poo poo kicked in by the Giants.

This entire coaching staff is a tire fire. I hope Cincinnati beats them next week. gently caress Vance Joseph

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Y'all are missing a crucial point of NFL rules. They can change the fumble rule, sure. But to counter holy roller scenarios, they will add another rule about intentional fumbles. Then we can all deliberate in super-slo-mo about whether there was intent in fumbling the ball forward. They can add a new "eye-cam" to the replay so the referee can determine if the runner had guile. Step up the what is a catch game to a what constitutes intent game!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s like 70% Seahawks fans defending the stupid nonsensical rule, hard to imagine why.

It's because the rule wasn't an issue the last decade or so it's popped up both in college and the NFL, and now all of a sudden there's a huge furor over it. If you're gonna dive for the end zone, make sure you hold onto the goddamn ball first and foremost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SsIKgwvz4

Let's talk about kickoffs instead

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what's the current rule if it's 3rd and 3, sweep outside and you fumble after gaining two yards, ball rolls out another 2 yards downfield? first down? 4th and 1?

Im willing to bet this is a play that has happened a shitload historically, it's just that suddenly it's getting called - see also the Calvin Johnson rule which I'd actually seen prior to that in some random raiders game, but that kind of call didn't happen in the saints Superbowl win when it should've due to how bad it'd make the NFL look

also who gives a poo poo if people holy roller, it's a giant risk and should be encouraged just like all laterals should be encouraged so that fat lineman think 'lateral' instead of 'secure and fall' like dumb idiots after they get lateraled to

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I didn't watch the bears game except I happened to turn the TV on right when that whole fumble challenge thing happened. I feel like the Bears are trying to steal the Lion's gimmick. Like when Caldwell challenged the spot on the 4th down run when the Browns guy had so obviously gotten it and the review showed that the spot should have been a yard further past the line to gain.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Gronk talked poo poo to Aqib Talib all game last night. Makes me laugh

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Finger Prince posted:

But to counter holy roller scenarios,

People keep bringing this up, if you're worried about it implement the solution that's already been implemented for the last 2 minutes of the first half and the last 5 of games. I believe it's already a full time rule in the NCAA. It's not an issue.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mastershakeman posted:

what's the current rule if it's 3rd and 3, sweep outside and you fumble after gaining two yards, ball rolls out another 2 yards downfield? first down? 4th and 1?

Im willing to bet this is a play that has happened a shitload historically, it's just that suddenly it's getting called - see also the Calvin Johnson rule which I'd actually seen prior to that in some random raiders game, but that kind of call didn't happen in the saints Superbowl win when it should've due to how bad it'd make the NFL look

also who gives a poo poo if people holy roller, it's a giant risk and should be encouraged just like all laterals should be encouraged so that fat lineman think 'lateral' instead of 'secure and fall' like dumb idiots after they get lateraled to

In the last 2 minutes (or is it 5?) Of a half, you can't fumble forward and advance the ball unless the player who fumbles advances it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller_(American_football)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manoueverable posted:

It's because the rule wasn't an issue the last decade or so it's popped up both in college and the NFL, and now all of a sudden there's a huge furor over it. If you're gonna dive for the end zone, make sure you hold onto the goddamn ball first and foremost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SsIKgwvz4

Let's talk about kickoffs instead

Jon Bois is a national treasure.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

In the last 2 minutes (or is it 5?) Of a half, you can't fumble forward and advance the ball unless the player who fumbles advances it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller_(American_football)

OK fine so what about the rest of the time

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Then it's where the ball goes out of bounds. So 4th and 1.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Holy Roller actually owned and should be legal

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Can't talk about the Holy Roller without talking about the Holy Loper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpvnwhRHvA

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Holy Roller actually owned and should be legal

No

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Legalize the fumblerooskie again while we're talking fumble rules.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Legalize the fumblerooskie again while we're talking fumble rules.

Are they illegal?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Are they illegal?

Yeah you can't do it straight from center any more for some reason that I don't understand. The play was basically dead until this totally kick rear end fake punt, which was legal because the snap had already happened.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

Then it's where the ball goes out of bounds. So 4th and 1.

Ball is lost prior to first, goes out past. So which is it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Ball is lost prior to first, goes out past. So which is it

If it's lost prior to the first down, goes out of bounds past the first down marker, then it's the fumbling team's ball, first down

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

If it's lost prior to the first down, goes out of bounds past the first down marker, then it's the fumbling team's ball, first down

That's hilarious. Qbs should shovel it out every time they get to the sideline

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

That's hilarious. Qbs should shovel it out every time they get to the sideline

They're the QB so it would be an illegal forward pass past the line of scrimmage, or an incomplete pass behind it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

I always wondered why wide receivers who are trying to reach the sidelines to stop the clock don't just toss it there.

Fresh faces fact: If the season were to end today, the NFC playoff teams would be the Eagles, Panthers, Rams, Saints, Vikings, and Seahawks. Between the six of them, they only have 3 Superbowl wins and none of them have won twice. However, these teams do combine for a whopping 12 Super Bowl losses

Eight Fascinating Facts about Week 10

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

I'm pretty sure in that case it would actually be marked back where the fumble occurred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

I always wondered why wide receivers who are trying to reach the sidelines to stop the clock don't just toss it there.

It's a fine line between a fumble and an illegal forward pass

• Locked thread