Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I'm pretty sure in that case it would actually be marked back where the fumble occurred.

Only in the last two minutes of a half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Don't forget the Tuck Rule.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

Only in the last two minutes of a half

No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumble

quote:

A fumble going out-of-bounds between the end zones is retained by the last team with possession (in Canadian football, the last team to touch the ball). If the ball was moving backwards with regard to the recovering team, it is spotted where it went out of bounds. If the ball was moving forwards, it is spotted where the fumble occurred (the fumble itself cannot advance the ball).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The NFL should adopt the Rouge Point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

The 20 yard end zones would open a lot of things up down by the goal line too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Finger Prince posted:

They're the QB so it would be an illegal forward pass past the line of scrimmage, or an incomplete pass behind it.

That doesn't make sense. A rb can do it, same as a qb. We're now at the point of what's a fumble that goes forward vs a pass . what a mess

Edit oh OK you were wrong about the first down thing so this is all a giant waste of time. Everywhere on the field the offense retains possession of a ball going out of bounds, no farther ahead than where the ball was fumbled, except in the end zone. Stupid rule

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

And the javalin football that gets wielded like a club.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

It's a fine line between a fumble and an illegal forward pass

No I mean to stop the clock, why don't receivers just lob it towards the sidelines? Make sure it goes backward.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grittybeard posted:

The 20 yard end zones would open a lot of things up down by the goal line too.

Wider fields and unlimited motion before the snap are more important to the CFL IMO

The NFL should adopt 20 second playclocks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

No I mean to stop the clock, why don't receivers just lob it towards the sidelines? Make sure it goes backward.

Usually near the end of the game defenders cheat and play to the outside of receivers so the can tackle them inside the field. Wildly tossing the ball towards the sidelines makes it pretty likely those defensers could knock the ball in and recover it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

And the javalin football that gets wielded like a club.

NFL players don't have the northern pith required to survive that level of play.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

I just read it's a 5 yard penalty and a 10 second runoff which is why no one does it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I just read it's a 5 yard penalty and a 10 second runoff which is why no one does it.

Does it count as illegal batting or is there a specific "don't throw the ball out of bounds laterally if you're a runner" rule?

e: I mean we know it's illegal in some fashion or Belichick would have been doing this all along, and I say this as an impressed viewer of the coach rather than a the Pats are cheating guy.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It said it was a rule in the NFL and college but college doesn't have a runoff? It was on a blog I only quickly looked at so who knows but it seems right

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Grittybeard posted:

Does it count as illegal batting or is there a specific "don't throw the ball out of bounds laterally if you're a runner" rule?

e: I mean we know it's illegal in some fashion or Belichick would have been doing this all along, and I say this as an impressed viewer of the coach rather than a the Pats are cheating guy.

It's specifically included in a new rule this year covering actions to conserve time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

That doesn't make sense. A rb can do it, same as a qb. We're now at the point of what's a fumble that goes forward vs a pass . what a mess

Edit oh OK you were wrong about the first down thing so this is all a giant waste of time. Everywhere on the field the offense retains possession of a ball going out of bounds, no farther ahead than where the ball was fumbled, except in the end zone. Stupid rule

I'm not basing this on any actual rules, so I'm probably completely wrong, but if you're the "designated guy who's allowed to throw a forward pass (generally the QB)", any type of shovel, chuck, heave, lob, etc that goes forward is a pass (whether illegal or incomplete), not a fumble. Hell the ball can even be going backwards as long as your arm is going forward or you're making a forward passing motion.
Definitely agreed on your edit that this is all a giant waste of time though.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think it's a dumb rule when a player gets hit late as a defenseless receiver, have the penalty not called, and then the offensive team penalized with a 10 second runoff because the player got injured and it's under 2 minutes. This happened to Delanie Walker towards the end of the game yesterday.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I think it's a dumb rule when a player gets hit late as a defenseless receiver, have the penalty not called, and then the offensive team penalized with a 10 second runoff because the player got injured and it's under 2 minutes. This happened to Delanie Walker towards the end of the game yesterday.

It's a cleaner rule than in soccer where you get players rolling around pretending to be injured to waste time, and then the referee adding an arbitrary amount of time to the end of the game that's meant to approximate the amount of time spent rolling around with your hands on your face.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finger Prince posted:

It's a cleaner rule than in soccer where you get players rolling around pretending to be injured to waste time, and then the referee adding an arbitrary amount of time to the end of the game that's meant to approximate the amount of time spent rolling around with your hands on your face.

Soccer also doesn't have a hard time limit even beyond the extended time. It's "has the team who is down no longer have a chance to potentially score" more or less once time expires (otherwise in non-one goal games they'll usually blow it down).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

iospace posted:

Soccer also doesn't have a hard time limit even beyond the extended time. It's "has the team who is down no longer have a chance to potentially score" more or less once time expires (otherwise in non-one goal games they'll usually blow it down).

Is that how it's actually set up in the rules? I know rugby is the game ends when the team in possession after 80 minutes loses possession, but soccer doesn't seem to take possession into account after 90 minutes and into time-added-on.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I'm not basing this on any actual rules, so I'm probably completely wrong, but if you're the "designated guy who's allowed to throw a forward pass (generally the QB)", any type of shovel, chuck, heave, lob, etc that goes forward is a pass (whether illegal or incomplete), not a fumble. Hell the ball can even be going backwards as long as your arm is going forward or you're making a forward passing motion.
Definitely agreed on your edit that this is all a giant waste of time though.

There's no designated guy who's allowed to throw a forward pass. As long as a forward pass hasn't been thrown yet and the ball hasn't passed the line of scrimmage, anyone can throw it; that's why the trick play works where the QB throws it laterally to some WR (generally a former QB) who throws it deep. The snap-taker has some extra protections when getting hit during a pass, and only the snap-taker is allowed to spike it, but otherwise they're not special.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm just going to say that holy-rollers, touchdown celebrations, deep passes, and other associated nonsense (but not fumblerooskis) go against the Spirit Of Football, which I believe was set down by ancient decree as Hard-Faced Men Doggedly Advancing The Ball One Down At A Time Toward The Endzone, To The Cheers & Adoration Of The Fans, Whose Loyalty Will Last A Lifetime.

Edit: I forgot to include In The Crisp Fall Air in all that

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 13, 2017

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

iospace posted:

Don't forget the Tuck Rule.

I bring it up without warrant at parties

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Drunk Nerds posted:

I always wondered why wide receivers who are trying to reach the sidelines to stop the clock don't just toss it there.

Fresh faces fact: If the season were to end today, the NFC playoff teams would be the Eagles, Panthers, Rams, Saints, Vikings, and Seahawks. Between the six of them, they only have 3 Superbowl wins and none of them have won twice. However, these teams do combine for a whopping 12 Super Bowl losses

Eight Fascinating Facts about Week 10

Take the Saints out of that list and you only have two Super Bowl wins, but you still have 12 Super Bowl losses. :smug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rjmccall posted:

There's no designated guy who's allowed to throw a forward pass. As long as a forward pass hasn't been thrown yet and the ball hasn't passed the line of scrimmage, anyone can throw it; that's why the trick play works where the QB throws it laterally to some WR (generally a former QB) who throws it deep. The snap-taker has some extra protections when getting hit during a pass, and only the snap-taker is allowed to spike it, but otherwise they're not special.

Fair enough, point is though that as long as it's legal to throw a forward pass, you can't game the fumble rule by doing a shovel pass of bounds to get a first down, which is what I was originally responding to.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

They should do the Schiano rule change just so we can all talk about how Greg Schiano made a lasting impression on the NFL

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
While we’re changing rules, down-by-contact is nonsense. If you’re down you’re down.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
And what's with this whole 'fumble' thing? If you drop the ball everyone should just stop and give you a do-over.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

what do you even take from that game?

Dolphins have completely quit.

Panthers could do no wrong on offense.

Miami managed a quick strike offense that nullified the pass rush but couldn't score until it was garbage time.

Whatever, rest up for the bye. Please no one murder a stripper or anything.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

tk posted:

While we’re changing rules, down-by-contact is nonsense. If you’re down you’re down.

To be fair, if you are so wide open that you can go to the ground, get back up, and gain additional yardage before someone even touches you, that should be rewarded. And if you let a guy get that open you should be punished.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The AFC loving sucks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

The AFC loving sucks

And yet im pretty sure the Patriots are winning the Super Bowl.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

And yet im pretty sure the Patriots are winning the Super Bowl.

The AFC loving sucks

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

swickles posted:

To be fair, if you are so wide open that you can go to the ground, get back up, and gain additional yardage before someone even touches you, that should be rewarded. And if you let a guy get that open you should be punished.

This. It took me a while to get used to this difference from college rules but I'm whole heartedly for it. Just feels dumb when a guy slides to the ground in college making a catch but is otherwise open for 5-10 yards around him that he can't get up and keep playing.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

Getting that wide open then losing out on the free extra yards because you tripped over yourself is way more hilarious.

But mostly I just don’t want to watch any more replays trying to figure out if Player A brushed against Player B or if that was just a gust of wind that moved his jersey.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
go eagles

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

the nfc loving sucks too

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Every primetime game this week were poopfests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Antonio loving Brown

• Locked thread