Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Do you guys only pull out the Gloomhaven map when you go back? I have a wild idea of framing it and hanging it on the wall...like a map. You don't do more with it later other then a sticker reference sheet right?

just make sure your frame covers as little of the physical board as possible. there are large stickers that go on the edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Really your character's randomly drawn motivation card is more of a deciding factor in your rp than anything else.

this is 100% correct.

one group my first character, a mind thief, was all about the team cause my career goal was to kill 20 of something we found many of. No problem there.

my other group, as tinkerer, my goal was to amass 200 gold, and it turned me into the worst team mate ever. I would let people come to within a point of exhaustion just to get my hands on one more filthy coin, and when I retired, all that gold just disappeared into the ether. because there's no I in team.

Right now in group 1 I'm slow-playing the sunkeeper(sun) because being the best tank ever is tons of fun.

group 2 I'm burning hard toward retiring the quartermaster(triple arrows) because juggling items isn't that fun.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 13, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

You should probably say what symbol is behind those spoilers, because otherwise people have no clue whether they've unlocked what you're talking about until they actually look over the spoiler.

gooooood call.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tekopo posted:

When you level you:
- Get to select 1 new card to add to your deck (I find that choosing cards is really difficult because they all seem sooo good).

Reminder for everyone: that new card you get REPLACES another card already in your hand.

You can NEVER have more cards in your hand than what's printed on the top right of your character card.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 14, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

The Iron Helmet is pretty great, while playing the Sun Class it was a good starting item. I lucked into a different head item that heals me 1 each time I kill something though, and it's amazing at keeping me constantly topped off.

It helps that the sun class’s lowest attack is a 4 and it can have permanent shield 2

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Signal posted:

Yeah, that's kinda the reason I don't want to shoehorn myself in as a fifth player. I'd rather ensure that others are hooked as strongly as I am with a good experience.

if you hook all 4 of them you'll never get to play

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I haven't. in california, ordered 2 + 1 printed addon

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

for the first time in 50+ scenarios, last night one of my groups almost wiped. Scenario 26, Ancient Cistern.

Mind Thief (7), Spellweaver (6), Cragheart (6), and Triple Arrow (me, 3)

Cragheart and Spellweaver exhaust tanking in the last room, Mindthief goes invisible to accomplish the scenario goal, and I tank the last of the damage, ending up with 0 health and all 09 of my hand cards in the loss pile and exhaust just as the MT finishes it while long resting.

And before we started there was much discussion about increasing the scenario level cause things were getting too easy.

EDIT: looking at BGG apparently that's one of the toughest scenarios in the game.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 20, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

jmzero posted:

I assume you're just replaying the starter characters (with all boxes unlocked) after 50 games - but how are you still on Prosperity 3 after that long? I think we were on Prosperity 6 by then.

I should have made it clearer - I was super lucky to have two friends get March copies of the game and ask me to join their play groups. One group played 2 scenarios a week for a good 2-3 months - everyone's on their second or third characters there. The other group (where this anecdote was from) meets much more infrequently, and only I have retired a character, though at least 2 others are going to in the next 2-3 scenarios.

I've probably played 35 scenarios with group 1 and 15 with group 2.

as for prosperity, group 2 is one prosperity away from level 3.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Also, iron helmets people. Some of the best $10 a level 1-3 character can spend, after the stamina potion.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Another dumb question, for skills like Cragheart's Opposing Strikes, how does the 'gain 2 Retaliation' effect apply? Is it basically each hit you take does 2 damage to the attacker? Or does it grant you 2 retaliation for the rest of the round? Or what?

My assumption was that it was for the rest of the round (like how monster ability cards work), but then if you get hit 3 times in a turn you'd have 6 retaliation on you?

it means that until your next turn begins and the card goes into your discard, each time you're melee attacked you do 2 retaliation damage to the attacker. It doesn't mean the 2nd attacker takes 4 and the 3rd takes 6.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Koskinator posted:

It's a persistent effect, not until end of the round.

woops, didn't look at the card, just went by the description.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Elblanco posted:

As someone who just discovered this game and doesn't have a copy yet. How many scenarios are in the campaign?

About 100, but some are unlocked through choices on events or chests in other scenarios, and the storyline branches too. So in one campaign you cannot get to all the scenarios, though nothing’s stopping you from playing all of them

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

So now that many of you have the game l, is it worth $104?

I don't think I've ever spent as much time with a single board game as gloomhaven, and I might have seen maybe 40% of the stuff in the box.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

We are going to try the 5 player version, with the scaling monster levels and traps by 2...

...And since I spent like $100 on this, I don't want to... gently caress around with a bunch of stupid rules for preserving some sanctity of the game experience.

you are already doing the latter by doing the former. I get what you're trying to say, but in this case, playing it 5 player IS a bunch of stupid rules.

There's going the extra distance to preserve the 'sanctity' of the game experience and then there's trying to play a 4 player game with 5 players.

Have fun!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

please report back on how 5 players goes. I can't think of a situation where I'd try it, but I'm curious to hear how people fare changing a fundamental design decision. I hope it goes well!

EDIT: I also understand that people want to play the game with changing groups because hey, you can't really plan things around a board game. I will say, though, that a HUGE part of my enjoyment of playing gloomhaven since march has been playing it with the two almost entirely fixed groups I've played with. One group only plays when all 4 of us can make it, the other has played with as few as 2, but always the same 2-4 people.

If you're regularly switching players in/out, or even around the characters, it's going to make the game MUCH of a single scenario based dungeon crawler rather than a fleshed out story.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 26, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ojetor posted:

Math-wise, 5 should work fine with the level bump.

The real problem I can think of is clutter becoming an issue at 5 players. At 4 characters you can already have annoying traffic jams around doors or narrow corridors. Playing 5 players worsens this, and if you add in summons and trap/obstacle laying it could get really bad.

exactly. it would not surprise me to learn that the map tiles were tuned for length and width for a max 4 player count.

4 player max vs 5 player max is less of a fundamental design distinction in a cooperative game than competitive, but it is a really big choice. You can definitely try and force it into a 5 player game, but there are probably many different interactions that break down that way, even if you add to the scenario level to make up for it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Well we didn't have 5 today - only 3.

We were surprised by some of the game flow pressures, but we had a good time! There's a certain feeling of swimming underwater the way that the combat mechanics work - do I have time to go over and pick up that coin, or will that leave me exhausted?

The first combat of the first scenario was absolutely the hardest for us. We picked, completely arbitrarily because that's how we roll, the mindthief, the tinkerer, and the uh groot guy.

The biggest challenge our group sees for playing with variable participants is the city item deck - that seems like a bottleneck.

super glad you enjoyed it! The tempo of the games really does take a couple scenarios to make sense - remember the only real resource is the cards in your hand. That swimming underwater feeling gets a little better once you start understanding/tuning how your character works a little better, but it never goes away completely, and it shouldn't - that's one of the big innovations of the game - a built in timer that runs at different speeds for each player, forcing interactions that don't always work in the party's best interest.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

keldon posted:

Anybody gotten to enhancing cards yet? We unlocked the ability last night, and so far have only done one: the Mindthief's Scurry. We added a +1 to the Move line, to more reliably trigger the Horned Helm's +1 attack. It's a stressful choice: it's very expensive, we can only enhance one card per class (so far), and we want to use a card that will always be useful even after more level ups.

We're thinking of adding Curse to one of the Tinkerer's area attacks. Dropping 3 misses in the monster deck has got to be nice. Not sure what card to go for with my Brute. The one I get the most use out of is Skewer, but adding a third hex seems bad, and while +1 attack would be nice I'm wondering if there's a better option.

some later classes are particularly reliant on enhancements. the (symbol spoiler) sun class in particular.

also curse is one of the 3 most important abilities in the game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

I'm really looking forward to upgrading the Shield 1 for the whole game to Shield 2 card for that class. I'm not sure what else to upgrade at the moment.

after that you need to upgrade as many bottom move actions as you can to offset the penalty imposed by the card referenced in your spoiler.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

Really considering this being my Xmas present (from my wife). Looks like so much fun, but I'm always wary of pre-orders. Is there any reason for me to doubt pre-orders being filled?

the second kickstarter is fulfilling now. it was a massive success. retail copies won't be available till january at the earliest. there is zero reason to doubt the game exists, and no real reason to think stores that ordered copies won't get them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The music note is the most powerful class in the game. You’ll probably want to raise the scenario level by at least 1 when it’s in your party.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 2, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I find myself very slightly regretting ordering 2

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

(we do anyway because we like working with each other).

this blows my mind. gloomhaven is designed to be somewhere between semi-cooperative and full cooperative. breaking the rules like that is nuts to me.

I'm all for revealing your battle goal once you've achieved it, but part of the gameplay and difficulty is planned around the characters not having perfect information about each other's motives.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Beffer posted:

This is one of the great strengths of the game. It is very flexible to play how you like. Whenever it gets too easy, just bump it up.

Also, I’m struggling with my new character, the Sun class. My son's tinkerer should retire next game and another new class should really change things up.

the sun class doesn't come into their own until you unlock enhancement and can spend the gold upgrading the bottom half of defensive stance with a +1 to shield. then it's the best tank in the game, but you trade mobility for it.

EDIT: make sure you have the iron helmet (pretty good for every low level character) and a stamina potion (mandatory for everyone). the best armor your prosperity level allows is also a great pick. You're meant to be up front, but that requires a lot of planning, because you move slow.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 5, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Beffer posted:

My son retired his tinkerer this morning and opened the mindflayer character box. Completely different.

The new characters really give the game a new lease on life, as the combat was getting a bit samey.

Mindflayer is 3rd tier in the class power rankings at high/boosted scenario level, alongside (symbol) sun.

Music note is 1st tier by themselves. 2nd tier is (symbols) circle+crescent and triforce.

everything else is lower. of course everything is viable if you play it right, but some classes are much better than others as enemy level rises.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 9, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

BinaryDoubts posted:

(highlight: tinkerer hookshotting the elite archer and pulling them through two mines, killing them instantly).

If I remember correctly the pull action should have been interrupted by hitting the first mine, so the elite would have taken damage from only one.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Have people put together a class tier list? A non-spoilery one?

there's some discussion about it on BGG, but they're kinda back and forth on spoilers.

there's one guy in particular who's done in depth class guides for a few of them and knows his stuff. He and his group have done almost the entire game, and play everything at the max scenario level.

a general strategy spoiler for super high level play. it describes which effects are the most important: instant kill, curse, and stun/disarm.

the reasoning: at high level, monsters have so much health and shield that you basically have to kill them without taking their health down. meanwhile, you have to avoid their attacks through disarm, curse, and stun.

As a result, the most powerful classes can do those abilities in my first spoiler better than the others - AOE perhaps, without loss perhaps, or very frequently, etc.

if you take all of that together, the best party for 'end game' or max scenario level is (symbols) music note, triforce, and circle+crescent, with EITHER sun OR cthuhlu-face as the 4th. If you can control the flow of enemies direction-wise, it's the former. If not, the latter.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Just receives two copies of GH + 1 solo scenarios. Twist is that I never got a shipping notification.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

Is it really that difficult to ignore the enhancement stickers on a card if you feel the need?

Agreed, but you'll run into trouble when someone tries to enhance them in the second campaign with a different enhancement.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Can someone explain why three Spears is broken/fun/anything? I played it and was bored to tears till I retired him fast and went with spikey haired angry guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sun, chthulhu face, and music note are the bgg-approved god tier party. The 4th character doesn’t matter