Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wow. This game is great.

This is going to live on my game table for a long time. Playing with my daughter's. We got.

Rockman the Crabheart
Bubon the Mindfreak
SuperPunch the Brute

Right now I have enough room for everything but it seems like quickly the scenarios are going to get bigger.

Do you guys only pull out the Gloomhaven map when you go back? I have a wild idea of framing it and hanging it on the wall...like a map. You don't do more with it later other then a sticker reference sheet right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

just make sure your frame covers as little of the physical board as possible. there are large stickers that go on the edges.

Cool. Maybe I'll just get nail it up with some tiny finishing nails

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

I'm half in the bag and can only read this as a drunk persons post and love it.

Where is my copy, cardhaus?

If you mean the names it's because they are 7 and 4. The 4 year old is basically me playing a second character and her yelling 'oh yeah oh yeah punched you in the Crabheart" after drawing a hit card.

Our Party's name is The Punchmans.

7 year old is loving it. She's my gaming genius I've written about before. She tried the Tinkerer for the first scenario, I'd read bad things but wasnt going to stop her fun. She declared it too situational and switched characters. RIP Tinkawesome the Tinkerer

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Scoundrels story made me not want to play it. The other ones are minority struggles or other generic motivations. rear end in a top hat human kind of didn't sound fun.

Also the allure of rogue but with mind/rat powers was too strong.

So many classes in this I don't think I'll ever get to play them all. Want to try the spell starter and the scoundrel now.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I got the "donate 120g to the church" objective which is basically a timer.

I got "do 15 scenarios" which is literally a timer. Other character is mindrat who has killed 8 different things after 3 scenarios...he might retire at barely level 2.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nice writeup.

My Brute Mindtheif Cragheart team seems like it could really use a scoundrel or spellweaver, a striker. We are barley eeking out scenarios with 'luck' or 1 person exhausted and the other too with hands of 4 cards, which if you have played means you have 2 rounds left or so and it might be time to nuke your way out. Still when we saw a Boss and its health we were shocked.

Or is it just balanced like that? keep hearing how well balanced it is.

Also I find mindthief constantly has heal 2 attached to you know, not die, instead of +2.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, scenarios are balanced pretty tightly at low levels, but once you get more items and tailored ability decks you'll probably end up with more leeway. I think all of those classes can build for pretty solid damage, but the Scoundrel makes them look like chumps in that department. She is extremely good. Doing 2 player boss fights with a scoundrel is funny because she can often one or two shot them with the right setup, due to their lower hp.

This makes sense. All level 2 characters are still recommended to do the same difficulty scenario.

KingKapalone posted:

What does the Mindthief have for damage mitigation/reduction if he has caster squishiness but is also melee?

I'll probably play that or Scoundrel since in two tabletop RPGs I'm in I'm essentially a brute in one and a warlock in the other. In the group of 4 I'll have for this, I have a feeling the Brute will sound too plain for anyone to pick. Would that leave a Mindthief too open to being focused and gibbed?

edit: About how many scenarios does a character last for? Can you swap in and out before retiring one? Wondering how many classes I'll actually get to try throughout a full playthrough of this.

He has a ongoing card that heals you every time you melee attack. So you can go into heal/stab mode. Also invisibility to save your rear end. Also a couple move/attack cards, so you can move and attack twice with heals you to full pretty much.

You can make a new character anytime you want. Each class has a pad of character sheets. There are also one-shot scenario builders cards if you want to just make one and try a character.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 13, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Oh man, we lost our first scenario (after 4 victories). Oh well, it was bound to happen and I was very close to winning it by myself. I really like the level 2 brute ability that just outright kills a normal enemy

I saw that one while looking at the X cards for Brute and it was the first level 2 card. :catstare: Cant wait for the fun times with all the characters.

Countblanc posted:

I haven't got my copy yet, but what happens when you fail a scenario? Do you just replay it with full knowledge of whats ahead?

Yes, if you got a treasure it doesn't reappear. you keep all xp and gold you got up until you [s]died[/] became exhausted. You just reset it and go again.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 13, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So when you level you get 1 card only?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Leveled up and got 3 checkmark at same time after 3rd scenario. Giddy at the options. Giddy like I haven't been at a game in a while.

Games really good guys. I can't believe there's tons of classes I don't even know anything about.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

To clarify the clarification your starting 'card pool is all the level 1 cards and three level X cards. You choose from these, the easy way being to pick up the level 1 cards and go.

A couple of the mindthiefs X cards are really good and replaced starting cards for me. Rat swarm was cool as a decoy that bites. But it just cannot keep up with you to get to the next room. Ditched it.

Now level 2....hmmmm tricky

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

You have mind control powers that can move your rats faster.

Hmmm true. Been using that to help buddies get to something to heal/kill it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I can check my email right now and tell you what shipping issues are happening in Spain and Canada, because he emails out like twice a week to everyone!

Dude sent an update saying it was going from mid Nov to late Nov.

MikeCrotch posted:

- Mindthief has a Move 2/Heal 2 bottom action which is a really useful top up
- Lots of stun and disarm to prevent attacks
- High damage to kill enemies before they can retaliate
- At least 1 card that provides invisibility

I am distinctly getting the impression that GH is a game where it is much, much better to avoid taking attacks at all via killing enemies and moving instead of attempting to go toe-to-toe with enemies via healing and shield.

Cool, while I leveled up I mixed up my card hand to get more damage and less healing.

I also feel like I should be taking more long rests, but the game's constant cardtime pressure makes it sound so bad. But its not and I should do it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah there were times that I looked back and went. drat we should have all long rested before kicking in that door.
Also I am squarely in the "OMG camp"

So rooms aren't revealed till you kick a door in. But you can really see it if you have the campaign book. Do you try not to peak at the rooms? Its hard when there are 2 side rooms and one has a chest in it. Real hard to not go that way.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I could have sworn you weren't supposed to know enemies are set up in a room until you open the door, would've drastically changed the way we played scenario 1. Is there something in the rulebook that says enemy type/placement is public knowledge while doors are closed?

I swear I read that too, but the standies reason makes sense. I've already run into not having enough standies to fill out a new room, in which case you just don't place them.

ShaneB posted:

You can use the PDF or app in the OP that allows you to reveal rooms as you advance.

This seems like the more fun way to play but could make you fail pretty easily if you go across a big room the wrong way. Movement can get precious near the end and my cool fantasy guy can murder an army and then take a nap from walking to the treasure chest.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Well upon review, it seems designer intent is that scenario components are public but specific placement of those components within the scenario is not. I thought I had read otherwise, but I just checked the FAQ thread on BGG. So you know if there are any treasure chests, and which enemy types are present, just not specifically where on the map stuff is.

So you are just supposed to not look too close. Weird, I guess the huge booklet would have to be 3x as big to reveal rooms individually. Gonna try the app next scenario for fun.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Sooooo.... people without the game yet. What are you playing in the mean time to take the edge off?

I'd recommend getting your last older dungeon crawls in. The hype is right, this pretty much fired Descent and others of the like for me. The card system is so much better then move and roll and repeat. Or don't because you have better coming.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i remember people recommending just leaving the game set up between sessions since setup/takedown is a big pain, but how much does an organizer alleviate that? i ask because there's no way my roommate would be fine with me monopolizing our only table for an indefinite period of time, and honestly i'll probably end up playing at places that aren't my house semi-regularly.

I built a kickin rad game table and its really nice just to leave games set up. Its probably not too bad, you are building a new tile maze and finding all the monsters and monster decks between scenarios anyway. I don't think "leaving it out" saves much time is what I'm trying to say.

Ive got all the tokens in a bead organizer and that works fine for gameplay, haven't tried putting everything away in the box yet...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

KYLE and ROCKMAN can be friends.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

They should have a reset set that gives you a new board and stickers and treasure page.

The only reason I would want to play again would be to go super bad reputation and see the different story. But I don't know now how much of them you see / lose out on based on how you play

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

There's some decisions early that feel like it's really branching the game. But I don't know if I took a different path it might just wrap back around and make me back on track.

No clue. It feels branching though so I could see wanting to go back to the start and going again.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oh that great. Do they all fall out when you close the box?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah you missed a rule. Your 'real' health is your cards going into the lost pile. Your health spinner just prevents you from losing cards.

Last night my daughter bought the iron helmet to protect against x2s. She got hit with 2 of them. Used her 6 attack blast on a boss on her last go before exhaustion and drew her own x2 to and we cheered. Praise the Temple of the Great Oak.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Impermanent posted:

it's wild how useful that iron helmet is. any character that gears up to tank tends to have it for at least a little while. too bad it has to compete with the goggles for AoE classes. The goggles are just too useful for (mild strategy spoiler) guaranteeing an entire round's worth of hits

Yeah Goggles on Cragheart is awesome. Too awesome to replace.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Im working towards the Ubisoft class, no idea if its good or what it even is or anything, but Im drat excited.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Eh, i've yet to be convinced on the helmet, i'm never a fan of purely reactive stuff in games for events that might not even come up. My partner took one since she's playing a Brute and wants to tank as much as possible. I'm saving up for the goggles eventually, well, when my devout mindthief isn't giving alms to the Church of the Little Rat.

Its reactive but not it doesn't get consumed. So you are just protected from nukes. You can really wade in to a fight with more calculated knowledge of how much you will get hit for.

Last night after a scenario we went back to gloomhaven and my 4 year old wanted to "give money to the Great Ogre for the good cards" :kiddo:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

http://www.cephalofair.com/gloomhaven-monster-spoilers

Try that for monsters? I think all the cards had a room tile on them, so you could count those. There is a lot of random junk tiles. For obstacles I just grab then, don't care if that box was supposed to be a barrel.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 15, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

How is it playing with your older daughter? Does anything trip her up in particular?

I think my son is going to adore this game. He loves stuff like warhammer adventure quest.

Caveat. She is a weirdo. Super smart, goes to a gifted school. She was playing simple games like Forbidden Island and castle panic at 4, and I mean playing them. She can sit down with me for 3 hours and play a game. At 7 she beats (not every time, and I'm not that good) me at Dominion and that Egyptian deck builder I cant remember the name of. She does get bogged down with too many systems in games, we play War of the Ring but theres a few too many things to keep track of in that for her. Reads 3.75 gradelevel.

That all said.

She loves it. Absolutely loves it. Mom and Grandma are getting annoyed because she wont shut up about it, she shows me the pictures of our team she drew as school. Game play is great. She tried tinkerer but got frustrated that the cards were situational, but that's the tinkerers fault not her's. Now she's the brute and having fun, she can set up moves to do the multihex attacks which is about max brute complexity.

Some concepts took some getting used to

-initiative number not meaning that card goes first.
-learning to actually take long rests(I had that problem too)
-needed reminders to use items- she has since bought items and looked over the whole shop for a LONG time, and is keenly aware and excited to use them all the time.
-needs reminders that she can discard a card instead of take damage
-Concept of infusing magic/then using it. Probably most complex for her.

These are all minor and after 4 scenarios I have completely stopped paying attention to her turns. Occasionally she yells 'NO I DIED' and I remind her to just discard. Surprisingly the concept of a discard pile and lost pile were instantly groked also the use one top / one bottom, no problems. Just the weird idea that her initiative card meant she had to play that one, I must have said something weird in the explanation.

We've played Imperial Assault and Descent and Mice&Mystics before and she picked this up way faster for some reason. I think its the written, MOVE 3 on cards as opposed to remembering the 8 actions you can do in other games. Along with the Heal cards reminding you that you can do that, push cards reminding you about that. Now that I type that I'm sure that's it. Your choices are clearly laid out and even when things get tough they are still clearly laid out with actually LESS choices. I'm pretty confident after some playing with the brute she will want a more complicated class, she's already eying spellweaver!

tldr: If your kid can read, I declare Gloomhaven kid friendly.

Note: my 4 year old plays too, meaning I pick the cards and she runs the damage deck and I give her choices where to, "OK you get to attack two guys next to you, you can move 2 spots, where do you want to go to get the guys." This is mostly to encourage her to have fun with games and she wanders off after a few rounds. This game actually works really really well for that. I can pick 2 characters turns in the time my 7 year old picks her cards.

Any more specific questions lemme know.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Goddamnit.

Thank you guys. As soon as I read "are you aware of the rule..." it came back to me. I'm fairly certain we would have died the first time anyway due to some strategy mistakes, but that most recent lost most definitely would not have happened. At least it makes me feel a bit better about not losing entirely due to strategy.

Good news though, the game isn't terrible!

Sinteres posted:

People talking about playing games with their kids is one of the only times I'm actually jealous of parents. That's super cute.

Its super fun, I always have a game group! And "Do your homework before you get to play Gloomhaven" Is a threat that totally works!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mine were all glued but a few pieces here and there weren't punched all the way, had to razor them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Do you take the cards out? They both force a reshuffle. It would mitigate randomness if you went though the whole deck every time. Vanilla you can theoretically miss-shuffle-miss-shuffle forever. Or crit-shuffle too.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 15, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Super glad I got in on this kickstarter.

Whats up with solo scenarios, someone said they were in the box. I didn't see then. Was that an add-on I didn't do? I saw them online posted by Issac on BGG

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Awesome, thank you!

My kid has trouble reading but I looked at the cards and think he should be ok with the limited text most cards have. Might need help on some of them.

Yeah, stick with Brute starting, its pretty move/attack based. I still get a lot of "what does adjacent mean?" questions. But there are some like cragheart which are just going to be wordsalad for any kid. Those are All Allies suffer damage then move 4 and attack all enemies moved through...avoid cragheart for him. Even though he looks like a badass rock guy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Ha, well I never thought it was terrible, but definitely more frustrating (in the bad way) than I expected. This obviously makes a big difference. I was pretty close to giving up on that character/difficulty level. Had flashbacks of Mice and Mystics, rolling terribly and dying over and over.

The advice is right about it being tough at first, I had 1 character in my 3 character party level up and everyone got a perk and suddenly things got WAY easier. I was considering bumping down the difficulty cause I have no shame and like having fun with games.

Feels good though, feels like our characters got through some adversity and are stronger for it. You also will never be that impotent again, you get to probably start at a higher level and bonus perks for every character you personally retire.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 15, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I'm planning to start at easy, at least until i get the hang of the game, but at least part of that is that I'm worried I'll bounce off the puzzle aspect of it and wish it was more of a conventional dice chucker. I definitely got it more for the campaign than for the mechanics, but I hope I'll like those too since that's kind of a big deal.

I don't think its too puzzlie, maybe later it will get that way. Is like a dice chucker with less randomness in your dice. and more randomness in what the monsters do. Their card can throw off your whole plan and you have to look at these 2 cards you committed too and see what you can do with them now.

Like I expected the guard to move and attack cause that's normal, but he Stood still and will retaliate if I hit him So now my big attack to kill him wont be a good idea.

Or do you mean hand management puzzle? These mechanics are so much better then a dice chucker I never want to go back. And I like(d) dice chuckers.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Mostly this. I honestly haven't played that many board games yet in general, so finding out the hard way that I don't like euro mechanics here would suck. I'm mostly worried about it feeling punishing if my choices aren't super optimal/having analysis paralysis as a result, but I guess that's why I'm starting on easy to make it more forgiving. There are some things that feel unthematic and gamey like movement being a finite resource even if there aren't any monsters around, or potentially missing out on loot for the same reason, but I think I can live with that aspect of it.

It's really not that bad. Just don't blow your cards that get lost early.

But it's about fun so start how you want and bump it up once you got your footing. Which I expect will be 1 scenario.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The walls look dumb. But then you put a door token on it and it looks correct. Unlike other games there's always doors between these tiles. If they connect to make a big room you have tiles to cover up the transition. Which again hides the weird looking edge.

I looks weird but works

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm in Washington State and got mine a week ago.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Red Shoe posted:

Remember that Retaliate doesn’t trigger if you kill the target!

Totally misplayed that. Rules say if they are exhausted or killed they don't hit back. What about stun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, good point. And I can always sleeve them later on down the line, I suppose. I'm not so much worried about them being in a pristine state; I just don't want any card wear to detract from gameplay.

For wear and tear. There's only a few things that get shuffled, and even those aren't very regular. If you sleeve your hand of cards likes 10ish sleeves a person, those get held a lot and swapped out irregularly so you can just change sleeves then. I might sleeve my hands and that's it with leftover sleeves I have lying around.