Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keldon
May 14, 2009
My copy showed up Friday. Unfortunately one of the punch boards appeared to have absolutely no glue. The only thing holding it together seemed to be that the cutting had pinched the layers together a bit. Once I punched the pieces they fell apart. Luckily there doesn't seem to be anything critical on that board, just some obstacles and damage tokens, and a big T map piece.

Played a couple of scenarios over the weekend with the family. My wife really enjoyed it, more than I expected. Son also enjoyed it, which I did expect. He was playing the Mindthief, however, which I knew he'd like, since "mind control" abilities are his favorite in whatever game he plays. Pity that I think he got the most complex character out of any of us (also had Brute and Tinkerer). I think mom and dad ended up deciding what he'd play almost every turn, but he was super excited when he mind controlled a bandit to walk to its death in a trap. Wife is already planning on freeing up time this evening for another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keldon
May 14, 2009

Ojetor posted:

• As per this BBG thread, use the foam that comes in the box to hold enemy standees. It's free and the cutting is really easy to do, just be careful you don't cut too deep.

This one was new to me. It's a little harder to fit everything in the second edition, since one of the foam pieces has a huge cutout for the health/XP dials. But I've managed to get everything but the bosses arranged and am done cutting one of them. Works great so far.

keldon
May 14, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I like a lot of things about this game but I definitely wasn't expecting the RNG to screw us as much as it has so far in so few plays. I'm sure poor strategy has been an issue too, but I really don't know what else I could have done.
Are you aware of the rule that you can lose a card from your hand (or two from discard pile) to cancel a source of damage? Dying in the first room of that scenario really shouldn't happen.

keldon
May 14, 2009

FunkMonkey posted:

So when people say some pieces weren't glued, what does that mean? Do they literally fall to pieces? Is it something you can easily fix yourself? It's got me a little worried.
Yeah, there's no glue between the two printed paper pieces and the cardboard in between. Once they were punched they promptly fell apart. I emailed Cepahlofair's support address and they say they'll send a replacement punchboard as soon as they have them. For the smaller tokens you could probably use a drop of glue to repair them in the meantime, but the big terrain tiles would likely warp unless you were sure to use a non-water based glue.

keldon
May 14, 2009
Anybody gotten to enhancing cards yet? We unlocked the ability last night, and so far have only done one: the Mindthief's Scurry. We added a +1 to the Move line, to more reliably trigger the Horned Helm's +1 attack. It's a stressful choice: it's very expensive, we can only enhance one card per class (so far), and we want to use a card that will always be useful even after more level ups.

We're thinking of adding Curse to one of the Tinkerer's area attacks. Dropping 3 misses in the monster deck has got to be nice. Not sure what card to go for with my Brute. The one I get the most use out of is Skewer, but adding a third hex seems bad, and while +1 attack would be nice I'm wondering if there's a better option.

keldon
May 14, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

Mine was delivered today. Having seen the box in pictures and videos and knowing it weighed 22 lbs, I still wasn't prepared for how hilariously enormous this thing is. I'm already in love :swoon:
Definitely. I've had my copy for almost a month now, and I still break out in laughter sometimes while looking over at the ridiculously sized box.

keldon
May 14, 2009
Yeah, in the first edition there were 10 of one monster (Vermling Scout?); now there's 6 of that one. It was probably $$$ to change the die cut pattern so they left it alone and just changed the printing.

keldon
May 14, 2009
As the Brute I'm usually the first one through a door. I typically use my Boots for +2 move since I don't know exactly where enemies will spawn. I try not to look too closely at the scenario book until we actually open the door. Then I run in and, if possible, blow up one of the enemies before it gets a turn. Usually this isn't a problem with Balanced Measure (attack for how much you moved, which is usually 6 after boots). If that's not in my hand for whatever reason I do the Attack 2/Disarm skill, or use my Warhammer to stun things. Since I'm the Brute I tend to have enough HP to deal with whatever attacks they manage to put out after that.

It's always an easy choice when I draw the battle goal to open a door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keldon
May 14, 2009

Cocks Cable posted:

Forgotten Circles Scenario 98. That was dumb. Three sessions in and Marcel is maybe 0.5 for 3 in somewhat enjoyable scenario design if I am being generous here.
I think I made it one scenario past this in Forgotten Circles before packing it up to never be played again. It really ruined my love for Gloomhaven overall, I'd say. I hear it gets better, but at this point I'm not sure I can bring myself to find out.