Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Aerox posted:

We played the first scenario last night and it was fun, but surprisingly difficult!

On the first go, we had two people run straight into the enemies and immediately get murderized (missing the rule about losing cards to prevent damage, but it wouldn't have made a difference because it was a disaster.) We immediately reset and had a pretty rough struggle but managed to squeak out a win at the end.

The only negative was one guy went down about 2/3rds of the way through and didn't have enough cards in his hand to save him, so the last hour was kind of a bummer for him. We all learned a lot and identified a bunch of misplays, and I'm hoping to get it to the table again soon.

The storage is rough, though. I'm storing map tiles in a big file folder I haul around, but getting individual pieces out is much more of a pain than I thought (even though I separated them by general type) and I put all the monster cards and standees in individually labeled envelopes, but the standees keep slipping out and scattering all over the box. Anyone have suggestions?

Go to your local hardware store, and get one or two of those big tacklebox-ish containers that get used for screws and stuff. We use one for terrain tiles, and another for standees, coins, and status tokens. This by itself will go a long way to making things more manageable. For the item deck, I advise getting one of those 4-cards-a-page card binders; it fits in the box nicely and is a lot easier to flip through while shopping.

Also, the first room is weirdly brutal, because you're not used to how things go, and they throw quite a few bandits at you. You'll get a feel for it quickly, and it won't be as disastrous going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Two (three?) quick questions:

- The Kickstarter is just for the standard game, right? If I buy the game, I'm not gonna miss a ton of Kickstarter-exclusive minis and extra content that won't be available normally? And do I assume correctly that if it's the only funding for reprints it might be very hard/expensive to get?

- What's this talk of sealed/spoilery content? Is it like the envelopes in Legacy games saying "Open if XYZ happens"?

There is *very* little that is kickstarter exclusive. I think it was literally just the layouts for a handful of solo adventures, which are probably going to be included in the expansion when that comes out, or available separately. And while the KS was for a reprint, it was also to print enough to get retail copies out there. Talk to your LGS about getting it ordered.

It is, yes. You're unlocking adventures as you complete adventures, most of the classes in the game are initially unavailable until a character completes their personal quest and retires, there's various storylines and quest paths, there's stuff that you'll only find by having the right person with you when a particular town/road event comes up, and there's some stuff that unlocks under given conditions like high/low party reputation, or donating a bunch to the church, or so on and so forth.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Wow. This game is great.

This is going to live on my game table for a long time. Playing with my daughter's. We got.

Rockman the Crabheart
Bubon the Mindfreak
SuperPunch the Brute

Right now I have enough room for everything but it seems like quickly the scenarios are going to get bigger.

Do you guys only pull out the Gloomhaven map when you go back? I have a wild idea of framing it and hanging it on the wall...like a map. You don't do more with it later other then a sticker reference sheet right?

At least as far as I've gone, it's just a sticker reference sheet. So unless there's a sudden mind-bending massive twist, which I find incredibly unlikely, you'll be perfectly safe to do that.

And while the scenarios *do* get bigger, it's not terribly common that they get especially huge, because the basic mechanics of exhaustion limit how big a map can be.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Would people be adverse to me posting class summaries of the starting classes in here? I don't have personal experience with the Scoundrel or the Brute, but I think an overview of what the classes play like could be helpful.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

You should probably say what symbol is behind those spoilers, because otherwise people have no clue whether they've unlocked what you're talking about until they actually look over the spoiler.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Please do!

Alright then, let's go for it:

Inox Brute: This guy does pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the name. He's a fairly self-sufficient tanky melee guy (with a couple ranged options)--he doesn't particularly care about elements being set, or about status effects, he's there to hit people, and get hit back. He does come with a good chunk of melee AoE, which is useful, but not quite as good as it looks, because it's hard to get full value out of it. He's generally pretty high-initiative (by which I mean he is slow), but he does have a handful of faster cards to pair with his slow ones.

Human Scoundrel: This is another class that is more or less what you expect--speedy high-damage melee. Besides having low initiatives on a lot of its cards, the scoundrel also has multiple cards with Move 5 on the bottom half--they're the most maneuverable starting class by far, and they excel at getting things dead and scooping up giant mounds of loot. That said, they can't quite do it alone--a lot of their damage is locked behind their target either being next to one of your allies (yay, flanking), or not being next to any of its allies. So if you're going 2-player and the other person is, say, the Spellweaver, the Scoundrel just isn't going to work that well. Like the Brute, the Scoundrel is pretty element-independent.

Savvas Cragheart: The Cragheart is weird, and is the starter class that I played (you will not be forgotten, Arngor Hammerheart). He has a large hand size, as much health as the Brute, and sloooow initiatives... but he also has both melee and ranged AoE that have some friendly fire, abilities that play around with obstacles, and some guaranteed damage abilities. There's a lot of different directions that you can go with him--I personally went mostly for melee, with some obstacle stuff scattered in--there's an X card, Heaving Swing, that lets you punch people straight through obstacles for extra damage, which owns. Early on, you're mostly going to care about Earth--you both set and consume it--but as time goes on the importance of that drops off by quite a bit. I definitely had a lot of fun manipulating the battlefield, punching cultists through their unholy altars, and just generally being a big pile of rocks.

Orchid Spellweaver: The Spellweaver is, fairly obviously, the mage of the starting classes. You have a tiny health pool, and a pretty tiny hand as well--only 8 cards--of which a bunch of cards are loss abilities. What keeps you going, though, is Reviving Ether, which recovers all of your lost cards. So you'll end up blowing through your hand, pausing for a refresh, and then blowing through it again. The loss cards have plenty of power to make up for being losses--you have a lot of multi-target nukes, and the Spellweaver gets lots of experience, so they'll rocket up the levels rather quickly. They have stuff that cares about every element out there, so you're going to be keeping an eye on the element board a lot--you're heavily rewarded for doing so.

Quatryl Tinkerer: The support of the starting classes, the Tinker has average health, pretty average initiative, and a 12-card hand, the largest of any of the six. Unlike the Brute or Cragheart, though, he has a fair number of loss cards, without a way to get them back like the Spellweaver does. True to theme, the Tinkerer kind of has a lot of different gadgets throwing out different effects--net shooters to immobilize people, poison darts, ink bombs, healing sprays, so on and so forth--he can put out quite a bit of damage when he wants to, although he has to pace that against how much more dungeon there is. He also gets summons, which our Tinkerer focused on. The initial Decoy doesn't have an attacks and just runs around taking damage, but the later ones can put on some pretty good hurt, when properly timed. Doesn't consume any elements, but a fair number of his cards set them incidentally.

Vermling Mindthief: the Mindthief is as squishy as the Spellweaver, and a melee character to boot. To make up for it, though, the Mindthief does great, consistent damage, and throws around status effects. His main gimmick is Augments--cards that get played and stay in play, modifying all of the Mindtthief's melee attacks until they switch it up for a different augment (and a later card lets you have two augments at once!)--at level one, your bread-and-butter augment gives all of your melee attacks +2 attack, which means you're consistently hitting hard, especially when you pair it with cards that do more damage the more status effects your victim has. In the right circumstances you can just gib people. The Mindthief, being a Mindthief, also has abilities to control enemies, making them move or attack against their will, or just making them act as an ally for a turn. Or you can just blow up their head sending bone shard shrapnel all over the place, whatever works. The Mindthief sets and consumes Ice, mostly to stun people, which is the best status effect in the game. Also has summons, but they're not really worth using.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Nice writeup.

My Brute Mindtheif Cragheart team seems like it could really use a scoundrel or spellweaver, a striker. We are barley eeking out scenarios with 'luck' or 1 person exhausted and the other too with hands of 4 cards, which if you have played means you have 2 rounds left or so and it might be time to nuke your way out. Still when we saw a Boss and its health we were shocked.

Or is it just balanced like that? keep hearing how well balanced it is.

Also I find mindthief constantly has heal 2 attached to you know, not die, instead of +2.

Early on it is, but as you get a better grasp of the game you'll have more leeway. Doesn't mean it can't get tight, though, we still have times where we only barely scrape by.

Also, remember that the best healing is your enemy being dead before they get to attack :coal:.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

What does the Mindthief have for damage mitigation/reduction if he has caster squishiness but is also melee?

I'll probably play that or Scoundrel since in two tabletop RPGs I'm in I'm essentially a brute in one and a warlock in the other. In the group of 4 I'll have for this, I have a feeling the Brute will sound too plain for anyone to pick. Would that leave a Mindthief too open to being focused and gibbed?

edit: About how many scenarios does a character last for? Can you swap in and out before retiring one? Wondering how many classes I'll actually get to try throughout a full playthrough of this.

Mainly he has just straight-up murdering people who are close to him before they can attack. There's items that help as well. If the Cragheart is in your party, he'll probably end up doing the tanking. If you go without Cragheart *or* Brute, you're going to be relying a lot on alpha strikes--but you'll be pretty good at pulling them off.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I haven't got my copy yet, but what happens when you fail a scenario? Do you just replay it with full knowledge of whats ahead?

That's correct--the only penalty is feeling sad. You don't even have to go back to town if you don't want to, you can just play it again without needing to do a town or road event, and you'll be at full health with refreshed items.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I also feel like I should be taking more long rests, but the game's constant cardtime pressure makes it sound so bad. But its not and I should do it.

You'll find your tempo for resting eventually. The main thing to keep in mind is that when possible, you always want to long rest rather than short rest--it heals you, it refreshes your items, and it's actually letting you stick around for more turns that short rest does. You short rest when you need to rest but it isn't safe to do so, or when you need a particular card back for next turn and drat the consequences. There's plenty of times we'll have someone long rest while the rest of us are still fighting; as long as it's not throwing things too out of whack it's fine.

Also, I just want to say that it gives me warm fuzzies inside every time I see someone new give their first impressions of "HOLY poo poo GLOOMHAVEN IS GOOD YOU GUYS".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The content of all of the rooms is public information--everyone can look at the scenario book if they want. We typically just set up all the rooms, and keep in mind which ones have been opened and which ones haven't.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sleeve your actual ability cards, because those are sitting in your hands a lot and they *will* start to feel kind of gross otherwise.

That's pretty much the only thing that needs it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

misguided rage posted:

Hoping to get it on the table tonight!!

Nice! Make sure to report back!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

We attempted scenario 72 Oozing Grove today. I say attempted because it is one of the few scenarios to hand us a loss. Checked online and yep, everyone else agrees that it's one of the handful of difficulty spikes in the game. Had the Spellweaver, the Sun class, and the Eclipse class, and we just couldn't keep up with it.

But hey, I killed a bunch of elites so I'm super close to my second retirement and unlocking the two-box class now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just started playing last night, nearly team wiped on the first round of the game until I reread some of the rules :downs:
Probably a dumb question but when a card has an extra effect that just says it 'deals damage', like the Cragheart has a bunch of these that deal 1 damage or 2 damage adjacent to himself, is that damage effected by Shield? How about stuff like Potions of Power, those shouldn't have any effect on that damage right?

Those only apply to damage from actual attacks. So yes, the Cragheart has a lot of ways to deal damage that is 100% guaranteed. Retaliate also only triggers on actual attacks.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Don't do separate campaigns, that *will* be a mess. And it's entirely viable for people to drop in/drop out, scenario level scales.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, she can only do it once, and that card specifically cannot be recovered once lost. She's on one of the strictest times in the game.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Are you planning on actually keeping both campaigns going at once? Otherwise I'd say just do the solo stuff for a bit without actually stickering things, and then play through with your group as normal.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'd recommend just tracking it as two different world, yeah. Not going to be particularly satisfying for your friends if you've already gone and looted the end-of-scenario rewards for yourself in another campaign.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

There's nothing stopping you from going back to the same class with the same name after you retire. You just happened to remember your *other* personal motivation after you got the previous one dealt with. (Also the benefits of having someone retired are really nice).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

keldon posted:

Anybody gotten to enhancing cards yet? We unlocked the ability last night, and so far have only done one: the Mindthief's Scurry. We added a +1 to the Move line, to more reliably trigger the Horned Helm's +1 attack. It's a stressful choice: it's very expensive, we can only enhance one card per class (so far), and we want to use a card that will always be useful even after more level ups.

We're thinking of adding Curse to one of the Tinkerer's area attacks. Dropping 3 misses in the monster deck has got to be nice. Not sure what card to go for with my Brute. The one I get the most use out of is Skewer, but adding a third hex seems bad, and while +1 attack would be nice I'm wondering if there's a better option.

Enhancing cards isn't going to be a frequent thing, just because of how much it costs. Because of that, you aren't really going to just add +1 damage to things--it just isn't very efficient, and making a big number bigger is actually usually going to be worse than upping a small one. On the Cragheart the one upgrade I had while I was playing the character (I took one after cashing out my stuff before retiring as well, but never played with it) was upgrading Heaving Swing from Push 1 to Push 2, which made it so much better for shoving people through rocks or into traps. On my current character, my two upgrades are both for movement, which has done wonders for being able to do my thing.

For the brute in particular, I think I'd look for a good status effect--and remember, multi-target cards cost more to upgrade.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Womyn Capote posted:

Is this something I can play with just me and my wife or will we be missing a lot with just 2 players?

It plays perfectly fine at two players, the scaling is really well-done.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, that is one where I would honestly just dig out the other card to unlock that class and switch to it, because it *will* take forever otherwise.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Spoiler for the conclusion of Scenario #4 It unlocks two areas and presents you with two choices, do you get locked out of anything based on what you choose?

Answer: Not for this particular one. There are choices in this game that will be mutually exclusive, though it will be pretty obvious as to what those are.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 1, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Flying Leatherman posted:

Finally got the game set up and organized. Can't speak highly enough of the Broken Token organizer, I know it seems pricy but it's worth every penny.

First scenario went well. Like a poster on the last page, I'm on a Cragheart/Tinkerer team and it worked awfully well - we had the Cragheart tanking damage and doing AoE stuff and the Tinkerer blowing a couple big heals and refresh cards to sustain. I still almost got murdered in the last room after rolling a -1 on a big aoe damage spell though :v:

Quick questions that I couldn't find in the rulebook - do you refresh all of your cards/health when moving to a new scenario?

That's correct. The only difference with linked scenarios, if you choose to do them in immediate sequence, is that because you don't go back to town, you don't level or have a chance to shop, and you won't get a city or road event.

Also, retired my Eclipse character yesterday (fun class) for the two-model class, and oh man, this looks like so much fun. So far we've opened Sun, Eclipse, Saw, and Two-Model, and I'm consistently impressed by how distinct all of the classes are. This game is so goddamn good, comparing other dungeon crawlers to it almost feels like a Plato's Cave situation.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Moonwolf posted:

Sorry, this went on the bottom of the last page. But really, wth is with this, nothing else has been this dumb.

As far as I can tell, Scenario 72 is pretty much regarded as the most difficult scenario in the game. We failed, but the gist of what we did with a three-person party of Eclipse, Sun, and the Spellweaver, was We blitzed the snakes and imps first, and then turned towards the trees. I think you really, really need multiple AoE characters to pull that one off. When we lost it was because we ran into a horrific sequence of Split->Heal->Split->Heal that just generated too many enemies for us to mow down.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

ITS HERE!!!!!!!

Happy birthday!

Now come on, give us all your first impressions of the box, its size, and how much stuff is inside it, I can't get enough of people seeing/playing Gloomhaven for the first time :allears:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, make sure you're opening the door with enough movement left to adapt to the situation. It's not very heroic, but opening the door and then immediately backing off can go a long ways.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Add +1 Push to Heaving Swing. It only costs 30 gold, and it gives you so much more flexibility for punching people into traps or through multiple obstacles. If you line it up right that becomes an Attack 3 + 4 guaranteed damage, which is huge for a level 1 non-loss card.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

If it's on the card that you stick in the sleeve to tell you stats, then yes, that's an inherent part of the monster. Flame Demons, for example, have Armor and Retaliate no matter what, and their elites start to become real bastards to deal with as the levels go up. Completely regardless of initiative, they will always punch back unless you killed them with that attack (I hate them so much).

If it's on the action card they flip over for that turn, they don't get the benefit until they actually perform their action. So if there's an enemy that's flipping over something like, Armor 2 Retaliate 2, you can still sneak in and stab them before they have a chance to get ready, and they won't have either benefit.

An attack modifier card is what you flip over when they're executing an actual attack--the +0s and +1s and whatnot. The monster deck doesn't get modified (thank god, that would be clunky and weird), so it will only ever be pluses or minuses.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yes, shields stack.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

My friend's KS order came in this week, which means I got the solo scenarios! :toot: I did the one for the two-model class today. It was a lot of fun!

Being split up rom my bear meant that I had to make some significant changes to my playstyle, and it really made me realize just how good the Beast Tyrant's ability to disarm people is. When I busted through to the second room, I was able to disarm both Rending Drakes and got lucky on damage, so they never actually got attacks off. And the mirror match at the end really took it from good to great. I did make a pretty bad miscalculation, though--when I built my hand for the scenario, I forgot to grab any of the cards that command the bear to actually move. Because of how things shook out, he was still chilling near the start when I burst through to the final room, so I had to spend a little bit running away from the enemy to the safety of my bear friend, but I pulled through alright, and we showed that rear end in a top hat who's the real beastboss around here. And the reward for doing it is really nice; not sure whether it'll be better for *really* mauling someone, or for helping the Beast Tyrant keep up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Our communication is typically along the lines of "I've got that guy", "I'm going fast", "stay close to me", and "can someone set *element*?".

When cards are revealed and people are making their actual moves, there's a bit more communication along the lines of "Oh god please don't stand there", because while we could all look over each others cards and math things out silently, that doesn't really add to the game.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The obstacle stuff is good, although I didn't use the card you're referencing. There'll be better stuff for it later on, but one card that should 100% be in your deck if you're doing the obstacle build is Heaving Swing, and as soon as you unlocking enchanting you should boost it to Push 2. It only costs 30g and it makes it do ridiculous guaranteed damage, and also helps a lot for shoving enemies into traps.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Are the rune messages something we're meant to decode on our own, or is the translation key an unlock at some point?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

I thought the alphabet was included in the box on a sheet.

I got one of the retail copies from the first wave, so I don't have it. Thanks!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Moon class is rad. Saw is also cool, but moon is sweet.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

If a usually melee monster uses a ranged attack, it would still move away from a melee ranged focus, right? Does a melee player character need to use the ranged part of an ability or does that fall under one of the things you can ignore (so don't need to move)?

Yes, it will step back to do its ranged attack, assuming it has a move beforehand.

quote:

Does a Mindthief's Augment always count as being played even if you are choosing the bottom action of the card?

The Augment is specifically part of the top action. Bottom action doesn't involve it at all.

quote:

Using Gloomy Companion and a monster had Heal 3 but it didn't give a Range or say Self. Is that a self heal?

Yes, that's correct, it's a self heal.

quote:

Using Invisibility on Mindthief makes me invisible after I use it on that turn and I'm still invisible next turn and it wears off at the end of the round?

It wears off at the end of your next turn. So say you go fast to set invisibility--for the rest of that round, you're invisible. The next turn, if you were the first person to act, your invisibility would wear off before anyone else acted. Swinging from fast to slow initiative is part of maximizing invisibility.

quote:

If I stun someone before they have a turn, they miss their turn this round and the next round?

That's correct! Stuns are nasty

quote:

I played solo so I followed table on page 16 and made the monster level 1 meaning I used the 1 version on all the monster sleeves. But I also see in the first time setup guide on BGG that it says to set the monsters to 1 in step 19. I assume that's instructions for a group though so wouldn't it be level 0 on the sleeves?

The only way you'll ever end up using level 0 monsters is if you're playing on 'easy', which sets the difficulty and rewards one step lower. Default for a party of level one people would be level one monsters.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

drat that guy who stuns a monster for two turns is walking on some serious easy street.

Shiiiiiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

An example would be Spare Dagger for the Brute. Attack 3 Range 3 XP 1. Manual says you can ignore parts of an ability as long as they aren't negative. Range is a positive attribute I'd say. I guess you can ignore it meaning you can't attack a far away target but then does the Attack 3 become a melee attack? If it does then I think you should be able to ignore the disadvantage. The only other solution would be that by ignoring the Range, you must also ignore the Attack meaning card just gives you 1 XP.

The ranged is an innate part of that particular attack. What ignoring parts of an ability here means is that, for example, imagine you had an ability that was Move 2 Attack 2, and there was an enemy you wanted to get up next to. However, that enemy set up Retaliate 20 before your initiative came up. You would still be able to use the move part of the ability without being forced to use the attack.