Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am not going to read that post because I don't want to know anything about the game before starting and just say

:f5: WHY IS MY SHIPMENT SCHEDULED FOR DELIVERY THE DAY BEFORE PAX WHAT THE gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Sooooo.... people without the game yet. What are you playing in the mean time to take the edge off?

Container

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So without reading too much of the thread, how viable is this game to change player counts throughout the game? A buddy of mine wants to join our campaign, but I am itching to get things rolling before next week. Can we do separate campaigns or is that a mess?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It has been a hot minute since I posted in this thread but I want to say gently caress oozes

Bombadilillo posted:

God help you if they split on their first card.

Oh hey as a member of Johnny Truants group I can confirm they did as we entered the last room it sucked!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How many scenarios are people doing before their first retirement, roughly?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we have 2 people at 50% done, one at 75% done, and me hangin around hoping to unlock missions in the dagger forest but every one we have unlocked is blocked for other reasons

:negative:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ajon posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18fZc--LSrynd9P-3r96l3bnpcx8AnWLgr_ZE_1oULLo/edit?usp=sharing

Here's my campaign tracker sheet. It's cobbled together from a few different sources, but works perfectly for my group. It should be spoiler free. New items you have to add manually from the wiki if you want to keep track of them.

Dang I might snag this it's pretty slick. I need to print out one of those scenario trackers too because, while it was easy to keep track before, we have a bunch right now that have quite a few conditionals before being able to access so I need to start mapping them out.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Our mindthief has an item that gives them 99 initiative when it comes to targeting, which has been really helpful in getting them up in there to murder scrubs with much less risk

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Doesn't donating once(10g) only get you a single blessing for the next scenario?

remember how I said I was rereading the rules? :D

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jesus christ no thank you that scenario looks like hell

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Having cards pulled from my hand whenever a living spirit, which the boss is and spawns, attacks me is dumb as hell

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

If you're on a spot where a monster is supposed to spawn do they spawn adjacent or not at all?

Depends.

Spawning: Monster spawned by the scenario effect. This monster will spawn, regardless of if you block the spawn hex. They will spawn at the closest hex

Summoning: Monster summoned by another monster. This monster will not spawn if there is not an empty adjacent hex or there are no standees. Summon monsters never act the round they are summoned, and they do not drop money on death.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

A question, and a bit of a whinge.

Can you poison or otherwise put negative conditions on inanimate objects? Like if the goal is to break something with a lot of hitpoints that is not a monster, can I stick poison on it to make the job go faster?

I just finished up my first personal goal of the game, and all the other players have completed about two and a half of them in that time. By the time I finished, I had levelled from level 1 to level 9, and I had every perk I could possibly earn. I'm gonna spoil the rest 'cause it's a specific whinge about the personal goal:

It was the "witness your party members get exhausted 15 times" one. I picked it first 'cause I figured we were just learning the game and we'd fail a lot, but nope, we've only actually failed a mission one time. I was really close to just deciding that I had met the goal and retiring the character by the end of it, and we cheesed it a bit at the end by having characters wait around to exhaust rather than completing the mission - I didn't want to tell the rest of the party that we should jack up the difficulty just so we can fail. Judging by the other personal goals, I think something like witnessing 6 exhausted party members would be closer in duration to them, and that'd be pretty bad in a smaller-party game.

That goal sounds absolutely horrible and I think it should not exist.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Be prudent with your “loss” cards. Since they don’t come back, they effectively reduce your returning card count and turn count faster.

With mindthief, you can pick up your augments and put them in your discard pile at any time. Use this when you would rest and have an odd number of cards in hand to have an even number instead, giving you an extra turn.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Hey where does it say my mind thief can discard their augment at any time?

Page 26, "Active Effects"

quote:

Even though a bonus card is placed in the active area, it is still considered discarded or lost, depending on whether the action also contains an (LOST) symbol. At any time, these cards can be moved to the appropriate pile, however, doing so immediately removes any bonuses that were being applied by the card.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

This also applies to summons, in which case the summon vanishes as soon as you decide to move the action card into the appropriate pile.

ya know in theory I think I knew this but in practice I never do it even when it will cost me 2XP not to

:negative:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Don’t forget you can lose a card from your hand to ignore damage if needed

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Cool. And what’s the deal with treasure chests and money tokens left over after you complete the scenario objective? If you have cards left can you walk over can get them? Or do you straight lose the treasure chest?

Once the objective is complete and that round ends, the scenario is over. Everything left is lost. You can opt to replay a scenario to recover a chest if you’d like

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

What's this about disadvantage wrt ranged attacks?

Ranged attacks get disadvantage at melee range

There are a lot of rules in this game

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ojetor posted:

Ranged attacks have disadvantage against adjacent targets.

If a monster is performing a ranged attack and is adjacent to one of it's targets, it will move away (if possible) in order to not have disadvantage.

Yeah, that's correct. I know a lot people think it's gamey and not flavorful, but it really helps add tension to the game. It makes choosing to go loot a treasure chest an actual decision, and it makes looting something a character can be good (or bad) at.

Also <treasure spoiler> there are treasure chests that specifically do damage or inconvenience you, meaning that if you could get them at the end of the scenario they would be meaningless if they hurt you

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gejimayu posted:

I might be totally misreading this, but I believe you're saying that you don't get experience for summoning a summon until it dies or is lost, and if thats what You're saying, I believe you're mistaken. All of the cards that I'm aware of give you the experience as soon as you summon it.

Hm. Not sure where I got the idea it was the opposite. Luckily I don’t summon much then :v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow will be the first time we have somebody complete their personal goal. Maybe spoiler? Hopefully we unlock a new class before they get there :v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I definitely feel adding enhancements to lower level cards is the way to go, and the system itself kind of encourages that

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God drat we just played through a hellishly obnoxious scenario. Party of 4, cruising along just fine early on until we reached a point where poo poo got absolutely terrible. We managed to scrape by with our Cragheart, Tinkerer, and Spellweaver exhausted. Our mindthief pulled it out on her last turn, with 1HP, only by complete luck having some enemies pull poorly from the attack mod and the monster action deck. It was so tense it felt exhausting by the end

I wanna play again already :f5h::f5:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also god drat it seems like no matter what we do we never end up in the Dagger Forest which sucks because 2 of our personal quests basically require going there. The one we have available is blocked by a prerequisite :negative:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Same. We only get to play once every week or two and we've only done the first two scenarios and are currently in the middle of our first random. If this Saturday doesn't fall through we should have two people getting to level 2. We're all a long long way from retiring anyone.

Our group is still hype about the game though. I really like my Mindthief.

Speaking of level 2 Mindthief cards, it appears that one of them is vastly better than the other. Am I missing something? I stared at them for 5 full minutes and just could not see how they were ostensibly equally useful.

<Mindthief Level 2> Yes, Hostile Takeover is significantly better and it's not close. Summons suck and melee summons extra suck. Wretched Creature is absolutely horrible.

Tekopo posted:

As much as I like my current character I'm actually interested in retiring him relatively soon, just excited to find new stuff to use/play the game differently.

This is kinda where I'm at. I love Tinkerer, the utility it brings and the strong healing is absolutely bonkers, but after 15 or so scenarios I am ready to start punching dudes instead. One day..

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was easily able to pick up 53g yesterday between 10g reward, 4g road event, and the rest from the level 3 scenario we played without actively ignoring the game to do so. at end game scenario will be 4-5 if everyone is at 9, so 5g per pickup is pretty good. Up the difficulty a little and get more money. :shrug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Under no conditions can an obstacle block the only passage in a scenario

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

So wait. If we clear the first room, then someone opens the door to the second room and goes invisible (effectively becoming an obstacle to enemies) what happens?

IF you block the door and are invisible, you aren’t an obstacle you are just acting as a wall.

If enemies can not reach your allies with infinite movement based on the current configuration (ie they are melee and you are invisible blocking the door) they have no focus and can’t move

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do y’all look at the cards for each class before picking a new one, or just go in blind?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The guest scenarios where there are special rules and half a page of text for every single door in the scenario when there are 4-5+ doors get really annoying and disrupt the flow a lot. Say what you will about the number of "kill everything" scenarios, at least they flow well and we have a general idea what to do going in rather than having to feel it out how things change every door.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yep!I think it's right under the scenario name

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If minor stamina potion gave 1 card it would be never bought. 2 cards gives you 1 extra turn. 1 card would be okay I guess for classes with an odd hand size, but otherwise it would be horrible

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Like I think it would still be fine compared to minor heal or power, but beyond that I don’t think I would ever bring a stam potion if that’s the case

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mostly think the heal/power potions are underpowered than the sta is overpowered. If the stam potion didn’t exist I wouldn’t buy the healing or power potions instead

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That’s fair, maybe it’s colored by my relatively limited experience so far

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why would you be actively avoiding your battle goal?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

I need to actually read the rulebook for this game sometime

overrated imo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

Also to clarify, advantage doesn't have "downsides". It is a positive or a normal outcome.
I really don't get why people freak out about that rule.

You take two things that are supposed to be explicitly good: gaining advantage and rolling modifiers, and making them bad if you pull the miss. That is lovely and it feels bad. This game is absolutely amazing, but that doesn't mean there aren't some poor design decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've read this a dozen times and I cannot parse it. Are there locations that do NOT have scenarios?

So basically if it's like

"You did the thing and maybe it would help to go to the place (85)(43)(32)"

it's giving you plot direction but if you don't have scenario 85 unlocked, you can't do scenario 85

If in the rewards it is

New Location
Black Barrow (1) [g-10]

Then you've unlocked the location