Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm really excited and also really nervous that my copy's going to have hosed up components. Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

They should have a reset set that gives you a new board and stickers and treasure page.

The only reason I would want to play again would be to go super bad reputation and see the different story. But I don't know now how much of them you see / lose out on based on how you play

I haven't decided if I'm going all in on legacy or not yet as far as marking up the board, but if I do finish the campaign and want to play anything I was locked out of, I'm not going to feel any shame about going back to do it anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

Has anyone with the solo scenario book gotten their shipment yet? I'm in US / VA, if that makes a difference. About to go out of town for a week for Thanksgiving and right now I figure the box is most likely going to arrive the day after I leave.

I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow, and I'm also on the east coast.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My shipment got delayed at the last minute. :negative: I'd literally been counting down the days like a child waiting for his birthday.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People talking about playing games with their kids is one of the only times I'm actually jealous of parents. That's super cute.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's going to be $120.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Super glad I got in on this kickstarter.

Whats up with solo scenarios, someone said they were in the box. I didn't see then. Was that an add-on I didn't do? I saw them online posted by Issac on BGG

Yeah they were an add on. You can get the scenarios for free, and print out the cards that go with them, so it was just an optional thing for people who want production quality components for everything.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm planning to start at easy, at least until i get the hang of the game, but at least part of that is that I'm worried I'll bounce off the puzzle aspect of it and wish it was more of a conventional dice chucker. I definitely got it more for the campaign than for the mechanics, but I hope I'll like those too since that's kind of a big deal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Or do you mean hand management puzzle? These mechanics are so much better then a dice chucker I never want to go back. And I like(d) dice chuckers.

Mostly this. I honestly haven't played that many board games yet in general, so finding out the hard way that I don't like euro mechanics here would suck. I'm mostly worried about it feeling punishing if my choices aren't super optimal/having analysis paralysis as a result, but I guess that's why I'm starting on easy to make it more forgiving. There are some things that feel unthematic and gamey like movement being a finite resource even if there aren't any monsters around, or potentially missing out on loot for the same reason, but I think I can live with that aspect of it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

screech on the beach posted:

Got my copy today and spent the last 2 hours or so getting everything punched, only had 1 board split about halfway like there wasn't any adhesive on it at all. Also pretty much every single map tile with a wall/hallway looks like this picture. Is it supposed to be like that?

I know this game is insane value for content, but it really says something about how bad the component issues are this time that only having one board fall apart on day one is a win.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mine came in today, and fortunately the worst issue I had with the punch boards was a little bit of peeling on a few pieces that didn't quite want to come out. I probably could have been a little more careful,, but it's not really a big deal and that was a lot of cardboard to get through.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This is the best board game I've ever played, which was a relief because I was concerned that it was going to be too complicated, but I've pretty much perma-shelved it (unless circumstances change) just because of what a pain in the rear end it is to set up a game and what a disaster it makes of my house if I try leaving it out to mitigate that. My unbelievably poor organizational skills certainly aren't helping, but limited table space and difficulty getting anyone to regularly play also contribute. I'd love to find an opportunity to play it more regularly in the future, but it just feels like playing something less insanely huge (and therefore with more rapid progress) is more likely to pay off for me in the foreseeable future. I kind of feel ashamed about abandoning it though, so this is basically my confession post.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Set up a gaming room?

My house has a "dining room" that has essentially become the library / game room, and we just leave stuff set up in there 24/7.

Not really an option where I live now, but I'd love to have the space for that in the future. I guess something I should try is playing the Tabletop Simulator version since it's approved by Isaac, and I could more easily keep out enough stuff to keep track of campaign progress than all the rest.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Miftan posted:

We recently discovered that the TTS got a huge update since we started using it and is scripted to such a ridiculous degree that it's dropped 30-60 minutes off our game time. It's great.

That sounds rad, I'll definitely give it a shot. My friend who's most into the game is always on Steam, so I should be able to talk him into it.

Piell posted:

Try using Gloomhaven Helper, it cuts down the physical setup (both in time and space) by like half.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. I doubt I've actually played my last physical game of Gloomhaven, but right now I'm kind of sick of seeing it on my table (and want to try some other things), so I'm going to wait until I'm excited to give that another shot again.

KingKapalone posted:

Not having people to play with is another thing completely but sort of a requirement to the hobby. Can always try meetups though if it's important enough to you.

It's not that I don't have anyone to play games with, or even that nobody wants to play this specific game. I've just had a hard time getting any kind of consistent scheduling going, I live kind of far from most of my friends, and I haven't been packing it up to travel with when it's my turn to head elsewhere, though leaving it at a better organized friend's house may end up being a solution if TTS doesn't work out.

KingKapalone posted:

And get better at organizing.

Still not a bad idea in general though. I'm sure this won't be the last game where being organized would be helpful.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 24, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

Well, yeah. I agree - it is pessimistic. But, two things: first, there doesn't seem to have been any acknowledgement that these aspects were weak and that they want to improve them, as opposed to just giving us more of the stuff I don't like. Second, I'm giving them the benefit of the assumption that the tactical combat poo poo will be top notch and for the same reason I expect that the puzzles will not be. I'll be happy to be wrong because I'm almost certainly buying it!

Even if it comes out and is weaker than the core game, it's probably still pretty good. If it's only and 8/10 instead of a 9.5/10 like the base game, that's still an easy buy for me.

Isaac has definitely talked about wanting to improve the narrative for the sequel. It may or may not end up being an improvement, but it's something he's aware could use some work. He'll probably always be a puzzle nerd though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Isaac isn’t doing Forgotten Circles, the main “guest scenario” person Marcel C is

Yeah, I know. i'm just saying doing something different with the narrative is a goal beyond just this expansion, so if the 'something different' here ends up working, maybe it'll be incorporated in the second campaign too. I imagine there's at least some degree of interaction in the process.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OK what I'm hearing is that fractions are functionally fine because any other convention quickly develops into fractions as the playgroup learns what you mean by "very slow" or "slow" etc.

I used fractions, but imo you probably don't get want to much more specific than halves or thirds. If you start saying you'll go in the 2nd 10th of the round, you start to get to a point where you may as well just be using open info. It's all a judgment call though, so whatever doesn't feel like cheating to you is fine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Crossposting from the kickstarter thread, but are any of you who never finished the original campaign backing Frosthaven because you can't resist collecting and/or are still hoping for the perfect situation where you'll have more time/friends so you can play them both?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think my plan is to see if I can get anyone to play Jaws of the Lion, since clutter and my lovely organizational skills were as big a hurdle for me as finding a reliable group, and then deciding from there if I want to go back and try again with the original campaign or just upgrade to Frosthaven. Frosthaven sounds super cool (the premise sounds way more interesting to me than the original), and I really really want to back it, but knowing I have between one and two other Gloomhavens to play before then probably makes it insane not to wait for retail.

The group I was playing the original game with, the other couple split up right before we did the final scenario. Hopefully this one i can start over with new friends.

Ouch, that really sucks. Did you try doing the last scenario solo on TTS or something?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You can undo moves. IMO playing Gloomhaven on TTS is easier than playing it on a table (which isn't to say it's necessarily more fun), though being bad at organizing and having limited table space probably color my perspective there.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cocks Cable posted:

They do look a little too cartoon-ish and clip-artsy. The only one that really bothers me is the clam because of the lazy crop job.

Yeah I mean it doesn't "matter" in that the icons aren't gameplay and are just there as shorthand to avoid spoilers, so if they don't get fixed who cares, but they look pretty bad and don't lend themselves to simple description as easily as the first batch did. I think taking another stab at it is a good idea, especially since this is obviously a community that loves the game and this might be the one scenario where I trust that people mostly aren't being negative just for the sake of being negative.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I assumed the stretch goal was super out of reach and kind of mean to tease us with at the last minute, but it's going to be closer than I thought.

Still kind of agree with this comment from the kickstarter page though:

"I'll just reiterate, that at a time when people are in financial crisis, it's extremely tacky for you to ask for more money. This project is already a wild success. The fact that you're only offering an incentive at the end if people get you slightly farther is ridiculous."

Isaac's been an extremely nice and generous dude, so I'm not going to hold this one moment against him, but deciding to arbitrarily have a stretch goal just to beat KDM after making a point of not having stretch goals for so long (and having a post urging people to increase their pledges with add-ons to help achieve it) was a weird decision.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 1, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Take out the coronavirus thing and I still think it's weird for him to abandon his no stretch goals principle and start whipping people into purchasing add-ons at the last minute just to have the biggest epeen on the platform. It's standard kickstarter behavior, and yeah it only seems weird because he personally has been better than the vast majority of people running these things (which is why I'm not holding a weird couple days against him), but it still feels off brand from what we've seen from him before.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

misguided rage posted:

He's never had a no stretch goals principle, you may be getting that confused with no kickstarter exclusives.

Fair enough. It was definitely something he said wouldn't be in this campaign, but I guess the man's allowed to change his mind. :shrug:

Cocks Cable posted:

I'm pretty sure the stretch goal is fake in that even if the campaign falls short, Issac will still make that 17th class.

He should. $12.x million is still a fuckload of money, even if x<4.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was skeptical, but it sure looks like the goal's going to be met.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I ended up pitching in a dollar. I didn't play most of the Gloomhaven campaign I own due to organizational issues and not having a regular group (the guy I played most often with moved away), despite really enjoying the game, but now I'm getting more play out of it on TTS. I assume Frosthaven will end up there someday too, so if I don't burn out on Gloomhaven over the next few months I'll buy this box too since I want to reward Isaac for being cool about people using his assets there instead of taking advantage of his generosity by using that as an excuse not to buy the game.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 1, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

I ended backing at the highest tier (Gloomhaven and Frosthaven).

I already own a copy of gloomhaven.

Please help.

Why in the world would you do that?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Can't wait. My success or failure in finding a group to play with that is probably going to determine whether my $1 backer kit pledge for Frosthaven gets upgraded or not.

zimbomonkey posted:

My original set is missing some of the item cards, I want to start over with a fresh copy, and I didn't use removable stickers the first time so everything is kind of stuck in time. I just wanted a fresh experience.

Also my wife wants to paint some of the figurines so have duplicates might be handy in case something goes horribly wrong.

Fair enough!

Edit: Retired my first character tonight and unlocked Cthulhu. The side quests were interesting. I thought they'd be a challenge, especially after seeing who made them, but whether through luck or skill (we were scoundrel and cragheart), we pretty much walked through them. Going from scoundrel to this seems like it's going to be a big adjustment (I'm already wishing we had a bigger party), and I was definitely tempted to just keep rolling with scoundrel since that was fun as hell, but what's the point of unlocking these cool toys if I never play with them?

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 2, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Did people here end up liking Jaws of the Lion? I see it has good reviews, I'm just curious to know if people think too much got dumbed down or simplified in the translation to make it more accessible.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Awesome, that's great to hear. I own Gloomhaven, and ended up playing way more on TTS than in person because setup was such a pain, but I still want to experience this game with friends in person. Can't wait to play it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just started JotL with a couple friends last week, and suddenly find myself with a girlfriend who seems to be interested in giving it a try and playing with us. Unfortunately (I think), the three classes we've played with already are demo, red guard and hatchet, leaving voidwarden, which I understand is easily the most complicated of the four. I was playing red guard, so would it probably be a good idea to switch and let her play the less complicated class? Alternately, I have the base game, so I could potentially pull in a class like scoundrel if that wouldn't be too unbalanced with the others. Any thoughts?

Edit: Other than the question, I wanted to say I loving love JotL so far. I'm still in the tutorials, so it's baby easy for me since I have played the original, but oh my god is it much nicer for taking to a friend's house and teaching people to play and everything, and my friends had a loving blast. I rarely got the original game to the table just because of how much of a pain in the rear end it was, but everything about this is so much more accessible. I'll be thrilled if a future product manages to combine that accessibility with a little more of the scope of the big boxes, but until then, I'm super glad Isaac made this game.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 25, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks for the advice! I'll plan on letting her try the tutorial scenarios (at least the two I need to get her through to catch up to where my friends are) and see how it feels. If she seems frustrated/confused, I'll mention the possibility that it's just not the right fit and see if she wants to switch, but yeah I'll try to be mindful of positioning so she can feel useful in the meantime.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Update: Before I even told her it was the only class still available or anything, my gf picked up the Voidwarden mini and started talking about how she loved it. I warned her that it was the most complicated character in the box, but she was happy to give it a shot anyway, and we made it through the first two scenarios with no problems, so it looks like we have a full group ready to go this weekend.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

That's awesome!

Like I said, just be sure to coordinate. If you don't coordinate with a Voidwarden, she's really rough to play.

Thanks, I'll make a point of doing that, especially while she and the others are still learning the ropes. In the base game I always just played with one friend, and we were sort of competing to see who could do the most cool poo poo sometimes, so there were definitely some Leroy Jenkins moments there, but since I'm the only Gloomhaven veteran here I'm perfectly happy to be more of a team player and make sure everyone else is having fun and getting their time to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

More Gloomhaven is always cool, even if it's a reimagining of the original, but until there's another Jaws of the Lion I can actually get to a table, I'm going to have to wait until it's added to the app or a new app is made for it.