Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
It's almost like they were told to make an over-the-top satire on dumb adventure games, but forgot the satire part. And they are terrible programmers. And not funny.

That fan guide sounds more entertaining than the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

This game has the best lines.

"Plant... Plant what? Plant my foot in your rear end."
"And you look like... oh my god, you look like you!"
"Strange. Books in a library? Go figure."

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It has a different taste

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
You can tell this isn't the product of a sick mind because there is nearly no discernible logic to the puzzles, and the poo poo the characters say is what a normal person would think of as "wacky".

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
“Remain seated” is actually a step in the process to solving a puzzle in this game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I don't think we're ready for anything happening in this one

Part 5. Hi, guys, gal's, hetero's...

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I...i hate this game.

It is not even something like "Vivisector" or "Headhunter", which are stupid and buggy, but it had some ambition to tell a story and were fun to watch.
This just unfunny and inconsistent blathering. It loving offends me as a human being.
At least the idiot developers went bankrupt.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I feel like I'm watching a Primus spoken word album being made. And somehow moving a well with its own pulley was the most sensible puzzle in the game thus far.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well that sure was a thing that happened.

This game is bizarre in a way that doesn't actually feel fun or interesting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This time there's boob jiggle and the most idiotic dialogue so far.

Part 6. Suddenly I'm getting very tired.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm reminded of the Old Man Murray essay on how adventure games didn't just die but instead committed elaborate suicide. Their example was the disguise puzzle from one of the Gabriel Knight games, but honestly that seems tepid compared to the raving non sequitur that is this entire game.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 16, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

I'm reminded of the Old Man Murray essay on how adventure games didn't just die but instead committed elaborate suicide. Their example was the disguise puzzle from one of the Gabriel Knight games, but honestly that seems tepid compared to the raving non sequitur that is this entire game.

"raving non-sequiturs" is right. These aren't puzzles, they're arbitrary matching games with no consistency or logic.

As is typical, really.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Is it just me, or does almost every area have some mumbling mother fucker going "hmm hmmhmm ahhh hmmhmmhm ahaha HMMM!" All of a sudden? There's one in the hallway of the door planet, and that bee gnome thing in the garden, and the guy with the broken car... I mention this because that sort of audio fills me with uncontrollable rage.

I think I hate this game?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It has a different taste.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Granny encountered a harmless and cheerful bee man and immediately proceeded to destroy his world with a cannon, trapping him between pieces of his now-broken garden paradise, presumably leaving him there to die if in fact he can die.

Before she left, though, she slapped him a few times and took his breakfast cereal, which she didn’t know she needed for anything.

Granny is not the best video game villain but she’s definitely the meanest.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I love this game. This kind of incoherency that infuriates other people is something that just leaves me in awe. This was a game that was made by multiple people, working together to create this insanity, and then ship as an actual physical release on five loving CDs. Somebody had a *vision* here. And it's not like this is something that was just slapped together. There are actual production values here.

There was a major effort in putting together this insanely stupid, insanely incoherent, insanely frustrating mess. And that fascinates me. As long as I don't have to play it, I'm all for it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

Granny encountered a harmless and cheerful bee man and immediately proceeded to destroy his world with a cannon, trapping him between pieces of his now-broken garden paradise, presumably leaving him there to die if in fact he can die.

Before she left, though, she slapped him a few times and took his breakfast cereal, which she didn’t know she needed for anything.

Granny is not the best video game villain but she’s definitely the meanest.

This is immediately after she knocked out two grown men, causing possible brain damage.

It's her new approach!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

At some point they started to apply random voice clips to events, I think.

Part 7. It's only money.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

There's something really special about some of these lines. I mean, thinking about it, a lot of them really are just raving non-sequiturs, but something about the way they're pulled off just works for me. Lines like "Yes, I remember Oscar. Where am I?" or "Hey, this is not a treasure map. It's just a route to a box of gold. There is neither a way to my recipe book on this map or to a store that sells spices."

To me, they straddle the line between "complete and utter lunacy" and "doddering old woman obsessed with getting her invaluable recipe book back, drat the consequences" just right.

But I might just be hypnotized by this game's poo poo.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TheMcD posted:

But I might just be hypnotized by this game's poo poo.

Pretty sure it's this one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We're back to the regular crazy and random Oma.

Part 8. Pity my rear end

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So I watched episode 7, not noticing I had skipped 5 and 6. I was wondering why I did not remember the dead people in the diamond room.

This game :psyduck:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Is it me, or were parts of that episode actually pretty good? The writing picked up around the elevator, it was actually coherent and kind of funny.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
I forgot the music in the house was actually pretty catchy.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Solumin posted:

Is it me, or were parts of that episode actually pretty good? The writing picked up around the elevator, it was actually coherent and kind of funny.

MelvinBison posted:

I forgot the music in the house was actually pretty catchy.

Stock·holm syn·drome
noun
feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

AltaBrown posted:

Stock·holm syn·drome
noun
feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

No one's making us stay. The word you're looking for is "masochism."

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I kind of like the tape recorder travelogue hint system as a concept, it's just so thinly spread that you can't possibly make your way from one place where it's working to the next without doing a dozen unguessable actions first. It's like they didn't have time to write and/or record the rest of the lines for it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I have given up watching this. I really hate the game. Thank you for the LP, but I'm out.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Thesaya posted:

I have given up watching this. I really hate the game. Thank you for the LP, but I'm out.
No! Come back! For real seething loathing for this game you have to watch the next part! It's got musical numbers, and a dancing number to no music, and awful puzzles and...

Part 9. I love to make baloons.

Official guide for the race puzzle:
- Use the helmet on the referee ( the guy that sleeps )
- Click on the cubes in front of granny, one by one
- When you reach the other side click on the goblet (the trophy) – “a goblet”

Fan guide for the race puzzle:
- Put the football helmet on Granny. She is (sometimes, but not always) informed that she can begin the game ; whereupon she quickly discards the helmet (what was it for?) & begins the game ! S A V E !
- This may be a bit tricky (or extremely easy), but not really hard. One way of 'winning' is as follows (there may be better, easier and more precise methods. It's possible sometimes to simply walk to the trophy and take it ... random ??) :-
There is a sort of forecourt of 4 large squares in front of the game area (near the right side of the screen). As each of the four creatures lands on its particular forecourt square, 'dose' it with sun tan lotion (gives them sticky feet --- at least temporarily). Then position Granny at the jumping off point at the middle-front of this forecourt. Click on a square in front (or behind) of one of the four creatures, and it jumps to that square, often causing one of the obstacles to rise or fall. Do the same with the other creatures until the first small square of the middle row opens up for Granny --- click on this free square and Granny jumps onto it. By continuing this procedure, Granny can proceed along the middle row from square to square (five in all). After this, she just has to click on the trophy and Granny automatically obtains a goblet. (N.B. Sometimes, Granny may have to backtrack in order to 'wake the creatures up' !).

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I dare someone to write a plot summary for this game.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
I'll see how I feel after the finale comes and goes.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The dialogue is just so bad! It's like they wrote an outline before designing the puzzles, then didn't go back and fill in the words before recording. There's been like two whole coherent and relevant sentences between all the updates so far.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Solumin posted:

The dialogue is just so bad!
It gets worse :smug:

Part 10. He might have already been death.

So, how many of you saw that plot twist coming?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Thank gently caress it is over.

Promise me SelenicMartian, that you play something nice next as a palette cleaner. Please.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I can't believe that here, in part 10, you had the audacity to say "this game has stopped making sense."

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 28, 2017

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
This isn't a good game, and I'm not going to say there's any conceivable way this could've been a good game. But this could have been at least Total Distortion levels of memorable if it had something memorable enough to latch on to instead of just being an incoherent mess.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know, out of all the things I didn't expect out of this game, actually pointing out that Granny just keeps adding middle names to her name was one of the things I expected the least.

In the end, I enjoyed this LP, and I enjoyed seeing this game. Chalk me up for brain damage, I guess.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
We made it! That's it! We're done!

Normally I'd thank you for doing the LP but I think I'm just happy the suffering is over.

It has a different taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thank you for archiving this game so future generations will not have to do it. :randno:

• Locked thread