Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
you can download it from the bsd ports or theres a potentially hacked up version if you search on google.

the dock is better then osx, i havent checked out the source code but it looks light, durable and almost enterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i freaking love the 90s

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

my new dog posted:

i freaking love the 90s

are you aware that ive taken college classes?

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
i went to college, now i touch computers badly

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
paging notorious b.s.d.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the cde theme for swing is real bad and i don't know why it still exists

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i don't really, op, but nbsd probably does

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

carry on then posted:

the cde theme for swing is real bad and i don't know why it still exists

swing is real bad and i don’t know why it still exists

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

OldAlias posted:

swing is real bad and i don’t know why it still exists

existing is real bad and i don't know why we still bother

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
cde source code is nightmare fuel

if you look at the legacy unix ports of cde the binaries are literally 20 years old because no one knows how to build the god drat thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the saddest thing about the build mess is that the best (read: stupidest) part of cde is not yet available on linux due to build issues

dtksh

god's gift to idiot shell scripters

now you can have the power and flexibility of motif with the readability and debuggability of shell code

it's loving magical

here is a lovely example of drawing an empty window, thanks to brendan gregg (more famous for better work)
code:
# 
# --- Create X11 window ---
#
XtInitialize TOP linesdemo Linesdemo $0 
XtCreateManagedWidget FORM form XmForm $TOP \
	resizePolicy:RESIZE_NONE \
	height:$max_y width:$max_x x:0 y:0
XtCreateManagedWidget DRAW draw XmDrawingArea $FORM \
	height:$max_y width:$max_x x:0 y:0 \
	background:16777215 foreground:16777215
XtDisplay DISPLAY $FORM
XSync $DISPLAY true
XtRealizeWidget $TOP
XtWindow WINDOW $DRAW

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
it builds on linux just fine

(i haven't installed it but i tried a few dtksh programs and they worked)

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
erm, it did at one point (my build was from a few months ago when i dicked around with it), i don't know if it still does today

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

There Will Be Penalty posted:

it builds on linux just fine

(i haven't installed it but i tried a few dtksh programs and they worked)

i guess it is time for me to try cde again lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
cde was almost a good project. there were a lot of good ideas in there: uniform look and feel, a single sdk, standardized RPC methods to do rich copy/paste and that kind of thing

unfortunately, as far as i can tell, development of cde pretty much stopped in 1993. and really all of it was written by hp. it wasn't truly a multi-vendor project, and that strangled it. what a pity

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what makes the dock so good?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

since ur all here: sol-air-is or sol-are-is?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Solyaris

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

enlightenment is worse

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

since ur all here: sol-air-is or sol-are-is?

The latter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't even really know what Solaris is or what it was for other than it was an operating system that at some point was p deece and had influence on the development of Linux or something

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Solaris was cheaper than the other options and didn't crash so much. That's about all really.

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

you can move it around your desktop, i think it looks better than osx, supports multiple desktop and has cool menus

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
one of my future projects is adding compositing and compiz to cde

compton works on the latest cde release

it should be as easy as adding a few headers and updating the draw function

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the saddest thing about the build mess is that the best (read: stupidest) part of cde is not yet available on linux due to build issues

dtksh

god's gift to idiot shell scripters

now you can have the power and flexibility of motif with the readability and debuggability of shell code

it's loving magical

here is a lovely example of drawing an empty window, thanks to brendan gregg (more famous for better work)
code:
# 
# --- Create X11 window ---
#
XtInitialize TOP linesdemo Linesdemo $0 
XtCreateManagedWidget FORM form XmForm $TOP \
	resizePolicy:RESIZE_NONE \
	height:$max_y width:$max_x x:0 y:0
XtCreateManagedWidget DRAW draw XmDrawingArea $FORM \
	height:$max_y width:$max_x x:0 y:0 \
	background:16777215 foreground:16777215
XtDisplay DISPLAY $FORM
XSync $DISPLAY true
XtRealizeWidget $TOP
XtWindow WINDOW $DRAW

that is something a monster would make =(

ive looked through the cde terminal source code and it looks pretty organized

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

see me too but everyone around me at work pronounces the former

interesting.

also, it's a unix system, op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cde was almost a good project. there were a lot of good ideas in there: uniform look and feel, a single sdk, standardized RPC methods to do rich copy/paste and that kind of thing

unfortunately, as far as i can tell, development of cde pretty much stopped in 1993. and really all of it was written by hp. it wasn't truly a multi-vendor project, and that strangled it. what a pity

i am sure that didn't help, but the main competition running on hardware that cost a fraction of the hardware cde ran on (and largely demanded in the early days), combined with said competitor having a cheap/free dev tools and sdks where the unix vendors still bent you over a barrel on that stuff (i think the cde sdk was still $4000+ for solaris into the late 90s?), likely remains the deeper answer

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

You can still choose CDE if you do an install of a commercial Unix if you like (I think it might still be your only available option on an AIX install; HP-UX and Solaris let you choose ancient Gnome instead iirc).

Personally I preferred olvwm back in the day.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i swear the pcs in the public library in my town centre used something like this when i was a nipper. i remember the thought that they were something that wasn't either windows xp or like, os 9 (or whatever my incredibly old mac at home used) freaked me the gently caress out as a very small c conservative child

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I vaguely remember terminals at my library using some kind of mainframe system

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the furniture store i went to last had 5250 connections to iseries boxes for all their point of sale stuff lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

I vaguely remember terminals at my library using some kind of mainframe system

dynix, the popular library whatsit, ran on weird proprietary operating systems for minicomputers

i think they ported it to unix at some point but i wouldn't know. all that poo poo is before my time really

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

the furniture store i went to last had 5250 connections to iseries boxes for all their point of sale stuff lmao

iseries didn't become popular until the 1990s, and grew throughout the decade. how weird a thought is that? the system with the 5250s might not have been installed unitl 1999 or something

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

I don't even really know what Solaris is or what it was for other than it was an operating system that at some point was p deece and had influence on the development of Linux or something

solaris was the best of the old dead proprietary unixes

least weird, best documentation, most software packages available etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Generic Monk posted:

i swear the pcs in the public library in my town centre used something like this when i was a nipper. i remember the thought that they were something that wasn't either windows xp or like, os 9 (or whatever my incredibly old mac at home used) freaked me the gently caress out as a very small c conservative child

X terminals talking to unix were briefly popular in libraries, in order to provide web browsing on the cheap without having to taint the network with windows

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
my computer broke =(

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dynix, the popular library whatsit, ran on weird proprietary operating systems for minicomputers

i think they ported it to unix at some point but i wouldn't know. all that poo poo is before my time really

googled dynix and yep, that is absolutely what I remember from my old library

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
nbsd you forgot to log out of your alt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
both the OpenWindows and CDE desktops were utter clown shows compared to NEXTSTEP

at least OpenWindows tried to be interesting though, CDE just tried to be a Brutalist knockoff of Windows and OS/2

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

which one where, I know people who will want to talk to them about taking that poo poo off their hands

(if for no other reason than to prevent it from winding up in The Mainframe Kid’s idiot hands)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

both the OpenWindows and CDE desktops were utter clown shows compared to NEXTSTEP

nextstep was single-vendor and tied to a programming language not in actual use in the field. it never had a chance.

edit: also nextstep's desktop is totally unusable without the "clip", wtf were they thinking

eschaton posted:

at least OpenWindows tried to be interesting though, CDE just tried to be a Brutalist knockoff of Windows and OS/2

cde's declared project goals were to rival windows 3.1 for usability. so, yeah.

given the state of the unix desktop at the time, shooting for windows 3.1-grade interactivity wasn't a bad goal

• Locked thread